HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[TB/NSH] 2x2nd, 3rd, Caron for Lindback, K.Wilson, 7th | Lindback re-signed 2yrs/1.8m

Old
06-15-2012, 09:20 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I would be very curious to hear what the vets like Marty and Vinny have to say about this and Yzerman saying he is the number 1 going into the season.
https://twitter.com/#!/LightningTimes
Quote:
Marty St. Louis on Lightning getting goalie Anders Lindback: "I think Yzerman's plan is in motion and it's exciting."

Old
06-15-2012, 09:31 PM
BoltingAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
I was thinking more of a "all apart of the yzerplan"

Thomas takes the year off, all apart of the yzerplan

Linstrom retires, all apart of the yzerplan

Sign lindback and helenius, all apart of the yzerplan
I'm down.

BoltingAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Glide5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Scouting report on Lindback:

Is Caron any good?
We didnt get too see him much (seeing as he was signed to a 10 game back-up plan). He played great in a game vs the Jets, then mediocre in a game vs the Habs. He could be a decent, cheap back-up if you guys need one. I think he was just thrown into this trade to move a contract though.

Glide5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Hockeyfan02

I don't mind the price, it's not a great draft year and Yzerman still has three picks in the top 40. I'm not 100% sold on him becoming a #1 but I would've felt the same way about Bernier. Hopefully it works out.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Glide5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltingAway View Post
Big surprise. Guess we can't try to know the mind of SFY.
haha no one can understand what is in this guys head. He has been a genius so far though. I think we overpaid, but I trust YZ. He has a plan.

I just cant believe they didnt try and get a defender out of the trade, and not a winger... We already have too many winger prospects. not a bad thing, but it makes it hard to route for a kid when you see them get buried by more talent (as in Wallace's case)

Old
06-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Glide5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
your goalies arent the problem, its the terrible defense
Ya. This is the issue. When you look at all of the goalies we have had in the last few years, you realize its got to be something else. Our D has been bad. just plain bad.

the only good thing is that the D currently looks better than it once was. Adding Lee, Aulie, and Mickelson is going to help this year more than last year. We still need another top 4 desperately, and Hedman has to keep showing improvement. Im surprised that the picks werent used on defensemen honestly.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:41 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
I'm happy with the way this turned out. We got to keep our two firsts and still have (maybe) two seconds. As for Lindback, he has as much potential as any other goalie we were going to be looking at....a number of which are still yet unproven themselves. Harding, Bernier and Schneider are not yet guaranteed #1s.

In reality the only proven #1s out there were Luongo and Brodeur both of which weren't coming here anyway so, yeah, it's a risk but I think one worth taking. He's an RFA so it will be interesting to see what type of contract SY gives him.
Good post, bolded the important part.

I don't think anyone should really be upset with this trade. Lindback really isn't any bigger of a gamble than Bernier or Schneider would be. None of these guys have even played a seasons worth of games at the NHL level. When picking one of them to give a #1 role to, it's more about scouting than numbers.

I will say Lindback wasn't my first choice, and I think we made a bit of an over payment, but we got our good young goalie. Now we can move on to filling other needs.

Good trade by Yzerman, Lindback looks like a good young talent (with a good attitude too).

EDIT: Any info on Kyle Wilson? I assumed he would be AHL bound, but apparently he has a 1 way contract?

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:54 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide5 View Post
Ya. This is the issue. When you look at all of the goalies we have had in the last few years, you realize its got to be something else. Our D has been bad. just plain bad.

the only good thing is that the D currently looks better than it once was. Adding Lee, Aulie, and Mickelson is going to help this year more than last year. We still need another top 4 desperately, and Hedman has to keep showing improvement. Im surprised that the picks werent used on defensemen honestly.
Yeah we don't have any flashy names so our defense is ****.

I keep hearing this sorry ****ing excuse as to why goaltenders are struggling but the truth is Garon is as good as hes ever been and Roloson was broken. Had nothing to do with the defense.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:50 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamkos 91 View Post
Umm... okay. I'd rather have the picks. There was talk about trading Kubina for Lindback and I said that I wanted a 1st or 2 seconds or something like that and not Lindback.

We trade for a unproven goaltender...again. When is it going to stop
Blues Fan here... I think it's way too mary picks going to Nashville for a unproven backup Goalie. Heck Yzerman could have had Ben Bishop for a 2nd rounder before Bishop was traded to Ottowa at the trade deadline.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:53 AM
BarberioTheBarbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Blues Fan here... I think it's way too mary picks going to Nashville for a unproven backup Goalie. Heck Yzerman could have had Ben Bishop for a 2nd rounder before Bishop was traded to Ottowa at the trade deadline.
IMO Yzerman and his pro scouts know a lot more than we do. If they believed Bishop was the answer they would have got him. They clearly did not and believe Lindback is the answer. I fully support this trade for us.

BarberioTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian View Post
IMO Yzerman and his pro scouts know a lot more than we do. If they believed Bishop was the answer they would have got him. They clearly did not and believe Lindback is the answer. I fully support this trade for us.
The hivemind is never wrong.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:31 AM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Yzerman on Lindback:
Quote:
"The big thing you first notice is his size,'' [Yzerman] said. "We like the way he moves. I like his athleticism. He reacts well. I think he has good, solid technique and an all-around structure.''
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...ndback/1235605

Quote:
"He's relatively inexperienced, but we think he has tremendous potential," Yzerman added. "We gave up a significant amount to get him, but there weren't a lot of options, so we paid a hefty price, but we thought the return was worth it. We feel he's ready, and in talking to him, he is excited about the opportunity to take on more."
Preds' goalie coach on Lindback:
Quote:
According to Predators' goaltending coach Mitch Korn, as told to the web site HockeysFuture.com, "Lindback's size is his best asset. He stays on his feet, but maybe not that long. He spends a lot of time on his knees, but I wouldn't call him a pure butterfly guy. He's got mammoth size, so on pucks that someone else would have to shrug their shoulder, for example, to stop, it will just hit him."
Yzerman on Wilson:
Quote:
"Kyle had a very good year in Milwaukee this past season," Yzerman added. "He's a skilled guy, and he's someone who will compete for a spot in training camp."
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=634897

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:17 AM
stug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Wow haha worst pronunciation ever

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:36 AM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Yeah we don't have any flashy names so our defense is ****.

I keep hearing this sorry ****ing excuse as to why goaltenders are struggling but the truth is Garon is as good as hes ever been and Roloson was broken. Had nothing to do with the defense.
It goes hand in hand though. Scoring chances given up need to be minimized and pucks need to be stopped when they aren't. It's not all on the goalies and not all on the D but both need to be improved. Maybe a little bit of flexibility/improved communication in coaching too but we don't know that for sure, and maybe also closer attention in how well a tandem has worked together in the past.

Regardless of what happened in net last year, going into this season Bolts still would be in need of a younger presence/plan, and now they have that and hopefully it will work out immediately and for the long term.

Now they have the rest of the off-season to improve their D - not because they don't have any flashy names, but because it needs to be improved. The more it improves the less it can be used as an excuse for struggles in net.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:39 AM
BoltSTH

I do not get all the hate for this trade on BoltsProspects forum. The only reason I can think I think of they regard it is a slight to Tic and Janus. Usually it is a lot more balanced.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:45 AM
HoseEmDown

I don't see why everyone says we gave up too much. We kept our 2 1sts so that was the most important thing. We also would have most likely taken a goalie at 19 or 37, now we get a goalie who's gonna do something this year not in 5 years. We shouldn't even got the 50th for Kubina as he wasn't doing much for us and wasn't getting resigned. The 7th and Caron for Wilson is a wash, only thing maybe too much was the 3rd, but with how well Nashville grooms goalies I like the gamble. Has anyone seen a picture of Lindback in net, his waist is at the crossbar, makes Smith look small.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:51 AM
ilikeblocks

Preds fan popping in - you guys got an amazing goalie in Lindback. The guy carried the Preds in 2010-11 during Rinne's injury and it's awesome to see him get a starting gig. It says a lot about his talent, especially since Poile didn't want to keep him in the division.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:55 AM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Has anyone seen a picture of Lindback in net, his waist is at the crossbar, makes Smith look small.
I'm looking forward to seeing the first pic of Lindback and Marty together.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:57 AM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing the first pic of Lindback and Marty together.
Press conference photo opp!

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:29 AM
ShootIt

Might be a lot right now, but I like this move for Tampa. I think he can be the goalie you guys have been looking for.

As a Panther fan, I don't like this deal. lol

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Benders Lindyhop

My two biggest concerns with this are:

1. His medical condition
2. Goalie coach

With #1 I would have to think that the brain trust has been up, down and sideways over his medical records and discussed everything with him, the team docs and Nashvilles medical staff.

#2, I just don't know. Granted Jean may be very good with the youngsters, but both Roli and Smith weren't exactly complimentary. We've got an iffy coaching situation and a young kid coming into a system that isn't as defensively sound as what he's used to, it makes me kinda twitchy.

Granted it's mid June and I'm sure that SFY is going to be shoring up the D. I think we're in for some excitement.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:01 AM
JedYzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
My two biggest concerns with this are:

1. His medical condition
2. Goalie coach

With #1 I would have to think that the brain trust has been up, down and sideways over his medical records and discussed everything with him, the team docs and Nashvilles medical staff.

#2, I just don't know. Granted Jean may be very good with the youngsters, but both Roli and Smith weren't exactly complimentary. We've got an iffy coaching situation and a young kid coming into a system that isn't as defensively sound as what he's used to, it makes me kinda twitchy.

Granted it's mid June and I'm sure that SFY is going to be shoring up the D. I think we're in for some excitement.
This is the problem I think we need to shore up next. Our goal tending coach would make Quick a horrible goalie.

JedYzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:53 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan View Post
It goes hand in hand though. Scoring chances given up need to be minimized and pucks need to be stopped when they aren't. It's not all on the goalies and not all on the D but both need to be improved. Maybe a little bit of flexibility/improved communication in coaching too but we don't know that for sure, and maybe also closer attention in how well a tandem has worked together in the past.

Regardless of what happened in net last year, going into this season Bolts still would be in need of a younger presence/plan, and now they have that and hopefully it will work out immediately and for the long term.

Now they have the rest of the off-season to improve their D - not because they don't have any flashy names, but because it needs to be improved. The more it improves the less it can be used as an excuse for struggles in net.
Of course they go hand in hand, but they weren't anywhere near as bad as some people make them out to be or as I saw written, "one of the worst defensive squads in hockey". When Garon was on, we were playing tight enough that we were two points out of a playoff spot with a goaltender that was rolling .885 between the pipes. The "worst defensive team in hockey" doesn't do that.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:00 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Of course they go hand in hand, but they weren't anywhere near as bad as some people make them out to be or as I saw written, "one of the worst defensive squads in hockey". When Garon was on, we were playing tight enough that we were two points out of a playoff spot with a goaltender that was rolling .885 between the pipes. The "worst defensive team in hockey" doesn't do that.
I have been saying this the entire time. All you have to do is look at the stretch where we lost what, like 2 games out of 15, or something like that when Garon was playing just solid with like a .905 SV%. We were within striking distance and then he got hurt and it went downhill with Roloson being bad (aside from one or two games, his swan songs), and Tokarski being ok but just not ready yet.

The defense isnt horrible. Its not great either. It definitely could use an upgrade, but frankly if we get one top 4 dman(Suter, Jackman, Hammer, etc), a good third line center (Stoll or bring Moore back), and Lindback or WHOEVER puts up a SV% of over .905, we will easily be a playoff team and be fighting for the division with whomever.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Hockeyfan02

Let's not kid ourselves...the defense sucked last year. You don't let in the most goals in the league and have anywhere close to a solid defense. The defense and goaltending were awful.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote