HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Francis on HNIC Radio: Babcock is Despised by the Players in Detroit

Old
06-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
If players hate him and he's successful, why fire him?
The question with Babcock will be, can he reach them again? Scotty did it in 02. But he got a serious revamp of the roster.

Or, were you just trolling?
What's the point of this thread then? You've been saying Babcock has been tuned out for years. I don't think anyone else cares.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:07 PM
VM1138

There's no doubt there is some level of tuning out. Happens to every coach. But as someone else already noted, this team has been virtually untouched for years. The formula has never change, roster wise or coach-wise.

This summer is going to see such a huge shakeup. I'm betting that you get new players to buy into the system and the old ones who have been tuning Babcock out get motivated to keep up with the new guys like Suter and Parise.

It's easier to replace players than winning coaches and systems.

But seriously, tuning out does not equal despise. And even if they did, it would only be a couple of the players and they would just have to get over it. Babcock clashed with them in the beginning but he toned down his style and everything clicked. Shanahan hated Bowman. Bowman hated everyone. It happens.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:15 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
What's the point of this thread then? You've been saying Babcock has been tuned out for years. I don't think anyone else cares.
No, I haven't been saying that. I said it's something to watch for. I can't know if players have tuned someone out.
I can't know if players despise a coach.
I don't think those two things are the same thing.
In fact, it might be a better sign for Babcock if he is despised instead of tuned out.

All things that can be talked about and discussed by rational people

If someone even questions something, you take it as a statement against it.

Nice job "moderating" the discussion.

On this board, if you're not approaching every discussion with "REDWINGS ARE #1" as the premise for whatever it is you are about to say, people get pissy.
People need to grow up.

Last edited by RedWingsNow*: 06-15-2012 at 11:22 PM.
RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:18 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
There's no doubt there is some level of tuning out. Happens to every coach. But as someone else already noted, this team has been virtually untouched for years. The formula has never change, roster wise or coach-wise.

This summer is going to see such a huge shakeup. I'm betting that you get new players to buy into the system and the old ones who have been tuning Babcock out get motivated to keep up with the new guys like Suter and Parise.

It's easier to replace players than winning coaches and systems.

But seriously, tuning out does not equal despise. And even if they did, it would only be a couple of the players and they would just have to get over it. Babcock clashed with them in the beginning but he toned down his style and everything clicked. Shanahan hated Bowman. Bowman hated everyone. It happens.
I'm not sure which is easier.
But I do think that a big turnover will help Babcock re-establish a message/system

Old
06-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think the point of this thread is to comment on someone close to the NHL's comments on Babcock being apparently "despised" by the players in Detroit. He put his own personal comments on what they guy said, and it created a debate in this thread.

I would much rather hear something like this than to see the random "PIT - DET" trade proposal threads, simply because this is possibly true, and we already do know that Babcock has been attempting to address the problem of being tuned out or potentially approaching that problem, while the stupid trade proposal thread is something between two fans, not two GM's. It isn't even something that a reporter of any sort has posted as a rumor... it's just junk.

Now, my question is... what did Babcock do shortly after taking over the team involving Yzerman? Can someone give me details about this?

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:44 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
The older I get, the more I realize what a hack Eric Francis is.

One of his gems from early this year:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun.../19197661.html

Every time I read his name at the top of the column, I don't even bother now.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:10 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleftlx View Post
I think the point of this thread is to comment on someone close to the NHL's comments on Babcock being apparently "despised" by the players in Detroit. He put his own personal comments on what they guy said, and it created a debate in this thread.

I would much rather hear something like this than to see the random "PIT - DET" trade proposal threads, simply because this is possibly true, and we already do know that Babcock has been attempting to address the problem of being tuned out or potentially approaching that problem, while the stupid trade proposal thread is something between two fans, not two GM's. It isn't even something that a reporter of any sort has posted as a rumor... it's just junk.

Now, my question is... what did Babcock do shortly after taking over the team involving Yzerman? Can someone give me details about this?
Babcock basically took Yzerman down a peg. Yzerman was not happy with being a fourth liner. He was not the same player, obviously, following the surgery and then the lockout.

It may have been what Babcock needed to take the room. You gotta remember that the players ran the ship with Lewis as coach. At the time, there was a lot of talk about how the veteran Red Wings were so good they didn't need a hard-ass coach. Lewis proved that theory wrong.

Here's a story from USA today that details the icetime; But there was another story that talked about it a bit differently.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...an-cover_x.htm
Quote:
It's quite a turnaround from before Christmas and even into January, when Yzerman, bothered by nagging groin injuries, appeared to be surviving more than thriving. Three times during the season, Coach Mike Babcock played Yzerman less than seven minutes a game. There were 10 other games when Yzerman played less than 10 minutes.
Quote:
Yzerman also considered quitting: "It was difficult to get going in late November, early December. It was a struggle."

But he has never been about quitting. Once an $8 million player, he took just over $1 million this season because of the salary cap.

Babcock, in his first season in Detroit, understood it was major news when the ice time of Hockeytown's most popular player was cut. With 692 goals and 1,063 assists, Yzerman is the NHL's sixth leading point producer. This is a player who once produced 155 points in a season (1988-89), and he's a two-time 60-plus goal scorer.

In Detroit hockey history, two players are in a class by themselves — Gordie Howe and Yzerman.

Yzerman is such a revered name that Team Canada boss Wayne Gretzky said he would be on the Olympic team if he wanted to be. Yzerman declined the invitation to Torino, because he didn't think his game was up to his standards.

Yzerman "would be the first to tell you that leadership isn't easy," Babcock says. "Sometimes when you are captain and you have to say something to a teammate, it isn't easy. And sometimes when you are coach, the decisions aren't easy. But they are right.

"He met with me this summer, and he flat out told me, 'I want nothing for free,' " Babcock says of the 20-year Wings' captain. "He made it very clear. That's a challenge for me. He's saying, 'I'm one of the guys.' But I know he is not one of the guys."
There was another report at the time about veterans not being happy with the way Yzerman was treated.
But Yzerman evidently got over it, as he hired Babcock as Team Canada coach.

It was kind of weird to lose Shanahan and Yzerman in the same season.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:10 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
The older I get, the more I realize what a hack Eric Francis is.

One of his gems from early this year:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun.../19197661.html

Every time I read his name at the top of the column, I don't even bother now.
I can't stand the guy either.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:16 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
As I'm sure has been said numerous times already in this thread:

Eric Francis is a loser/hack/idiot

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:56 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
I thought that's why Babs brought in young assistants, to bring a fresh perspective. Seems like it just messed up our PP.
I think the PP was messed because of Rafalski's retirement, Holmström's regression and lack of right-handed sniper forwards.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:35 AM
FabricDetails

Is Eric Francis Euroman from RWC?

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Shanahan made a comment at some point that he too didn't think he needed to have someone screaming at him all the time like he was some kind of rookie. He felt he'd earned his stripes and some respect, which evidently was missing.

I think this report is accurate, maybe despise is very harsh, but the guys looked pretty disengaged, robotic.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
This is somewhat true about Babcock...Cleary bags on Babs all the time in front of some people I know. Not that it matters to some that I know this, but take it for what it is....Some players on the roster dont respect him, and he doesnt respect some of his players... For some on here, those players are easy to point out..

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Shoalzie

Funny that these reports come out when they aren't winning...how many players didn't like him when they were going to 3 straight Western Finals and back-to-back Fianls?

I would be curious to see what the new leadership in the room does with Babcock going forward. The "old guard" is now gone...it's now Hank, Pavel and Kronner's team. It's a new dynamic for Babs and the team to not have Yzerman or Lidstrom to turn to in the room. The possibility of Suter and/or Parise coming in could stir the pot some too.

I'd be curious to see the interaction between Babs and the players on 24/7. It won't tell the whole story but it'll be more of an inside look than before.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale View Post
This is somewhat true about Babcock...Cleary bags on Babs all the time in front of some people I know. Not that it matters to some that I know this, but take it for what it is....Some players on the roster dont respect him, and he doesnt respect some of his players... For some on here, those players are easy to point out..
Cleary should be the last player to harp on Babcock. Any other coach in the league would of had his ass sitting in the pressbox most of the year.

Not to mention the fact he was on his way out of the NHL before coming here and turning into a 3mil/year player and winning a ring under Babcock.

But it is what it is I suppose..

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:31 AM
sepster

Yeah, I definitely have been told that Cleary in particular has no love for Babcock. Same with Maltby when he was active.

Also, remember when Brett Hull was a commentator for national broadcasts back in '96 and he said, "There is absolutely no way Datsyuk resigns with the Wings this summer because of Babcock" on the air during a game? Obviously, that didn't unfold that way, but rumors of the players and Babcock mot being buddies have been around seemingly as long as Babcock has been coach.

And you know what? I don't really care that the players don't get along with the coach. I've always thought the "players coach" ends up being a disaster.

Now, has Babcock gotten stale? That's a separate issue that could have some validity.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:33 AM
sepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Cleary should be the last player to harp on Babcock. Any other coach in the league would of had his ass sitting in the pressbox most of the year.

Not to mention the fact he was on his way out of the NHL before coming here and turning into a 3mil/year player and winning a ring under Babcock.

But it is what it is I suppose..
Agree on Cleary. Hey Danny-boy, you have a problem? There's the door, I'd prefer if it kicks you in the ass on your way out.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepster View Post
I don't really care that the players don't get along with the coach. I've always thought the "players coach" ends up being a disaster.
^This.^

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:06 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepster View Post
Yeah, I definitely have been told that Cleary in particular has no love for Babcock. Same with Maltby when he was active.

Also, remember when Brett Hull was a commentator for national broadcasts back in '96 and he said, "There is absolutely no way Datsyuk resigns with the Wings this summer because of Babcock" on the air during a game? Obviously, that didn't unfold that way, but rumors of the players and Babcock mot being buddies have been around seemingly as long as Babcock has been coach.

And you know what? I don't really care that the players don't get along with the coach. I've always thought the "players coach" ends up being a disaster.

Now, has Babcock gotten stale? That's a separate issue that could have some validity.
Yeah, I think a players coach can be good with the right locker room in the right situation.

When you're a hard ass and the all the jerkish prods you give result in a winning team, then the players might hate you but respect you.

When you're a hard ass and the dick things you do result in nothing special, I can see things going down south quick.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:13 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Funny that these reports come out when they aren't winning...how many players didn't like him when they were going to 3 straight Western Finals and back-to-back Fianls?

I would be curious to see what the new leadership in the room does with Babcock going forward. The "old guard" is now gone...it's now Hank, Pavel and Kronner's team. It's a new dynamic for Babs and the team to not have Yzerman or Lidstrom to turn to in the room. The possibility of Suter and/or Parise coming in could stir the pot some too.

I'd be curious to see the interaction between Babs and the players on 24/7. It won't tell the whole story but it'll be more of an inside look than before.
24-7 should be awesome.

it's really pretty shameful how little the local beat writers have done to give us any perspective about Babcock and the team, behind closed doors.

The Ghost of Keith Gave must haunt them.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:19 AM
probertrules24

Quote:
24-7 should be awesome.

it's really pretty shameful how little the local beat writers have done to give us any perspective about Babcock and the team, behind closed doors.

Not saying either way but maybe there isn't a story. If the players respect the coach and the coach respects them not much to write about.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:40 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
Not saying either way but maybe there isn't a story. If the players respect the coach and the coach respects them not much to write about.
There's always a story. After 7 years or whatever, if the story is that the players and coaches all get along, then that is the story — somewhere in that 7 years, there ought to be a story which sheds light on the way the way the coach approaches his players.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Unsportsmanlike
Marc Madsen

Eric Francis is a no talent hack that steals info from other sources and then claims it to be insider info. He's an absolute moron that doesn't know what he is talking about. For any one interested in hearing with an uninformed moron he is you can tune into the Fan590 radio station on Tuesday morning at 720am. He's an idiot

Unsportsmanlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Let me say this, if all the players like the coach they probably are a crappy team. A good/great coach pushes his players beyond their comfort level, some players adapt some shutdown and need to move on.

Everyone loved Dave Lewis, we all know the results of that abortion.

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
24-7 should be awesome.

It's not just the Wings. The Lions are the only team really held accountable in this town.

Jim Leyand is a moron, yet he gets blown by the Detroit media. He pulls his best reliever after 15 pitches for a guy making his MLB debut on the road in a tied game, add to it this guy has 29 walk in 29 inning in AAA, No one rips him at all. i could go on and on but wont bore anyone with baseball stats, or as Leyland calls "geek stuff"

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote