HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 06:35 PM
the pen is mightier

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'd recommend not buying a new vehicle, and secondly I'd recommend buying a sedan or a small suv in it's place. Buy used from kijiji or something. And do you want to afford a truck? Gas costs alone would make me steer clear of a truck unless I was really going to be using it.
For fuel economy, the Eco-boost seems ok so far, and if you drive it nicely, the hemi is good as well. As for down payment, I think the max I would use on a vehicle is 5k, as said before, keep the rest for a house. From my personal experience, I've broken more than a few chevs at work, and ford super dutys have no suspension at all, out toyotas have had mixed reviews, and my father has miles out 3 Nissans. I guess it's probably just personal preference. Also, I'm not a fan of avalanches, the 4ft box just seems useless. The taco is intriguing though.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Wow thanks for this news Replacement. I'm torn to hear about this I loved that area. I don't get out there as much as you do but I loved that area. Awesome that you got to be there 10 days prior, I was last there 2 years ago.
I don't get there as much as I want either. I hadn't been for over a year. The weekend I did go out it was raining most of the time and there wasn't much point doing the meadows hike. But we hiked around the valley and spent some hours there one evening as the rain subsided. The sun broke through clouds then promptly set upon nearby mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Schmidt View Post
We just returned from summer vacation in Jasper. My mountaineering crazy son had planned to climb Cavell this month, so was aware of the damage the day after it occurred. We decided to take our bikes up the road to see the damage first hand. Unfortunately, we were turned back at the turn off. No access includes pedestrian and bicycle traffic as well. I expect that they will reopen the road next spring. Too many great attractions are affected. I don't think that there is any concern regarding Angel. The Ghost always seemed to be hanging on to a very vertical face precariously. That was the way it looked to me from the meadows anyway.
I generally agree with your take and anybody would think the Ghost Glacier was more unstable but its been there for a long long time. Tragically climactically the area has changed immensely even during my short lifetime(geologically speaking short, lol) and the Angel Glacier that used to be connected to the valley glacier, and used to connect to Ghost Glacier, is a fractured/faulted mess of what it once was. Theres enough of Angel Glacier that is vertical and potentially unstable that could go.

Anyway JNP says something about the extensive testing that must be done and those in the know are indicating theres a lot more to this and including what I indicated earlier. For instance nearly everybody is stating the glacier walk will be forbidden. The path won't be rebuilt. Thats likely a thing of the past. Thats always been a problem anyway with people exposing themselves to areas they shouldn't be on.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jas...emergency.aspx

Other routes and their safety are being re-evaluated. There is no certainty that said valuation will result in a safe verdict. Then theres the cost factor and how quickly that will proceed. Like I stated the road is buckled in portions, the understrata washed away, new drainage has developed. This is not a minor project constructing that road back to the parking lot. If the parks service even feels that parking lot is still safe location. Also consider that Parks Canada is facing enormous costs in fixing the Maligne lake road and this road now in the middle of downsizing and Parks cutbacks.

Again, keep in mind this was Ghost Glacier which is about as far away from that parking lot of any of the glaciers. If something major fell from the looming Angel Glacier the result would be even more catastrophic. The Parks Service in anycase know that they just dodged an immense bullet. This was only hours away from being an immense human tragedy.

Really my guess on this is that the area reverts back to a less used state(Its only been private vehicle assessible for around 50yrs and with even that being re-evaluated at different times. A couple decades ago there was some consideration about banning private users because of the safety issues on the road. They then opted for timed half hour one way access in and out before reverting back to free use a dozen yrs ago.) I envision a more protected status for the area, something like Lake O Hara, and with limited buses that drive people to the location and keep track of users. I could also see a lot more supervision taking place and perhaps guided tours of the area. Parks Canada have been looking for ways to dissuade the use of the Meadows and related trails anyway for decades. Even a few decades back the closing and dismantling of the Mount Edith Chalet was an attempt to reduce footprint on the area. That whole Cavell area has been trampled and isn't the glorious meadows it once was. Once trod upon the mountain plants take a long time, if ever, to recover.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-05-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old
09-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Rawg
CEM

Thanks to everyone who responded <3

Old
09-05-2012, 12:54 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 100
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news/artic...tml?cid=rsstsn

Quite the accomplishment for a guy who lost both his legs during a time when a lot of things were put on hold in the US.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:02 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Quite the accomplishment for a guy who lost both his legs during a time when a lot of things were put on hold in the US.
Amazing story

09-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Eytinge

Ok, the SHorcov twitter account is absolute gold. Don't usually follow parody accounts but whoever is behind that account, well done.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

now that is fantastic.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:43 AM
harpoon
FOB

The Transformers ads are bad enough but do we really have to be subjected to ads for Scientology?
C'mon Crave lets try to muster some standards shall we.

Old
09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
joestevens29

Anyone hunt? Hoping to go do some grouse hunting this weekend, followed up by geese next weekend and potentially a trip for deer the following.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
The Transformers ads are bad enough but do we really have to be subjected to ads for Scientology?
C'mon Crave lets try to muster some standards shall we.
For a small payment of 3 cents a day, I do not see any ads.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:21 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
I don't have any pennies so rounding up to 5 cents just seems too much.

Old
09-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Hugo McStiglitz
5-14-6-1

vCash: 113
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced, good quality wireless FM transmitter for ipod/mp3 that is to be used in a car? I currently own a Scosche one, but it is total garbage. Every time I hit a bump (even at speeds <30 km/h), it disconnects, which is a pain as I obviously can't re-adjust it while driving.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:35 AM
McGhostbuster
Who ya gonna call?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced, good quality wireless FM transmitter for ipod/mp3 that is to be used in a car? I currently own a Scosche one, but it is total garbage. Every time I hit a bump (even at speeds <30 km/h), it disconnects, which is a pain as I obviously can't re-adjust it while driving.
If your vehicle has a cassette deck, I'd highly recommend going to get a cassette adapter. They work 100x better than the wireless transmitters.

If not, I don't know haha.

Old
09-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Jamin

Its cool you got the original Hugo Stiglitz name. Didnt have to add any numbers or anything to it

Old
09-08-2012, 01:55 AM
Hairball

So, my new truck got keyed yesterday. Can anyone recommend a good body shop? I took it in to the dealer body shop and they quoted me $1400. And, that's too much for me. Yes I want cheap, but good.

Old
09-08-2012, 10:01 PM
ejams
5-14-6-1

I'd like to thank everyone involved with the Anythony Henday South road crew for putting up signs on the Whitemud and Henday stating that the exits for Callingwood Rd and/or Lessard Rd were closed.

HOW HARD IS IT TO POST A SIGN YOU DUMBASSES! I'd love to shove a pylon up each and every one of your *****. I don't care if you had nothing to do with signs being posted. You'd still get one.

Old
09-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Hugo McStiglitz
5-14-6-1

vCash: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
If your vehicle has a cassette deck, I'd highly recommend going to get a cassette adapter. They work 100x better than the wireless transmitters.

If not, I don't know haha.
Unfortunately, I don't have a cassette deck. (never thought I'd ever say that)

Quote:
Its cool you got the original Hugo Stiglitz name. Didnt have to add any numbers or anything to it
Yeah I guess I jumped on the name pretty quickly. He's the ultimate bada** in my opinion.

Old
09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
I'd like to thank everyone involved with the Anythony Henday South road crew for putting up signs on the Whitemud and Henday stating that the exits for Callingwood Rd and/or Lessard Rd were closed.

HOW HARD IS IT TO POST A SIGN YOU DUMBASSES! I'd love to shove a pylon up each and every one of your *****. I don't care if you had nothing to do with signs being posted. You'd still get one.
Is there not signs on ever approach to the Henday? I know there is digital signs stated this in a few spots.

Old
09-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Crabapple

vCash: 898
Anyone know what's going on downtown today? Lots of cheering and honking. Woke me up

Old
09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
Anyone know what's going on downtown today? Lots of cheering and honking. Woke me up
It's Monday!!!!

Old
09-10-2012, 12:21 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
On the flipside, around 1:00AM long, drawn out sirens were sounding from somewhere either at the campus or at the hospital.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Probably the arena supporters.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
with the add-on *******+, I dont see ads anywhere

Old
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Think it has to do with the Edmonton Catholic Schools strike going on. They mentioned on the radio this morning there was a ton of honking and cheering downtown on the strikers' and their supporters' parts.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post

++++++++++++++++++++1 to this

Me and my gf were raging.
Pain in the ass driving all the way to the Cameron Heights on-ramp then turning around.

Closed Thread