HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

now that we have two 2nds... (2012 NHL Entry Draft Thread)

Old
06-18-2012, 09:23 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
who do you guys think at #37-#50 would be available that would be strictly a goal scorer? center possibly, decent all around... but a goal scorer.. you get what im going for lol

id like to spend majority of the picks on offense.. but if poile feels a shea weber in the making at #37 ... then take him
Jarrod Maidens out of OHL maybe

Physical center that skates fast and has a really good wrist shot. Always around the puck because of his skating and willingness to muck around. He was considered a 1st round lock but an injury derailed his season and as a result he's slid to the 2nd round. Could be an interesting sleeper pick if he stays healthy, like Fisher with a better scoring touch.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:30 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

If I could I would actually make a reach for Brett Kulak, 6'1 D for Vancouver Giants. Was actually 5'6" in 2009. Really solid offensively, defensively sound but more of a stick check kind of guy, as he's not super physical. Reminds me of Suter, but maybe similar to Toby Enström for any Thrashers refugees around. He could go anywhere from 2nd to 4th.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:45 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
Jarrod Maidens out of OHL maybe

Physical center that skates fast and has a really good wrist shot. Always around the puck because of his skating and willingness to muck around. He was considered a 1st round lock but an injury derailed his season and as a result he's slid to the 2nd round. Could be an interesting sleeper pick if he stays healthy, like Fisher with a better scoring touch.
Maidens has missed 45% of his team's regular season games over the last two years. That's more than a tad risky.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm actually a big supporter of drafting guys who drop because of injury, assuming a full recovory is expected. If we can get a first round talent in the second round, awesome.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:33 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Maidens has missed 45% of his team's regular season games over the last two years. That's more than a tad risky.
That is true- while the injury that kept him out this season wasn't disclosed he did have a hip injury. Consider the fact he'd be playing in a division against Kronwall 6 times a year... Who knows. If he's available at a later round I would love to see a flier taken on him.

Another guy that makes for an interesting selection would be Scott Laughton of the Oshawa Generals, which has historically been a NHL center factory (Lindros, Tavares, Wayne Primeau, etc.). His highest marks are for his IQ and his compete level. He has a good wrist shot but he's generally a distributor first, but he is scrappy and fights for position on the ice. He PKs well and two-way play is his asset, and he's also always trying to knock a guy on his ass. He drops the gloves as well, and he came on very strong in the second half of the season. THW has compared his style of play to Mike Richards.

I like comparing him to what would happen if Dustin Brown had balls.

One of those types that becomes a fan favorite quickly. Has "Smashville" written all over him. He's nasty, checks you hard, works you every shift and never takes a day off. His offensive prowess is the one thing that keeps him from being a first rounder IMO, offensively he's more like a 40-60pt, 70pt in a career year sort of guy like Mike Fisher.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:48 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

HF's Preds draft preview:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-draft-preview

Also, our list of picks (so far):

Quote:
The Nashville Predators now own nine selections in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. They own the 37th, 50th, 65th, 111th, 117th, 141st, 163rd, 171st and 178th picks.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
HF's Preds draft preview:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-draft-preview

Also, our list of picks (so far):
best part from that article is:

Quote:
The Predators have always been known for developing excellent defensemen like Shea Weber and Ryan Suter. Their success in this area is so impressive that their top three prospects are all defensemen. More so, they now have a lot of depth as well at the defense position. While names like Ellis and Blum are well known, there are a number of defense prospects who are not household names but still hold a lot of potential. Defensemen like Roman Josi and even Anthony Bitetto and Garrett Noonan are finally starting to shine and gain recognition as well.
Appearently Mattias Ekholm fell off the face of the earth. He's also not listed in our top 10 prospects.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
best part from that article is:

Appearently Mattias Ekholm fell off the face of the earth. He's also not listed in our top 10 prospects.
HF's reviews have been of dubious quality of late. For example, up here, Ryan Johansen and John Moore no longer count as prospects, and so we have no first-round draftees left. Which is apparently enough to drop us almost 20 spots in the league, from just outside the top 10 (#11) to just outside dead last in the league (#29) This based on our supposed depth prospects Corbeil and Straka (neither of whom are getting signed) suffering, while guys like Atkinson and Jenner barely get mentioned and guys like Calvert, Kubalik, and Savard don't get mentioned at all.

Oh, and y'all are complaining about Ekholm vanishing, but at least he's still listed and profiled. Ever since the redesign TJ Tynan - the guy we picked with the third rounder we traded Filatov for - has been nowhere to be found. Try to find him on HF. He's mentioned as #7 on our top 10 prospects in the draft preview and nowhere else on Hockey's Future.

I still like the message boards, but the main site is seriously regressing.

EDIT: Another compare-and-contrast. There are two (and only two) 2010 draft picks from rounds 3-7 that have had any NHL playing time at all so far: Mark Stone (one game in the playoffs for the Senators, drafted #178 overall in the 6th round, 1 assist in that game) and Dalton Prout (5 games in the regular season for the Jackets, drafted #154 overall in the 6th round, +/- of +1 in those five games on a generally -2 to -5 team). Stone, rated 6.5C by HF, is the #5 prospect on the #3 in the league Senators. Prout, rated 6.0C by HF, is unranked on the #29 in the league Jackets.

Go figure, eh?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 06-18-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Lots of talk that Grigorenko is going to fall a la Couturier/Fowler. Mixed feelings about trading up for him. He has all the talent in the world, and we could use a #1C, but after the Rads situation, I don't know if a Russian is a good idea. I think if he somehows slides to #10 or so (Craig Button has him at #20, so it's possible), and we can move Ellis straight up for that pick, it needs to be considered.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Lots of talk that Grigorenko is going to fall a la Couturier/Fowler. Mixed feelings about trading up for him. He has all the talent in the world, and we could use a #1C, but after the Rads situation, I don't know if a Russian is a good idea. I think if he somehows slides to #10 or so (Craig Button has him at #20, so it's possible), and we can move Ellis straight up for that pick, it needs to be considered.
Not a chance. No way I'd move Ellis for that pick either.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I think I would pass on Grigs. Russian scare factor in full swing here. I don't think he is the next Malkin or Kovie, probably more like Semin but more physical.

I would love to try and get Pearson or Frk. Maybe if Thrower drops. Schmaltz would probably be a solid pick due to his size. I wish Samuelsson would drop, but I doubt he will that far. Basically with this draft, the order in which players will go is almost unpredictable. There are so many guys just dead even.

I would like to see Poile avoid a goalie the 2nd and 3rd rounds... goalies are far to unpredictable there. I wish we could get Forseberg (no way in hell that is happening) but I see good things in this kids future.... except I expect Columbus will probably draft him.

I think Teuvo is overrated, while I pray to the baby Jesus we avoid Gaunce. Totally forgot Kerdiles, who is big and skilled. I think he would look GREAT in our colors.

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 06-18-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Doing some research on 2nd rounders, and I came across Anton Slepyshev, a Russian forward supposed to go mid 2nd round. Found this quote and realized there is literally a 0% chance of him going to us.

Quote:
He plays with the number 47 on his jersey because 94 wasn't available. "I had to pick from some numbers and I decided 47. But this is not related to [Predators' Alexander] Radulov."
A Russian, KHL winger that is immensely talented and wears #47?

Sounds like a good player, but not in gold.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:54 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

*reads THN's list of the top 100.*

All the goalies are 6'4" and shorter. It's a bust year for goalies.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Everlong
-

Q & A with Draft Expert: Adam Kimelman

Talks about the players potentially available in our range. Aswell as talking about the draft in general.

Full article: http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635175

Quote:
NP.com: What are some names who might be available when the Preds are picking at the No. 33 slot? Three or four names to watch.

Kimelman: I think this year especially, because of the different opinions on some kids, it becomes a real crapshoot as to who is around early in the second round. A guy who Central Scouting has ranked in the low 20s could easily fall into the second round. A guy like Mike Winther or Philip DiGiuseppe – guys ranked No. 21 and No. 22 – could still be around for that No. 33 pick. Both have pretty good scoring ability but might slide a couple slots to Round 2 depending on how teams evaluate them. Or you could be looking at a guy like Lukas Sutter who comes from the famous Sutter family, so you know what type of two-way responsibility you are going to get with him. Or a Tim Bozon, a Swiss forward playing for the Kamloops Blazers in the Western League; a nice offensive player who still needs to grow into his game a little bit. Generally the guys around that 33 spot this year are the guys who are going to need another year in Junior or College and a year in the American League to continue to refine his game to get bigger, stronger, faster, think the game a little quicker. But Nashville’s known for its patience in development, so it is really nothing different from how the Predators usually approach things.

NP.com: What are some names who might be available when the Preds are picking at the No. 50 slot?

Kimelman: At No. 50, then you’re looking at maybe a forward like Ben Johnson from Windsor or a Francis Beauvillier from Rimouski of the Quebec League. Maybe a Matia Marcantuoni from Kitchener. Maybe Zachary Stepan from Shattuck St. Mary’s, a cousin of NY Rangers center Derek Stepan. All guys that I think can still be on the board in that range. And don’t forget, Nashville does a really good job of scouting Europe, so there may be some kid that really stood out to the Nashville European scouts who enters the discussion for the 50th pick.

NP.com: If the Preds decide to go offense, are there any under the radar scoring forwards who might be available in the middle rounds of the draft who could be a “diamond in the rough” type of a player?

Kimelman: The guy who is really interesting to me is Mark Jankowski. Central Scouting has him ranked No. 43 among North American skaters. He played for the Stanstead school in Quebec right on the Vermont boarder. He’s a unique kid in the case that he hit a growth spurt real late and went from 5-foot-3 or 4 all the way up to about 6-foot-4 or 6-foot-3 heading into the draft. Academics are very important to him so he stayed in school there, but you question the level of talent he’s been matched up against in the Canadian Prep School circuit. We don’t usually see a lot of players come out from that route to the NHL. He is highly regarded, but you wonder how he’ll handle the step up in talent when he moves on to the next level; he’s committed to Providence College next year in the NCAA. That’s a big step up in talent. He had 53 goals in 57 games this year, so he could be that hidden gem that drops through to late second or third, or possibly even a little later, and could become that type of player we’re talking about five or six years from now.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Q & A with Draft Expert: Adam Kimelman

Talks about the players potentially available in our range. Aswell as talking about the draft in general.

Full article: http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635175
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=632146

Good read on Winther. Sounds like a late riser that I'm definetly ok with taking a run at.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:04 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
*reads THN's list of the top 100.*

All the goalies are 6'4" and shorter. It's a bust year for goalies.
Thomas Narmo is a Norwegian 6'7" Goalie.

Brush up on your Norge, dudes!

Old
06-21-2012, 08:55 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
Thomas Narmo is a Norwegian 6'7" Goalie.

Brush up on your Norge, dudes!
Well thn says it can take 8 years to develop a goalie... Do it!

Old
06-22-2012, 02:28 AM
Broom of the System

I'd like to see the Preds sneak into the late first and pick up Frk or Hertl.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:39 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quick question. Lets just say the draft guides are right for once and Mal Subban were to fall to #37, would you want Nashville to draft him?

Old
06-22-2012, 09:48 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Quick question. Lets just say the draft guides are right for once and Mal Subban were to fall to #37, would you want Nashville to draft him?
Red Line ranks him all the way down to #6 G (#69 overall).

Not me. I'd like to see the team wait until the 4th or 5th and look at guys like Jon Gillies or Anthony Stolarz.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Depends on who else is on the board. I think he's going to be an awesome goalie, but if Poile and co. think there is a 25 goal scorer left (Frk, Jankowski), you take him.