HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pre-workout nutrition

Old
06-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Tuckerw68

vCash: 500
Pre-workout nutrition

Does anyone have any products they suggest or swear by? I'm on creatine but I take it as a post workout supplement and need a preworkout product.

Tuckerw68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:05 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

I have been in the supplement game for a few years and I participate in a few bodybuilding/powerlifting/supplement forums (or whatever you want to call them) and I research all this. Honestly you really wont notice too much of a difference if you take creatine pre or post workout, in the morning, or at night. As long as you take it daily it will keep your muscles saturated and benefit you. Go to supplementreviews and ask those guys questions, tell them your goals and where you are now. They will help you out, its a great forum and very very helpful. As for pre workout supplements I have tried around 10 (random guess) and Noxipro is my favorite and it is one of the cheapest per serving. Post workout nutrition can be more important as you want to consume protein and carbs immeadetly post workout to help your muscles recover. Most do not use intra workout supplements, but many swear by them for stamina and recovery. Like I said, just go hit up supplementreviews, those guys can help you with anything exercise or supplement related. You are more than welcome to pm me with any questions too.

Edit: I understand I am advertising another forum in my post and its probably against the rules, but it is 100% not related to hockey and I am not trying to advertise the website, just trying to help out.

Last edited by cjm502: 06-25-2012 at 11:38 PM.
cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Stickchecked

If the workout is in the morning, you have to have something. I'll start a hockey morning with a protein shake and bowl of Holy Crap. (I'm eating it right now.)

If you're working out during the day/evening, it's much more important what you eat afterwards. No reason not to workout on an empty stomach if you eat correctly during the day.

Aside from protein shakes and a multivitamin, I'm not that much into the supplements and all of that. Feed your body real food, avoid processed garbage and it will do fine.

I will also add that after losing 20 pounds in 2 months doing the "4 Hour Body" diet and never having a low energy day, I'm convinced we all eat way too much. All you need is 3 square meals a day.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Tuckerw68

I just picked up Ignite Maturals GSH Ignite natural cocoa and it looks great all natural contains only 1g sugar per serving and 8g protein and no caffeine. Mix with banana and coconut water before workout should work wonders

Tuckerw68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:08 AM
JJ Johnson
Rookie User

Hey guys,

I'll answer that question from a perspective where I'm assuming the "pre-workout nutrition" question here is targeted towards "hockey performance" as the main goal/objective.

Try to eat 1.5-2hrs before hockey with carbohydrates (5oz sweet potato... 1 cup quinoa... 1 cup whole grain rice, etc...) & protein (5oz chicken breast... extra lean ground beef... fish... etc...).

If you eat too close to game time, your body won't have sufficient time to digest the food and get the nutrients from it, as all the blood will be in your working muscles (and not in your gut/organs for digestion & absorption of food)... if you eat too far from game time, 3hrs + for example, then you'll start to feel hungry and be in a "catabolic" state, not where you want to be for optimal performance.

About 15-20min before game time, sipping on your "In game workout fuel" will start to get your blood sugar at an optimal state for competition, and the creatine and caffeine will start to have a positive, stimulating effect on your nervous system (helping you to get to a quick start early in the game, when the other guys are slow to start in the first period!).

During the game, 100%, performance is optimized by drinking a beverage consisting of water, carbohydrates and amino acids (BCAAs). Additionally, creatine and caffeine can really help with power endurance. There is an absolute consensus in the scientific community about this.

Of course, if you happen to be playing hockey (of course, you're posting on this forum! ) but your goals aren't necessarily "performance based" (i.e. your main objective is not to be the best player you can be,,, whether you're trying to make a team, or simply enjoy pursuing your best as an athlete), but rather are more focused on "weight loss, or getting cut", then the recommendations are very different. I just responded assuming your objective is "performance based".

Hope that helps!

Take care guys...

JJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:26 AM
TwistedWristah
Boston Strong

Great topic. Definitely gonna hit up supplement reviews, as I have never expiremented with them and would like to start using one.

TwistedWristah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:39 AM
cjm502
#FireHolland

The guys there can help you with anything from your workouts, to your nutrition, to your supplementation. There are some very smart members there that will help you out with whatever you need.

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Guffaw

In addition to proper hydration/nutrition.

C4 pre workout drink. I will not attest to it's chemical makeup or possible long term effects. I will tell you this. Most of my team is now on it and it helps 40 yr olds compete with 20 yr olds.

The 1.5-2hr window is also too short for low glycemic complex carbs. You want an empty stomach when you compete/workout. You want your muscles glycogen stores to be full. The food sitting in your stomach is actually hurting you.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote