HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should defensemen go on the attack more?

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2004, 02:52 AM
KOVALEV10*

vCash: 500
Should defensemen go on the attack more?

Hey.. this past few weeks I have been watching classic games from the late 1970-s to end 80-s such as the MTL teams, Oiler teams, Islander teams, Flames teams even Penguin's teams and in all of their games they have defensemen who really go on the attack a lot lot more then defensemen do now. Back in those days, defenders took chances unlike now but most times it worked unlike nowadays where almost all the goals come from forwards in important playoff games. What happened to defenders playing like a Bobby Orr or a Guy Lapointe or a Serge Savard or a Larry Rabinson...even more a Paul Coffee.. Denis Potvin... Raymond Bourque... hell even Al Macinnis! And I've noticed that the fact that those defensemen and a lot lot more then just these few that went on the attack often really helped their teammates. Think about it the big tree really helped the MTL team of the late 70-s... Denis Potvin really helped the Islander's attack in the early 80-s.. Paul Coffee really helped the great one and its almighty Oilers as well as Mario and the pens years later... Al MacInnis really helped Calgary.. etc etc.

Now do you think defensemen should be like the old days and go on the offense a lot more or should they continue playing conservatively and a safer style of play?

Old
12-29-2004, 03:01 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

I think it depends on the team. The Canuck defenders always join the rush. That is one of the main ways we generate our goals.

Old
12-29-2004, 03:32 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
I think it depends on the team. The Canuck defenders always join the rush. That is one of the main ways we generate our goals.
I agree. In practice it depends on the team -- the type of defensemen they have, the coaches, the system, etc.

In theory, most of us would probably like defensemen to join the rush more, to make the game more exciting. From that standpoint the answer would probably be yes, IMO.

Old
12-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
If they want to skate into a neutral zone clogged up with 6 robots taking up space, I say have at it. Unfortunately the grace of a Paul Coffey would be limited in today's age of behemoths taking up space and causing obstruction between the blue lines.

Old
12-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Higgy4

I think all skaters should have the mindset to always be on "the attack". For years the object was to score more goals than your opponent. These days it has changed to give up fewer goals than your opponent.

So, yes...I think defensmen should jump into the attack ALOT more.

Old
12-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Russian_fanatic

Canucks d-men always join in the attack.

Old
12-29-2004, 04:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Back when I was a kid, and an adult....well, up until the Devils trap became religeon....

a defenseman stayed back and a defenseman went up. A foreward would help and backcheck and guys had roleS.

Now every player has the X and O mentality, playing the systematic bludgeoning of the game.

MacInnis and Potvin and Coffey and others could play fourth foreward and play defense as well. Now every defenseman has the same instructions from the 20+ inept and uncreative coaches who sold the game out for trap success.

So yes, I think it is a great idea to let a defenseman's talent be used to the limit, but not if we can't get nap time during trapfest.

I need my z's.

Old
12-29-2004, 05:34 PM
BLONG7

The D should help out more on the attack...it definitely helps a team create more offence. The coaches just don't allow it anymore, they are too busy preaching D first, therefore we get more boring, and cautious played games. If they were to give the coaches five year contracts, then you would see them let the reigns loose on the offensive D men and we would see more scoring, and more 2 on 1's going back the other way...Coaches are the one's who have to coach a boring style of play, because they can be fired at the first site of a losing streak, but if they were given a vote of confidence by the GM and owner with a longer contract, you would see better hockey!!!

Closed Thread