HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: 三船 敏郎 マラソン

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 08:44 PM
PensFever71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Verizon
Well I am partial to Android and Samsung. But iPhone is the easiest/least daunting jump into smartphones.

Here is the scoop...

When you walk into verizon, they will try to sell you a 4g smartphone over an iPhone. More than likely that will be a Motorola they try to sell you. Now motorolas are nice phones but count on it working well for a year to 18 months and then having an annoying problem with it for the remainder of your contract (my personal experience).

July 10th Verizon will debut the Galaxy S3 by Samsung. It runs a version of Android, and is being extremely hyped. This is the phone I would get (but like I said, I am partial).

I believe the new iPhone comes out in August/September.

The current iPhone offering is not a 4G phone (4G is currently the fastest wireless data connection). It is a very good phone, but Verizon will try to sell you a 4G phone.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:44 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb is an enjoyable read as well. It's a swords and horses type of fantasy. Actually, she has done three trilogies set in the same 'world' that I thought were pretty good.

Someone mentioned Orson Scott Card's 'Ender's Game' ... his 'Alvin Maker' series is an alternate American history, and I actually enjoyed it more than the 'Ender' series.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:07 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFever71 View Post
Well I am partial to Android and Samsung. But iPhone is the easiest/least daunting jump into smartphones.

Here is the scoop...

When you walk into verizon, they will try to sell you a 4g smartphone over an iPhone. More than likely that will be a Motorola they try to sell you. Now motorolas are nice phones but count on it working well for a year to 18 months and then having an annoying problem with it for the remainder of your contract (my personal experience).

July 10th Verizon will debut the Galaxy S3 by Samsung. It runs a version of Android, and is being extremely hyped. This is the phone I would get (but like I said, I am partial).

The current iPhone offering is not a 4G phone (4G is currently the fastest wireless data connection). It is a very good phone, but Verizon will try to sell you a 4G phone.
I have had some friends weigh in on the issue, and it only confused me more. One was a diehard iPhone user. He got the 1st one the day it came out, and has had a new one every year since. He just switched to the Droid, and he said he likes it just a much, and that all his Mac stuff syncs up just fine (I'm a Mac user, so...)

I also had another friend say that "when you buy an iPhone, you're paying more for old technology." I don't really know if that's true, but I am inclined to believe he's right because he really knows his ****. That being said, he's highly opinionated and incredibly biased when speaking about anything. It's not a facts answer with him, but more of a personal preference, and I don't typically take opinions like that seriously.

My initial thoughts are that I'd like to get an iPhone because I'm a Mac user, and though people routinely knock iPhone for having a smaller screen...that's a selling feature for me. I'd rather have a smaller screen than having a complete brick in my pocket. I've held on to my Blackberry for as long as I have because I like the size of it. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is because everything is breaking...both on the phone and the accessories.

With all of this being said, and as much as I love my Apple products, I think Google is the greatest company in the world, and I have sucked up everything they've ever made.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post

I really enjoyed them. Read alot of graphic novels but I go full geek. lol
Fables is awesome. Y The Last Man is interesting but havnt finished, Walking Dead too but I enjoy the show.
I have not read those but have held them in my hand and contemplated at the book store many times. Will be my next ones in 50 years when I finish what I have haha.

I haven't read a DC Vertigo yet that I haven't liked. Transmetropolitan is visionary IMO, and 100 Bullets has "HBO series" written all over it. Frickin love that series, and Preacher is very good too.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I have the first couple Sandman compilations but didn't get too far into them. Just other stuff to read (big graphic novel fan too btw). I actually attended a sit down interview with Neil Gaiman in NYC when visiting my sister. She's a much bigger fan than I, but it was still fun and I think he's an interesting guy. My sister is actually a big fan of his wife's band too and attended a webcast in person of a show they put on. Afterwards everyone (about 50 ppl) hung out on the roof and she got to talk to Neil for a couple minutes. Too long to type the details but he sounded like a great guy.
These here?

Was thinking of grabbing Volume 1 of "The Absolute Sandman" for my fiance as a birthday gift. I know there's 4 volumes but I figured I might get her the first one to start off. I know she likes Neil Gaiman so....

Old
07-03-2012, 09:32 PM
PensFever71

Quote:
I have had some friends weigh in on the issue, and it only confused me more. One was a diehard iPhone user. He got the 1st one the day it came out, and has had a new one every year since. He just switched to the Droid, and he said he likes it just a much, and that all his Mac stuff syncs up just fine (I'm a Mac user, so...)

I also had another friend say that "when you buy an iPhone, you're paying more for old technology." I don't really know if that's true, but I am inclined to believe he's right because he really knows his ****. That being said, he's highly opinionated and incredibly biased when speaking about anything. It's not a facts answer with him, but more of a personal preference, and I don't typically take opinions like that seriously.

My initial thoughts are that I'd like to get an iPhone because I'm a Mac user, and though people routinely knock iPhone for having a smaller screen...that's a selling feature for me. I'd rather have a smaller screen than having a complete brick in my pocket. I've held on to my Blackberry for as long as I have because I like the size of it. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is because everything is breaking...both on the phone and the accessories.

With all of this being said, and as much as I love my Apple products, I think Google is the greatest company in the world, and I have sucked up everything they've ever made.

In this case, I agree with the friend who said you will be paying for old technology with the iPhone. There is a reason that no Apple commercial ever stresses the technological specs of their products. Apple sells you an experience. The iPhone 4s is old technology, but it is beautifully balanced (and I say this even though I dislike Apple). The closest company to this is Samsung (hence the reason they are always involved in litigation with each other).

I, personally could not buy a 3g device at this point in time. The iPhone 4s is the last relevant 3g device; but you and I may have different agendas.

To address your small screen being a selling point: The next iPhone will have a larger screen in addition to 4G capability. So if you're basing your choice on screen size alone, you may want to reconsider.

Speculation on the newest iPhone: http://www.bgr.com/2012/06/13/apple-...leaked-photos/

Old
07-03-2012, 09:36 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Typing on here is horrid right now from my phone.
Cool stories UB44 n Mr Z.

Thanks for the list, ive heard good things about Magician Apprentice. Enders Game was made into a comic recently. Ill check that out.

American Gods was real good. Mr Z tell me you read Good Omens. By Gaiman and Pritchard, hilarious, really fun read.

Ive always tended to jump around different genres, havnt been reading as much lately, might be due a fantasy kick. Lol
Yep. ... Laughed out loud on more than a few occasions. I really enjoyed Good Omens and have been itching to read more of Terry Pratchett's stuff ... only problem is that he's written so much that I haven't yet figured out where to start.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

Quote:

Here is the scoop...

Quote:

I love my iPhone 4S that I got last year. This is my first foray into the iPhone world after 6 Nokia phones over 14 years and seriously, I wouldn't go back to anything else.

On the subject of the next iPhone, I have heard that all the docking stations are going to be made obsolete as the thing-a-ma-jig connector that charges your iPhone will be different. This will piss me off as there is more Apple docking stations and chargers in the house than I care to think - and this is for about 7 devices between myself and the Parental Units.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:23 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Happy 4th of July to my fellow, American Pens fans!

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
07-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

I wish all you American Penguins fans a very happy 4th of July - from an this Aussie

Old
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
These here?

Was thinking of grabbing Volume 1 of "The Absolute Sandman" for my fiance as a birthday gift. I know there's 4 volumes but I figured I might get her the first one to start off. I know she likes Neil Gaiman so....
Ha no sadly just the first two graphic novels. I knew "compilations" was prob not the right word to use. Those are really nice though. I'll prob get back into them here soon now that we're talking about them. U think it was just so different I didn't know how to take it at first, but my body is ready now haha.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:43 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Happy 4th of July guys.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:38 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Deciding to play a slot
machine solely on it's concept paid off. I solved the mystery on the Clue slot machine and more than paid for this Vegas stopover.

I still hate this place, but holding $500 in found cash is definitely a nice feeling.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:09 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Ha no sadly just the first two graphic novels. I knew "compilations" was prob not the right word to use. Those are really nice though. I'll prob get back into them here soon now that we're talking about them. U think it was just so different I didn't know how to take it at first, but my body is ready now haha.
Yeah those "Absolute" editions are expensive as **** though. Like $120 per volume if you go by the list price. But since they're slpcased, and leatherbound it's worth it I suppose. Fortunately Amazon.ca has them for about $75 each.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:19 AM
PensFever71

Quote:
Happy 4th of July guys.
Happy 4th man. I hope everyone enjoys themselves today.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

I am probably drunk-posting here but one of my Country's good sporting Rivalries that is just as good as any given Canada v USA Hockey game is not far off going into the third and deciding game.

Yes Marns, I am referring to the QLD v NSW State of Origin Rugby League game and yes I am a Queensland girl

Old
07-04-2012, 01:15 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Happy 4th man. I hope everyone enjoys themselves today.
I'm Canadian but thank you.

Can I still have a beer and light at least one firecracker?

Old
07-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
I have not read those but have held them in my hand and contemplated at the book store many times. Will be my next ones in 50 years when I finish what I have haha.

I haven't read a DC Vertigo yet that I haven't liked. Transmetropolitan is visionary IMO, and 100 Bullets has "HBO series" written all over it. Frickin love that series, and Preacher is very good too.
Y: The Last Man is incredible. If you haven't read it, I can't recommend it enough.

Also, 100 Bullets might become a series on Showtime. If done properly, that would be awesome.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
JTG

Quote:

Need to pay America a royalty to do so

Old
07-04-2012, 01:44 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Well after poking around doing some more research on those Absolute Sandman volumes I'm a bit hesitant about buying them.

Apparantly some of the volumes have really crappy binding that causes pages to fall out. Glued binding vs. sewn binding more or less. So the last thing I wanna do is pay around $100 for a hardcover volume that might fall apart before my fiance has a chance to read it. Sheesh. I hate when companies cheap out and cut corners.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:45 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Need to pay America a royalty to do so
How much?

Old
07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
JTG

Quote:
How much?

Old
07-04-2012, 02:08 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

^

Old
07-04-2012, 02:15 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Well after poking around doing some more research on those Absolute Sandman volumes I'm a bit hesitant about buying them.

Apparantly some of the volumes have really crappy binding that causes pages to fall out. Glued binding vs. sewn binding more or less. So the last thing I wanna do is pay around $100 for a hardcover volume that might fall apart before my fiance has a chance to read it. Sheesh. I hate when companies cheap out and cut corners.
Ya depends on how many volumes are in there. Seems a little over the top price-wise tho

Old
07-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Awesome 4th of July, but holy crap was it hot in Pittsburgh. I came so close to passing out.

Closed Thread