HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 10:30 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Never did I think I'd see someone make Sonnen look like the good guy. Jones just ****ed over every fighter on that card by not taking the fight. And this is after saying in the past that he'd never, ever turn down a fight. What a clown.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
And this is after saying in the past that he'd never, ever turn down a fight. What a clown.
Well he'd also never do something stupid like get a DUI either, so...

Old
08-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Never did I think I'd see someone make Sonnen look like the good guy. Jones just ****ed over every fighter on that card by not taking the fight. And this is after saying in the past that he'd never, ever turn down a fight. What a clown.
Don't blame Jones, blame the UFC.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:39 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Well he'd also never do something stupid like get a DUI either, so...
Yeah. Praising God through drunk driving. He's ****ing pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
No, I'm going to blame the guy who's ducking another fighter that is a MUCH easier fight than this one. The UFC absolutely gets some blame for having a **** card. A lot of blame, really. But Jones is an absolute coward.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:44 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

It's not Jones fault that the card is being completely canceled.
They could have kept the rest of the card as is and made it free.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Birko19

Quote:
No, I'm going to blame the guy who's ducking another fighter that is a MUCH easier fight than this one. The UFC absolutely gets some blame for having a **** card. A lot of blame, really. But Jones is an absolute coward.
Basically you're just endorsing another clown show. Imagine what the response would have been like if Sonnen had an injury against Silva, and the person to take the fight on a week notice would have been Koscheck. Where in the world is the logic in such moves?

Like I said, if Jones had ducked someone like Machida, Shogun, or anyone deserving in his weight class, I understand, but Sonnen? He's not deserving and there's no sense to this fight.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Jon Jones had NO reason to fight Chael Sonnen. But he is the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion. They are trying to build the company around him. He signed a contract to fight. Completed a training camp and did work to hype the fight. Henderson pulls out and Jones is offered a fight against a guy who isn't in a training camp and is coming off a loss in a smaller weight class. HE DID NOT DESERVE A TITLE FIGHT. No one is arguing that. But they were trying to save the show. Jon Jones turned down an easier fight and in the process ****ed over fans who have not yet embraced him like expected, but more importantly he ****ed over dozens of his peers. Sonnen didn't deserve a title fight and Jon Jones had zero obligation to fight him. But he really should have.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Jon Jones had NO reason to fight Chael Sonnen. But he is the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion. They are trying to build the company around him. He signed a contract to fight. Completed a training camp and did work to hype the fight. Henderson pulls out and Jones is offered a fight against a guy who isn't in a training camp and is coming off a loss in a smaller weight class. HE DID NOT DESERVE A TITLE FIGHT. No one is arguing that. But they were trying to save the show. Jon Jones turned down an easier fight and in the process ****ed over fans who have not yet embraced him like expected, but more importantly he ****ed over dozens of his peers. Sonnen didn't deserve a title fight and Jon Jones had zero obligation to fight him. But he really should have.
Anything can happen in this sport. Jones losing to Sonnen on a week notice is more damaging to the UFC long run. This is for the best long term.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:56 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

I have to say I agree with all of what Sonnen said in the interview. The UFC needs to do something to help the other fighters on the card.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Megahab

People saying Jones forced this event to be cancelled are ridiculous. It's not his fault that UFC doesn't have enough stars to put on a replacement match that people would pay for.

Jones has every right to decline the fight. Sonnen has done nothing to deserve a title shot except talk a lot of trash. Let's preserve some prestige with the LHW title before we start giving title shots to just about anyone.

How come Machida isn't getting much criticism for declining to fight at UFC 151? Does he have a more legit reason?

Old
08-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Anderson is ducking Weidman and Bisping, Jones is ducking Chael and Machida, Shogun is ducking Glover, etc.

Please make it stop. Ban that word from this site.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I have to say I agree with all of what Sonnen said in the interview. The UFC needs to do something to help the other fighters on the card.
They're getting rescheduled to upcoming cards. Fighters know that fights get scrapped due to injury, bad promoters, etc. Goes with the territory. Lots of people have jobs where contracts get pushed back.

Its unfortunate and would be good-will for the UFC to help out those who really need it, and who knows maybe they are doing just that behind-the-scenes. Lots of employers give out loans or advances to employees.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:20 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Just take away Jones's next paycheck. Should cover everyone.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:24 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Anderson is ducking Weidman and Bisping, Jones is ducking Chael and Machida, Shogun is ducking Glover, etc.

Please make it stop. Ban that word from this site.
**** that. Jones was the one who came out and said he'd never, ever duck a fight. Ever. He SAID that. Then he goes and does it like the loser he is. Sorry, but he deserves all the flack in the world for this.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Anything can happen in this sport. Jones losing to Sonnen on a week notice is more damaging to the UFC long run. This is for the best long term.
Hardly. If Sonnen had somehow managed to beat Jones that could've potentially set up an even bigger grudge match than Sonnen/Silva 2.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:34 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Jones had the opportunity to save the card and he chose not to, period. His reasoning is also beyond pathetic, and it further exposes him as the massive hypocrite everyone knows him to be.

Was it within his rights to turn the fight down? Of course. But given the circumstances this is nothing but an extremely selfish move that screwed everyone else on the card out of a payday, simply because he wants his fights to be "perfect" and "beautiful".

Never mind the fact that he has been training and is in fighting shape while his new opponent wouldn't even have time to step foot in the gym. Never mind the fact that this fight would have been a much bigger draw than the original bout, because after all, Jones is a businessman. Never mind the fact that he said he'd never turn down a fight, or that he'd fight Sonnen "in a heartbeat".

Old
08-23-2012, 11:38 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Hardly. If Sonnen had somehow managed to beat Jones that could've potentially set up an even bigger grudge match than Sonnen/Silva 2.
And in all reality, it'd sell really well as is. Probably better than Jones v. Hendo.

And Sonnen would get absolutely smashed by Jones. Easy payday.

Jones is just a loser. A true loser. He says he's praising God, then he goes and gets a DWI. He says he's never going to duck a fight, then he goes and ducks a fight. The fakest of the fake.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:39 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Sonnen would have slapped the sour-puss look off of Johnny-Girl's face and ripped that belt off his waist without much resistance. Jon Bones Jones is a selfish, timid, mental midget.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:40 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudas View Post
Jones had the opportunity to save the card and he chose not to, period. His reasoning is also beyond pathetic, and it further exposes him as the massive hypocrite everyone knows him to be.

Was it within his rights to turn the fight down? Of course. But given the circumstances this is nothing but an extremely selfish move that screwed everyone else on the card out of a payday, simply because he wants his fights to be "perfect" and "beautiful".

Never mind the fact that he has been training and is in fighting shape while his new opponent wouldn't even have time to step foot in the gym. Never mind the fact that this fight would have been a much bigger draw than the original bout, because after all, Jones is a businessman. Never mind the fact that he said he'd never turn down a fight, or that he'd fight Sonnen "in a heartbeat".
Amen. Jones has foot in mouth disease. It's chronic and has no cure.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:42 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

The tweets today from fighters and people in the sport are just hilarious.

Quote:
Ulysses Gomez ‏@uselessgomez

HUGE CONGRATS to @sonnench on being a 2 time UFC Champ! 185 and 205! Congrats brother!

Old
08-23-2012, 11:43 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Cezar Gracie:

Old
08-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
People saying Jones forced this event to be cancelled are ridiculous. It's not his fault that UFC doesn't have enough stars to put on a replacement match that people would pay for.

Jones has every right to decline the fight. Sonnen has done nothing to deserve a title shot except talk a lot of trash. Let's preserve some prestige with the LHW title before we start giving title shots to just about anyone.

How come Machida isn't getting much criticism for declining to fight at UFC 151? Does he have a more legit reason?
Yeah he was on a plane to Brazil to open a gym in his home town.

I wonder how JJ would have liked Pride GP's...I mean Josh Barnett fought prime Big Nog and prime Cro Cop in the same night!

Old
08-24-2012, 12:02 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Jones ducking Sonnen is disgusting. You can say Sonnen didn't deserve the title shot all you want, and if it's true then Jones should have made short work of him fairly easily. People would have had their fights and gotten paid, and the UFC puts on a crappy UFC151 PPV. So what? But by Jones ducking him, he's painted a picture of him being a coward of a champion, and a whole bunch of fighters will not get paid.

I hope Lyoto kicks Jones's face in on the 22nd.

08-24-2012, 12:02 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Yeah he was on a plane to Brazil to open a gym in his home town.

I wonder how JJ would have liked Pride GP's...I mean Josh Barnett fought prime Big Nog and prime Cro Cop in the same night!
Jon Jones is way too much of a baby to ever have been a part of MMA back in the day. He'd of done something else with his life.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Peter Griffin

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30352/jon-...eplacement.mma

"I take a lot of pride in the way I perform, and I want to put on the best performance possible every time I fight. I don't want to go out there just to win the fight. I want to go out there to dominate. I want to make it look effortless. I want it to be a beautiful thing."

"Chael is completely different fighter," Jones said. "This is war. This is strategy. You have to go in there prepared and know that you did your homework. I wouldn't be the same warrior if I just jumped in there blindly and was cutting weight while I was trying to prepare for the fight.

Oh shut the **** up.

Closed Thread