HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Should we re-sign Hecht?

Old
06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
mechaphil

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
I need to find the tweet, but a Finnish sports journo tweeted a remark that Adler Mannheim may pursue Hecht now that he'll be UFA

EDIT: Found it

"Adler Mannheim head coach Teal Fowler told eishockeynews.de it's possible for the team to sign ‪#Sabres‬ Mannheim-born Jochen Hecht for 12/13."

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I'm the biggest Hecht-fanboy on the board, I think.

And IMO, unless they simply want Hecht to be there to tutor someone like Grigorenko if he makes the team...

It's time to move on.
He's been a great player for this franchise, a quiet leader and showed up every night...
But his concussions are very worrying, not only for Hecht the player, but also for Hecht the human being.

I love the guy, and have massive respect for him, but yeah...
There's no guarantee his health will hold up at this point.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I'm the biggest Hecht-fanboy on the board, I think.

And IMO, unless they simply want Hecht to be there to tutor someone like Grigorenko if he makes the team...

It's time to move on.
He's been a great player for this franchise, a quiet leader and showed up every night...
But his concussions are very worrying, not only for Hecht the player, but also for Hecht the human being.

I love the guy, and have massive respect for him, but yeah...
There's no guarantee his health will hold up at this point.
Once Hecht's gone and you need a shoulder to cry on, just call me.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
I need to find the tweet, but a Finnish sports journo tweeted a remark that Adler Mannheim may pursue Hecht now that he'll be UFA

EDIT: Found it

"Adler Mannheim head coach Teal Fowler told eishockeynews.de it's possible for the team to sign ‪#Sabres‬ Mannheim-born Jochen Hecht for 12/13."
That's the same source I posted earlier in this thread.

I don't think that the Sabres want him back, the only way I see him remaining in the NHL is if he's getting an overpayed contract (as I already said, more than 1,000,000) from another franchise which is looking for some decent leadership/adjusting to the cap floor.(e.g. AVS)

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

You don't offer him a deal because he shoukdn't be playing any more but a contract offer might be too enticing to turn down.

It's irresponsible to put him on the ice.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:32 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
That's the same source I posted earlier in this thread.
Balls, totally missed it. Sorry!

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Metssabres

Hecht

Hecht was a prime example of Darcy falling in love with certain players. Hecht was always a complementary piece with Drury and Briere and somehow got a 4 year/14 million dollar deal while Drury and Briere were allowed to walk. I cringed at that offer then and wondered why a fringe second/third liner at best got that offer.

There is no way you bring him back at his age and with his health history. There is plenty of youth ready to step in.

Hecht was a solid player for many years (outside of missing the open net in overtime of game 5 at Carolina in 2006, which nobody ever mentions for some reason) but it's time to cut the cord.

Metssabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metssabres View Post
Hecht was a prime example of Darcy falling in love with certain players. Hecht was always a complementary piece with Drury and Briere and somehow got a 4 year/14 million dollar deal while Drury and Briere were allowed to walk. I cringed at that offer then and wondered why a fringe second/third liner at best got that offer.
Let's be fair - for starters, Ruff was obviously Hecht's biggest fan because of the reliable, two-way game he played and the ultimate flexibility Hecht provided him as a coach who could use him at any forward position in an emergency; kill penalties and play the power play; and do as well on the 1st line as he could on the 3rd line.

To call any top 9 forward a "fringe" player is a mistatement. Such a label suggests someone barely able to hold onto an NHL job or earn much ice time as a regular. Neither case was true for Hecht.

And, while the dollar value that Regier assigned to the extension of Hecht was excessive, giving him a 4-year extension made perfect sense at the time. The Sabres obviously were reeling with regret in the face of losing Briere & Drury - it's very likely that the Sabres acted in the fall of 2007 to extending Hecht in the same way as they did in matching the offer sheet to Vanek: they were afraid of losing another of their top 6 forwards after Briere/Drury left. Hecht finished 7th in team scoring the prior season and had been a fixture on the top 2 lines.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:45 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Let's be fair - for starters, Ruff was obviously Hecht's biggest fan because of the reliable, two-way game he played and the ultimate flexibility Hecht provided him as a coach who could use him at any forward position in an emergency; kill penalties and play the power play; and do as well on the 1st line as he could on the 3rd line.

To call any top 9 forward a "fringe" player is a mistatement. Such a label suggests someone barely able to hold onto an NHL job or earn much ice time as a regular. Neither case was true for Hecht.

And, while the contract value that Regier assigned to the extension of Hecht was excessive in terms of dollars and the Sabres' botching of letting Briere/Drury walk away was a colossal mistake, it's very likely that the Sabres reacted in the fall of 2007 to extending Hecht in the same way as they did in matching the offer sheet to Vanek: they were afraid of losing one of their top 6 forwards after Briere/Drury left.
This.

Golisano/Quinn didn't want them extending contracts midseason which led to the Briere/Drury fiasco. They then said "whoops" and panicked and told Regier "get everything done early!". Pommer and Hecht both got their extensions this way, and they tried with Campbell as well.

Regier was basically told to get it done.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:06 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

And, while the dollar value that Regier assigned to the extension of Hecht was excessive, giving him a 4-year extension made perfect sense at the time. The Sabres obviously were reeling with regret in the face of losing Briere & Drury - it's very likely that the Sabres acted in the fall of 2007 to extending Hecht in the same way as they did in matching the offer sheet to Vanek: they were afraid of losing another of their top 6 forwards after Briere/Drury left. Hecht finished 7th in team scoring the prior season and had been a fixture on the top 2 lines.
ik I cant word it better....so well put

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:53 AM
joshjull

For his own sake I hope he retires.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Reddawg

Love Jochen and I wish him well but he's this year's Mike Grier...a fan favorite that it's time to say goodbye and best wishes to.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Endless Ike

Happy Trails Jochen, no hard feelings

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:43 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

a league min 1 year 1 million and I'm down. When healthy he looked great. Health is obviously the biggest issue.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Just trying to get some thoughts on this from everyone. So, simple question. Should we re-sign Hecht or not? Do you think he still has a role on this team? Or does his injury history and age worry you? Let's assume the price is cheap if we did keep him. State your reasoning.

For me, I think he's best at LW. I personally don't think we have room for him anymore, so I'd let him walk. At the age of 35 and with his concussions, he's definitely a risk. Our wing depth is decent and I think he belongs more in the top 6 than anywhere else. I don't like him at center.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote