HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Oilers WON'T trade the 1st overall pick

Old
06-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
I can't see either team having Murray at #1. It's most likely that the Oilers just want to drum up a trade market at the draft and see if they can rip someone off. Let it be known that #1 overall is on the market and see if you can start a bidding war. If nobody bites, let it be known that you may not want to draft Yakupov, then see if that creates a market, if nobody bites, you just draft Yakupov and have a scary top 6.

I think the Oilers look at this situation and wonder if they can pry a #1 Dman from a team plus other assets. If such a trade is possible then they may take it. If not, maybe the discussion leads to another trade where other prospects or roster players are moved to fill needs. In any case it's not a bad idea to get a discussion going with other GMs at the draft.
The deal I saw that made sense was trade the pick to the Leafs for the #5 and Gardiner and then sign Schultz. They might miss out on Murray but could take Reinhart, Reilly, or Trouba who all have bigger upside anyway. In a single stroke they would have completely re-tooled their d.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Nizdizzle
Ignore List: 64

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
The deal I saw that made sense was trade the pick to the Leafs for the #5 and Gardiner and then sign Schultz. They might miss out on Murray but could take Reinhart, Reilly, or Trouba who all have bigger upside anyway. In a single stroke they would have completely re-tooled their d.
That's far from making sense for the Leafs. Takes two to tango in a trade .

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
oilersfan11

The choices for the Oilers is

A.Yakupov

and

B.Yakupov

C.Yakupov

oh and ya

D.Yakupov

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
That's far from making sense for the Leafs. Takes two to tango in a trade .
Fair enough. I'm just going by the chatter. In a hypothetical world the Oilers add a bit.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:47 PM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
The thing with they wanting Murray is that they can't move back beyond the 2nd overall pick and still be guaranteed they'll end up with him. The BJ knows they'll get one of Murray/Yakupov so they really have no interest in giving assets to move up. If the Oils want Murray they're basically stuck picking him 1st over all.
That's stupid to feel "stuck" picking Murray. If they feel that they are forced to take Murray by default, that's such a dumb reason to pick somebody at 1 even dumber than picking for need.
It's obvious to almost everybody that if they stay at 1, that they absolutely have to take Yakupov as any other team would likely do. Anything else would be an epic debacle.

There's no reason to not trade down and gain assets if they want a defenseman so bad, there are other options besides Murray if they want to trade down and Murray is gone by the time they pick.

The only option that make no sense is taking him at 1, it's ridiculous to think that this is what will likely happen.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
hawksfan50

Oilers gonna have a heap o' CAP problems in a few years...a heap...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Great news, didn't want the leafs to trade up for this pick

Just hoping Galchenyuk slides to us now!!!!!!

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Neatman

How is this year any different than the last 2 years where the Oilers wouldnt say anything about who they were taking ahead of time? It's all just smoke and mirrors to build excitement for the draft...
Edmonton takes Yakupov, end of story.

I do think that Murray is going to end up far better than is currently suggested though. Wouldnt be surprised if he developed into a legit #1 eventually.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
None of those guys can help out immediately besides Gardiner and I'm sorry, he's good but I'm not sold on him as a true #1 dman because he only had a good rookie season. Furthermore, I agree that the Oilers should try to sign Schultz but I have absolutely no faith in the idea that Schultz wants Edmonton over every other team in the league. It makes no sense to gamble with the #1 pick like that. Gardiner plus 5th overall is not enough return. Period. Tambellini would be grilled alive for making such a trade.

The Oilers would be better served to develop the likes of Klefbom, Gernat, Musil, Marincin etc and place greater responsibility on Petry next season than trade for Gardiner and let Yakupov slip away. Rather they should go out and sign a UFA like Wideman to help shore up the D because we're not getting Suter either.

Here's the reality, the Oilers are likely not making the playoffs next year but they shouldn't be a lottery team so why go for broke in year 3 of a 5 year rebuild?

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Quite possible with the Oilers.
They re-signed Steve so yup lol

Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:41 PM
KidLine93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post

Smyths 6.2M ends this year
Sourays 3M (or there about) is off the books this year
Hemskys 5M is done the year RNH resigns
Horcoffs 5.5M will be off the books the year Yakupov resigns (if we draft him)
Khabibulins contract will be up in the next year or 2 as well

Plus the Oil already had a tonne of cap space this year. They basically have their entire payroll to decide how to sign the Big 4 and then decide which other pieces are worth keeping.

KidLine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Never
Completely digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Don't be so sure of that...Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch went on EDM radio yesterday and seemed fairly convinced the Jackets don't have Yakupov as their #1 player.

It would not stun me if both the Oilers and Jackets have Murray as their #1 ranked player.
Let him slide to Montreal then. I'm all for that.

Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:08 PM
team_alex

I wouldn't read too much into this.

They probably had a schedule for all scouts to submit reports, do full diligence, etc. by the Friday meeting where they will come to an official, agreed upon consensus.

I strongly doubt this means they won't take Yakupov.

team_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:17 PM
ProspectTalk

You said Friday morning.. So who did they decide to choose? And please link me an article if you can.

ProspectTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:23 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
They aren't going to have any cap issues since their going to take Murray first overall.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Pochiro
too many losing

vCash: 140
the oilers are taking yakapov. the rest is just a media construct, like last year... and the year before.

Pochiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:34 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I'm a big Ryan Murray fan, but if they take him 1st overall, they are making a big mistake. There are likely 25+ teams that would want Yakupov first overall and the Oilers are missing a chance to move back, gain assets and still get a great franchise D.
Well, I've been behind the thought of Columbus wanting Murray as well, so it doesn't exactly give the Oilers a lot of wiggle room to move down. It will be interesting to see all of the drama unfold prior and during the draft. If the Oilers really want Murray, there is not a lot of play room there.

Would that be something if Yakupov ended up being the falling prospect.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:40 PM
McXLNC97

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidLine93 View Post
Smyths 6.2M ends this year
Sourays 3M (or there about) is off the books this year
Hemskys 5M is done the year RNH resigns
Horcoffs 5.5M will be off the books the year Yakupov resigns (if we draft him)
Khabibulins contract will be up in the next year or 2 as well

Plus the Oil already had a tonne of cap space this year. They basically have their entire payroll to decide how to sign the Big 4 and then decide which other pieces are worth keeping.
Your just wasting your time. Only the uneducated folks constantly spew that line of cap problems, especially when there's multiple teams out there that have 4/5 or even 6 guys making 5mil+

McXLNC97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:42 PM
SH15

The difference from Yakupov to Forsberg/Galchenyuk/Grigorenko (Leafs # 5 pick range) is not even close to big enough to require Jake Gardiner in the deal. The guy who said Gardiner ISN'T enough is on crack. Yakupov is the #1 pick, but he's not that much better than the # 5 pick in this draft.

I can see EDM picking Yakupov and then seeing what happens behind them. If Murray drops to a team and EDM likes a deal they have, flip Yak at that point. Get Murray and add an asset.

5 & Gardiner for Yakupov...LOL. Got some crazies up in here.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
I feel sorry for the "talking heads" this year. No Taylor-Tyler disputes to write about? No RNH vs Landeskog? They'll try and keep creating drama for the next week, and then move on to the "Is Garrision going to sign with Toronto, or does he miss his friends in Vancouver?" articles.
What are you talking about? This is the most unpredictable draft one week into it that I have yet to follow, no one is sure if Edmonton is actually picking first or if they are picking Yakupov, Columbus could go with Murray, Forsberg or Galchenyuk and that's assuming the Oilers don't trade up or take Murray.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:51 PM
KingJet*

Then they better take Murray 1st overall, cause they don't need Yakupov, they need D, but part of their pool is Plante, Teubert, Klefbom, Marincin, Peckham, Petry, Gernat, Musil, so they should just take Murray or Dumba and thats that, but if they trade with Montreal everyone wins,

Montreal will I mean WILL take Yakupov when they have the Chance because they need a franchise forward, they have Subban and Price so add that up their good, Edmonton has Hall, RNH and Eberle on their first line which could be the leagues new number one line, maybe even for team Canada, they also have Gagner for their 2nd line, so what do they need Yakupov for...? for their 2nd line, they got Hemsky on the RW, and Taylor Hall would be on a verge of Demanding a trade, but he has great Chemistry with Eberle and RNH, I would even think better chemistry than Yakupov. In conclusion they should take Murray or trade it to Montreal, it won't matter cause they could take either Dumba/Murray with that 3rd overall pick.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
The difference from Yakupov to Forsberg/Galchenyuk/Grigorenko (Leafs # 5 pick range) is not even close to big enough to require Jake Gardiner in the deal. The guy who said Gardiner ISN'T enough is on crack. Yakupov is the #1 pick, but he's not that much better than the # 5 pick in this draft.

I can see EDM picking Yakupov and then seeing what happens behind them. If Murray drops to a team and EDM likes a deal they have, flip Yak at that point. Get Murray and add an asset.

Actually I'd reject that quite easily.
Since 2000:

Year 1st Overall 5th Overall 5th + Gardiner > 1st?
2000 Rick DiPietro Raffi Torres Yes
2001 Ilya Kovalchuk Stanislav Chistov No
2002 Rick Nash Ryan Whitney No
2003 Marc-Andre Fleury Thomas Vanek Yes
2004 Alexander Ovechkin Blake Wheeler No
2005 Sidney Crosby Carey Price No
2006 Erik Johnson Phil Kessel Yes
2007 Patrick Kane Karl Alzner Maybe
2008 Steven Stamkos Luke Schenn No
2009 John Tavares Brayden Schenn No
2010 Taylor Hall Nino Niederreiter No

Now ask yourself... is Yakupov more like Kovalchuk, Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, and Hall or DiPietro, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Erik Johnson?

Easy pass from the Oilers. We've seen defensemen have productive rookie seasons like that then taper off many, many times before. I don't think you guys truly appreciate how valuable a 1st overall pick is...especially when we have the most obvious 1st overall since Crosby.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:55 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post

Yakupov is A LOT better than whoever goes #5 in this draft. That's why he's the consensus #1 and whoever is 5 is a crapshoot. Look back at the last 5 drafts and take the #5 and Gardiner and ask yourself if that's enough to trade for ANY of the last 5 #1 overall picks.......then come back and tell me who's on crack.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:03 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Then they better take Murray 1st overall, cause they don't need Yakupov, they need D, but part of their pool is Plante, Teubert, Klefbom, Marincin, Peckham, Petry, Gernat, Musil, so they should just take Murray or Dumba and thats that, but if they trade with Montreal everyone wins,

Montreal will I mean WILL take Yakupov when they have the Chance because they need a franchise forward, they have Subban and Price so add that up their good, Edmonton has Hall, RNH and Eberle on their first line which could be the leagues new number one line, maybe even for team Canada, they also have Gagner for the 2nd line, so what do they need Yakupov for...? for their 2nd line, they got Hemsky on the RW, and Taylor Hall would be on a verge of Demanding a trade, but he has great Chemistry with Eberle and RNH, I would even think better chemistry than Yakupov. In conclusion they should take Murray or trade it to Montreal, it won't matter cause they could take either Dumba/Murray with that 3rd overall pick.
If Edmonton doesn't take Yakupov they lose without a massive overpayment from the other team. Edmonton has no secondary scoring, Yakupov will provide that in spades. Plus, with the addition of Yakupov, the Oilers can even out the ice time for the stars by playing their top 2 lines like crazy with 2 stars on each line.

As for the bolded.......seriously dude? They have Hemsky and Gagner so who needs Yakupov? Gagner has never hit 50 points in his career and Hemsky keeps going down with injury. I think we need Yakupov and like 95% of Oilers fans agree.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:10 PM
HanSolo
#CheerForKesler

vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I'm a big Ryan Murray fan, but if they take him 1st overall, they are making a big mistake. There are likely 25+ teams that would want Yakupov first overall and the Oilers are missing a chance to move back, gain assets and still get a great franchise D.
Absolutely.

Just like I'll be peeved if the Ducks take guys like Reinhart, Gaunce, Ceci, Collberg, Faksa, etc at 6 without trading down.

HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote