HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 04:05 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Good point. Though I think he remembers very well, and that is exactly what's playing into his decision making here.
Shogun was training for Rashad. A completely different style than Jones. He had no problem with it going with Jones.

I don't like his decision because of its hypocritical nature. The guy is quoted as saying, "I'll fight anyone" and "I fight to make money." The buy rate for a fight between him and Sonnen would have given him quite the paycheck. I'm sure White would've sweetened the pot for taking on a different opponent in such a short time as well. It's a pathetic move, imo. My stance on it won't change.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
The Jon Jones hate online and in this thread is pretty strong. It's somewhat expected but a lot of people are going overboard with it.

I can understand why Dana and Lorenzo are pissed. They have every right to be pissed. The guy they market the **** out of and pay a crazy amount of money to wouldn't take one for the team and just cost the company millions. No, it's not all Jones' fault as others (kurt) have already mentioned but he still could have saved the card by agreeing to the fight.

I can also understand why Jones turned it down though. He has a lot to lose by agreeing to this fight on short notice.

Like I said before, I'm not too excited about the Machida rematch but I'm happy that I'll still get to see Jones fight next month.

edit: Even Joe Rogan is getting screwed. Mandalay Bay cancelled his comedy show.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:13 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I do know that, yes. I think Couture was too. I know the rules allow it, but Sonnen was cheating when he was first using TRT (high levels and failure to disclose/receive permission for treatmens).

Regardless, I don't think there's any question that testosterone enhances performance. Hendo and Couture, given their age, I view it a little differently than Griffin/Rampage/Sonnen, but I think all of them are using performence enhancing drugs. I know there are people on both sides of this, and it's within the rules.

Does Franklin use TRT too? Or is that just Propecia?
Good catch on Couture... he was on it and might still be, even though he's retired.

Sonnen's camp did claim that they disclosed thru emails, face to face meetings, etc etc. When a hearing was done, it was found that he didn't disclose " thru the proper channels " so the suspension was reduced to 6 months. It was a procedural suspension ( and a bogus one ), which is far different from cheating.

I agree, most fighters nowadays are using some sort of performance enhancing drugs. It's the nature of the sport. " performance enhancing " is such a broad term anyway. Caffeine can be looked at as a performance enhancing drug.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:14 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 125
Now the entire UFC card is scrapped because Jones didn't accept a fight with a 185lb'er who is completely out of shape. WOW. Just wow.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Naming Machida as the next opponent for Jones hasn't put UFC's current problem to rest. As of 3:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, Machida had not been informed that he was being added to the Sept. 22 card. And Machida's manager Ed Soares told ESPN.com that he can not say for certain his fighter will accepted the bout on short notice.

"Lyoto doesn't even know about (the title shot) yet," Soares said. "He's on the road to his family's farm (in Brazil) and I haven't been able to reach him all morning. I spoke to his brother and (Lyoto is) on the highway and he has no cell phone reception.

"I'm excited about the title shot, but will be more excited when I have an answer from Lyoto. I have to speak to Lyoto first. It's a weird situation. I've never been in this situation before; just like the UFC has never been in this situation before. It's crazy.

"(The fight is) three weeks away, four weeks away. I still have to clear this with Lyoto."
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/82...nderson-injury

Imagine if Machida turns down the fight. Dana will kill someone.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:35 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
How many injury replacements truly deserve the fight? Jon Jones has cost the UFC millions of dollars by forcing them to cancel the event. There's absolutely no reason the supposed pound for pound greatest fighter is scared to fight a middleweight with no KO power.
Exactly.

The exact opposite of a team player.

I dislike him even more and I didnt think that was possible.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
MotorMaster

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/82...nderson-injury

Imagine if Machida turns down the fight. Dana will kill someone.
Greg Jackson said Jones would fight Chael Sonnen in September. So I guess Dana would put Jones/Sonnen if Machida said no.

Let's just hope Jones doesn't get injured himself before the fight.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I Am Beat You

Lately Jones and Rousey have been competing for the title of being my least favorite fighter. Strong push by Jones here.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:50 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Was reading tweets in class. What a joke. You have what was it, 16?, fighters who lost pay checks, hotels who lost money, an arena that lost revenue as well as their employees losing work, a city losing tourism revenue, and the company that signs your paycheck all losing out because Jones doesn't want to fight a guy a weight class below him who is coming off a loss? I already hated Jones and this makes me hate him more.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Ellenberger vs Hieron has been rescheduled for UFC on FX 5.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
08-23-2012, 05:03 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Chris Weidman offered to fight Jon Jones

http://www.newsday.com/sports/mixed-...-151-1.3923322

Old
08-23-2012, 05:04 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Chael Sonnen will be on SportsCenter at 5:20 ET coming up.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:13 PM
txomisc

I think Jones would run through Sonnen if Sonnen had a full training camp, let alone short notice so its odd to see him turn down a fight that he should be able to escape injury free. Maybe he isnt as confident as he lets on. I also get the impression he is already concerned with his legacy.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:20 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Was reading tweets in class. What a joke. You have what was it, 16?, fighters who lost pay checks, hotels who lost money, an arena that lost revenue as well as their employees losing work, a city losing tourism revenue, and the company that signs your paycheck all losing out because Jones doesn't want to fight a guy a weight class below him who is coming off a loss? I already hated Jones and this makes me hate him more.
And this is all Jon Jones fault? What about Dan Henderson, maybe he shouldn't have put himself in position to be hurt 10 days out from a fight? How about Josh Koscheck, who also pulled out of the co-main? Why not Dana White, for not figuring out the proper incentives to make Jones take the fight? Or Joe Silva for putting together such a brutal card that was only one fight deep with only one other legitimate main card fight? How come no other top 205lb guy was in shape to seize a huge opportunity? I know Frank Mir waited around last winter if Overeem couldn't fight.

The blame needs to be split between Jones, the UFC, and even to Henderson.

I bet half the people crying about this weren't even going to buy it anyway, the undercard sucked so they were just going to stream it for free anyway.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:26 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
And this is all Jon Jones fault? What about Dan Henderson, maybe he shouldn't have put himself in position to be hurt 10 days out from a fight? How about Josh Koscheck, who also pulled out of the co-main? Why not Dana White, for not figuring out the proper incentives to make Jones take the fight? Or Joe Silva for putting together such a brutal card that was only one fight deep with only one other legitimate main card fight? How come no other top 205lb guy was in shape to seize a huge opportunity? I know Frank Mir waited around last winter if Overeem couldn't fight.

I bet half the people crying about this weren't even going to buy it anyway, the undercard sucked so they were just going to stream it for free anyway.
You do know that Jones was told all the ramifications right? He was explicitly told by Dana that if he turned down Chael, the card would be cancelled. And how can you blame Hendo? Injuries are inevitable. I can't fathom how you can think its at all his fault. He had to do what he had to do to be ready to fight and unfortunately he got hurt. The UFC did everything they did to save this card. Yeah, it was a pretty weak undercard but at least you still have a card if Jones accepts the Sonnen fight.

EDIT: Also, Chael said he would give Jones his entire pay check just to save the card. He had been training for a fight whereas Chael hasn't done any training at all. I just don't get why the **** Jones would say no. Pure selfishness

Old
08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Will have the Sonnen interview up shortly.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
You do know that Jones was told all the ramifications right? He was explicitly told by Dana that if he turned down Chael, the card would be cancelled. And how can you blame Hendo? Injuries are inevitable. I can't fathom how you can think its at all his fault. He had to do what he had to do to be ready to fight and unfortunately he got hurt. The UFC did everything they did to save this card. Yeah, it was a pretty weak undercard but at least you still have a card if Jones accepts the Sonnen fight.

EDIT: Also, Chael said he would give Jones his entire pay check just to save the card. He had been training for a fight whereas Chael hasn't done any training at all. I just don't get why the **** Jones would say no. Pure selfishness
Even if Jones lost ( 1 in 1000 ), the instant rematch and money he would make would be insane

Old
08-23-2012, 05:47 PM
m9

Quote:

How can you not give Dana White and the UFC part of the blame? One fighter goes out and the whole card falls apart? How many other cards had a main event fighter get hurt, where is the contingency plan?

The Henderson injury needs a bit more information, but from what I read its not an injury from the last couple days, it is one that he knew about and was trying to fight anyway. If Henderson knew about this weeks out, then contingency plans should have been made. If this was an injury from the last couple days then there are still questions as to what kind of stuff he is doing in camp so close to a massive fight, but its less of an issue.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:52 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 133
Quote:
How can you not give Dana White and the UFC part of the blame? One fighter goes out and the whole card falls apart? How many other cards had a main event fighter get hurt, where is the contingency plan?

The Henderson injury needs a bit more information, but from what I read its not an injury from the last couple days, it is one that he knew about and was trying to fight anyway. If Henderson knew about this weeks out, then contingency plans should have been made. If this was an injury from the last couple days then there are still questions as to what kind of stuff he is doing in camp so close to a massive fight, but its less of an issue.
Jones had options.

The card wasnt scrapped because Hendo was injured. The card was scrapped because Jones wouldnt accept a viable last minute replacement.

Your need to deflect blame away from Jones is pretty transparent.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:

That's absurd, Hendo didn't choose to get hurt, the UFC didn't choose to have no fight. Jones on the other hand, made a conscious decision to turn down a fight with an out of shape 185er that he probably would win anyways, and as a result pissed off the fans, his boss, and his coworkers.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Jones had options.

The card wasnt scrapped because Hendo was injured. The card was scrapped because Jones wouldnt accept a viable last minute replacement.

Your need to deflect blame away from Jones is pretty transparent.
I'm not trying to deflect any blame, Jones deserves his share. He is totally in the wrong here. That doesn't mean other people also don't deserve blame as well.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:56 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatTornado View Post
That's absurd, Hendo didn't choose to get hurt, the UFC didn't choose to have no fight. Jones on the other hand, made a conscious decision to turn down a fight with an out of shape 185er that he probably would win anyways, and as a result pissed off the fans, his boss, and his coworkers.
Having the other parties blameless seems absurd to me. So be it.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Jasper

It sucks but as people point out, this card blew anyways. I wouldn't be paying money for it. I blame Jones for not taking the fight and to a lesser extent the UFC for putting on such a **** card nobody would watch without the main event. Not that I actually care that much.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:02 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:

I agree that as a fan I like what's happened today. However, when it comes to this card being cancelled and so many people getting screwed out of money because of that, the blames falls mainly on Jon Jones imo. He and he alone could've saved this card from being cancelled by accepting the fight with Sonnen. Some blame can go to Dana for not having a stronger card lined up but it still came down to Jones saying he wouldn't fight that actually cancelled the card.

I wish Jones had as much confidence in his fighting ability as I do as I'm sure he would've crushed Sonnen.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:05 PM
m9

Again, I still don't see anybody truly upset that this brutal card got cancelled. I see people who like to complain about Jon Jones. This is a win-win for Jon Jones haters - they get to rag on a guy, and plus they don't have to pay sixty bucks for this garbage card. The next PPV and FX cards are substantially better for it. I would be upset if I had to shell out 60 bucks or shell out hundreds at the gate to see Jon Jones, a fat Chael Sonnen, and a bunch of MFC level fights. This doesn't upset me.

Closed Thread