HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver - Columbus

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 06:04 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Vancouver - Columbus

Because this would have fit in multiple threads, I figured I could leave it in its own.

Vancouver trades:
Roberto Luongo
Zack Kassian
2012 2nd

Columbus trades:
Rick Nash

Here's my rationale. Columbus wants a goalie, and I know that Luongo is on the wrong side of 30, but he's a solid goalie for the next few years and provides immediate legitimacy. Kassian is a big winger who could eventually be a Nash-like player in his own right.

Nash immediately shakes up the Canucks, fresh off the 1st round exit, and provides scoring from the wing, and most importantly, gets rid of Luongo.

Thoughts?

Old
06-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Value wise it's not that bad. But when you actually look at team needs I don't see the Jackets doing it, a player like Luongo isn't needed for a rebuilding system, he won't be good when the teams good, a more viable option for the Jackets would be a someone like Cory Schneider or Jonathan Bernier, who will reach there "primes" When the Jackets are a competitive team. Add in the fact Luongo won't waive to go play in Columbus makes this trade even less likely.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Skead

Agreed, value wise it makes sense. I would personally do it, if the jackets would.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
Value wise it's not that bad. But when you actually look at team needs I don't see the Jackets doing it, a player like Luongo isn't needed for a rebuilding system, he won't be good when the teams good, a more viable option for the Jackets would be a someone like Cory Schneider or Jonathan Bernier, who will reach there "primes" When the Jackets are a competitive team. Add in the fact Luongo won't waive to go play in Columbus makes this trade even less likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Agreed, value wise it makes sense. I would personally do it, if the jackets would.
To the both of you, if Columbus wanted Vancouver to add Jordan Schroeder as well, would that be a deal breaker?

Old
06-18-2012, 06:17 PM
AmazingNuck

A forward core of Nash-Sedin-Sedin-Kesler would be awesome. Losing Kassian hurts, but Nash definitely makes up for his loss. :OOOO

Yes! A million times yes!

Too bad Luongo would never waive his NTC to go to Columbus.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:18 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain9nyr View Post
To the both of you, if Columbus wanted Vancouver to add Jordan Schroeder as well, would that be a deal breaker?
If your looking for pieces,

Luongo, Schroeder, Raymond, Canucks 1st for Nash.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:20 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
If your looking for pieces,

Luongo, Schroeder, Raymond, Canucks 1st for Nash.
My gut would tell me that Howson would be very keen on Kassian as that big Nash-type winger eventually. Not sure if taking Kassian out would get it done. After originally proposing the deal, I recalled Schroeder was a late 1st a few years back.

Does adding Schroeder to Luongo, Kassian and the 2nd kill the deal?

Old
06-18-2012, 06:23 PM
KISSland

Quote:
My gut would tell me that Howson would be very keen on Kassian as that big Nash-type winger eventually. Not sure if taking Kassian out would get it done. After originally proposing the deal, I recalled Schroeder was a late 1st a few years back.

To me it does.

I would think very hard as we gave up a lot for Kassian..

I would rather move Tanev than Kassian even though Tanev has shown much more in terms of on ice play so far in his career..

What about a deal of Luongo, Tanev, Schroeder, 1st instead of a 2nd for Nash?

Old
06-18-2012, 06:29 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:

IMO, he has a bit more value than a 1st round pick right now. If you wanted him added, the Canucks would probably need a 2nd back from Columbus. But we would probably rather keep Schroeder.

Best we can do is add a 3rd.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:31 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
To me it does.

I would think very hard as we gave up a lot for Kassian..

I would rather move Tanev than Kassian even though Tanev has shown much more in terms of on ice play so far in his career..

What about a deal of Luongo, Tanev, Schroeder, 1st instead of a 2nd for Nash?
This deal I would do. The Kassian with Shroeder deal, no.

The two prospects deal leaves Vancouver very thin on any skilled prospects and makes our pool laughably bad. Very Shark like.

If the Jackets were looking for a load up deal for Nash, how is Raymond Schneider Rodin 1st for Nash and a middle of the pack prospect with bottom 6 upside?

Old
06-18-2012, 06:38 PM
The Pucks

Quote:

Kassian's value is higher to Mike Gillis than any other team, he made his bed with that deal, I cant see him moving Zach now, allot invested in him.

Id give you Luongo for nothing if it meant not having to deal with Toronto or Edmonton.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:39 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
This deal I would do. The Kassian with Shroeder deal, no.

The two prospects deal leaves Vancouver very thin on any skilled prospects and makes our pool laughably bad. Very Shark like.

If the Jackets were looking for a load up deal for Nash, how is Raymond Schneider Rodin 1st for Nash and a middle of the pack prospect with bottom 6 upside?
You might want to take a few minutes and review the salary cap before making that offer.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:56 PM
DesertDawg

take out Schroeder and put Jensen, Luongo, Kassian, and the 1st
can't see Luongo waiving his NMC, unless if it is fairer...

Old
06-18-2012, 06:59 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
You might want to take a few minutes and review the salary cap before making that offer.
I'm fully aware of the salary cap, but since this is still summer, we can exceed the cap up to 10 percent.
My plan would be to exhaust all efforts at dumping Ballard for a middle round pick and no salary coming back.
Ballard 4.2 Raymond 2.2 Schneiders .800 is about 6.4 million or so.

A sacrifice that may have to be made though is not re-signing Salo.

My deal is also slightly based on the NHL agreeing on another 1 year extension in the CBA making the cap ceiling 70.4 million.

Just because my deal doesn't involve huge cap hits doesn't mean it can't be done.
To be honest, my thoughts were that a deal with the Jackets wouldnt get done if there was a salary dump attached.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
I'm fully aware of the salary cap, but since this is still summer, we can exceed the cap up to 10 percent.
My plan would be to exhaust all efforts at dumping Ballard for a middle round pick and no salary coming back.
Ballard 4.2 Raymond 2.2 Schneiders .800 is about 6.4 million or so.

A sacrifice that may have to be made though is not re-signing Salo.

My deal is also slightly based on the NHL agreeing on another 1 year extension in the CBA making the cap ceiling 70.4 million.

Just because my deal doesn't involve huge cap hits doesn't mean it can't be done.
To be honest, my thoughts were that a deal with the Jackets wouldnt get done if there was a salary dump attached.
Ballards spot on the roster still has to be filled as would Schneiders, there is more salary taken on. Removing Ballard and Salo leaves some pretty big holes to fill on the defence, that would be costly.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

If I were the Columbus GM, I would insist on Schneider instead of Luongo.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
If it ended the drama for both the Luongo and Nash threads in one shot, I'd drive Cory to the airport myself and maybe even donate some of my friends girl friends to occupy him for the ride.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:34 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
No thanks to moving Kassian.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll bet anyone $50 that Nash is the type of player that Gillis will stay away from.

Nash has the 5th highest cap hit in the league, and he's nowhere near the top-25 forwards in the NHL. A forwards peak years are typically his mid 20s (23-26 or so), and Nash is 27 and signed for another 6 years. He's hit over 70 points once in his career (the year he got lucky with a shooting percentage 2.5% higher than his career average) and this year, he had 38 points at even strength.

Here are the players in the NHL who recorded 38 points at even strength this season (keeping in mind that all of them did it in FAR less ice time):

Teemu Selanne (age 40)
Gabriel Landeskrog (rookie)
Andrew Ladd
Jordan Staal (62 games)
Jakub Voracek
Vincent Lecavalier (64 games)
Ryan Smyth (age 37)
Marcus Johansson (2nd season)
Petr Sykora (did not play in NHL last year)

Nash has incredibly soft mittens and has consistently put up 30g seasons, but that's about all he has... he's nowhere NEAR worth his cap hit, and there's a good reason that Howson will never get what he's asking for (1 prospect, 1 blue-chip prospect, 2 roster players).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
That's pretty much the equivalent of a trade proposal for acquiring Voynov and saying "If I'm Columbus, I insist on Doughty instead of Voynov". Voynov would never be moved for Nash, and Doughty sure as hell won't be moved for him.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:06 PM
FANonymous

Because points at even strength are the only points that count right? Clearly Nash would never be used in a powerplay or penalty kill situation.

Why do people try to cherry pick their stats to constantly crap on Nash?

Old
06-18-2012, 08:07 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Luongo and Nash has been discussed together in the threads for those respected players. Enough is enough.

Closed Thread