HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton NOT Trading #1 Overall Pick (All 1st overall pick discussion here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 06:53 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Edmonton NOT Trading #1 Overall Pick (All 1st overall pick discussion here)

Continue here as we get closer and closer to draft day.

----------------------------------------
Mod Warning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
For now - we are going to keep all discussion about the value of the 1st overall pick in just this one thread. That way we can cut down from exploiting every other thread and turning it into the value of the #1 overall.

To keep it simple, if you do not like it, ignore the thread. That takes care of that problem. If this turns into a flame war, you will be eliminated from discussion and handed an infraction.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Toronto - Edmonton

saw this trade proposal on a fairly reputable site, thoughts on it? as i said not my trade proposal but i found it on a fairly reputable site...

Leafs trade:

Luke Schenn

Carl Gunnarsson

Nazem Kadri

TOR 2nd-rounder (35th overall)

To Oilers for:

EDM 1st overall pick

EDM 3rd-rounder (62nd overall)

Old
06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
BowDangles

If Edmonton trades the first away this year it will be for another top 5 pick + or for a very good NHL player, not a bunch of mediocre players.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:55 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
How about the link to this "fairly reputable site?"

Old
06-14-2012, 09:25 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
saw this trade proposal on a fairly reputable site, thoughts on it? as i said not my trade proposal but i found it on a fairly reputable site...

Leafs trade:

Luke Schenn

Carl Gunnarsson

Nazem Kadri

To Oilers for:

EDM 1st overall pick

Luke Schenn-Wouldn't mind him being on the Oilers team, figured he was mishandle with Leafs.
Carl Gunnarsson-Pass on him, wouldn't make the team if Luke Schenn is in the package, not a lot of thought here.
Nazem Kadri- Pass on him, Oilers need a big C and not a soft one, no need to say anymore.
TOR 2nd-rounder (35th overall)- in a weak draft year doesn't really help the Oilers.

Not much thought was done with this proposal and IMO is more of a insult then anything.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:28 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:

Leafs trade:

Luke Schenn

Carl Gunnarsson

Nazem Kadri

To Oilers for:

EDM 1st overall pick

I think all hockey fans should remember that quantity does not equal quality.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:56 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

I like that we throw in the 3rd rounder too.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:27 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
A five way day which rewards Edmonton with the 2nd-5th overall picks.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:32 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:

Leafs trade:

Luke Schenn

Carl Gunnarsson

Nazem Kadri

To Oilers for:

EDM 1st overall pick

oiler fans started hurting themselves laughing at the second rounder. The fact oiler fans wont touch Schenn and the 5th for the first--they wont go near that one. The trade offer is wishfull thinking by the leafs.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:33 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
How about the link to this "fairly reputable site?"
My guess espninsider-- which uses this site as source for their rumours

Old
06-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Whoyawit*

Quote:

Leafs trade:

Luke Schenn

Carl Gunnarsson

Nazem Kadri

To Oilers for:

EDM 1st overall pick

This is the first post on this extended version of the original and you propose this? I think it may be hard to follow ColePens direction of not flaming.
Might not be your idea, but you liked it enough to post it.
There is a zero percent chance Toronto is aquiring the first overall pick withouta minimum of two things- their first rounder this year, and Jake Gardiner.
Minimum!
What needs to be added to make the deal happen is up to smarter people than myself...but those pieces will be there for sure.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
I reiterate my offer from earlier as it was somewhat buried. Subban and either a second or Eller for first overall. Frankly, I could move all three but that is quite a price.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
oiler fans started hurting themselves laughing at the second rounder. The fact oiler fans wont touch Schenn and the 5th for the first--they wont go near that one. The trade offer is wishfull thinking by the leafs.
It's unfortunate that Oiler fans aren't making the call. All there going by the blanket statement from management "an over payment" Which nobody actually knows the value to. Then the Oiler fans take that and you get these astronomical and ridiculous proposals like Gardiner, Kulemin, Kadri and our 1st round pick for the next 7 years and Phil Kessel's son when he starts playing.

Be reasonable please...

I personally would be open to possibly of trading Gardiner to get the 1st pick, But I would want one of the Slovakian defensemen prospects back(Marincin or Gernat).

And considering You'd have Murray or Reinhart(presumably)at #5, Gardiner, Klefbom, Musil, Teubert, and the other Slovak, and maybe even Schultz. I think that's still very reasonable.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:24 PM
FunkyChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I reiterate my offer from earlier as it was somewhat buried. Subban and either a second or Eller for first overall. Frankly, I could move all three but that is quite a price.
Interesting offer as the Oilers need a Subban type player. I don't know much about Eller, what kind of player is he now and what kind of player do you think he develops into?

Regarding Schenn, it would take offer of Schenn, 5th overall and 2013 1st rounder for me to even gain interest in.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
It's unfortunate that Oiler fans aren't making the call. All there going by the blanket statement from management "an over payment" Which nobody actually knows the value to. Then the Oiler fans take that and you get these astronomical and ridiculous proposals like Gardiner, Kulemin, Kadri and our 1st round pick for the next 7 years and Phil Kessel's son when he starts playing.

Be reasonable please...

I personally would be open to possibly of trading Gardiner to get the 1st pick, But I would want one of the Slovakian defensemen prospects back(Marincin or Gernat).

And considering You'd have Murray or Reinhart(presumably)at #5, Gardiner, Klefbom, Musil, Teubert, and the other Slovak, and maybe even Schultz. I think that's still very reasonable.
Yea, be reasonable please. No Oiler fan has ever come close to proposing that, so you are just flaming.
The Oilers are better off with Yakupov + Marincin/Gernat > Gardiner+5th overall.
The quality group of forwards the Oilers have will make them a more desirable destination for UFA defenseman. Having Gardiner, and another yet prospect does not help the Oilers next season

Old
06-15-2012, 04:04 AM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:

Leafs trade:

Luke Schenn

Carl Gunnarsson

Nazem Kadri

To Oilers for:

EDM 1st overall pick

Toronto would have to add a 4th round pick to even it out.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:40 AM
McArthur

Quote:

Leafs trade:

Luke Schenn

Carl Gunnarsson

Nazem Kadri

To Oilers for:

EDM 1st overall pick

Gardiner and 5th overall makes sense, especially if the oil land justin schultz. the top picks scare me with all the injuries. I just want the tragedy to stop.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:50 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
you crazy son....

Old
06-15-2012, 06:04 AM
Lenain22

Quote:
Interesting offer as the Oilers need a Subban type player. I don't know much about Eller, what kind of player is he now and what kind of player do you think he develops into?
Eller can be a 2ways 3rd liner around 40pts /years or 2th liner around 65pts /years

good speed and soft hands , maybe can play as 2th PK center too but he need to hit the net when he shot to many time his shot hit the board and he need to use is body better for protect the puck or getting stronger

but i hope MTL keep Subban and Eller and his 2th pick is overpaid in my mind for the 1th pick 2012

Old
06-15-2012, 07:51 AM
roboninja
EYG

I would have to seriously consider Subban+Eller for the 1st. Eller has decent size for a center, and Subban would slide right into our #1D slot.

The leafs proposal at the top is simply not a match. We already have a small#1C in RNH; we need more size in the #2C spot than Kadri can provide. Schenn is not as bad as most on this board make him out to be, and Gunnarsson has good potential as a PMD, bu they are all decent/potential guys; we have quite a few of those, and more on the way. We need a guy that has already proven at least something.

Gardiner+5th might give me pause; I do like what Gardiner has shown (I know his limited experience sort of contradicts my last paragraph; sue me). Plus maybe it helps with Schultz.

Another deal I have not seen, but would do is Staal+Orpik for 1st+Whitney/Teubert/Schultz. I believe Staal would be pretty much the best #2C we could get. Now I am sure Pens fans are all ready to kill me for this, so I'll admit it's likely wishful thinking.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:47 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:

Leafs trade:

Luke Schenn

Carl Gunnarsson

Nazem Kadri

To Oilers for:

EDM 1st overall pick

The site can't be very reputable if you still haven't given us a link.

Take Gunn, Kadri and 2nd out and throw in Gardiner and 5th overall and you might have Oil fans interested.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
You're a nucks fan tho. Subban won't be traded even if the value is fair. We can't afford to let go of our top pairing D.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post

Regarding Schenn, it would take offer of Schenn, 5th overall and 2013 1st rounder for me to even gain interest in.
As previously stated, Eller presently is a good top nine playmaking center with size. He has good hands and puck handling abilities but is only average physically. Most of his talents are quite raw and need time to develop, although he will surprise you at times. Right now he aims to be a 40-50 point center that could jump to 60+. A good comparison would actually be Sam Gagner. I foresee a similar development cycle for Eller; slow start, good potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
you crazy son....
Sometimes crazy is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
You're a nucks fan tho. Subban won't be traded even if the value is fair. We can't afford to let go of our top pairing D.
Habs fan too. One way or another Edmonton is getting something good. Might as well help my B team in the process. Anywho, we could afford to let Subban go if we then traded Plekanec to Anaheim for the sixth overall and drafted Dumba. Yes, it would likely entail another lottery finish however we could then have a shot at MacKinnon. Our "rebuild" would last all of two years and for the 2013 season we have

Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Dumba
Beaulieu
Tinordi

All ready to make the jump. Look of talent there. MacKinnon would be the icing on the cake.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:23 AM
CHfan1

Quote:
As previously stated, Eller presently is a good top nine playmaking center with size. He has good hands and puck handling abilities but is only average physically. Most of his talents are quite raw and need time to develop, although he will surprise you at times. Right now he aims to be a 40-50 point center that could jump to 60+. A good comparison would actually be Sam Gagner. I foresee a similar development cycle for Eller; slow start, good potential.

Sometimes crazy is necessary.

Habs fan too. One way or another Edmonton is getting something good. Might as well help my B team in the process. Anywho, we could afford to let Subban go if we then traded Plekanec to Anaheim for the sixth overall and drafted Dumba. Yes, it would likely entail another lottery finish however we could then have a shot at MacKinnon. Our "rebuild" would last all of two years and for the 2013 season we have

Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Dumba
Beaulieu
Tinordi

All ready to make the jump. Look of talent there. MacKinnon would be the icing on the cake.
As a Habs fan I like that, especially with Gomez and Kaberle's contracts coming off the board in 2014. That sounds like a recipe for success. Although it sucks losing Subban, it would give the Habs a potential bonafide star in Yakupov.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:53 AM
High On Oil

Any interest in deal based around

3rd overall (Galchenyuk) + PK Subban
for
1st overall (Yakupov) + Sam Gagner + ?

I'm reluctant to trade Gagner before the draft because I'm convinced that we'd be selling while his value is low. While it may not show points-wise, he's been steadily improving his all around game year after year and I'm convinced he will breakout this season. With that being said, Habs fans are undoubtedly reluctant to trade Subban, but in Yakupov they get a surefire superstar and in Gagner a young 2nd line center poised to breakout. Gagner, IIRC, had great chemistry with Erik Cole in his time with Edmonton as an added bonus.

Bourque Plekanec Yakupov
Pacioretty Gagner Cole
is a really potent top 6

For Oilers fans the dropoff in talent from 1st to 3rd could be potentially huge. While Yakupov is the consensus number one, the next five picks are really up in the air. Acquiring PK Subban, however, balances out the roster for the future. The 3d overall pick, assuming Columbus takes Murray, gives us the choice between two big centres in Galchenyuk and Grigorenko to replace Gagner in the lineup.

I understand that trading a proven asset like PK Subban is tough, however a quick read-through of the list of first overall picks from the last ten years shows the level of player that you are pretty much guaranteed to be drafting. I'd be willing to add a player/prospect/pick in the range of a Jones/Marincin/32nd to make this deal happen, if necessary.

Flamers, flame.

Closed Thread