HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
I happened across this while checking out some Canadian bands on you tube.

Interesting piece. Puts things into perspective a little.

Take it for what it is please and thank you.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:44 AM
ejams

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is there not signs on ever approach to the Henday? I know there is digital signs stated this in a few spots.
Not for those exits. There were at least 17 cars on the ramp getting onto 62nd, gotta assume the same happened to most of them. The rest not waiting turned right and did a u-turn. So a ton of us were screwed by the lack of signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
++++++++++++++++++++1 to this

Me and my gf were raging.
Pain in the ass driving all the way to the Cameron Heights on-ramp then turning around.
Thanks for the backup haha. I raged so hard

Last edited by ejams: 09-11-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old
09-11-2012, 09:12 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
Not for those exits. There were at least 17 cars on the ramp getting onto 62nd, gotta assume the same happened to most of them. The rest not waiting turned right and did a u-turn. So a ton of us were screwed by the lack of signs.

Thanks for the backup haha. I raged so hard
Well Lessard is posted the signs have been there since July. As for Callingwood that must've been a short closure as everything seems to be flowing yesterday and today.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Well Lessard is posted the signs have been there since July. As for Callingwood that must've been a short closure as everything seems to be flowing yesterday and today.
Ya it was a one day thing.
But pretty poor timing to do it in the evening of a Saturday.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:51 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Ya it was a one day thing.
But pretty poor timing to do it in the evening of a Saturday.
That's because they are scheduled to work evenings.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
That's because they are scheduled to work evenings.
Sure.

Doesn't make it any less stupid.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Sure.

Doesn't make it any less stupid.
You're right they should have turned a one night job into a 1 week job and dialed up guys like you to let you know what was going on.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Seachd

Just saw a train going through Central Alberta with "DUMB LOWE" painted on one of the cars. Which one of you was it?

Old
09-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
You're right they should have turned a one night job into a 1 week job and dialed up guys like you to let you know what was going on.
Better signs would have sufficed, so I could have turned onto Whitemud going west to Lewis Estates. But whatever.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:25 PM
ejams

Quote:
Better signs would have sufficed, so I could have turned onto Whitemud going west to Lewis Estates. But whatever.
Exactly.. would take one guy with a truck trailer of signs like.. 45 minutes? Can't afford the dollars to save 100s of people some time and money and gas.
I can't stand people that defend laziness.

Old
09-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
Exactly.. would take one guy with a truck trailer of signs like.. 45 minutes? Can't afford the dollars to save 100s of people some time and money and gas.
I can't stand people that defend laziness.
Not defending laziness, you have no idea why they didn't put signs up. Fact is it's one guys job who handles the signs and trucks them around and sets them up. Maybe he was off/sick/whatever the circumstance may have been. Hell maybe even the crew doing the work had no idea that proper signage hadn't been put up and the barricade/sign guy missed his assignment completely. Just trying to point out that it's not the construction crew that you see on the job that usually handles signage.

Fact is it's construction in Alberta, if you're not used to it by now then I don't know what to say. If that's what makes you guys tick then have fun with the real day to day issues.

Old
09-11-2012, 06:09 PM
ejams

This is all true. Just pissed and had to vent.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

For any of you young guys who want to see some good hockey, TSN2 is replaying the 87 Canada Cup final against Russia!

You might recognize a few names, like Gretzky, Lemieux, Fuhr, Messier, Bourque etc..

Old
09-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
For any of you young guys who want to see some good hockey, TSN2 is replaying the 87 Canada Cup final against Russia!

You might recognize a few names, like Gretzky, Lemieux, Fuhr, Messier, Bourque etc..
It was awesome. My girlfriend came into the living room and asked why I was watching such an old hockey game. I just had to shake my head.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
It was awesome. My girlfriend came into the living room and asked why I was watching such an old hockey game. I just had to shake my head.
Your girlfriend needs to be educated.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Its weird watching the 87 Canada Cup 25yrs later. Game 1 imo featured an abysmal disorganized canadian Club spending most of the game trying to slide passes across coverage. The team found ways to look unimpressive. In contrast the Soviets moved the puck deftly, challenged better 1 0n 1, were faster reacting to the puck, and featured more slight of hand changing of angles on shots that is much more of a feature of todays game. Its interesting when watching this how much of todays NHL played game may actually be featuring Soviet or Euro skills rather than what Canada was exhibiting.
Without Grant Fuhr in net the Soviets score double digits in game 1. Also the disgraceful two hand crosscheck of Krutov (no penalty called) and Krutov comes back to the game only to get a crosscheck penalty on a comparitively slight tap on a Soviets pk.
Canada squandered several 2 man advantages in the game. Canada was plenty fancy but as ineffective as possible considering the players they had out on the ice.

Old
09-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Your girlfriend needs to be educated.
Oh I educate her, just not in the game of hockey.

Old
09-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Oh I educate her, just not in the game of hockey.
That's too bad.
Most girls nowadays are already "educated".
So many skanks.

Old
09-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its weird watching the 87 Canada Cup 25yrs later. Game 1 imo featured an abysmal disorganized canadian Club spending most of the game trying to slide passes across coverage. The team found ways to look unimpressive. In contrast the Soviets moved the puck deftly, challenged better 1 0n 1, were faster reacting to the puck, and featured more slight of hand changing of angles on shots that is much more of a feature of todays game. Its interesting when watching this how much of todays NHL played game may actually be featuring Soviet or Euro skills rather than what Canada was exhibiting.
Without Grant Fuhr in net the Soviets score double digits in game 1. Also the disgraceful two hand crosscheck of Krutov (no penalty called) and Krutov comes back to the game only to get a crosscheck penalty on a comparitively slight tap on a Soviets pk.
Canada squandered several 2 man advantages in the game. Canada was plenty fancy but as ineffective as possible considering the players they had out on the ice.
Watched it last night after work.... Russians dominated Canada playing smarter, quicker and more skillful hockey. Canada looked like they were playing in an all-star game. Hartsburg's crosscheck to the back/neck of Krutov was dirty as hell, pretty much disgraceful.

Oops, I see you mentioned that in your post.

Anyways I have no idea how that game even went to overtime. Entertaining game but sloppy and unimpressive on Canada's part.

Last edited by Philly85: 09-12-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old
09-13-2012, 07:04 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

good news for you guys I spending the next two weeks in Greece, Sweden and Russia-so I will be out of your hair for awhile

Old
09-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
good news for you guys I spending the next two weeks in Greece, Sweden and Russia-so I will be out of your hair for awhile
Have fun. I'd love to be able to go to any one of those countries, let alone all 3.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I hope you aren't anything but white.

Old
09-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Watched it last night after work.... Russians dominated Canada playing smarter, quicker and more skillful hockey. Canada looked like they were playing in an all-star game. Hartsburg's crosscheck to the back/neck of Krutov was dirty as hell, pretty much disgraceful.

Oops, I see you mentioned that in your post.

Anyways I have no idea how that game even went to overtime. Entertaining game but sloppy and unimpressive on Canada's part.
Well, Canada played better in game 2. I remember watching this series the first time being relatively unimpressed with how Canada looked and how out of sync they often were. I think more than anything due to being so spoiled with what a well oiled team the Oilers were(who would probably have fared better just on their own in this tournament) I still get that impression.

Frankly Krutov in the series looked better than Gretzky or Lemieux much of the time. One play where Krutov absolutely schools Bourque and Coffey behind the net, walks right out and almost scores. Fuhr was playing great in this tournament. Mess held onto Krutov for a bit after that save(which would've won the Cup for the Russians) and must've been thinking about how well Krutov was playing. Mess was looking skyward trying to collect before the faceoff. Mess dialed up his game and was like a blanket on Krutov any chance he got. But I think he really respected who he was facing. Canada played with an urgency in game 2 and needed every bit of it.

Its fascinating to see this again years later. Anderson was really disappointing in this tournament though. Not his best hockey by any stretch.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Kinda scary that Steve Yzerman, Cam Neely, and Scott Stevens were cut from the team. I guess they had to make room for Sutter though.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Wow watched part of the game last night. Us younger folk really did miss something special. I just watched in awe at that late PP as they had Mess, Gretz, Mario, Borque and Coffey on it. Absolutely unreal and the fact that 3 of them played for the Oilers is insane too. Looing forward to tonights game.

Closed Thread