HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we re-sign Hecht?

Old
06-16-2012, 07:53 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
So has Vanek, Pominville, Miller.... Not a good reason to get rid of someone, IMO. Might as well trade the whole team after every season they miss the playoffs.

I could go either way on Hecht. A 1 yr. contract at the veteran minimum and there isn't much risk involved. When he's in the game he can make an impact on just about any line. Would be nice depth to have when the inevitable injuries occur. When he's injured we won't be as negatively affected because his contract is so low.

On the other hand, he's past his prime and can only be counted on for so many games a season. He can be, and was, replaced. We have a young roster that could use veteran leadership, but might be better served giving the playing time to the youngsters to develop.
Well their contracts aren't up so its not as easy to sever ties with them.

8 points in 22 games last year, and 29 in 67 the year before. Not enough for a dude averaging 16-18 minutes a game.

He turns 35 on Thursday. That puts him in the 35+ group so if I'm not mistaken any way you look at it he will be on the cap.

No thanks. Appreciate his services here for so long, but roster spots should be valued much higher than throwing the veteran minimum at a guy you can't count on to be in the lineup.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Well their contracts aren't up so its not as easy to sever ties with them.

8 points in 22 games last year, and 29 in 67 the year before. Not enough for a dude averaging 16-18 minutes a game.

He turns 35 on Thursday. That puts him in the 35+ group so if I'm not mistaken any way you look at it he will be on the cap.

No thanks. Appreciate his services here for so long, but roster spots should be valued much higher than throwing the veteran minimum at a guy you can't count on to be in the lineup.
Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with letting him go for the reasons you mention here just not the reason you used earlier which was "because the team sucked for 5 years".

Even if his cap hit will always count because of his age, at my acceptable price of "league minimum" then he's not hurting us regardless.

In general I anticipated and wished for them to let him go, but with the condition of lowest possible salary I think keeping him as the "13th forward" would be helpful. Granted he'd likely skate in every game he's not injured and I'd be fine with that for the right price.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:34 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with letting him go for the reasons you mention here just not the reason you used earlier which was "because the team sucked for 5 years".

Even if his cap hit will always count because of his age, at my acceptable price of "league minimum" then he's not hurting us regardless.

In general I anticipated and wished for them to let him go, but with the condition of lowest possible salary I think keeping him as the "13th forward" would be helpful. Granted he'd likely skate in every game he's not injured and I'd be fine with that for the right price.
Well, in a round about way, that reason should be acceptable. A change in culture is needed. Just as it was last year and in a few previous years. The quicker we can get away from the players who haven't proven their worth over the last few years the better. This year it just happens to be his turn.

Old
06-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

No, not at any price.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone more supportive of Hecht than me but at his age and with the concussion history, I don't have faith that he can contribute to an NHL team.

As usual, I agree with Chain. He doesn't need hockey anymore, he should move on while he still can.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
So has Vanek, Pominville, Miller.... Not a good reason to get rid of someone, IMO. Might as well trade the whole team after every season they miss the playoffs.
...after.... 5 years with 3 no shows, and 2 1st round losses... YES, trade/fire everyone.

5 Years is enough

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:18 AM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
No, he's no longer reliable. Encourage him to retire and think of his long-term well-being.
This. That's what I would think. He's been a good player at times and it sucks that he cannot hold up but he cannot. Time to move on.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:33 AM
McTank

I wouldnt give him more than one year one million hich he may not like, let him test free agency and if he wants to come back realy cheap at ther end of summer than why not

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:02 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Retire, so you can remember your kid's names 10 years from now.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:03 PM
SabreBlood

Not only do I not trust Ruff would utilize him correctly (checking line LW), there is something to be said for an injection of youth. Re-signing Hecht just prevents that from happening, and really, for no reason, whatsoever.

This team took on a more successful identity thanks to Ryan Miller's play, first and foremost, followed by the youthful energy provided by rookies like Foligno and Tropp. Will. Strength. Grit. Physicality. Urge. Diehard.

I don't want next year's Foligno and Tropp to never get a shot because players like Jochen Hecht continue to hand around , clogging everything up, along with a head coach that doesn't understand how to utilize his roster properly.

We need the intangibles of what youthful players can so often bring, in order succeed at a high level.

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:15 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
Not only do I not trust Ruff would utilize him correctly (checking line LW), there is something to be said for an injection of youth. Re-signing Hecht just prevents that from happening, and really, for no reason, whatsoever.

This team took on a more successful identity thanks to Ryan Miller's play, first and foremost, followed by the youthful energy provided by rookies like Foligno and Tropp. Will. Strength. Grit. Physicality. Urge. Diehard.

I don't want next year's Foligno and Tropp to never get a shot because players like Jochen Hecht continue to hand around , clogging everything up, along with a head coach that doesn't understand how to utilize his roster properly.

We need the intangibles of what youthful players can so often bring, in order succeed at a high level.
This x 1,000.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
I can't see Hecht staying healthy. He's has been getting concussions from "normal" hockey hits. These aren't bone jarring checks where the first thing that comes into your mind is concussion.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I would sign him. To a one day contract so he can retire as a Buffalo Sabre. Other then that, I wouldn't, and would encourage him to retire before the head injuries do more damage to his brain then they need to. Still a very good player, and it is unfortunate that it needs to end this way, but sometimes this happens.
No need to sign him to a one-day contract. If he's done, we'll be the last team he played for so he would retire as a Buffalo Sabre.

Also for those forgetting, the 35+ rule only works if it's a multi-year contract, so re-signing Hecht for a year means the contract wouldn't be a 35+ one.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:34 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Yes*

You talk to him push him towards retirement. If he is healthy and still has the fire to play, you sign him to a one year two way 850,000 contract in November have him play some games in rochester and WHEN the injury bug hits call him up and you have depth with experience..if the injury bug doesnt hit we have a 13th forward who can rotate in situational games when defense is key

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Sabresfansince1980

He's been out of the line-up at the end of the season for the last three years. I actually think he'd be better off at C now than LW, to reduce the number of hits his head could take against the boards/glass. None of us know his current health, and if he truly was "healthy" I would love to have him back on a one year deal for no more than 2 mil. But, as far as a fan can make a judgement, I doubt his head can make it past game 70, so even if he played a great 3rd line C, it's likely he won't be around again if they make the playoffs. Better to get a younger and possibly bigger/tougher player for the 4th line role, and hopefully add a 3rd C that can score with Ennis and Hodgson.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
He's been out of the line-up at the end of the season for the last three years.
Yes - but it's worth noting that, with all of the doubts centering on his recent concussion history, he missed the end of the 2009-10 season with a finger injury following surgery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=5082080

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

I like hecht. He has always done what the organization needed him to do. He has scored some ugly goals and some pretty goals. He has always been one of our most responsible, two way players. He has switched positions to help plug up some of the holes in our roster. He has been a trooper who has had many good years and a couple bad years with the Sabres.

It's hard because despite all of the good he has done, he needs to be let go. His injuries are too much to overcome in a career that was in the midst of it's twilight years. I hope the man still finds a role in hockey, but just not with the club. I feel awful saying that, too.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Yes - but it's worth noting that, with all of the doubts centering on his recent concussion history, he missed the end of the 2009-10 season with a finger injury following surgery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=5082080
It really doesn't matter what the injury is, he's just plain unreliable.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

His hometown team says that his acquisition is at least 'possible'. http://www.eishockeynews.de/aktuell/...usgabe-26.html (page 4)

I think this is a great opportunity for Hecht. He could play some less physical hockey over here, while still getting payed quite adequately, additionally the league is less competitive, which means that he's got more time to spend with his family.

If he won't get a solid contract (more than $1,000,000) in the NHL, I guess he'll head over to Mannheim.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
CrankyJay

No, sorry. We have moved on.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
sabregoat

As a player - NO

As a coach somewhere in the organization - I would

sabregoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:28 PM
La Cosa Nostra
FIRE MURRAY

NO. Hecht needs to be gone from this franchise. His body is done. Thanks for the memories Jochen but your not needed at all.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Missed the end of the past three seasons.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:21 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
...after.... 5 years with 3 no shows, and 2 1st round losses... YES, trade/fire everyone.

5 Years is enough
I needed to read this comment ^^ Some people just don't get it Jame.

Anyway

No on Hecht. He would take time away from the young guys. Also it would be very sad to see this guy get hurt with another concussion. Most likely would be against Boston with a dirty hit. Then no one would do anything, and they would end up being the softest team in the NHL. AGAIN.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:53 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Here's the circumstances where I sign Hecht.

1) We trade a center--either Roy OR we move Ennis for Ryan (or other top liner).
2) Grigorenko comes into camp and he does not look like he's ready
3) We sign Hecht in camp for 1 season to give us a third center and send Grigorenko back to Quebec.

In this scenario, we have a center (Hecht) who is familiar with the system and stuff so even if he misses part of camp he can fit right in, while still giving Grigorenko every shot to try and make the team. Hecht's deal because of his age and LTIR time last year can be incentive (basically, games played).

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post

Ruff never used Jochen Hecht incorrectly. Ruff optimized what he was given in his utilization of Jochen Hecht, whether it be on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd line and whether it be as a winger or center. This is a ridiculous criticism of Ruff and a bit of an insult to Jochen, who performed well in every role given to him.

And Jochen brought on-ice intangibles as much as any of those guys.

The reasons against Jochen are:
#1 Concussion history. Do we want to be party to a worse concussion happening to the man? Is his brain reliable at this point or is he just counting down to the next concussion?

#2 Age (plays into the above): Does he have much left in the tank at this point? Hard to evaluate since he didn't really play last year, so it's hard to project what he'd have left.

#3 Fit/need: Is he really needed at this point? Probably not 'needed' but if healthy and playing at a level near what he did 2 seasons ago he would CERTAINLY be a very useful player to this team.

I think it's a safe bet that if he were signed, Ruff wouldn't "misuse" him at the expense of anyone else who's a better fit or more deserving. People saying otherwise are revising history. The Hecht of 2 seasons ago would be great for our 3rd line.

I say no, for the reasons I listed above.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote