HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs to make a push for a Suter or a Parise

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Sherman will become a legend if he lands one of them, god if he gets both.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:20 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

vCash: 500
Stastny ,EJ, Suter,Parise team usa reunited (dream)

Old
06-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
like you guys said , both players would be amazing , but let say we can land only one of them who would you prefer ? who would fill our need the most ? Gaming and Bubba seems to think that It's Suter. I mean Suter and EJ would be a legit top Dpair for sure. But i do beleive that we need more offence up front too , so what do you guys would pick if we had to get just one ?
With all due respect to Parise, Suter easily. He's a rock defensively and a great puck mover who would take EJ on another level.

On another note, in case we sign Suter would you guys make a move for Weber?

Old
06-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
On another note, in case we sign Suter would you guys make a move for Weber?
Nope, I'd wait until free agency and make a play then. The cost to acquire him would outweigh the benefit to our club after signing Suter.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Nope, I'd wait until free agency and make a play then. The cost to acquire him would outweigh the benefit to our club after signing Suter.
By make a move I meant would you go after him at all knowing that we have EJ already. I should've explaind it better.

Here's the poll thread about Suter or Parise from awhile back:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...t=suter+parise

Suter won handily.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:35 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

How much is our RFA worth ?

Old
06-16-2012, 04:38 PM
niwotsblessing

Two seasons ago Sherman shocked us and the hockey world by trading for EJ. Last July he shocked us and the hockey world by trading for Varly. At the last trade deadline he made a bold move and traded for Jamie McGinn, who played lights-out afterwards.

Sherman is clearly willing and able to make smart and bold moves to better the team. It is also clear that our brain trust has a good eye for talent. They know where the team is, and have been following a clear plan to make it better. At this point in time there are two highly talented players who may become UFA's in July, all of the above suggests to me that Sherman is willing and able to make a play for one or both of them to improve our team.

For the record- Suter would be my priority.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Cullen Bohannon

It would be more shocking if the team with the most cap space didn't make a push for one of those two guys.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

If we get Suter I think Greg from accounting deserves a nice little raise.

If we get both, well then he deserves a lifetime contract extension.

Seriously, I highly doubt we get Parise, but if we landed Suter on July 1st it would easily be the best day in a LONG time as an Avs fan.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
By make a move I meant would you go after him at all knowing that we have EJ already. I should've explaind it better.

Here's the poll thread about Suter or Parise from awhile back:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...t=suter+parise

Suter won handily.
No I would use that cap space to get Parise, then use our forward depth to get a top-4 D-man.

Old
06-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Pure

Show them the money!!!

Old
06-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

I'd love to believe this, but Dater has shown time and again that he has no inside sources with the team. He's never even sniffed a trade or signing before it happened, so where he's hearing this "chatter" from is anyone's guess.

Still, it's fun to think about.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
No I would use that cap space to get Parise, then use our forward depth to get a top-4 D-man.
Assuming we missed out on Parise, it's unlikely there will be another high profile UFA of his ilk in the future.

Weber is a top 5 dman at worst, #1 usually. Having a defense of...

Suter-Weber
DS - EJ

Would be a force for quite awhile.

I'd much rather have an overpowered defense than a stacked offense. Ask Washington fans which is more successful.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Assuming we missed out on Parise, it's unlikely there will be another high profile UFA of his ilk in the future.

Suter-Weber
DS - EJ

I'd much rather have an overpowered defense than a stacked offense. Ask Washington fans which is more successful.
I agree with this. I also think that a team that signs Suter has a good chance of getting Weber, of course if they're interested in adding Weber.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:09 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
like you guys said , both players would be amazing , but let say we can land only one of them who would you prefer ? who would fill our need the most ? Gaming and Bubba seems to think that It's Suter. I mean Suter and EJ would be a legit top Dpair for sure. But i do beleive that we need more offence up front too , so what do you guys would pick if we had to get just one ?
I think that with the re-signing of Jones and Hejduk that signs are pointing towards Suter, if anything.

We still have Mueller and McGinn to take care of as RFAs. If for some reason we don't re-sign them, maybe Parise could be a target, but again I think he will return to NJ.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Easily Suter. He's the best defenseman to hit the free agent market since Chara.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:

Suter-Weber
DS - EJ

And ask Nashville fans how far you get without a talented offense.

Quote:
I agree with this. I also think that a team that signs Suter has a good chance of getting Weber, of course if they're interested in adding Weber.
I just think that with EJ AND Suter, the need for a guy like Weber is diminished and you should look at upgrading other weaknesses first. A top 4 d-man would also be a priority for me, but for what it will cost to get Weber (likely Stastny or Duchene +) would upset the balance of our team with a heavy defence and shallow forward group, especially when injuries hit. Our D is already much deeper with NHL ready prospects but our forwards can only go so deep before we see a Sgarbossa or Connelly being forced to play. Right now I like the balance of our team if we add Suter and maybe another top 4 D-Man. One team does not need 3 #1 D-Men, no matter how enticing it seems.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
And ask Nashville fans how far you get without a talented offense.

I just think that with EJ AND Suter, the need for a guy like Weber is diminished and you should look at upgrading other weaknesses first. A top 4 d-man would also be a priority for me, but for what it will cost to get Weber (likely Stastny or Duchene +) would upset the balance of our team with a heavy defence and shallow forward group, especially when injuries hit. Our D is already much deeper with NHL ready prospects but our forwards can only go so deep before we see a Sgarbossa or Connelly being forced to play. Right now I like the balance of our team if we add Suter and maybe another top 4 D-Man. One team does not need 3 #1 D-Men, no matter how enticing it seems.
We have that talent on offense that Preds sorely lack. And I'm not advocating that we trade for Weber.

Edit:

And the lack of proven NHL top 4 offensively talented defensmen behind Suter and Weber was one of Nashville's downfalls. 1 good defensive pairing (no matter how good it is) isn't enough to make you a winner.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
I'd be excited about this news...if it was anyone else other than Dater reporting it. He never gets this stuff right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzino View Post
Guess Dater chatted with his pal Eklund...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
I'd love to believe this, but Dater has shown time and again that he has no inside sources with the team. He's never even sniffed a trade or signing before it happened, so where he's hearing this "chatter" from is anyone's guess.

Still, it's fun to think about.
Came here to post this. He's proven time and time again that he doesn't really have any inside sources...so just because this is positive news, we're suppose to believe him??

adater : Jones is a goner!
adater : Avs are interested in re-signing Jones!
adater : Avs sign Jones!

Having said all that, you don't need 'inside sources' to figure out that they will try to sign one of the better d-men that have been available as a UFA in quite some time. It was rumored they were interested before the start of last season and it wouldn't cost us any assets to acquire him at this point. On top of everything, you're taking him away from other teams you're competing with. Of course they SHOULD be interested.

For Parise, despite what he's saying, I believe he will NOT resign with the Devils. He's had almost 2 years to sign a long-term deal with that team and if it was going to happen, it would have by now. He would look very good on a line with Duchene and show him the ropes so-to-speak on how to compete and become a better player.

Suter should be the priority but adding Parise would make the Avs a very, very dangerous team.

Should be an awesome July 1st regardless. Exciting times!

Old
06-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Suter is the one I'd go after if I had to choose between them, but it's not like Parise would just be a luxury item. The Avs haven't had a 30 goal scorer since the 06-07 season and last year didn't even have a 25 goal scorer.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm happy if Dater is indeed correct.

As loath as I am to play free agent madlibs, I had doubts a big name would even be considered. We only seem to get flashes from Peirre these days, Stan is concentrating on the Rams, Josh the Nuggets and who knows what budget Sherman will get?

Old
06-16-2012, 06:11 PM
the_fan

I'd get both Parise and Suter and put an end to all the rebuilding this team into winner by drafting only because that's just gonna take forever.

Sign both this guys and this team all of the sudden is a contender.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
It's Dater so I am still taking this with a grain of salt.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:20 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

if we sign Parise i'll be so happy it'd be like i was a pig in slop.
if we sign Suter i'll have a severe fangasm imagining him and EJ on the top pairing.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
I don't know that the Avs probably making offers to either is really anything to get excited about. It's not a great revelation that they'd at least try to land one of them, seeing as how either would give the team something it needs and they've got the cap room to do it. Nothing is done until it is done, of course, but you've got to expect the Avs would at least try.

As far as I'm concerned, the Avs will be making those offers. I have little hope they'll sign either guy, but no doubt they'll make an attempt.

Closed Thread