HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best NHL journalists?

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Human Blender

vCash: 500
Best NHL journalists?

Hello everyone,
Season's greetings from NHL.com.pl fans from Poland!

I am looking for a couple of names of best NHL journalists (press and web, I guess) - I've done my research and came up with a number of names from TOR and OTT area (including Garrioch, Zeisberger, Hornby). I need some more guys (and gals) that you find competent and well-informed - would be pleased if you could share. Canada and US only for starters.

BTW, would you know their e-mail addresses so that I could at least try contacting them.

Thanks a lot for all and any help.

CEO later
--Nieszpory

Old
12-29-2004, 10:41 AM
nrf83

In NYC the NHL columnists are: Larry Brooks, NY Post; Sherry Ross, NY Daily News; Jason Diamos, NY Times; and last, but not least is "the Maven" Stan Fischler at Madison Square Garden, home of NYR. There are other very competent writers on the NHL within a 25 mile radius that covers NYR, NY Islanders and NJ Devils, but that should get you started.

Old
12-29-2004, 11:13 AM
YellHockey*

Covering the NHL lockout, Larry Brooks is by far the most competent and well-informed hockey writer. He's far more informed then the majority of hockey fans.

A general rule of thumb is that if a hockey writer is associated with slam.ca, he's no better informed then the average fan, and in most cases less so.

There isn't a competent hockey writer in Ottawa, unless you count Ian Mendes of sportsnet.ca.

Old
12-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I think Rick Sadowski is good. He covers the Avs for the Denver Post, but he used to cover the Kings for the Daily News. He's always got good stuff to read.

Old
12-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Steve L*

Anyone apart from the 3 stooges AKA Larry Brookes, Al Stachan and Garrioch.

Old
12-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

I really like Kevin Allen of usatoday.com.

Old
12-29-2004, 02:17 PM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
Covering the NHL lockout, Larry Brooks is by far the most competent and well-informed hockey writer. He's far more informed then the majority of hockey fans.
That's like saying Bob Novak is the most well-informed columnist in America.

Just because you can re-type talking points and then infer incorrectly from them doesn't make you competent.

<JESTER>

Old
12-29-2004, 02:25 PM
zanysportslady

me

Me darnit, me!!!!!!!!!! har har

Old
12-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
I think Rick Sadowski is good. He covers the Avs for the Denver Post, but he used to cover the Kings for the Daily News. He's always got good stuff to read.
Actualy He's at the Rocky Mountain News.

Terry Frei of the Denver Post and ESPn.com is pretty good.

Brooks is an idiot.

Old
12-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Pepper

Quote:
LArry Brooks is the biggest idiot around, he has never gotten anything right and nowadays he's nothing but a cheap propaganda machine for the NHLPA. Avoid his stories at all costs.

Good journos: Panaccio from Philly, KPD from Boston, Hickey & Fisher from Montreal, Simmons form Toronto (well, compared to the other bozos there), Matheson, Ireland & Jones from Edmonton.

"journalists" who should not be taken seriously: Brooks from NY, Strachan, Cox, Ulmer from Toronto, Garrioch from Ottawa, Francis from Calgary, Gallagher from Vancouver.

Old
12-29-2004, 03:26 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
I really like Kevin Allen of usatoday.com.
i also like allen a great deal- very informative, and knowledgable.

two other guys of interest are:
russ conway of the eagle tribune- great writer and great guy.
kevin p dupont of the boston globe- dupes is a very eloquent writer and knows his stuff (and happens to be a card carrying member of the HF family )
just don't bring up joe thornton

Old
12-29-2004, 03:27 PM
looooob

Eric Duhatshek of theglobeandmail.com is very good. having read much of his lockout related stuff, but during the season he is usually good

Old
12-29-2004, 03:39 PM
YellHockey*

The best hockey journalist of the past twenty five years is unquestionably Russ Conway. He might also be one of the few hockey writers who can actually be called a journalist.

Old
12-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
"journalists" who should not be taken seriously: Brooks from NY, Strachan, Cox, Ulmer from Toronto, Garrioch from Ottawa, Francis from Calgary, Gallagher from Vancouver.
May I also add...Jack Todd from Montreal. The things I'd like to call that man are unprintable for the most part.

It's so hard to think of good ones, much easier to think of the idiots. Guess I should pay more attention to the author's name the next time I read a good article.

Old
12-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Dejan Kovacevic

He really was a fantastic writer(well...he still is), and he covered the Penguins extremely well and had a genuine love for the sport...but, as of January 1st, he covers the Pirates...

Kovacevic is the whole reason why I want to be a journalist.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-29-2004, 04:02 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Dejan Kovacevic

He really was a fantastic writer(well...he still is), and he covered the Penguins extremely well and had a genuine love for the sport...but, as of January 1st, he covers the Pirates...

you need to build a shrine dedicated to dejan, or perhaps name your first born "kovacevic handsome b. wonderful"

on a much more important note, any idea who the new penguins beat writer will be?

Old
12-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Tretiak

Does anyone have Bob Duff's e-mail address?

Old
12-30-2004, 08:05 AM
arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Dejan Kovacevic

Dejan Kovacevic is one of the worst writers around. both in hockey knowledge and writing ability. He's a shameless homer, so much so that he got suspended for whining about another writer on his paper being against a new arena.

The best hockey reporter by miles is Bob McKenzie. The next best is Jim Kelly.

Old
12-30-2004, 10:27 AM
hossy316

Send a message via MSN to hossy316
Quote:

A general rule of thumb is that if a hockey writer is associated with slam.ca, he's no better informed then the average fan, and in most cases less so.

There isn't a competent hockey writer in Ottawa, unless you count Ian Mendes of sportsnet.ca.
He said best ones, not the worst.

Old
12-30-2004, 10:28 AM
hossy316

Send a message via MSN to hossy316
Bob MacKenzie is pretty well informed. He would get my vote. Also a fellow HF poster.

Old
12-31-2004, 04:42 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Mckenzie was better in the Toronto Star. TV limits him.

Old
12-31-2004, 04:50 AM
Sparepart

I enjoy Michael Farber (Current Sport Illustrated, formerly of the Montreal Gazette)

Old
12-31-2004, 05:15 AM
Damicles

Jim Matheson and Mark Spector of the National Post is pretty good. Mark's a pretty funny guy if you listen to him on Team 1260 in Edmonton. You can even catch Guy Fleming (from this site) almost once or twice a week on Mark's show.

Old
12-31-2004, 04:10 PM
nckd

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
on a much more important note, any idea who the new penguins beat writer will be?
The main Pens writer for the Post-Gazette will continue to be Dave Molinari, who's not bad. Though I think I prefer Kovacevic to him. I doubt they'll bring a second writer on until the strike is over.

My main pick would be McKenzie, though he doesn't seem to do much print journalism anymore. Terry Frei is pretty good,too. I don't care for Larry Brooks, but I can't say I'm impressed by much sports journalism anyway.

Old
12-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Kaizer

Eric Duhatshek from Globe and Mail. Every story is the same good but has it's own different world. He has his own opinion and it's very consistent and unbiased. It seems that he hasn't very big ego and try to analyze things with you without "I told so and let it be" BS. Very good journalist. He is my favorite.

Closed Thread