HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Sign Jesse Joensuu to 1 year, 1 way deal

Old
06-16-2012, 01:54 PM
SDIsles34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorffxmosh View Post
Strome will be in juniors again this year, he need one more year. The Islanders will sign another Marty Reasoner this year to try and help this team... good thing there isnt a thread on the NYI top 6 defensemen....
My question is.. if Strome comes into Training Camp looking like a beast, bigger frame, improved skating etc. Dominating prospects and training camp, puts up points in the preseason, should he still be sent down to juniors?

I understand that most of the posters here feel like they know exactly what the future holds, but this is a possible scenario that could very well happen. The kid has high end skill and a great work ethic. Training with JT in the offseason is a huge plus seeing the type of improvement he made on his overall game in just one offseason.

I think the big change in this franchise will be when one of our forward prospects finally steps up and takes over, dominates in training camp/ preseason and gives the coaching staff no reason to keep him out of the top 6.

SDIsles34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
My question is.. if Strome comes into Training Camp looking like a beast, bigger frame, improved skating etc. Dominating prospects and training camp, puts up points in the preseason, should he still be sent down to juniors?

I understand that most of the posters here feel like they know exactly what the future holds, but this is a possible scenario that could very well happen. The kid has high end skill and a great work ethic. Training with JT in the offseason is a huge plus seeing the type of improvement he made on his overall game in just one offseason.

I think the big change in this franchise will be when one of our forward prospects finally steps up and takes over, dominates in training camp/ preseason and gives the coaching staff no reason to keep him out of the top 6.
If he has the size (like Nino did) and skill (Nino kinda had) and mental focus (Nino lacked) and ability to compete with NHL REGULARS (Nino in no way had) in an NHL PACED GAME (No way did Nino have) then yes, Strome is ready.

But what has history shown us?

All it takes is a promise or desire to circumvent the cap. I want to be 100% sure a VERY VITALLY IMPORTANT prospect like Strome is absolutely ready.

But then again, I expect that critique of 7th defensemen. My team does not. And way too many fans do not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patience

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:03 PM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Here we go again bottom feeding.

Can't make up our minds on our own prospects and praying that we find a minor miracle and a replacement for PAP.

(I know people will say this is a simple signing and not related to PAP, but I believe it is).

Get ready for an even longer season than last.

Maybe we will at least walk away w/the top pick.

I agree. The Isles will be bottom feeders again if JJ is good enough to warrant a spot on this team.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Yitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
I agree. The Isles will be bottom feeders again if JJ is good enough to warrant a spot on this team.
i think we should worry more about our top six instead of our fourth line....

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:01 PM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
I do not disagree. I would love to hear we brought in a top 6 guy and a top 4 defenseman . Who do you think the teams has its sights set on now that JJ will be in camp?

Old
06-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

I see Joensuu taking Nino's spot rather than Pandolfo's. Hopefully somebody else takes Pandolfo's spot as well. And ideally Nino plays a whole year in the AHL.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Milbury traded Jokinen in 1999.Jokinen felt he could score at the nhl level and wanted off the 3rd line.

Isles have a different gm and a different owner.

You really think he's harbored a grudge, for 13 yrs?
yes, i don't think there is any chance he would come back when he has 29 other choices.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
Exactly JJ will be on the 3rd/4th line. We currently lack a 1st line winger a 2nd line center and a 2nd line winger. Its a bit more important to worry about the top end than to complain about the 3rd and 4th line guys

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:00 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
yes, i don't think there is any chance he would come back when he has 29 other choices.
I don't recall Jokinen having big games against the Isles, over the last 13 seasons.
We haven't seen Jokinen,the NYI slayer

I think Jokinen believed in his scoring ability and proved Milbury wrong.There've been no stories about Jokinen's bitter feelings, toward the NYI franchise.

At 33 yrs old,he's coming off a season where he made $3m.He probably wants the security of a multi yr deal.Those will be Jokinen's big concerns.Not that the Isles ex-gm, didn't have faith in him 13 yrs ago.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
No teams bottom 6 determines whether or not they're a "bottom feeder."

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:46 PM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

I will respectfully disagree with you on that. The point is this team has to upgrade everywhere. Bringing back a guy who could not cut it in on the this team in the 1st place(if he makes the team) is no real help. We desperately need at least 1 top six foward brought in ( 2 if P.A does not return) and 2 defenseman (under the age of 100) before this team will be a playoff contender. As it stands now, we are looking at the possibility of starting 2 rookies on defense. This will be another year of missing the playoffs. Lets raise the bar a little bit here.

Old
06-17-2012, 01:02 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Yeah it does. That's 40% of icetime with AWFUL play or 40% of icetime with checking, defense and toughness.

A more full spectrum of hockey, even though Wang wants tea cups rather than Gatorade bottles behind the bench.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Wanderson

vCash: 151
I love this signing. Jesse has been awesome in Sweden last season, and he was one of Finlands best players in WHC.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
I will respectfully disagree with you on that. The point is this team has to upgrade everywhere. Bringing back a guy who could not cut it in on the this team in the 1st place(if he makes the team) is no real help. We desperately need at least 1 top six foward brought in ( 2 if P.A does not return) and 2 defenseman (under the age of 100) before this team will be a playoff contender. As it stands now, we are looking at the possibility of starting 2 rookies on defense. This will be another year of missing the playoffs. Lets raise the bar a little bit here.
So a player fails to make a team one year. He plays in the minors, works hard to improve his game, and then is able to earn a spot on the team. And that makes the team a bottom feeder?

That doesn't really make sense to me.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:40 PM
StumpNYI

I think your expectations of Joensuu are too high if you are upset with this (I doubt he will be in the top 6). He will be fine as a 3rd/4th liner if he makes the team. He was never a liability when on the ice and he will score more then Nino, Reasoner, Pandolfo, and Martin.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:44 PM
goal1228

[QUOTE=Seph;51014101]So a player fails to make a team one year. He plays in the minors, works hard to improve his game, and then is able to earn a spot on the team. And that makes the team a bottom feeder?

Huh???

We originally drafted this guy back in 2006. Whats changed in his game this year?

There are a ton better options avalable. I dont hate the guy, he's just never been an NHL talent imo and never will be.

Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL 1 0 0 0 0 0 |
2008-09 Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL 71 20 19 39 58 22 | Playoffs 5 2 1 3 4 0
New York Islanders NHL 7 1 2 3 4 -1 |
2009-10 Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL 70 14 34 48 66 6 | Playoffs 5 0 2 2 6 0
New York Islanders NHL 11 1 0 1 4 4 |
2010-11 Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL 35 8 16 24 31 -3 |
New York Islanders NHL 42 6 3 9 33 -6 |
Finland WC 0 0 0 0 0 0 |
2011-12 HV71 Elitserien 50 13 16 29 58 -2 | Playoffs 6 2 1 3 37 0
Finland EHT EHT 8 0 1 1 2 2 |
Finland WC 9 2 3 5 24 2 |
2012-13 New York Islanders NHL - - - - - |

Old
06-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Well, in JJ's case, the question is whether he's improved in this year as a 1st liner in Sweden and with two handfuls of national team play, including a solid role at the WC.

We can't really know that now.

When I got a chance to talk to him at the WC, he wasn't willing to make any clearcut statement at the time, but my sense was that he definitely wanted to return to NA. He made some hints about that when referring to how he still has things to prove. He clearly stated that the KHL was no option for him and that he felt he didn't do nearly as well as he can when he got his cup of coffee at the NHL level.

Clearly Snow 'n co. are willing to
A) see if he's 'gotten it' along the way and can do something positive here
B) see if he's got any trade value

He is a real big boy and his skating has increased in leaps and bounds since he was drafted. He can show emotion. If he understands and is willing to use that body in a physical sense as a grinding winger who brings a 110% effort in his own zone, I certainly do not see why he can't help this team on a lower line.

This said, he did NOT seem to want to assume that role in his first go-around. Furthermore, he spent time in BPort playing a perimeter game and trying to be the playmaker. That just won't cut it.

Has he come to understand that?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:22 AM
nonoob12

joensuus hand have become better in europe as you can see in these videos
here some nice moves against czechz at EHT

and here hes highlights on past season on elitserien

NoNoob12: in order to post youtube videos on this site, you just need to take everything after the = sign in the youtube URL (the bolded part)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIgpof1x7ug and put it inbetween [yt] [/yt ] (no space at the end of the last bracket, i just did it that way so you can see how it's done. if I closed the bracket a big white box would appear instead of the [yt........]

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 06-18-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: fixing the Youtube embed
nonoob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Yeah it does. That's 40% of icetime with AWFUL play or 40% of icetime with checking, defense and toughness.

A more full spectrum of hockey, even though Wang wants tea cups rather than Gatorade bottles behind the bench.
well what I really meant to say was no 1 player in the bottom 6 determines if they're a bottom feeder or not.

With or Without Joensuu the Isles need help in the bottom 6. Some of that can actually come from within if they bring in some top 6 talent which will push guys like Frans and Bailey down where they belong on the 3rd line.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world if Joensuu is brought back. I do think if guys like Pandolfo & Reasoner (and I know he has a contract) are back, that will be more damning than anything else.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:44 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
[/B]

Its a 1 way deal right? He's not an NHL player in my opinion. I would rather try and bring in an energy guy like Prust/ Moen or even play Haley on the 4th line before bringing this guy back. This Team needs to add some toughness somewhere. I think the team is taking a step backwards with this signing.
Benn saying this for a while. I would rather have both of those guys than Jesse. They both can throw them and put up some points too. Lots of energy. I would love to add thos two guys to the 4th line.

Prust-Reasoner-Moen

Makes having Reasoner a bit more acceptable in his role.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:51 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
This is actually a good move, because it is low risk. At this point JJ is better than Rolston or Hunter, and I am a huge Hunter fan, but that ship sailed.

We should be setup with

Moulson/JT/Strome
Bailey/Nielsen/Okposo
Grabner/Cizikas/Martin
Ullstrom/Reasoner/JJ

Not great, but adding Jokinen would align this team right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
That is a dreadful lineup. Just horrific.
Brutal brutal lineup. Hello another top 5 pick.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:52 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
I would be shocked if Reasoner came back next season.
He has another year on his contract unfortunately. Hopefully they find a way to get rid of him. One of the most useless players ever to suit up for the Isles.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Brutal brutal lineup. Hello another top 5 pick.
At this point, I'd say Seth Jones/Nathan MacKinnon is the best thing this franchise could do for itself.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
At this point, I'd say Seth Jones/Nathan MacKinnon is the best thing this franchise could do for itself.
For making itself attractive to a buyer who wants to bring the team somewhere else.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Huokaus

I believe Joensuu now has more confidence after a good season in SEL and a good WHC. He's grown as a player. I hope he will be an impact player

post #100

Huokaus is online now   Reply With Quote