HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A few questions about Center City Philadelphia...

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2004, 05:15 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
A few questions about Center City Philadelphia...

If anyone can answer or at least help lead me to the answer of any of the following questions, I'd really appreciate it. I'm taking a lady friend into the city later this week to have a "sophisticated day on the town".

---------------------------------------------------------

1.) What times is the Ritz at the Bourse open, and what are the costs to see a film? (And if there are student discounts, then take that into account.)

Also, has anyone been to the theater recently and has a recommendation of what to see? I was told Motorcycle Diaries was a good film, but that was only from one friend of mine.

2.) What is the cost to get into the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and does that include entrance into all exhibits of the museum? Also, any recommendations on what exhibits to focus on for two people only curious about art but not very knowledgeable about it would be great.

Also, what Septa train stop is closest to the Museum?

3.) This is probably the most important one....I need to find a fairly nice place to eat for lunch in Center City.

So here are the criteria for what would work best:
-Lunch is a maximum of $30 per person, preferably a little closer to $20.
-No extremely ethnic food
-The place has an average to above average atmosphere. Not looking for a 5 star restaurant, but something that just seems nice.

So throw any suggestions out there and I'll consider it.

Thanks a ton in advance to anyone who is able to help me out.

Last edited by ObeySteve: 12-26-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old
12-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Dave_

1) Ritz at the Bourse is usually open around noon, and the last show is some time in the 9 to 10pm range. I think right now they are showing Kinsey, Finding Neverland, and Sideways...of those three, I would recommend Sideways. Student price is the same as the price of a show before 5pm....$5.50.

2) I haven't been to the museum in a while, but I don't remember admission being much more than 5 or 6 bucks (bear in mind, that was a while ago, though). The big feature exhibits (such as the one going on now about Salvador Dali) cost extra, and those can be somewhat expensive. My particular favorite part of the museum is the modern and pop art wing.

And the closest train station is Suburban Station at 16th and JFK. Once you get out of the station, walk towards the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, and the museum is at the end of the parkway.

3.) If you're coming out of the Art Museum for lunch, you might want to head up to Fairmount Ave. (a little bit north of the Art Museum...get on any of the numbered streets and walk north....the Art Museum faces east-west)...because they're are a bunch of good restaurants for lunch. My personal favorite is Tavern on Green, at 21st and Green Sts. Good food, great staff, nice atmosphere. If you want to try staying closer to a train station, you could try Monk's at 16th and Spruce (that's south of Suburban Train Station). Great food, great beer selection too if you're able to embibe.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you enjoy your time. Hope this helps you out.

Old
12-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Dave_

Another thing I should mention....the Ritz theaters (all three of them) are a pretty big distance from the Art Museum (the theaters are on the east side of town, while the Art Museum is closer to City Hall). Were you planning on taking a cab? And you can check times for movies at ritzfilmbill.com

Old
12-28-2004, 04:57 PM
paxtang

I could of sworn the last time I was at the museum that it was donation only on the weekend (don't remember if it was Sat or Sun), so you can give whatever you want. Don't know weekdays.

Old
12-28-2004, 05:01 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Thanks for the help Dave, I really appreciate it.

I looked at the films showing at the Ritz, and Sideways seems to be the one that would appeal to both of us. I was told to see Motorcycle Diaries a few days ago, but apparently it isn't showing anymore.

Old
12-28-2004, 05:59 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
If anyone can answer or at least help lead me to the answer of any of the following questions, I'd really appreciate it. I'm taking a lady friend into the city later this week to have a "sophisticated day on the town".

1.) What times is the Ritz at the Bourse open, and what are the costs to see a film? (And if there are student discounts, then take that into account.)

Also, has anyone been to the theater recently and has a recommendation of what to see? I was told Motorcycle Diaries was a good film, but that was only from one friend of mine.

2.) What is the cost to get into the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and does that include entrance into all exhibits of the museum? Also, any recommendations on what exhibits to focus on for two people only curious about art but not very knowledgeable about it would be great.

Also, what Septa train stop is closest to the Museum?

3.) This is probably the most important one....I need to find a fairly nice place to eat for lunch in Center City.

So here are the criteria for what would work best:
-Lunch is a maximum of $30 per person, preferably a little closer to $20.
-No extremely ethnic food
-The place has an average to above average atmosphere. Not looking for a 5 star restaurant, but something that just seems nice.

So throw any suggestions out there and I'll consider it.

Thanks a ton in advance to anyone who is able to help me out.

Did you check out www.GoPhila.com?

Closed Thread