HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Sonnen and Jones coaching TUF, and will fight next April.
I hate it when they put a champion on TUF and I hate the fact that Chael gets a title shot at LHW when he hasn't even fought in that weight class before. This is just stupid on so many levels.

I guess watching Chael and his antics on TUF should be entertaining. That's probably the only positive coming out of this.

As for the fight itself, Chael has nothing to offer. It'll be an easy win for Jones.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:11 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
^ So being good at twitter is all it takes to get a title shot?

Old
10-16-2012, 03:12 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

vCash: 500
Sonnen will destroy Jones verbally and mentally during the TUF show.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:16 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I guess some of the things I was reading last night had some merit. Dana White just said he does not plan to have Sonnen fight before April 27th.

It's a bit of a long layoff in-between fights for Chael. And I agree... he should at least fight 1 guy at 205 before getting a title shot. But the fans want to see it, it's a money making-score settling fight, and it'll draw fans to the TUF show which has been declining in ratings.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

It will be fun but as for the fight itself..Jones via hellbows.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:20 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
If Jones is really that good he should be taking a fight at HW till someone can really test him at LHW.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:20 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^ So being good at twitter is all it takes to get a title shot?
He doesn't deserve a title shot and I'm far from a big Sonnen fan, but to describe him as someone who is only good at Twitter is a bit much.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:08 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Sonnen's last fight at LHW was 7 years ago and a loss.
He has a losing record at LHW.
He lost his last fight which was at a lower weight class.
He is 2-2 in his last 4 fights.

I find Sonnen hilarious and am a fan but this is BS and I agree with Jones it delegitimizes the belt.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:15 PM
I Am Beat You

It's a business decision. TUF has been floundering so the UFC saw this an an opportunity to save the show. It's also a sellable fight with two huge draws, so I can't blame them one bit. It also creates time for guys to separate themselves at 205.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
At light heavyweight, the only thing Chael brings to the table is talk. That's the honest truth. It's definitely a business decision, and with Jones hurt, putting them on TUF isn't too bad although the fight will be a joke.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:18 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
If Jones is really that good he should be taking a fight at HW till someone can really test him at LHW.
There are still a couple fights at LHW I want to see. Like Gustafsson and Hendo.
But really for the most part I like seeing guys fighting at their own weight class.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:24 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Jaw. Dropped. So ****ing awesome. THIS will actually make me watch TUF. I would seriously pay to sit in a room and just listen to Chael speak

Chael via Ground and Destroy.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:45 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Jaw. Dropped. So ****ing awesome. THIS will actually make me watch TUF. I would seriously pay to sit in a room and just listen to Chael speak

I would be willing to bet a large sum of money against that.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:49 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post

I find Sonnen hilarious and am a fan but this is BS and I agree with Jones it delegitimizes the belt.
Sonnen is 5-2 in his last 7 fights, fighting top guys and losing only twice in that time to the best of all time. And we all know what happened in the first match... he did to Silva what nobody else ever did ( and probably never will again ).

Sonnen is as good a fighter as any right now. I do agree to an extent that you normally would like to see a top guy switching weight classes to get at least one match under his belt before a title shot, but this isn't a normal circumstance. Given the real animosity between the two guys, the failing TUF numbers, the fallout of 151 for Jones and his recent admission of changing his mind on fighting Sonnen ( from " NO " to " THE FANS WANT TO SEE IT " ) and it's easy to see why they made this happen. For Jones, he reclaims some of his lost honor and gives him a chance to shutup his critics and Sonnen.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post

yeah he will destroy JBJ's elbows with his face.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

No matter how much Sonnen sells , this is terrible matchmaking and hurt the UFC credibility imho. Davis should have gotten that fight , not Chael "i have 0 win at LHW and coming off a loss at MW" Sonnen. Now i like Chael but this is ridiculous.

Jones by whatever he wants

Old
10-16-2012, 05:09 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Sonnen is 5-2 in his last 7 fights, fighting top guys and losing only twice in that time to the best of all time. And we all know what happened in the first match... he did to Silva what nobody else ever did ( and probably never will again ).

Sonnen is as good a fighter as any right now. I do agree to an extent that you normally would like to see a top guy switching weight classes to get at least one match under his belt before a title shot, but this isn't a normal circumstance. Given the real animosity between the two guys, the failing TUF numbers, the fallout of 151 for Jones and his recent admission of changing his mind on fighting Sonnen ( from " NO " to " THE FANS WANT TO SEE IT " ) and it's easy to see why they made this happen. For Jones, he reclaims some of his lost honor and gives him a chance to shutup his critics and Sonnen.
At a lower weight class.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
No matter how much Sonnen sells , this is terrible matchmaking and hurt the UFC credibility imho. Davis should have gotten that fight , not Chael "i have 0 win at LHW and coming off a loss at MW" Sonnen. Now i like Chael but this is ridiculous.

Jones by whatever he wants
Phil Davis? That might be worse than giving Chael the title shot.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
It wouldn't be worse but he wouldn't have earned it either. The one plus of this fight is that it will allow the UFC to shake out the real challengers at 205 and see who really should be fighting for Jones belt instead of the mess we currently have.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:26 PM
m9

Davis needs another fight or two before he gets his title shot, but his only loss is to Rashad.

He also made a top contender at 185 (Boetsch) and 205 (Guastafsson) look like amateurs in there.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
It wouldn't be worse but he wouldn't have earned it either. The one plus of this fight is that it will allow the UFC to shake out the real challengers at 205 and see who really should be fighting for Jones belt instead of the mess we currently have.
If Gustafsson beats Shogun, I think he has a pretty good case for getting the title shot. The same could be said for the winner of the eventual Henderson/Machida fight. They could have just waited until January to see how things shake out and then had Jones fight the #1 contender in April/May.

I guess they wanted to get started on filming the next season of TUF so they had to make a quick decision but they didn't have to put Jones on TUF. If Gustafsson wins his fight, he'll have to wait for almost a year before he gets to fight Jones or will they make him fight again? Same goes for Henderson, Machida, and Shogun. Meanwhile two MWs are just handed title shots.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
At least Davis has wins over the likes of Boetsch , Lil Nog and Gustafsson at 205 and is coming of a win. That's not much but it's more than what Chael accomplished as of late.

That or they could just have scrapped one of Machida - Hendo or Shogun vs Gustafsson and give Hendo or Gus to Jones.

Chael just doesn't make any sense whatsoever other than from a business/ratings/buyrates perspective.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:46 PM
William H Bonney

Outside of his mouth, Chael has nothing to offer Jones. Bones will destroy him by any method he prefers.

10-16-2012, 06:46 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post

As much as I agree that Chael has no business getting a title shot at LHW (or any weight for that matter), he seems to be the only person who's interested in fighting Jones. Hendo doesn't seem to care that he's getting a different fight, Lyoto and Shogun both seem uninterested, Gustafsson and Tex both seem to want at least one more fight first... Chael is really the only guy who is pushing the issue.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:50 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
If Gustafsson beats Shogun, I think he has a pretty good case for getting the title shot. The same could be said for the winner of the eventual Henderson/Machida fight. They could have just waited until January to see how things shake out and then had Jones fight the #1 contender in April/May.

I guess they wanted to get started on filming the next season of TUF so they had to make a quick decision but they didn't have to put Jones on TUF. If Gustafsson wins his fight, he'll have to wait for almost a year before he gets to fight Jones or will they make him fight again? Same goes for Henderson, Machida, and Shogun. Meanwhile two MWs are just handed title shots.
I think this move just shows how concerned the UFC is with TUFs crap ratings, and regardless of Chael having no business getting the fight, people will tune in for the show, and their fight next year could possibly be the biggest PPV draw they've ever had for Jones.

Closed Thread