HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles Sign Jesse Joensuu to 1 year, 1 way deal

Old
06-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Aucoin3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
This is actually a good move, because it is low risk. At this point JJ is better than Rolston or Hunter, and I am a huge Hunter fan, but that ship sailed.

We should be setup with

Moulson/JT/Strome
Bailey/Nielsen/Okposo
Grabner/Cizikas/Martin
Ullstrom/Reasoner/JJ

Not great, but adding Jokinen would align this team right.
Jokinen demanded a trade to leave here do you really think he is coming back?

All in all signing JJ is a non move and shouldnt be talked about. He will come to camp attempt to make the team get cut and go back to SEL. He just isnt an NHL player and I dont think one year over seas changed that. There are just some guys that are just a cut below like Jason Krog. I wish him the best of luck though because if he can turn it on that would be a nice addition.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Korkki

That's why you USA based fans don't want him into the Isles

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
Can not believe this..... What kind of defense does JJ provide? Who Does he Hit?

sounds like more pain.....JJ and Reasoner

Reasoner is a Joke.....

we will have the softest 4th line in The NHL again.......Players that should be retired and players lucky to be in the NHL.......

If Snow can not bring in better talent and loses PA......we will get #1 overall in 2013......

Will it ever get better?
I would be shocked if Reasoner came back next season.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post

That's why you USA based fans don't want him into the Isles
That is why we do want him but he is not good enough to do it against NHL d-men and goalies.

Im going to edit this quick before you tell me that was Howard in goal and it was the USA team. It is not the same thing as the real NHL grind against real NHL teams not a team scrapped together after the season ends.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:48 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post

Milbury traded Jokinen in 1999.Jokinen felt he could score at the nhl level and wanted off the 3rd line.

Isles have a different gm and a different owner.

You really think he's harbored a grudge, for 13 yrs?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Otto91

JJ has no speed.......does not hit......and is not a good defensive player....so what is the plan here? 3rd or 4th line? to do what? a cheap sign to take up space ....sorry I do not like this one way sign....perhaps Snow thinks he can replace PA....which would be a big joke and a mistake........

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Otto91

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Otto91

Joensuu is not soft. He is very physical.

So he is a 4th line player who has speed and can shut down players and be an energy guy?

and He will fight too right?

Snow is building a team with no Balls again....

30th place before season starts if it starts

Old
06-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
JJ has no speed.......does not hit......and is not a good defensive player....so what is the plan here? 3rd or 4th line? to do what? a cheap sign to take up space ....sorry I do not like this one way sign....perhaps Snow thinks he can replace PA....which would be a big joke and a mistake........
I hate Snow as much as the next guy but this is pretty much a nothing contract. JJ can play well improve the team and make Snow look good. I know I will be rooting for JJ. He can go back to Sweden if he fails. Nothing to lose

Winning teams need to worry about 3rd/4th lines and 5th and 6th dmen falling into place for that little extra push. The Isles need to worry about the top 6 and top 4. We as fans (myself included) get to bogged down with the Reasnors, Thompsons, and JJs of the team when the true problem is the lack of an entire 2nd line and not having a true top pairing dman. If we had a real 2nd line and a top pair dman it would bump everyone else down which automatically would improve the lower lines.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:24 AM
KyleBailey12

Quote:

No, Snow thinks he can replace Pandolfo. You're making a big deal over the one way sign. If he doesn't make the team out of camp they will bury him in Bridge and if they want to send him down/up he'll go through waivers.

Like others have said this is low risk/low to fair reward.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:32 AM
One for the thumb

I didn't realize I am in the minority; I actually like the move a lot. He put up some decent numbers for the SEL. High reward, low risk.

Looking through the Elite league stats, I didn't know Krog was on Jesse's team and I also notice our old friend Dick Tarnstrom is still playing.

One for the thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
I'm so happy i crapped myself. I loved this guy while he was here, i'm smiling from ear to ear!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:47 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
That is why we do want him but he is not good enough to do it against NHL d-men and goalies.

Im going to edit this quick before you tell me that was Howard in goal and it was the USA team. It is not the same thing as the real NHL grind against real NHL teams not a team scrapped together after the season ends.
I guess the answer is no one really knows. He'll get a chance to make the club. I don't see anything wrong with this. I'd love to see them take fliers on one or two other players like David Moss. If it doesn't work you waive them and/or send them down. It certainly doesn't prevent you from making other moves and maybe generates a little goodwill with an agent.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:10 AM
dorffxmosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
I am not sure I think much more than you, but how do you KNOW that? If the team would have signed Prust, I can't imagine that Joensuu is an equal replacement. They bring different things to the lineup.
Prust loves being a Ranger, I would LOVE to have a guy like Prust on the Islanders, he is everything that we don't have. I really think the Isles are going to be terrible this year... and hope that we can tank the season to get either Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon next year... but Edmonton may win the lottery again!

dorffxmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:13 AM
dorffxmosh

Quote:
He will be back to start the year, past that I doubt he plays in the NHL again.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:16 AM
dorffxmosh

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
This is actually a good move, because it is low risk. At this point JJ is better than Rolston or Hunter, and I am a huge Hunter fan, but that ship sailed.

We should be setup with

Moulson/JT/Strome
Bailey/Nielsen/Okposo
Grabner/Cizikas/Martin
Ullstrom/Reasoner/JJ

Not great, but adding Jokinen would align this team right.
Strome will be in juniors again this year, he need one more year. The Islanders will sign another Marty Reasoner this year to try and help this team... good thing there isnt a thread on the NYI top 6 defensemen....

Old
06-16-2012, 09:32 AM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
It doesn't bother me...if JJ continues to perform like he did this past season in Sweden then he will make the team out of camp and we won't have to rush a kid. If he plays like he did with us the year prior, we simply waive him and send him to Europe. It has absolutely no risk to it, and all it shows is that Snow doesn't want to rush kids that aren't ready and that he wants to have as many options as possible going into this upcoming season.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Otto91

the larger ice in sweden did not make jessie an NHL player.....not much on a physical game their either.......

it would be nice to add real nhl players for a change.....thats all

Old
06-16-2012, 09:45 AM
IslandersFan17

If you want to build a winner with the Islanders you have to develop your prospects and try to get the most out of each and every draft.

Well documented is the fact the Islanders can not sign top tier FAs. Thus, like I said you need to maximize your draft classes. JJ has had more time to develop and has played in NA for a decent period of time thus you know the kid is adjusted and hopefully playing overseas and getting legit ice time helped even more.

There may be a tad bit of an adjustment seeing as how the ice surface is different over seas but in the same regard the physical maturity should truly help with the confidence to boot.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:31 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Strome??? Please, no. Not yet.
I agree that Strome should not be there, but I feel that the organization is going this route.

Ideally this team would be setup within realistic pickups

Moulson/JT/Tootoo
Bailey/Jokinen/Okposo
Grabner/Nielsen/Martin
Ullstrom/Cizikas/JJ

Carle/Hamonic
Streit/MacDonald
Reese/De Haan

Nabokov/Poulin

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:34 AM
majormet

Quote:

All in all signing JJ is a non move and shouldnt be talked about. He will come to camp attempt to make the team get cut and go back to SEL. He just isnt an NHL player and I dont think one year over seas changed that. There are just some guys that are just a cut below like Jason Krog. I wish him the best of luck though because if he can turn it on that would be a nice addition.
A lot has happened since Jokinen has left, he is a guy who will go where the money is. Isles can pay him Rolston type money and get to the cap, and Jokinen is good for 45-55 points and much better suited to center the 2nd line than Nielsen who is an ideal 3rd line center. Jokinen is a feisty veteran, and heck maybe he would be happy with a fellow Fin on the team in JJ.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Reasoner is not a FA, he is signed with your team.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:51 AM
TeamKidd

I just cant wait for butchie to try to pronounce his name. In fact, im fairly certain thats the entire reason they got him anyways...

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:58 AM
OpAck

I suspect there are "some" people seeing the "Isles Sign Joensuu, One Year, One Way Deal" and not reading any of the posts that detail how this does not guarantee him a roster spot and about the Europe out-clause. They immediately think Snow just stupidly gave this guy a guaranteed 2012-13 roster spot, and they react by posting how bad of a deal this is.

I say that, because, I thought the same thing until I read a few of the posts. Now...this deal doesn't bother me.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:33 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
I'm so happy i crapped myself. I loved this guy while he was here, i'm smiling from ear to ear!
Here we go again bottom feeding.

Can't make up our minds on our own prospects and praying that we find a minor miracle and a replacement for PAP.

(I know people will say this is a simple signing and not related to PAP, but I believe it is).

Get ready for an even longer season than last.

Maybe we will at least walk away w/the top pick.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:42 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Here we go again bottom feeding.

Can't make up our minds on our own prospects and praying that we find a minor miracle and a replacement for PAP.

(I know people will say this is a simple signing and not related to PAP, but I believe it is).

Get ready for an even longer season than last.

Maybe we will at least walk away w/the top pick.
I think it's more a case of Joensuu impressing the isles front office,with his play at the recent IIHF tournament.

A knock on him when he was over playing in NA, was he wasn't using his size the way they wanted him to.He did a great job using his size during the tournament and this is a low risk move,from a team that had hoped to add 6'3 Petrov to their roster.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote