HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What good are they if you can't find them and you slice your throat?
I said I'm scared, not because it actually happens haha That's why they are called "Safety" razors.

And you just order them online.

Pretty cheap too.

http://www.fendrihan.com/safety-razo...116_117_8.html

Old
09-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Hairball

If anyone's interested in checking out a live, local funk band (See my picture.) Democrafunk (My band) is playing at Noorish later tonight (Saturday, September 1).

Here's the details:

http://www.facebook.com/events/275177779253863/

Old
09-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Anyone own moccasins? Looking to get a pair, but I have no idea where to get them.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Hugo McStiglitz
5-14-6-1

vCash: 113
Has anyone else noticed a severe drop in the quality of what the radio station 100.3 The Bear broadcasts over the last year or so? I listen to the station driving around town and to, from and at work and it seems that their music selection and show quality has continually decreased. They constantly play the same songs over and over, I hear the same ones every day and I only listen to the station for maybe an hour total. The majority of their playlist seems to be Led Zeppelin, Nickleback and The Tragically Hip. The Paul Brown Morning Show is just plain unprofessional. They try way too hard to be funny, and it comes off as super crude, and borderline disgusting at points. Some of the humour on their morning show seems to be catered towards third graders (the show stopping in its tracks because Paul Brown burped, and the other DJs reacting to it). And Paul Brown's dumb guy schtick isn't fooling anyone. I don't understand how anyone could find the stuff he says funny. One of my co workers actually facepalmed because of the things he said at one point. And I swear his morning show repeats their news (which is exactly the same) and not so funny Hall and Ebs segment at least every 20 minutes. Yukon Jack's Big Yap has also found its way into the toilet. It used to be relatively decent and good for a laugh, but now he sounds like an angry senior citizen ranting about anything they see. All in all, it is become increasingly painful to listen to, but unfortunately, besides Sonic (which is ok) and K97(which doesn't suit my musical taste), there isn't much rock on the radio nowadays.

Old
09-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Any hikers or nature lovers out there?

Ghost Glacier, in JNP, on Mount Edith Cavell collapsed a few weeks ago leading to monumental destruction in its wake. Hardly any news media picked this up and most people seem not to know about it. I didn't know about it until I was checking trail conditions for this weekend and saw that Mount Edith, hostel, and Tonquin trailheads were all closed due to avalanche. Closed indefinitely and until further notice.

This is what I wrote on another board. Its an interesting story that strangely never became a story. News media as per usual caught with their pants down not recognizing a big story when they see it.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=25494

Old
09-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Global warming.

Old
09-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Global warming.
I feel old as dirt but I remember when Angel Glacier used to reach and connect with the glacial debris at the bottom of the valley. Decades ago ftr...I won't say how many.

Mount Edith Cavell is a unique microhabitat with its own climate due to valley, geography, surround, inclination, and very short daylight in that valley. (Sunsets early over that monumental sheer cliff mountain) Great valley to go to on a blistering hot day. But not in the foreseeable future I guess.

This glacier btw is world famous and studied by glaciologists the world over for its unique features, one of which is now lost forever. Ghost Glacier itself was a famous remote hanging glacier.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Anyone own moccasins? Looking to get a pair, but I have no idea where to get them.
Flea Market? I've seen them around from time to time. I'll try remember next time I see some.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
Has anyone else noticed a severe drop in the quality of what the radio station 100.3 The Bear broadcasts over the last year or so? I listen to the station driving around town and to, from and at work and it seems that their music selection and show quality has continually decreased. They constantly play the same songs over and over, I hear the same ones every day and I only listen to the station for maybe an hour total. The majority of their playlist seems to be Led Zeppelin, Nickleback and The Tragically Hip. The Paul Brown Morning Show is just plain unprofessional. They try way too hard to be funny, and it comes off as super crude, and borderline disgusting at points. Some of the humour on their morning show seems to be catered towards third graders (the show stopping in its tracks because Paul Brown burped, and the other DJs reacting to it). And Paul Brown's dumb guy schtick isn't fooling anyone. I don't understand how anyone could find the stuff he says funny. One of my co workers actually facepalmed because of the things he said at one point. And I swear his morning show repeats their news (which is exactly the same) and not so funny Hall and Ebs segment at least every 20 minutes. Yukon Jack's Big Yap has also found its way into the toilet. It used to be relatively decent and good for a laugh, but now he sounds like an angry senior citizen ranting about anything they see. All in all, it is become increasingly painful to listen to, but unfortunately, besides Sonic (which is ok) and K97(which doesn't suit my musical taste), there isn't much rock on the radio nowadays.
I quit listening to the bear a few years back. The morning show really did it for me, it was like listening to a WWE show. You never knew what was really and what was fake. I'll listen from time to time when there is commercials on other stations, but the Bear is far from my #1 like it use to be.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:17 PM
the pen is mightier

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Any hikers or nature lovers out there?

Ghost Glacier, in JNP, on Mount Edith Cavell collapsed a few weeks ago leading to monumental destruction in its wake. Hardly any news media picked this up and most people seem not to know about it. I didn't know about it until I was checking trail conditions for this weekend and saw that Mount Edith, hostel, and Tonquin trailheads were all closed due to avalanche. Closed indefinitely and until further notice.

This is what I wrote on another board. Its an interesting story that strangely never became a story. News media as per usual caught with their pants down not recognizing a big story when they see it.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=25494
Oh wow, i was in Jasper a couple weeks ago and they said the area was closed, but there was no reason why. I didn't realize it was that big. Too bad, that is one of my favorite places around Jasper.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:20 PM
the pen is mightier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
I said I'm scared, not because it actually happens haha That's why they are called "Safety" razors.

And you just order them online.

Pretty cheap too.

http://www.fendrihan.com/safety-razo...116_117_8.html
You can also get them on the House of Knives website, I was just down in Kelowna and picked up my straight razor there and they have blades. Or you can check with your barber.

Last edited by the pen is mightier: 09-03-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: I spell gooder.
Old
09-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Deutsche Bank Championship final round today has been wonderful... Tiger, Rory, Louis, Dustin Johnson amongst others all in the hunt. Great shots everywhere... McIlroy is just beasting right now and Tiger is 3 strokes back.

Old
09-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I quit listening to the bear a few years back. The morning show really did it for me, it was like listening to a WWE show. You never knew what was really and what was fake. I'll listen from time to time when there is commercials on other stations, but the Bear is far from my #1 like it use to be.
Yeah. I gave up on the Bear a long time a ago. Modern day rock just isn't that good, they play the same classic rocks(you got 40 years worth of music to choose from. Change it up) and the DJs are terrible. Paul Brown and Yukon Jack are the worst. I don't know how anyone listens to them. I'll listen to any other radio station in the morning to avoid them. Even Virgin or the Bounce. I can't stand the music they play but at least the DJs can get a laugh without using dick and fart jokes...and if I am going to listen to someone make those types of jokes, it will be Terry, Bill and Steve. They can be crude and immature at times too but at least they're good at it.

My Big Yap is one of the worst things on local radio. Even when I agree with him, I still find myself wanting to punch him(not that I actually would) since he comes across as such a ******.

Old
09-03-2012, 03:14 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Anybody buy a soccer jersey recently with a name on the back. I wanna get an Rvp jersey for united. Costs 101 to get it shipped here from the united website

Old
09-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Rawg
CEM

Couldn't see if we had a vehicle thread so Ill post this in OT

Basically, I'm 21 years old have a guaranteed income of 2000/mo after all bills/food and have 25,000 dollars saved up. What I don't have is credit rating or a vehicle.

Grew up in a truck household, All cars just dont seem right for me so Ive been pricing/looking at trucks, Ones Im specifically interested in

Honda Ridgeline:
http://www.honda.ca/ridgeline
Chevrolet Avalanche:
http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche-suv-truck.html
Toyota Tacoma:
http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehicles/tacoma/overview

Ofc all the typical sierra/ram1500/f150

Basically Im looking for personal reviews from people who've owned any of these vehicles, performance maintenance typical stuff, and if anyone is actually knowledgeable about these things, whats the best "bang for my buck" truck, out of the typical bigger truck (F150, Sierra, Ram) rams seem the cheapest+look the best imo, But my dads owned fords for YEARS and they are always reliable

Also, what do you recommend for paying plans? how much down payment, I don't know if I want to drop my life savings in 1 down payment on a truck etc, Ive been pricing/buildings for awhile, just not a person whose into vehicles and knows their stuff, at this moment I can price a Ram the cheapest, Ford is more expensive but has more stuff, Ridgleline/Ava are expensive with the ridgeline being smaller, I just love the looks ><

Old
09-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pen is mightier View Post
Oh wow, i was in Jasper a couple weeks ago and they said the area was closed, but there was no reason why. I didn't realize it was that big. Too bad, that is one of my favorite places around Jasper.
Mine too. Cavell area is wondrous. But Tonquin is also knocked out by this. The road leading to both are closed indefinitely.

I can't imagine the roar when Ghost Glacier came thundering down directly into Cavell lake and then the ensuing tsunami. A fair amount of water would have been displaced

On any summer day theres hundreds of people in that area. The lower trail area was completely wiped out along with bridges. The picnic area at Cavell lake wiped out, much of the road in the area buckled, overrun, looks like a tributary bed. The worst thing in this is that it isn't just a matter of repaving. The entire road infrastructure in the area would need to be redone as well as culverts and consideration that the flood created new divergent drain flow.

Then theres the matter of reassesing the safety of the whole area and with glaciologists set to study whether Angel Glacier itself is at risk of collapsing.

I've always considered that this is a special area that we have special and limited access to. That theres any nature of events in that region that could preclude road access into the region. As such everytime I've visited I've treated it as a gift that could be the last time.

This may well be the last time people visit Edith Cavell by personal vehicle.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:08 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrownHero View Post

Basically, I'm 21 years old have a guaranteed income of 2000/mo after all bills/food and have 25,000 dollars saved up. What I don't have is credit rating or a vehicle.

Grew up in a truck household, All cars just dont seem right for me so Ive been pricing/looking at trucks, Ones Im specifically interested in

Honda Ridgeline:
Chevrolet Avalanche:
Toyota Tacoma:

Basically Im looking for personal reviews from people who've owned any of these vehicles, performance maintenance typical stuff, and if anyone is actually knowledgeable about these things, whats the best "bang for my buck" truck, out of the typical bigger truck (F150, Sierra, Ram) rams seem the cheapest+look the best imo, But my dads owned fords for YEARS and they are always reliable

Also, what do you recommend for paying plans? how much down payment, I don't know if I want to drop my life savings in 1 down payment on a truck etc, Ive been pricing/buildings for awhile, just not a person whose into vehicles and knows their stuff, at this moment I can price a Ram the cheapest, Ford is more expensive but has more stuff, Ridgleline/Ava are expensive with the ridgeline being smaller, I just love the looks ><
It's really going to depend on what you plan on doing with it. If you are just buying a truck for the sake of buying one, then go test drive them all and buy the one you like best. If you are going to use it for off-roading, pulling, hauling etc.. then you have to look into it further.

Good luck finding a simple answer either, because truck guys love their truck and hate everything else.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:12 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:

Honda Ridgeline:
Chevrolet Avalanche:
Toyota Tacoma:

I don't have any truck info for you, but I'd suggest holding onto that money you have to out down on a house later, if that's the route you end up taking. Maybe just put enough down on the new truck to make the monthly payments appealing for your situation.

You'll thank me later.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Wow thanks for this news Replacement. I'm torn to hear about this I loved that area. I don't get out there as much as you do but I loved that area. Awesome that you got to be there 10 days prior, I was last there 2 years ago.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:58 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

I'm about 90% sure that I walked by Zack Stortini at West Edmonton Mall today

Old
09-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I'm about 90% sure that I walked by Zack Stortini at West Edmonton Mall today
Was he working at Orange Julius?

Old
09-04-2012, 04:15 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
Was he working at Orange Julius?

Old
09-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Musashi

Looking for someone to help me out

I was looking into ordering a hat from the Oilers shop online, but since looking last week, the hat I was looking at is no longer there. Do you guys know if it is temporarily out of stock or out of stock for good?

It was one of those old time hockey mesh hats and I notice a bunch of other teams still have them available.

If anyone could provide some info, i would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Old
09-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Gus Schmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Mine too. Cavell area is wondrous. But Tonquin is also knocked out by this. The road leading to both are closed indefinitely.

I can't imagine the roar when Ghost Glacier came thundering down directly into Cavell lake and then the ensuing tsunami. A fair amount of water would have been displaced

On any summer day theres hundreds of people in that area. The lower trail area was completely wiped out along with bridges. The picnic area at Cavell lake wiped out, much of the road in the area buckled, overrun, looks like a tributary bed. The worst thing in this is that it isn't just a matter of repaving. The entire road infrastructure in the area would need to be redone as well as culverts and consideration that the flood created new divergent drain flow.

Then theres the matter of reassesing the safety of the whole area and with glaciologists set to study whether Angel Glacier itself is at risk of collapsing.

I've always considered that this is a special area that we have special and limited access to. That theres any nature of events in that region that could preclude road access into the region. As such everytime I've visited I've treated it as a gift that could be the last time.

This may well be the last time people visit Edith Cavell by personal vehicle.
We just returned from summer vacation in Jasper. My mountaineering crazy son had planned to climb Cavell this month, so was aware of the damage the day after it occurred. We decided to take our bikes up the road to see the damage first hand. Unfortunately, we were turned back at the turn off. No access includes pedestrian and bicycle traffic as well. I expect that they will reopen the road next spring. Too many great attractions are affected. I don't think that there is any concern regarding Angel. The Ghost always seemed to be hanging on to a very vertical face precariously. That was the way it looked to me from the meadows anyway.

Old
09-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:

Honda Ridgeline:
Chevrolet Avalanche:
Toyota Tacoma:

I'd recommend not buying a new vehicle, and secondly I'd recommend buying a sedan or a small suv in it's place. Buy used from kijiji or something. And do you want to afford a truck? Gas costs alone would make me steer clear of a truck unless I was really going to be using it.

Closed Thread