HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Oilers WON'T trade the 1st overall pick

Old
06-15-2012, 12:03 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
The Oilers WON'T trade the 1st overall pick

That's the news coming from Mark Spector of Sportsnet.

Kind of cramps my idea, as I was a firm believer that they would flip flop with the Blue Jackets.

He also reports that the Oilers won't decide who they are taking until Friday morning.

Quote:
Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec

#Oilers won't trade No. 1 overall pick. Also won't decide until Thursday night, Friday morning who they'll take.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:04 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
I'm a big Ryan Murray fan, but if they take him 1st overall, they are making a big mistake. There are likely 25+ teams that would want Yakupov first overall and the Oilers are missing a chance to move back, gain assets and still get a great franchise D.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:07 PM
JackBauer

vCash: 500
im calling B/S on this. why would the Oilers deal in absolutes a full week ahead of the draft? the equivalent would be if CLB said they weren't going to listen to Nash offers a WEEK before the deadline...that's just poor management.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I'm a big Ryan Murray fan, but if they take him 1st overall, they are making a big mistake. There are likely 25+ teams that would want Yakupov first overall and the Oilers are missing a chance to move back, gain assets and still get a great franchise D.
I agree. Murray just doesn't seem like the kind of player who should go #1.

Johnny McBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:09 PM
H2O

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
im calling B/S on this. why would the Oilers deal in absolutes a full week ahead of the draft? the equivalent would be if CLB said they weren't going to listen to Nash offers a WEEK before the deadline...that's just poor management.
Quite possible with the Oilers.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:12 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

They are going to draft yakupov. If he turns out to be the real deal, his value will be higher, and edm can trade him for a #1 dman +...

There is no reason to not take the best player in the draft regardless of his position.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
They are going to draft yakupov. If he turns out to be the real deal, his value will be higher, and edm can trade him for a #1 dman +...

There is no reason to not take the best player in the draft regardless of his position.
i think they should do this, but instead trade Hall for a #1 d-man as he will have more value, is a few more years developed, and his style of play will likely lead to an injury filled career.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:21 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I feel bad for the Oilers and Oilers fans because they have horrendous management running the show there. How many years in a row can you have mediocre management continue to run this team into the ground. I get the idea of building through the draft, but that doesn't mean a team can't be competitive. And that's Tambellini and Lowe's fault - this team is not competitive with the shape they're in. And now they add someone who the team tuned out the previous time he was there in MacTavish. I honestly hope that if Edmonton fails again this year, Katz cleans house and brings in some real hockey guys to run the show.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

He should be fired if anyone besides Yakopuv goes first. If you plan on drafting someone else, move back and gain assets. Would make no sence since he is pretty easily the consensus number 1 this year. There is no debate this year.

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Seems like they are in love with the idea of drafting #1 overall (although it's getting to be a farce) despite not being sold on taking the "consensus" #1 pick-Yakupov. IMO, they really want to take Murray, but know he's not #1 worthy.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:26 PM
zeus3007*

Spector is a dummy. The entire idea makes no sense. What information are the Oilers missing that prevents them from making the decision prior to Friday morning? It makes no sense at all. Shut up Spector.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

The thing with they wanting Murray is that they can't move back beyond the 2nd overall pick and still be guaranteed they'll end up with him. The BJ knows they'll get one of Murray/Yakupov so they really have no interest in giving assets to move up. If the Oils want Murray they're basically stuck picking him 1st over all.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:30 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

What if the Oilers are dead set on taking Murray, and the Jackets want either Murray or Yakupov? They can't move down further than two, because the team trading up will take Yak, and Columbus will take Murray. However, if Columbus is okay with taking Murray (obviously, they'd prefer Yak) and knows Edmonton wants him, they don't have to move anyway, because they know that if Edmonton really wants Murray, they can't move anywhere other than #2 without losing him. They have the power in this scenario.

WonderTwinsUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:31 PM
syc

Not true because it's Mark Spector. Expect them to trade down now.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
What if the Oilers are dead set on taking Murray, and the Jackets want either Murray or Yakupov? They can't move down further than two, because the team trading up will take Yak, and Columbus will take Murray. However, if Columbus is okay with taking Murray (obviously, they'd prefer Yak) and knows Edmonton wants him, they don't have to move anyway, because they know that if Edmonton really wants Murray, they can't move anywhere other than #2 without losing him. They have the power in this scenario.
Beat you to it

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:39 PM
mooseOAK*

How can the Oilers not know who they are taking by now? What would they be waiting for?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
However, if Columbus is okay with taking Murray (obviously, they'd prefer Yak)
Don't be so sure of that...Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch went on EDM radio yesterday and seemed fairly convinced the Jackets don't have Yakupov as their #1 player.

It would not stun me if both the Oilers and Jackets have Murray as their #1 ranked player.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
victor

Spector is likely right, and in this (one) case, there are actually quotes from people like Lowe and Tambellini that back up his assertion.

Without an overpay, Edmonton's going to draft Yakupov. No one is going to overpay, so Edmonton is going to draft Yakupov. Case closed.

I feel sorry for the "talking heads" this year. No Taylor-Tyler disputes to write about? No RNH vs Landeskog? They'll try and keep creating drama for the next week, and then move on to the "Is Garrision going to sign with Toronto, or does he miss his friends in Vancouver?" articles.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
The thing with they wanting Murray is that they can't move back beyond the 2nd overall pick and still be guaranteed they'll end up with him. The BJ knows they'll get one of Murray/Yakupov so they really have no interest in giving assets to move up. If the Oils want Murray they're basically stuck picking him 1st over all.
That is the problem. Like I've said before, take the popular rumor of trading with Toronto for #5. There's absolutely no way they'd know who they're getting at that spot in a draft like this, where anyone could go between 2-5.

If they want Murray they may have to trade with Columbus or take him first overall. If they trade down further they run the risk of getting neither Yakupov nor Murray, and they could feel that that's worse than just drafting Murray at #1.

But the severity of that is based entirely on the Oilers scouts. I don't think missing out on Murray is much of a problem, and I also don't think he'll be off the board until at least 5th overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
How can the Oilers not know who they are taking by now? What would they be waiting for?
They "didn't know" if they were taking Hall or RNH until the night before either.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:46 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
That's the news coming from Mark Spector of Sportsnet.

Kind of cramps my idea, as I was a firm believer that they would flip flop with the Blue Jackets.

He also reports that the Oilers won't decide who they are taking until Friday morning.
Does spector even have sources? Or is this his usual say the thing anyone with a brain can see and then magically take (and get) credit for later? That's my bet

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Don't be so sure of that...Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch went on EDM radio yesterday and seemed fairly convinced the Jackets don't have Yakupov as their #1 player.

It would not stun me if both the Oilers and Jackets have Murray as their #1 ranked player.
If that's the case then why all the hand-wringing by the Oilers over the pick? I think it's likely that they want Murray, but acknowledge he's not #1 overall material.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Musashi

oilers better take yakupov

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:06 PM
wickedwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

Then both the Oilers and Jackets are stupid. Of course, this is the Oilers and Jackets we're talking about, so that's a legitimate possibility.

Don't take D with the first pick unless the defenseman is far and away the best player, which Murray is not. Forwards are much more projectable.

wickedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:29 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
If that's the case then why all the hand-wringing by the Oilers over the pick? I think it's likely that they want Murray, but acknowledge he's not #1 overall material.
I can't see either team having Murray at #1. It's most likely that the Oilers just want to drum up a trade market at the draft and see if they can rip someone off. Let it be known that #1 overall is on the market and see if you can start a bidding war. If nobody bites, let it be known that you may not want to draft Yakupov, then see if that creates a market, if nobody bites, you just draft Yakupov and have a scary top 6.

I think the Oilers look at this situation and wonder if they can pry a #1 Dman from a team plus other assets. If such a trade is possible then they may take it. If not, maybe the discussion leads to another trade where other prospects or roster players are moved to fill needs. In any case it's not a bad idea to get a discussion going with other GMs at the draft.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
25+ teams who would want him but only 1 team with a draft position that would guarantee Ryan Murray.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote