HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa Senators at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft (THW)

Old
06-15-2012, 09:31 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Ottawa Senators at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft (THW)

THW's Peter Harling's detailed breakdown at Sens options.

Excerpt:

Quote:
"Ottawa has been very successful at the draft in the past and have had several high draft picks while still finding high quality players in later rounds. This season’s surprise success has Sens fans excited for the immediate future. With a bevy of quality prospects already within the organization will the Sens hit another home run at the draft, or will they make a move and acquire a player who can contribute immediately?

In The System:

Center: Mika Zibanejad, Stephane Da Costa

Wing: Jakob Silfverberg, Mark Stone, Stefan Noesen, Matt Puempel, Shane Prince

Defense: Mark Borowiecki, Patrick Wiercioch

Goal: Robin Lehner

Quote:
Areas of Need:"
Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/ottawa-s...l-entry-draft/
Here's THW's 2012 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones main page:
your quintessential draft resource featuring:

Detailed unique prospect profiles in The Next Ones format (over 60 up now!)
Mock Drafts
Exclusive rankings
Fantasy based rankings
Team Previews
Looking ahead to the 2013 draft and beyond
http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl...the-next-ones/

Last edited by chrisralph007: 06-15-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: title
chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Kezia
egg

vCash: 50
tl;dr

Kezia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:10 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

I'll admit, I kind of tuned out after the article suggested that Bobby Butler was a valuable enough piece to move up in the draft from our current #15 spot.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:38 PM
DJB

vCash: 8579
Decent enough article but the suggestion of Da Costa and Butler holding any trade value at the draft is laughable.

Add to that Maata is a Finn and not a Swede.

I do really like the site though and frequent it often for player reports..

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:47 AM
carsonscave
Rookie User

I read the article and besides the obvious errors and misjudgments in the article it didn't feel as if it was written by a person who had current knowledge of the Sens organizations, the players and the prospects.

carsonscave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:41 AM
Ice-Tray

Did they really list Alfie second to Eric in terms of Swedish draft picks?

Small thing but I found it set a tone of not really knowing what's up in the O dubs.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I'll admit, I kind of tuned out after the article suggested that Bobby Butler was a valuable enough piece to move up in the draft from our current #15 spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Decent enough article but the suggestion of Da Costa and Butler holding any trade value at the draft is laughable.

I don't really understand why guys like Butler and Da Costa are already valued as crap around this board... (same for Puempel and to a lesser extent Petersson)

Da Costa was a very sought after UFA college prospect not even 15 months ago. He didn't set the NHL on fire to start his pro career but he showed promised with awesome on-ice vision and obvious skill. He also has very decent numbers for an AHL rookie. Personally, I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd round pick. Not sure we can get a prospect like that in the 2nd round. So his value in my eyes is still a late 1st or very high 2nd.

IMO (and it's only my opinion because I don't consider myself an expert), the Sens could theorically move up by 4-5 spots by trading Da Costa

Butler struggled in his sophomore season but how many NHL players don't? It seems to always happen for some reason. That being said, his stat line is still respectable (14 goals, 18 assists per 82 games) despite spending a lot of time on the 4th line with grinders. The guy has a very good shot and a knack for getting in scoring areas but struggled with that too last season. Oh and how many posts did he hit last year? He's not a high end young player by any means but 20-25 goals down the road is not out of the question for him. His value in my eyes is still a late 2nd or very high 3rd.

IMO (and it's only my opinion because I don't consider myself an expert), the Sens could theorically move up by 2-3 spots by trading Butler

So yes, Sens could move up (not to the top-5) a bit by trading them. Guys at Hockey Writers are not some random HFers, they have some credibility. That being said, it doesn't mean that there would be any takers to do that

Or let's just waive them like the Panthers would (Grabner)

Last edited by Xspyrit: 06-16-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:47 AM
mcnorth

Yeah, I can still see Butler in our top six for stretches next season. I think the thing with Butler's rough sophomore season is he was basically the only guy who didn't play significantly better under MacLean, and that made it look even worse. As far as finishers we have under contract, he's still up there. He needs to stop floating garbage at goalies from 40 ft and get his confidence back, but I think he's still a guy who might turn it around. If we can get a banger with some touch to let us move Michalek to Turris' line, I could easily slot Butler in on Spezza's wing rather than Greening.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:56 AM
WhiteLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I don't really understand why guys like Butler and Da Costa are already valued as crap around this board... (same for Puempel and to a lesser extent Petersson)

Da Costa was a very sought after UFA college prospect not even 15 months ago. He didn't set the NHL on fire to start his pro career but he showed promised with awesome on-ice vision and obvious skill. He also has very decent numbers for an AHL rookie. Personally, I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd round pick. Not sure we can get a prospect like that in the 2nd round. So his value in my eyes is still a late 1st or very high 2nd.

IMO (and it's only my opinion because I don't consider myself an expert), the Sens could theorically move up by 4-5 spots by trading Da Costa

Butler struggled in his sophomore season but how many NHL players don't? It seems to always happen for some reason. That being said, his stat line is still respectable (14 goals, 18 assists per 82 games) despite spending a lot of time on the 4th line with grinders. The guy has a very good shot and a knack for getting in scoring areas but struggled with that too last season. Oh and how many posts did he hit last year? He's not a high end young player by any means but 20-25 goals down the road is not out of the question for him. His value in my eyes is still a late 2nd or very high 3rd.

IMO (and it's only my opinion because I don't consider myself an expert), the Sens could theorically move up by 2-3 spots by trading Butler

So yes, Sens could move up (not to the top-5) a bit by trading them. Guys at Hockey Writers are not some random HFers, they have some credibility. That being said, it doesn't mean that there would be any takers to do that

Or let's just waive them like the Panthers would (Grabner)
Agreed about Da Costa, but Butler is pretty crappy. His stat line does not prorate to that. Butler has the potential to put up a 40 point season imo. But not from the bottom 6. And we all know about his shortcomings in other areas of the game.

Butler is type who not good enough offensively to immediately step into the top 6. He'll have to work his way up and start in the bottom 6. But But he's just too small and too one dimensional for that. And if you have just a 40 point player in the top 6, sort of like Greening I guess, you want him to be big, physical, good two-way...

WhiteLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:14 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

Thanks for the feedback lads - I had given the article a quick perusal only, admittedly. I'll gently nudge the author to edit appropriately.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:48 PM
DJB

vCash: 8579
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Thanks for the feedback lads - I had given the article a quick perusal only, admittedly. I'll gently nudge the author to edit appropriately.
Hey no, worries, I think a lot of us had some high hopes based on your own work throughout the rest of the site. I guess we expected the same!

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

This guy covers the senators?
ok, then i guess it's worth a read.

Last edited by Icelevel: 06-17-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:34 AM
pharling

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to read this post, and to provide you opinion. I am dreadfully embarrassed to have made such a gross mistake as listing Olli Maatta (Not Maata) as Swede when he is a Fin. I hope such a grievous mistake does not tarnish my credibility too much.
I also appreciate the feedback on the opinions of the value of players such as Butler and Da Costa and if they would be worth enough with the 15th overall pick for Ottawa to move up three or four spots in the draft. I am glad I was able to stimulate some debate.
Again, thanks for reading and sorry about the Maatta error.

pharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:33 AM
SenateReform

I do think Butler and Da Costa hold decent value to the Sens org right now, but agree with most that the trade value is pretty low.

Put yourselves in the shoes of another team. Would you move down 2-4 spots if the return was bobby butler? I wouldn't, although it obviously depends on who's available.

SenateReform is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:39 AM
carsonscave
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharling View Post
I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to read this post, and to provide you opinion. I am dreadfully embarrassed to have made such a gross mistake as listing Olli Maatta (Not Maata) as Swede when he is a Fin. I hope such a grievous mistake does not tarnish my credibility too much.
I also appreciate the feedback on the opinions of the value of players such as Butler and Da Costa and if they would be worth enough with the 15th overall pick for Ottawa to move up three or four spots in the draft. I am glad I was able to stimulate some debate.
Again, thanks for reading and sorry about the Maatta error.
Only human man. Keep it up!

carsonscave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:40 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonscave View Post
Only human man. Keep it up!
Thanks lads for showing Peter some compassion. I think he simply rushed himself on this article. He has a great mind for fantasy hockey & does some great work at Fantasy Hockey Coach.

Also appreciate the compliments on our prospect profiles for our NHL Draft Guide.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Thanks lads for showing Peter some compassion. I think he simply rushed himself on this article. He has a great mind for fantasy hockey & does some great work at Fantasy Hockey Coach.

Also appreciate the compliments on our prospect profiles for our NHL Draft Guide.
yeah it's no big deal really. one article and a couple miscalculations. any article on the sens is still of interest to me and that includes his/your next one.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:08 PM
dan1el

I think we should package our first with something in an effort to get Gormley from
Phoenix.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
I think we should package our first with something in an effort to get Gormley from
Phoenix.
Phoenix really likes him. Was rejecting the basis of him+Boedker for #1 OVR on T.R+FA thread. Like Zibijenad or Silferberg is what they'd ask probably.

*And I come in peace*

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote