HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-20-2012, 03:39 PM
  #801
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...898/story.html

Holly **** can you say gold digger.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 04:19 PM
  #802
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...898/story.html

Holly **** can you say gold digger.
I'm on the fence with gold diggers like that. At least back in the day these girls didn't have to worry about viagra.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
09-20-2012, 04:31 PM
  #803
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'm on the fence with gold diggers like that. At least back in the day these girls didn't have to worry about viagra.
If anything the viagra makes it better for them. Back in the day they were with them for the money and had to at least consumate the marrage. That might have been a 6 hour ordeal. Now they at least know they can do what they want for 6 hours.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 05:18 PM
  #804
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
hahah 3 times her age... Playaaaa

Turrican* is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 12:24 AM
  #805
ales83fan
Registered User
 
ales83fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
Anyone hear about what happened in the River Valley?

I was just running and I heard some really loud shouting, and what sounded like a splash.

I wasn't too close, so I thought that maybe I was wrong, but then I saw cops and sirens and a helicopter. It was pretty wild, but nothing on the news.

Anyone hear anything?

ales83fan is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 02:39 AM
  #806
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Anyone hear about what happened in the River Valley?

I was just running and I heard some really loud shouting, and what sounded like a splash.

I wasn't too close, so I thought that maybe I was wrong, but then I saw cops and sirens and a helicopter. It was pretty wild, but nothing on the news.

Anyone hear anything?
Wow that's creepy. I was at Hawrelak late this afternoon/early evening, between 5 and 7 to go for a long walk with some friends... we crossed the bridge (by Mr. Katz's house, I don't even know if there's a name for it) into the westside, went down by the river and we saw the helicopter directly overhead flying quite low. It stayed in that area for a few minutes. That was around 6ish i think. Didn't hear any sirens or notice any sense of panic amongst the public though. There were people everywhere, it was busy.

The one thing I thought I noticed, which I'm not sure was related to anything, was a lot of smoke in the air blocking out the sun. Seemed hazier than usual. Some beautiful images though.

Philly85 is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 10:27 AM
  #807
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Anyone hear about what happened in the River Valley?

I was just running and I heard some really loud shouting, and what sounded like a splash.

I wasn't too close, so I thought that maybe I was wrong, but then I saw cops and sirens and a helicopter. It was pretty wild, but nothing on the news.

Anyone hear anything?
The Edmonton emergency tweets said there was a rescue team in the water.

If it wasn't reported we can assume its a (hopefully failed) suicide attempt, as suicides are not reported on the news.

They are actually very common from the high level bridge.

Valic is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 10:28 AM
  #808
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Anyone hear about what happened in the River Valley?

I was just running and I heard some really loud shouting, and what sounded like a splash.

I wasn't too close, so I thought that maybe I was wrong, but then I saw cops and sirens and a helicopter. It was pretty wild, but nothing on the news.

Anyone hear anything?
There was a jumper on the high level last night who took the plunge.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
  #809
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
The Edmonton emergency tweets said there was a rescue team in the water.

If it wasn't reported we can assume its a (hopefully failed) suicide attempt, as suicides are not reported on the news.

They are actually very common from the high level bridge.
Yes they are about an average of 1 jumper a month and about half of them usually jump and die.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 11:09 AM
  #810
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yes they are about an average of 1 jumper a month and about half of them usually jump and die.
Something about the whole jumping and surviving that would scare me away from using that bridge as a suicide method.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
09-24-2012, 11:11 AM
  #811
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Something about the whole jumping and surviving that would scare me away from using that bridge as a suicide method.
By jumper I don't actually mean they jumped off the bridge. I assume it's a 100% success rate if you do jump. I just meant jumper as in someone out there preparing to jump and then gets taked down.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 11:13 AM
  #812
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
By jumper I don't actually mean they jumped off the bridge. I assume it's a 100% success rate if you do jump. I just meant jumper as in someone out there preparing to jump and then gets taked down.
Nah, it's not 100%. Heard a few times about guys jumping and surviving.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
09-24-2012, 11:18 AM
  #813
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Nah, it's not 100%. Heard a few times about guys jumping and surviving.
Oh wow, that's a huge fail. Wouldn't you just have to jump closer to where the pilers are for the supports as opposed to say right in the middle? Guess it's still always a possibility to survive.

Either way I was shocked to hear there is an average of one a month.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 11:25 AM
  #814
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Oh wow, that's a huge fail. Wouldn't you just have to jump closer to where the pilers are for the supports as opposed to say right in the middle? Guess it's still always a possibility to survive.

Either way I was shocked to hear there is an average of one a month.
It also depends on how much water and crap and what's washed up underneath. Personally even if only 1 out of 100 survived, I wouldn't want to be that 1.

I'm not shocked about 1 per month. I think if they released suicide numbers or wrote about them like the murders that people would be shocked at just how many there are.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
  #815
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It also depends on how much water and crap and what's washed up underneath. Personally even if only 1 out of 100 survived, I wouldn't want to be that 1.

I'm not shocked about 1 per month. I think if they released suicide numbers or wrote about them like the murders that people would be shocked at just how many there are.
Very true. For as many times as there is a murder in this city I hear about at least 2 suicides and that's just from one source.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 12:22 PM
  #816
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
How the hell does Replacement have darn near 26,000 posts?

McRib is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 12:24 PM
  #817
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
How the hell does Replacement have darn near 26,000 posts?
From doing what you did above 26,000 times?

Just a guess.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 03:25 PM
  #818
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,131
vCash: 500
I'm friends with a few fire fighters and they tell me plenty of people survive the jumps from the high level bridge. In fact I personally knew of 2 people who jumped at, or near he middle of the bridge and survived. Both guys suffered really bad injuries. But one of my friends who is a retired fire chief said that there are lots and lots of people who try to commit suicide by jumping off the high level bridge and that much, if not almost all of it goes unreported in the local news. He told me "back in the day", which really wasn't that long ago, maybe 5-10 years ago, that at least 50 and up to 100 people per year would try to jump off for whatever reason. It's not always just suicide attempts.

Philly85 is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 03:31 PM
  #819
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I'm friends with a few fire fighters and they tell me plenty of people survive the jumps from the high level bridge. In fact I personally knew of 2 people who jumped at, or near he middle of the bridge and survived. Both guys suffered really bad injuries. But one of my friends who is a retired fire chief said that there are lots and lots of people who try to commit suicide by jumping off the high level bridge and that much, if not almost all of it goes unreported in the local news. He told me "back in the day", which really wasn't that long ago, maybe 5-10 years ago, that at least 50 and up to 100 people per year would try to jump off for whatever reason. It's not always just suicide attempts.
So it's guys that forget to tie their bungee cord? Or just plain ****ing idiots that want to make a splash?

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
09-24-2012, 03:35 PM
  #820
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Yea read the paper this morning and not a single mention of the river valley. So 1 jump a month and this stuff doesnt make the news, who knew there were so many jumps

Jamin is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 03:38 PM
  #821
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
How the hell does Replacement have darn near 26,000 posts?
lol

I tell my wife I'm not on a chatline and staying out of trouble..

I was a mod here as well, trust me it adds a few thousand to the post count...

Replacement is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 03:50 PM
  #822
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
lol

I tell my wife I'm not on a chatline and staying out of trouble..

I was a mod here as well, trust me it adds a few thousand to the post count...
I can't really see how you could add more to your post count.

Just an excuse

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
09-24-2012, 04:05 PM
  #823
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I'm friends with a few fire fighters and they tell me plenty of people survive the jumps from the high level bridge. In fact I personally knew of 2 people who jumped at, or near he middle of the bridge and survived. Both guys suffered really bad injuries. But one of my friends who is a retired fire chief said that there are lots and lots of people who try to commit suicide by jumping off the high level bridge and that much, if not almost all of it goes unreported in the local news. He told me "back in the day", which really wasn't that long ago, maybe 5-10 years ago, that at least 50 and up to 100 people per year would try to jump off for whatever reason. It's not always just suicide attempts.
So then what is it? I've heard of people repelling/trying to repel from the high level bridge.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 04:05 PM
  #824
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Yea read the paper this morning and not a single mention of the river valley. So 1 jump a month and this stuff doesnt make the news, who knew there were so many jumps
Yes because they don't talk about/ report suicide in the news.

Reimer is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 06:23 PM
  #825
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
So then what is it? I've heard of people repelling/trying to repel from the high level bridge.
in some instances, it's trying to escape from police, I know of 2 cases where that's been what/why it happened. My friend also told me a lot of young, crazy kids want to play games sometimes and try crawling and climbing underneath the bridge, sort of daring each other and what not. Believe it or not there are crazies out there who don't really give a **** and want to push the limits. I also heard of several incidents involving people being intoxicated/high, just out of it in general who have stumbled over or just didn't know what they were doing.

Philly85 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.