HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2012, 01:49 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
I got summoned for jury duty. Here is what happened with me. I pretty much lost my letter and then found it. I believe you could write to them as to why you cannot do it and mail it in before a certain time.

I ended up going. There were a ton of us there. Eventually go inside a court room and sit down. We all got a number.

They start drawing numbers out of a big tub like a lottery. I think it was 12-16 at a time. They call your number you go form a line at the front. Then the judge asks each person to tell them why they cannot do it if they raised their hand. I would say at least half of the people or more would be excused.

Another 12-16 numbers are drawn. Same thing. Go up. Lots of people excused.

They keep doing this until all of the juror spots are picked. Luckily for me my number was not picked..

Old
09-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
Nope
Drunk?

Old
09-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Drunk?
What I can't say hi?

Christ.

No wonder everyone hates Albertans.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
What I can't say hi?

Christ.

No wonder everyone hates Albertans.
Or maybe it's because they flip out when someone sees someone stranded and tries to help them out.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Or maybe it's because they flip out when someone sees someone stranded and tries to help them out.
Yup.
Stranded on the internet lol

Old
09-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Yup.
So... you're not lost? I know my way around these parts of the interwebs. Nah mean.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Yup.
Are you still spinning your wheels?

Old
09-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Hi guys

Old
09-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Once you pay taxes or register for ID, your name goes into a database.

You get something in the mail with a number telling you to call a hotline on a certain day. Most of the time, the number says it's off and you're off the hook. If it's on, you show up where you're asked to and sit around all day waiting. I've never been past that point.

IIRC, they don't really interview you at that stage. So saying something sexist or racist is not going to help. If you no-show, they will issue a warrant for your arrest.

Work is, to my knowledge, never an acceptable reason to miss jury duty, but workplaces are not allowed to fire employees who are missing work because of jury duty.

They likely need to pull multiple jury's out of a large pile. It could one of two or three cases.
Depends on what you say and how you say it. Back in the day my dad got out of jury duty twice and he had a different job both times. Just said he was part of managment (which was true) and him missing time was detremental to the company or something like that

Old
09-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hi guys

Old
09-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Lol @ BobbyMac's tweets. Appears he's become quite a fan of The Wire. Atta boy Bobby! Best show of all time!

"Just another day in lockout paradise: TSN pre-season draft rankings prep by day (show on Thursday), crushing episodes of The Wire by night."

lol

"Just finished Season 2, Season Three up tonight. Jimmy McNulty would have this lockout solved by now...and never even leave the bar. #cheers"

Hilarious. Respect meter fo this dude just went off the charts yo.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Lol @ BobbyMac's tweets. Appears he's become quite a fan of The Wire. Atta boy Bobby! Best show of all time!

"Just another day in lockout paradise: TSN pre-season draft rankings prep by day (show on Thursday), crushing episodes of The Wire by night."

lol

"Just finished Season 2, Season Three up tonight. Jimmy McNulty would have this lockout solved by now...and never even leave the bar. #cheers"

Hilarious. Respect meter fo this dude just went off the charts yo.
Yeah, I tweeted at him earlier saying Season 3 was my fave of the series. He then went on to say it wasn't available on iTunes or something. LOL.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:52 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Depends on what you say and how you say it. Back in the day my dad got out of jury duty twice and he had a different job both times. Just said he was part of managment (which was true) and him missing time was detremental to the company or something like that
I don't think this is true anymore.

For one thing, you never talk to anyone in person. They ask you to file a claim. For another, the paperwork clearly stated (when I got) that missing work was not an acceptable reason and that all workplaces are legally obligated to provide leave of absence time for jury duty commitments.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I don't think this is true anymore.

For one thing, you never talk to anyone in person. They ask you to file a claim. For another, the paperwork clearly stated (when I got) that missing work was not an acceptable reason and that all workplaces are legally obligated to provide leave of absence time for jury duty commitments.
I wont pretend to know more then someone who experienced it but he got out twice with work being the reason.

Im sure there are exceptions. Dr. Smith says on his claim I have heart surgery planned for tuesday im sure they pick a different juror. They probably just say it so 99.9% or jurors dont list work as a reason. The guy missing his mcdonalds shift is alot different then the CEO missing merger negotiations

Old
09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Dave
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well, I posted about being summons to jury duty the day after I got the letter. Got the letter, didn't bother opening it the first day, opened it the day after. It said that you have to respond within 5 days of receiving the letter or else you face jail time or fines, I figure I'm fine, I can send it back mid next week.

Well, tonight I'm filling it out and I notice at the top of the letter that it's dated september 11..... So now I've passed the deadline, I guess I'm off to jail now.

I wonder if it's better to not send it in now, or send it in late.

Old
09-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Well, I posted about being summons to jury duty the day after I got the letter. Got the letter, didn't bother opening it the first day, opened it the day after. It said that you have to respond within 5 days of receiving the letter or else you face jail time or fines, I figure I'm fine, I can send it back mid next week.

Well, tonight I'm filling it out and I notice at the top of the letter that it's dated september 11..... So now I've passed the deadline, I guess I'm off to jail now.

I wonder if it's better to not send it in now, or send it in late.
Really? Not even sure why you would have to debate this.

Old
09-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
I wont pretend to know more then someone who experienced it but he got out twice with work being the reason.

Im sure there are exceptions. Dr. Smith says on his claim I have heart surgery planned for tuesday im sure they pick a different juror. They probably just say it so 99.9% or jurors dont list work as a reason. The guy missing his mcdonalds shift is alot different then the CEO missing merger negotiations
Yes I've known people who have gotten out of Jury Duty with work as their reasoning. The one time though it was a higher level position and the HR co-ordinator wrote a letter for her on her behalf stating how important her position was to the company and the time of year that it was for the company and blah blah blah. Week or so later she got a letter back saying she was excused from jury duty.

Old
09-19-2012, 02:56 PM
joestevens29

You watch SOA yet this year Reimer?

Old
09-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Dave
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote:
Really? Not even sure why you would have to debate this.
Sending it in is proof of it being late. Not sending it in isn't, it could've been lost in the mail for all they know, the recipient could be on vacation, have changed addresses, etc.

Their system seems to be structured poorly. Allot more days for a response, or phone the person whom you contacted for jury duty if the deadline has been missed, or send an other letter.

Regardless, I mailed it.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Sending it in is proof of it being late. Not sending it in isn't, it could've been lost in the mail for all they know, the recipient could be on vacation, have changed addresses, etc.

Their system seems to be structured poorly. Allot more days for a response, or phone the person whom you contacted for jury duty if the deadline has been missed, or send an other letter.

Regardless, I mailed it.
You basically just listed off a handful of reasons as to why you sent it back late. It's not a foolproof system. No charge whatsoever could ever stand up because there is absolutely no proof when you received the letter. In order for them to have any legal recourse whatsoever they would have to hand deliver it to you and document it.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You watch SOA yet this year Reimer?
Nope haven't watched it this year last year or the year before.

Haven't watched any new shows yet this year. Still finishing up Call Me Fitz and the 3rd season of Deadwood then I will get back into TV shows. I watch very little TV shows over the summer. Now with no hockey this year I'll likely catch up and then finally get into stuff like Breaking Bad and SOA that I've been wanting too.

Once I finish Fitz and Deadwood I'll likely get into the latest and hopefully final season of Weeds first.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:17 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Nope haven't watched it this year last year or the year before.

Haven't watched any new shows yet this year. Still finishing up Call Me Fitz and the 3rd season of Deadwood then I will get back into TV shows. I watch very little TV shows over the summer. Now with no hockey this year I'll likely catch up and then finally get into stuff like Breaking Bad and SOA that I've been wanting too.

Once I finish Fitz and Deadwood I'll likely get into the latest and hopefully final season of Weeds first.
I'm wanted to start Deadwood, but there just isn't time right now.

SOA is really good, I was hooked right off the start.

Breaking Bad is hit and miss. I've watched everything, but there are times that I rather watch paint dry.

Boardwalk Empire fired up the other day too, so I'll have to get into that again.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I'm wanted to start Deadwood, but there just isn't time right now.

SOA is really good, I was hooked right off the start.

Breaking Bad is hit and miss. I've watched everything, but there are times that I rather watch paint dry.

Boardwalk Empire fired up the other day too, so I'll have to get into that again.
Yeah I don't mind not watching some shows week to week because then I can just download the season and watch them all back to back. LAst year I think I only did that with Californication, Eastbound and Down and Dexter. Sometimes going week to week you forget what happened the prior week, but I guess that's why they do the previously on.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yeah I don't mind not watching some shows week to week because then I can just download the season and watch them all back to back. LAst year I think I only did that with Californication, Eastbound and Down and Dexter. Sometimes going week to week you forget what happened the prior week, but I guess that's why they do the previously on.
I'm really not a fan of watching shows when they are first aired. I like to kick back one evening and just watch 3 or 4 or 8 shows all in one night. Don't like to commit to things.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
I'm really not a fan of watching shows when they are first aired. I like to kick back one evening and just watch 3 or 4 or 8 shows all in one night. Don't like to commit to things.
LOL. I'm the exact same way. I just watched all four seasons of Sons of Anarchy on Netflix just a couple months ago in less than a week.

I haven't watched last seasons Breaking Bad until the final season is winding down.

Depending on the show, I like to watch a full season/series (minus the finale) then I watch live finale.

Closed Thread