HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

vCash: 500
Hey, where is cheap Wings night on Thursdays Edmonton??

Old
09-25-2012, 01:23 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Anyone ever get excited for a new show, but then when you find out it's on regular cable you feel cheated?

This new Vegas show has me thinking that way.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Anyone ever get excited for a new show, but then when you find out it's on regular cable you feel cheated?

This new Vegas show has me thinking that way.
lol. That's with Dennis Quaid right?

Old
09-25-2012, 01:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
lol. That's with Dennis Quaid right?
Yep and the commish guy.

I just love what HBO did with the Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire, don't think we'll see that on CBS with this show.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Yep and the commish guy.

I just love what HBO did with the Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire, don't think we'll see that on CBS with this show.
No you definitely won't. That's why if you're like me 99% of tv shows that I watch are on either HBO or Showtime.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:19 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Wouldn't be hard to be better than Boardwalk Empire.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Wouldn't be hard to be better than Boardwalk Empire.
Fair statement but consider what's on TV it is remarkably easy to be much much worse than it.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
No you definitely won't. That's why if you're like me 99% of tv shows that I watch are on either HBO or Showtime.
So true.

Just started watching Homeland. Mostly because it's on Showtime.

Skipping Vegas in spite of Michael Chiklis for the same reasoning.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Philly85
Moody'

They're re-airing The Sopranos in its entirety on HBO Canada right now, same with The Wire which has just started season 4. I'm glad because those are 2 of the best shows ever, will tide me over for awhile, at least until HBO airs their winter and spring stuff. Boardwalk Empire is just too boring for my liking. Not many likeable characters. Treme also isn't my cup of tea, I watched season 1 and parts of season 2 but I can't follow through with it. It's aa very dull show IMO, even though the characters are much much better than any in BE. But all the business with the food, the music, the hustle... doesn't appeal to me. Nothing ever happens.

I'm definitely going to give Homeland a shot, heard nothing but great things. Claire Danes has really hit her stride as an actress these past few years. She's wonderful.

Refuse to watch anything on basic cable, anything from the big networks. The last television program I watched on CBC was Da Vinci's Inquest, which I thought was excellent.

Last edited by Philly85: 09-25-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old
09-25-2012, 10:54 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Fair statement but consider what's on TV it is remarkably easy to be much much worse than it.
Eh, I watch everything. I hold things to different standards - I'm not watching Doctor Who or Psych with the same standard I would watch Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, so it's hard for me to say "A is better than B". I understand the people who are only interested in "B", but to me these are the same types that say things like "I only read non-fiction".

That said, HBO and Showtime are just not special right now. Homeland and Game of Thrones are great, but everything else on their schedule falls under some criticism. Treme is not The Wire, Boardwalk is not The Sopranos. Dexter, True Blood, Californication and Weeds have all slipped.

Basic cablers and some networks are producing comparable stuff. FX alone, with Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Louie and Archer have a line-up that's just as good, if not better. Suits is everybit as strong coming from USA. The Good Wife has, at times, been a better show than any on TV, and it's CBS of all networks.

Last edited by SK13: 09-25-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old
09-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Boardwalk Empire was disappointing from the start. The perfect answer to the question how do you take Steve Buscemi, Michael Shannon, Michael Pitt, Gretchen Mol, and make them boring cardboard cast members. If I ever have trouble with insomnia I just fire up a Boardwalk Empire episode. The only reason this show is continuing is HBO put so much into it to cancel it. Plus people think its somehow great.

Weed was stupid from the start and as uninteresting, unfunny as a show could be on the topic. I almost liked Mary Louise Parker before this series. Awful actress. Its like seeing a boring Republican in the role. Could butcher any line handed to her with ham handed acting. Someone different like Christina Ricci would've been interesting in this role but instead we see her in the beyond awful Pan AM series.
If people want to see what a program about drugs should look like go buy the movie "Spun" from a few years back. or of course Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Then watch Weeds and wonder how anybody ever thought this would be funny, dramatic, or anything.

Hell on Wheels is decent.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:54 AM
senorchang

I would like to take this moment and recommend every one here watch Community. All 3 seasons are available on Netflix.

Eat Fresh.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:03 AM
oilers1994

Community is an amazing show. I hope they don't finish after this season .
#sixseasonsandamovie

Old
09-26-2012, 01:49 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers1994 View Post
Community is an amazing show. I hope they don't finish after this season .
#sixseasonsandamovie
If it holds most of it's audience on Fridays, it will be renewed. NBC is rebounding nicely this year, but Friday standards are low and their sitcoms are still struggling.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:03 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimer View Post
no you definitely won't. That's why if you're like me 99% of tv shows that i watch are on either hbo or showtime.
+ amc

Last edited by 40oz: 09-26-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old
09-26-2012, 09:32 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Eh, I watch everything. I hold things to different standards - I'm not watching Doctor Who or Psych with the same standard I would watch Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, so it's hard for me to say "A is better than B". I understand the people who are only interested in "B", but to me these are the same types that say things like "I only read non-fiction".

That said, HBO and Showtime are just not special right now. Homeland and Game of Thrones are great, but everything else on their schedule falls under some criticism. Treme is not The Wire, Boardwalk is not The Sopranos. Dexter, True Blood, Californication and Weeds have all slipped.

Basic cablers and some networks are producing comparable stuff. FX alone, with Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Louie and Archer have a line-up that's just as good, if not better. Suits is everybit as strong coming from USA. The Good Wife has, at times, been a better show than any on TV, and it's CBS of all networks.
FX falls into HBO/Showtime for me. They allow it all.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

Yes FX I forgot about that one, that would be the other network that makes up 99% of the shows I watch. As for your assessment of HBO & Showtime you are 100% correct about the shows you listed. They have all begun going downhill to a point where they just need to be ended sooner than later.

Same goes with Eastbound and Down. I thought it was starting to get weaker and was happy they made the call to end it after three seasons and now they've decided to come back for a 4th to likly put the show on suicide watch. Only show I said this about and ahve been proven wrong is Curb Your Enthusiasm, that's a show that at first I wished it ended after its origianlly planned 5 seasons but it just keeps on giving. After each season it has done I keep saying I'd be happy if it ended there but they keep doing another season and they keep holding to a high standard.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
+ amc
Yes I would add AMC to this kind of quality programming however I've never watched any shows from AMC.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:14 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yes FX I forgot about that one, that would be the other network that makes up 99% of the shows I watch. As for your assessment of HBO & Showtime you are 100% correct about the shows you listed. They have all begun going downhill to a point where they just need to be ended sooner than later.

Same goes with Eastbound and Down. I thought it was starting to get weaker and was happy they made the call to end it after three seasons and now they've decided to come back for a 4th to likly put the show on suicide watch. Only show I said this about and ahve been proven wrong is Curb Your Enthusiasm, that's a show that at first I wished it ended after its origianlly planned 5 seasons but it just keeps on giving. After each season it has done I keep saying I'd be happy if it ended there but they keep doing another season and they keep holding to a high standard.
I still like the direction Californication went with Runkle being bigger.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I still like the direction Californication went with Runkle being bigger.
Yeah but the back and forth with his ex-wife is getting lame. Either make the guy married or make him single.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:38 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yeah but the back and forth with his ex-wife is getting lame. Either make the guy married or make him single.
I feel the same about breaking bad. Seems like filler when they keep adding Walt's wife to the story.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I feel the same about breaking bad. Seems like filler when they keep adding Walt's wife to the story.
I've yet to start watching that one. Gonna pound out the latest season of weeds here next. I believe it has finished airing. Kind of funny that they start it mid summer to have it end before Dexter is back on. You can tell they are struggling. Just end the damn show already. It was great for 3 seasons and then fell off a cliff.

Old
09-26-2012, 10:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I've yet to start watching that one. Gonna pound out the latest season of weeds here next. I believe it has finished airing. Kind of funny that they start it mid summer to have it end before Dexter is back on. You can tell they are struggling. Just end the damn show already. It was great for 3 seasons and then fell off a cliff.
I really like the characters it has, but the story line at time isn't there for me.

I have season one of Weeds somewhere. Never watched Dexter yet. Pretty much won't be starting anything new anytime soon either. SOA, Boardwalk Empire, Fitz I think is back, Flashpoint. That will be enough for now. Especially with Thursday night football this year.

Old
09-26-2012, 03:33 PM
DancesWithWookies

vCash: 907
I just thought you should know the Winnipeg Jets beat you last night at the MTS. The score was 7-1. Better luck next time

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1264369

Old
09-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
I just thought you should know the Winnipeg Jets beat you last night at the MTS. The score was 7-1. Better luck next time

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1264369
What is this i don't even

Closed Thread