HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part 6

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-24-2012, 12:33 AM
  #376
Dgill
Registered User
 
Dgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 50
Machida turned down a title fight, again? Wow.

Dgill is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:42 AM
  #377
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,716
vCash: 500
http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/24...o-save-ufc-151

Anderson Silva offered to fight on the UFC 151 card, although it doesn't say if he offered to fight Jones and says he offered after the UFC had already decided to scrap the card. I don't know, kind of seems like an empty gesture. "Oh, you've already scrapped the card? Well I was going to volunteer to clown Forrest again..."

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:44 AM
  #378
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
So did he offer to fight Jones or a different LHW fighter? I'm a little confused.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:44 AM
  #379
Street Hawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Agreed completely. And I just read that article and it seems Dana feels the same way saying Machida will likely have to beat another top contender to get into consideration again. Machida just blew his opportunity at a title fight.
I have to say that I side with Jones here. He's in the same spot as guys like Silva and GSP, top of the heap. GSP for example, isn't just going to take any fight anymore. He said many times, he's fighting for his legacy now and only wants top notch fights. So, if Condit got hurt prior to their unification bout, GSP isn't likely to accept a fight with someone like Shields, Penn, or whomever you can insert that he has beaten, just 8 days prior to the event.

Once a guy enters into the top ranks and establishes himself there, he's only going to want to be in top level fights against the top tier opponents. They want to conserve their bodies against the best. Their bodies take a beating during training, as most fighters say that training is the tough part.

Jones shot up to the top very quickly. Not like some 25 year old fighters who have gone through 20 plus fights in their career.

I think White is shoving all of the blame onto Jones and not taking any for himself. Just goes to show that the remainder of the card was mediocre at best despite the UFC buying out Pride, merging WEC, and buying out Strikeforce, it still doesn't have enough top end talent to cover itself now that they are putting on about what 15 regular PPV fights a year, plus their FX shows and other TV shows as well.

Street Hawk is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:47 AM
  #380
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 60,824
vCash: 500
I'm a little lost on this Andy thing....

Gene Parmesan is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:47 AM
  #381
Birko19
Registered User
 
Birko19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/24...o-save-ufc-151

Anderson Silva offered to fight on the UFC 151 card, although it doesn't say if he offered to fight Jones and says he offered after the UFC had already decided to scrap the card.
If Silva want's to fight Jones, book it for Toronto. But I have a feeling that either it's a ******** story, or Silva's team is sure the fight won't happen on 8 day notice so they tried to kiss ass I suppose.

EDIT: Ariel just mentioned that he asked to fight another LHW, LOL, go figure.

Birko19 is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:49 AM
  #382
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
So did he offer to fight Jones or a different LHW fighter? I'm a little confused.
With the previous talk of Jones and Anderson not wanting to fight my guess is that Anderson was offeringto fight a 205'er other than Jones considering he wouldn't be able to cut to 185 in time but would cut to 205 and fight someone willing to step in(whoever that would be). If Anderson offered to fight Jones, he wouldn't have taken it anyway.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:50 AM
  #383
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I'm a little lost on this Andy thing....
Basically Anderson offered to step in and fight someone at 205 not named Jon Jones.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:51 AM
  #384
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 60,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
If Silva want's to fight Jones, book it for Toronto. But I have a feeling that either it's a ******** story, or Silva's team is sure the fight won't happen on 8 day notice so they tried to kiss ass I suppose.

EDIT: Ariel just mentioned that he asked to fight another LHW, LOL, go figure.
The only interesting LHW other than Jones for Silva is Machida and that won't happen. Shogun vs Silva?

Gene Parmesan is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:51 AM
  #385
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,289
vCash: 500
Looks like he just offered to fight another LHW fighter.

I don't know who they could have even thrown in there against Anderson at LHW. Would have been a fun fight though. I'm always down to watch the best fighter in the world.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:53 AM
  #386
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,553
vCash: 50
Good on Silva regardless. I doubt he even had an opponent figured out, its not really his job to pick.

m9 is online now  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:53 AM
  #387
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I don't know who they could have even thrown in there against Anderson at LHW. .
How about that Chael Sonnen character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9
Good on Silva regardless. I doubt he even had an opponent figured out, its not really his job to pick.
For sure, for as much flak Anderson gets, he stepped up by offering his services.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 12:56 AM
  #388
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Vitor is a guy who will come forward no matter what. He doesn't care. He won't fight like Rampage, Rashad, and Machida.

Unfortunately, the result will still be the same.
Where was that Vitor in the Anderson fight?

DeathFromAbove is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 01:01 AM
  #389
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Where was that Vitor in the Anderson fight?
He showed up with around 2:30 to go in the first round. Rushed in and landed a couple of shots after the initial feeling out process. Then he got KO'd.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 01:04 AM
  #390
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 60,824
vCash: 500
Crazy day in MMA. Apparently Rumble collapsed at a weigh in at 205...dude just needs to be a heavy.

Gene Parmesan is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 01:06 AM
  #391
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,716
vCash: 500
For anyone wondering why Vitor was offered the title shot against Jones for 152 and not Chael is because the UFC didn't think it was right for them to put on the same main event three weeks later after cancelling that same event at a long time partner in Mandalay Bay.

I'm going to call it now, the next event at Mandalay Bay is going to be STACKED. Most likely will be that year end card.

And about the only guy I can think of that could've fought Silva at 205 on 8 days notice that would make sense would've been Rashad.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 01:07 AM
  #392
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,289
vCash: 500
Other fighters are just killing Jones on twitter because they can't fight next weekend. Jeff Hougland (who?)......

Quote:
@JonnyBones Can I at least get one of your new Nike T-shirts? I'll give it to my kid since I won't have any money for her school clothes.
Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Crazy day in MMA. Apparently Rumble collapsed at a weigh in at 205...dude just needs to be a heavy.
Apparently he showed up to the weigh-in 45 minutes late and then couldn't walk anymore.


Avs_19 is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 01:08 AM
  #393
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 60,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
For anyone wondering why Vitor was offered the title shot against Jones for 152 and not Chael is because the UFC didn't think it was right for them to put on the same main event three weeks later after cancelling that same event at a long time partner in Mandalay Bay.

I'm going to call it now, the next event at Mandalay Bay is going to be STACKED. Most likely will be that year end card.
JDS/Cain
Machida/Hendo
Cowboy/Pettis
Seagal/Van Damme.

Do it Dana.

Gene Parmesan is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 01:09 AM
  #394
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 60,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Other fighters are just killing Jones on twitter because they can't fight next weekend. Jeff Hougland (who?)......



Damn.



Apparently he showed up to the weigh-in 45 minutes late and then couldn't walk anymore.

Is it true he cut from ****ing 279?! Jeez.

Gene Parmesan is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 01:11 AM
  #395
OG Kuch
Registered User
 
OG Kuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
I have to say that I side with Jones here. He's in the same spot as guys like Silva and GSP, top of the heap. GSP for example, isn't just going to take any fight anymore. He said many times, he's fighting for his legacy now and only wants top notch fights. So, if Condit got hurt prior to their unification bout, GSP isn't likely to accept a fight with someone like Shields, Penn, or whomever you can insert that he has beaten, just 8 days prior to the event.

Once a guy enters into the top ranks and establishes himself there, he's only going to want to be in top level fights against the top tier opponents. They want to conserve their bodies against the best. Their bodies take a beating during training, as most fighters say that training is the tough part.

Jones shot up to the top very quickly. Not like some 25 year old fighters who have gone through 20 plus fights in their career.

I think White is shoving all of the blame onto Jones and not taking any for himself. Just goes to show that the remainder of the card was mediocre at best despite the UFC buying out Pride, merging WEC, and buying out Strikeforce, it still doesn't have enough top end talent to cover itself now that they are putting on about what 15 regular PPV fights a year, plus their FX shows and other TV shows as well.
I guarantee you neither GSP nor Silva would have done what Jones did.




On another note, Anthony Johnson is going to get himself killed one day if he doesn't figure **** out.

OG Kuch is online now  
Old
08-24-2012, 01:20 AM
  #396
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
I have to say that I side with Jones here. He's in the same spot as guys like Silva and GSP, top of the heap. GSP for example, isn't just going to take any fight anymore. He said many times, he's fighting for his legacy now and only wants top notch fights. So, if Condit got hurt prior to their unification bout, GSP isn't likely to accept a fight with someone like Shields, Penn, or whomever you can insert that he has beaten, just 8 days prior to the event.
I disagree completely. I don't think either GSP or Anderson would turn down a late change of opponent if the alternative was scrapping the card entirely. Jones has let his real side show with this turn of events and he's nothing more than a selfish, spoiled kid. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and realize that everything in life doesn't go exactly as planned. If Jones was asked to take the fight on 8 days notice without and prior training camp I could understand his stance. But he wasn't. His reasoning for not taking the fight in that article I posted just goes to show his childish mindset.

Quote:
I think White is shoving all of the blame onto Jones and not taking any for himself. Just goes to show that the remainder of the card was mediocre at best despite the UFC buying out Pride, merging WEC, and buying out Strikeforce, it still doesn't have enough top end talent to cover itself now that they are putting on about what 15 regular PPV fights a year, plus their FX shows and other TV shows as well.
I agree that the UFC deserves a lot of blame in this as well and hopefully this is a big lesson learned for them that they can't simply rely on main event fights to carry cards. The last Jones event they were a similar situation away from having Rory MacDonald and Che Mills as the main event aka another scrapped card.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 01:32 AM
  #397
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,639
vCash: 500
Good on Anderson Silva for stepping up - that's interesting.

How serious is Hendo's knee injury? I would love to see Henderson/Machida as a #1 contender match if he's healthy soon enough... otherwise I'd just let him mend up for a title shot after Jones/Belfort (WAR Vitor, but let's be real... RIP Vitor).

kurt is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 02:29 AM
  #398
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,289
vCash: 500
Shogun also turned down the fight....

Quote:
Belfort was UFC's third option after former 205-pound champions Lyoto Machida and Mauricio Rua turned down a chance to face Jones with about four weeks remaining before the fight.

"Yes, Machida and 'Shogun' passed," Fertitta said. "Thank God for old-school real fighters."
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/82...elfort-ufc-152

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 02:45 AM
  #399
M.C.G. 31
Moderator
SHUT UP, TOM!!!
 
M.C.G. 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Greece
Posts: 67,245
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Other fighters are just killing Jones on twitter because they can't fight next weekend. Jeff Hougland (who?)......



Damn.



Apparently he showed up to the weigh-in 45 minutes late and then couldn't walk anymore.

Damn at that tweet. That's rough stuff.

Chael Sonnen continued trashing Jones on Facebook

Quote:
I am no longer permitted to speak ill of the former champion Jon Jones as we have come to an agreement. I will stop tearing him down verbally and in exchange he has relinquished his belt to me. I would like to read a prepared statement from the former Champion.

Mr Sonnen,

In every mans life a choice must eventually be made. Run or fight. I said I wouldn't duck any man as champion. But you are no ordinary man. You've spoken nothing but truth in your attempt to gain a title fight with me. My last act of cowardness is to hand over what you would have beaten out of me 8 days from today. The UFC LHW Title. Now I must refocus my life. Good luck Champ.

Signed,

Jon Bones Jones

P.S. I just ordered your best selling book, A Voice of Reason from amazon, I've been told by Greg Jackson that it will help me get through this tough time. Thanks
awesome

M.C.G. 31 is offline  
Old
08-24-2012, 04:34 AM
  #400
End of Line
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 21,262
vCash: 500
This has got to be the craziest day in MMA that I can remember.

End of Line is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.