HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: 三船 敏郎 マラソン

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

vCash: 500
**** cranky ass people who just wear a frown all damn day and screw them for ruining my day.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Ah nothing like playing the guitar to get rid of that steam.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:03 PM
End of Line
Human After All

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
07-03-2012, 02:49 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I hate Las Vegas.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
regard

Anywhoo I will consider Ice and Fire, dont think I'll ever make it far enough in Wheel of Time to get to the redeeming qualities.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:45 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Whaddup my brothas! Yeah I fear I'll never get into Song of Ice & Fire just because when they're that long I just think of other books I could be knocking out and moving on from. That was a large reason I quit The Dark Tower in the middle of book, I think 4. Plus I got the impression he was just making crap up as he went along, and heard a rumor that confirmed as much. That's not how it's done IMO.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:50 PM
hadrian

Song of Ice and Fire is infinitely better than Dark Tower, in my opinion. Dark Tower felt like a pure-text comic book. The books are very, very long, though, and the author seems to have lost his mojo since book three. Quality has declined, and he writes much, much more slowly. Banged out the first three books in two years each. Five years between three and four, another six years between four and five.

Though if you're really into the "magical" aspects of fantasy, Ice and Fire might not appeal so much to you. Very little magic, considering just how much is going on in the series.

Old
07-03-2012, 02:58 PM
regard

Yeah dont bother picking back up the Dark Tower. Im not sure why I read the whole thing. Wizard and Glass, book 5 I think? is great, but it was very much the highlight of the series. Too much random. I hated when he introduced a certain character towards the end. Spoiler=Himself. And the end, the true end end just confirmed it was a waste.

Actually Marvel has been doing a comic of it starting with Wizard and Glass and moving on from there through Rolands young years leading up to the Gunslinger. Its not bad, better than the book series itself. (Yes Hadrian I am a GEEK)

Old
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
hadrian

Geek, nerd, or jock, I highly recommend Song of Ice and Fire. It just takes a bit of a commitment. When the first book ends, nothing has been resolved. Second book creates more questions, no answers, no resolution. It's one long narrative, as opposed to a series of connected stories. And by the time book five rolls around, you're dealing with no less than 15 viewpoint characters, probably more. Can be a bit overwhelming.

I'll also say that HBO's Game of Thrones has, so far, been incredibly close to the source material. So if you've watched that, you'll know almost everything that's going to happen in the books. Almost.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Illinest

Wheel of Time - If you're rating the series I'd say it's fair. 7.5 out of 10. At the beginning it's more like a 8.5 or a 9, but some of the later books drag it way down. There's a few 6s in there. If you have any concerns about the new writer I'd like to ease your fears. The last couple books before Jordan died were out of control and Sanderson has managed to rein in many loose or hanging plot threads while also adopting a style that is reasonably similar to Jordan's. I will finish reading the series.

Fire and Ice - 8.5 out of 10. If anything I think that it's a bit overhyped. It has a few jaw-dropping moments but the series has become a bit lost. I think that they both have run into the same problem. Writing a single book story is not a problem. Trilogy - difficult but manageable. When these guys start to envision bigger stories I think they get an idea of where they want to start and where they need to be at the ending and then they try to jigger the middle parts to make it all fit.

While I'm at it:
Hunger Games 8 out of 10, but the trilogy as a whole is a 7. Especially if you don't appreciate the message that Collins allows to dominate the story as you get closer to the end.

LotR is a 10
Dune is a 10, the series is an 8 in spite of a few of the later books being more like a 6.
Harry Potter is a 9 but the first book of the series is the weakest - a 7.
Dark Tower, starts as a 9, then 8, then book 4 was a 6 and I haven't read anything since then. Not for lack of interest, but the shine did come off the series when I read book 4.

Just my opinions.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:17 PM
hadrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
Fire and Ice - 8.5 out of 10. If anything I think that it's a bit overhyped. It has a few jaw-dropping moments but the series has become a bit lost. I think that they both have run into the same problem. Writing a single book story is not a problem. Trilogy - difficult but manageable. When these guys start to envision bigger stories I think they get an idea of where they want to start and where they need to be at the ending and then they try to jigger the middle parts to make it all fit.
I'm something of a hipster when it comes to Ice and Fire. Similar feelings as I have for Star Wars. One through three is where it's at. As for book four and on...I keep praying the next installment is going to redeem the previous, but so far, I feel like the author has completely lost his way. Age, money, and semi-fame have done a number on him.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:18 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Dune was an epic in every sense of the word, one of my favorites. I think the Fremen were a pretty blatant deus ex machina but that's just me. Other than that one personal complaint I thought it was amazing. Never pressed on in the series.

I read 3-4 chapters of the Hunger Games and it never got its hooks in me. Was trying to breeze through it then go see the movie and just didn't care. Oh well.

The one series I mean to get back in to is Hyperion. The first book is great and the second book is kinda breath-taking to be honest. Dunno past that.

The Foundation series was pretty damn good too. You can read it in small chunks or blaze through it easily if you're hooked.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
regard

Hmm I feel like I'll have to come back to this before I go back to the book store next time.

Which Dark Tower book was 4? The one with Blaine the stupid ****ing Train? That would explain why everyone quit there. I was silly enough to go one past all of you to 5, and loved it so much it kept me going to the end, even though 6-whatever were as bad as 4.

Who said they liked Neil Gaiman? Good Omens was incredible. American Gods and Neverwhere are both pretty good. Never read Stardust yet. Of course I started with Sandman which I really enjoyed.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:42 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Hmm I feel like I'll have to come back to this before I go back to the book store next time.

Which Dark Tower book was 4? The one with Blaine the stupid ****ing Train? That would explain why everyone quit there. I was silly enough to go one past all of you to 5, and loved it so much it kept me going to the end, even though 6-whatever were as bad as 4.

Who said they liked Neil Gaiman? Good Omens was incredible. American Gods and Neverwhere are both pretty good. Never read Stardust yet. Of course I started with Sandman which I really enjoyed.
My favorite book is the one where we see him in his teens and he first meets Susannah. I forgot the witch's name, but **** I remember hating her.

I find his best book is still Salem's Lot. Such a simple Vampire story, but man was it effective.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:48 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I have the first couple Sandman compilations but didn't get too far into them. Just other stuff to read (big graphic novel fan too btw). I actually attended a sit down interview with Neil Gaiman in NYC when visiting my sister. She's a much bigger fan than I, but it was still fun and I think he's an interesting guy. My sister is actually a big fan of his wife's band too and attended a webcast in person of a show they put on. Afterwards everyone (about 50 ppl) hung out on the roof and she got to talk to Neil for a couple minutes. Too long to type the details but he sounded like a great guy.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
My favorite book is the one where we see him in his teens and he first meets Susannah. I forgot the witch's name, but **** I remember hating her.

I find his best book is still Salem's Lot. Such a simple Vampire story, but man was it effective.
I haven't read much King. In fact I usually hate his style. Exposition and background out the ass. I just thought it stalled some great stories. I bought The Stand and said eff this about 50 pages into it (unabridged version). As mentioned before I read "It" and thought it was great but other than that....

Old
07-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Illinest

About King - I recommend trying The Bachman Books. He wrote them under a pseudonym and I thought they were all pretty entertaining.

I enjoy Orson Scott Card's "Enders Game". The sequels are harder to appreciate - I think you have to enjoy a wide range of esoteric fields to get full value out of it. I liked them all pretty well but I could see how a person who is less science-obsessed might not enjoy them.

Salem's Lot is fantastic. I read it after trying his later stuff and I was surprised by how easy it is to read.

Gaiman is a great comic book writer but I've never tried any of his novels.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND the Dune sequels that were written by his son. I read one and tried to read another. 4 out of 10.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
hadrian

Any of you try to read Bakker?

Old
07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Had an awesome night. Feel great, gotta get up in four hours and go to work. Dont care, It's all good.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:11 PM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post

Thats the one I'm talking about. Wizard and Glass, pretty sure thats Book 5. If not then book 6. Marvel comics has done multiple comic series now that first retold the story, then continued it from there. As Roland and his original ka-tet return to thier city, showing how Martin manipulates it to its doom. The death of Rolands mother, and all the other stuff they allude to in the Dark Tower as well as other stuff. Its all written by a woman named Robin (Furth?), but comes from SKs ideas.

Salems Lot I didnt finish I dont think, too simple and repetitive. Alot of King I would read, be engaged enough to finish, then wonder at the end if I enjoyed it. lol Been years since I read any. I remember really enjoying Insomnia. Also the one that ties into the Dark Tower, with the kid and the wolfman .....Talisman, liked that alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44
I have the first couple Sandman compilations but didn't get too far into them. Just other stuff to read (big graphic novel fan too btw). I actually attended a sit down interview with Neil Gaiman in NYC when visiting my sister. She's a much bigger fan than I, but it was still fun and I think he's an interesting guy. My sister is actually a big fan of his wife's band too and attended a webcast in person of a show they put on. Afterwards everyone (about 50 ppl) hung out on the roof and she got to talk to Neil for a couple minutes. Too long to type the details but he sounded like a great guy.
I really enjoyed them. Read alot of graphic novels but I go full geek. lol
Fables is awesome. Y The Last Man is interesting but havnt finished, Walking Dead too but I enjoy the show.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:31 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

If you like sweeping epics but don't want to read 6-plus books before they wrap up, check out Sean Russell's The Initiate Brother /Gatherer of Clouds duology, an Asian-themed story about empire, barbarians, monks who pursue enlightenment while wielding some kickass kungfu, a religious schism, political ambition, deception and loyalty.

It's from around 1990 and I'm not sure if it's still in print, but it's a well-plotted, smart story with richly detailed characters. Russell is under the radar of many in contempoary fantasy, but all of his work is well done.

Edit: Oh, and if you want a good resource for fantasy book recommendations, check out http://bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php. It gives recommendations for books similar to ones you may have read, and like any good list, it can start some good arguments and discussions (there are links to best single-book fantasy novels, nearly the best fantasy books, good fantasy books and "the worst" fantasy books).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
... I enjoy Orson Scott Card's "Enders Game". The sequels are harder to appreciate - I think you have to enjoy a wide range of esoteric fields to get full value out of it. I liked them all pretty well but I could see how a person who is less science-obsessed might not enjoy them.

... Gaiman is a great comic book writer but I've never tried any of his novels.
"Ender's Game" is great. If you haven't read it yet, do so over the next year ... a movie adaptation is slated for Thanksgiving 2013. I hope they do it right.

Gaiman's "American Gods" is brilliant. And I don't use that word lightly. It's so good. I was lucky to talk to him one-on-one for about 75 minutes about his work when he was promoting "Stardust" several years ago ... a really good guy.

Last edited by mrzeigler: 07-03-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
regard

Typing on here is horrid right now from my phone.
Cool stories UB44 n Mr Z.

Thanks for the list, ive heard good things about Magician Apprentice. Enders Game was made into a comic recently. Ill check that out.

American Gods was real good. Mr Z tell me you read Good Omens. By Gaiman and Pritchard, hilarious, really fun read.

Ive always tended to jump around different genres, havnt been reading as much lately, might be due a fantasy kick. Lol

Old
07-03-2012, 09:30 PM
JTG

I'm looking to buy a new smartphone.

I am such a techno-sped it isn't even funny. I tried doing research, and I became so confused.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:32 PM
PensFever71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'm looking to buy a new smartphone.

I am such a techno-sped it isn't even funny. I tried doing research, and I became so confused.
What carrier do you have?

Old
07-03-2012, 09:36 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFever71 View Post
What carrier do you have?
Verizon

Closed Thread