HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Francis on HNIC Radio: Babcock is Despised by the Players in Detroit

Old
06-15-2012, 05:12 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Eric Francis on HNIC Radio: Babcock is Despised by the Players in Detroit

They replayed a segment on HNIC radio today that originally aired earlier in the week. They were talking about Calgary fans saying how Sutter is great now, but he'll be tuned out in a year.
Eric Francis said that's how it goes virtually every where. He then went on to day that Mike Babcock is *Despised* by the Red Wings players, and that maybe they've begun to tune him out.

I haven't heard a lot about how Babcock and the players get along, as our local hockey media don't dare report on such things.

My impression from afar was the Babcock had softened a bit since those early days when he put Yzerman in his place to take over the lockerroom.

Maybe not. Maybe he's still a *****, but it just isn't translating into post-season success the last couple years.

Last edited by RedWingsNow*: 06-16-2012 at 11:44 AM.
RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:20 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Wouldn't surprise me if the relationship between Babcock and the players was deteriorating. I like Babcock, but he has a style that can wear thin after a while. And, if true, it would help explain how flat the team was down the stretch this year, among other issues.

On the other hand, I doubt he's despised by the players. And I doubt a departure is imminent. It's probably nothing that can't be mended in the short-term.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

What qualifications does this guy have to make such an assumption?

Sure, it's possible some of the players have begun to tune Babs out. I don't think that would be the case with the younger players. I wonder how Lidstrom's departure will affect players listening to coach. I thought that's why Babs brought in young assistants, to bring a fresh perspective. Seems like it just messed up our PP.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Remember in 2007 when Andy Strickland reported the same thing and that the players were rallying against Babcock with Lidstrom leading the charge? Then they went on to the win a Stanley Cup and lose in the Finals in consecutive years.

I don't think the players despise Mike Babcock.

Last edited by Ricelund: 06-15-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:33 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Not sure. Obviously, he's a working member of the hockey media so he has connections. I'd put weight on anything he said about Calgary or Edmonton. But I don't know how well he knows Detroit.
Detroit's management has a lot of western canada connections.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:40 PM
RedMachine87

Not buying it. I'll believe the players despise Babcock when the organization parts ways with him. Any animosity existing between him and the team will easily be mended if the organization gets back to its winning ways. Failure can create tension and angst in even the best relationships.

Sign Suter and/or Parise and any suspected problems with coaching will quickly evaporate.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:47 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
Remember in 2007 when Andy Strickland reported the same thing and that the players were rallying against Babcock with Lidstrom leading the charge? Then they went on to the WCF, win a Stanley Cup, and lose in the Finals.

Was that Strickland story 5 years ago already? Wow. And wasn't it Captain Bob who excitedly posted that story too?

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Was that Strickland story 5 years ago already? Wow. And wasn't it Captain Bob who excitedly posted that story too?
Yeah, pretty sure it was Winter '07.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:56 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
Remember in 2007 when Andy Strickland reported the same thing and that the players were rallying against Babcock with Lidstrom leading the charge? Then they went on to the WCF, win a Stanley Cup, and lose in the Finals.

Winning fixes everything.

I certainly don't think any of the players despise Babcock. Hudler might despise him.

I have complete faith in Babcock and have no plans to side with the players when players like Franzen play like a dog.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

I guess word isn't spreading around the league that fast.

The NHLPA 2012 players poll still had 13% of respondents saying they want to play for the Wings. 2nd only to to the Blackhawks (14%). And 2% above that of 3rd place Boston.

How could the coach be despised but players want to go there? Furthermore...

WHICH COACH WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO PLAY FOR?
Dan Bylsma Pittsburgh Penguins 21%
Joel Quenneville Chicago Blackhawks 11%
Dave Tippett Phoenix Coyotes 8%
Mike Babcock Detroit Red Wings 8%

Babs ahead of Torts and McLellan.

Players say the Wings are the 2nd more likely team they'd want to play for, and Babs is the tied for 3rd placed coach. If he's despised, the players are hiding it really, really well.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Reality Check

The same is said about Scottie Bowman, Larry Brown etc..

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
They say it about every hard nosed coach. Hitchcock was booted from Dallas for the same reasons. Then Tippett. Guess what's going on in Dallas? They are still scrambling to find anybody half as good as those two guys.

Torts leaves Tampa and starts the chain of success in New York.

These guys aren't easy to work for, but they get results. Smart players understand this. Brad Richards couldn't wait to leave the coaching mess in Dallas and play for a coach that demanded accountability again.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:10 PM
wingnutjeff

I guess we have to convince Scotty to come back.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:11 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

The situation that makes the Wings peculiar is that it's not just a coach sticking around for a long time, 7 years now, but a group of players who for the most part have been around for a long time as well.

It wouldn't be a shock really, in fact maybe the opposite, if they were starting to grate on each other. I mean imagine you are Franzen and you've probably heard Babcock use the same motivational ploy about 80 times by now and imagine you are Babcock and have seen Franzen ignore your motivational ploys about 70 times by now as well.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
8snake

So if Babcock was LIKED would it have made this team better? Would it have made a woefully slow team faster, or a team that can't forecheck more effective at puck retrieval and tenacious along the boards? The only thing that should be despised is how tjis team has been constructed the last 2 years.Maybe they've tuned out Babcock, but that doesn't make this team any less stale or deficient in several areas.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:16 PM
sarcastro

That should just make it easier to chase off the bad apples and get back to a crew that's got its **** together and works together to the same end.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:53 PM
JRB86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
haha good old Scottie, man I miss
Still like Babs though.

JRB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:15 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
They say it about every hard nosed coach. Hitchcock was booted from Dallas for the same reasons. Then Tippett. Guess what's going on in Dallas? They are still scrambling to find anybody half as good as those two guys.

Torts leaves Tampa and starts the chain of success in New York.

These guys aren't easy to work for, but they get results. Smart players understand this. Brad Richards couldn't wait to leave the coaching mess in Dallas and play for a coach that demanded accountability again.
Good point, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The situation that makes the Wings peculiar is that it's not just a coach sticking around for a long time, 7 years now, but a group of players who for the most part have been around for a long time as well.

It wouldn't be a shock really, in fact maybe the opposite, if they were starting to grate on each other. I mean imagine you are Franzen and you've probably heard Babcock use the same motivational ploy about 80 times by now and imagine you are Babcock and have seen Franzen ignore your motivational ploys about 70 times by now as well.
But I think this is a good point too.

IIRC, Babcock himself said in some interview (must be over an year ago) that ''after a while players don't hear you saying pinch at this moment, here bring it back to the point, cut to the middle, drive to the net here or other tactical information, they just here you say bla bla blaa''. Or something along those lines.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:23 PM
joe89

I think Babs has a few years left with this team at minimum. But I'm not sure having the same coach, no matter how good he is, forever is the right way to go either. But that'll likely show the next couple of years.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:31 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
The thing is, where to find a coach who knows as much about the game and coaching as Babcock and could bring better results than him?

Andrew Murray's UFA rights for Alain Vigneault?

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:33 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

LOL @ People getting defensive.
I just heard it today driving home and it's the first I've heard of it, so I posted it. Thought it might be discussion worthy.

Another comment from Francis:
The consensus around the league is that the only thing Suter has left to decide is what number he'll wear for the Red Wings.

Another comment from Francis, Stellick and Co:
Francis said he'd been thinking about it and wanted the other guys' opinions about whether or not they thought the Wings might land both Parise and Suter. Both guys immediately agreed they thought it was very possible, though one guy thought the Wild might be working on something similar.

If you ask me, i think Babcock is a bit frustrated/unhappy with the Wings. Since last year, he's been kind of sticking it in Kenny's ribs about Holland's failure to get players.
I don't get to see how Babcock acts with the players. But I noticed Lidstrom didn't seem to have a lot of kind words for Babcock when he retired. But I don't know if that's anything noteworthy.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:35 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
The thing is, where to find a coach who knows as much about the game and coaching as Babcock and could bring better results than him?

Andrew Murray's UFA rights for Alain Vigneault?
Hehe. I certainly wouldn't cut ties with him unless there is a really big coaching name out there. Babcock will be an NHL coach for a long long time as long as he wants to.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
But I noticed Lidstrom didn't seem to have a lot of kind words for Babcock when he retired. But I don't know if that's anything noteworthy.
I noticed this too. He thanked Scottie and Dave Lewis a lot, but I do remember he thanked Babcock for giving him a ton of ice time

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:01 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Yeah, this isn't anything new. Everybody hates the coach. Or isn't that the old story?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
LOL @ People getting defensive.
Nobody is getting defensive. People just don't buy it, given all the supplementary evidence we have. People not believing the rumor monger is part of the "discussion" you wanted to prompt.