HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why The Tampa Trade Matters

Old
06-17-2012, 01:05 AM
AlmightyPO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafanatic13 View Post
Honest question, what is the likelihood that the leafs take on Luongo and when his play deteriorates they office him a front office job like "head goalie scout" which pays more than his remaining contract years?

This is obvious cap circumvention but could the league call them on it?
I assume if he retires he can do whatever he wants, with whatever organization he chooses.

AlmightyPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:08 AM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
I assume if he retires he can do whatever he wants, with whatever organization he chooses.
I edited my post to clarify what I meant a little better.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:11 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

The main thing was Tampa never had him on the radar. Wasn't a smart move for him.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:12 AM
agropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
I'm quite aware of everything Canuck. I'm god damned immersed in it on a daily basis. I'm aware of what their team does well and not so well and I'm aware of what Roberto Luongo has to offer. But I'm also aware of how long 6 years is with a NTC. He has 1 window in which to trade him and his list is 4 teams long.

He may not be a cap killer immediately, but there is potential there in the near future. At the very least, we should wait until we know what the new CBA looks like.
GM's have been pushing for a 1 time amnesty clause for the new CBA, I'm sure you're quite aware of that too...

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:22 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by agropop View Post
GM's have been pushing for a 1 time amnesty clause for the new CBA, I'm sure you're quite aware of that too...
Why don't you explain why that makes any sense to the Leafs? Let Vancouver buy him out and sign him to a short term deal then.

And can you site sources for GM's pushing for an amnesty clause? Or is the a buyout clause like the last one.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:28 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
2) Luongo has a long contract that will handcuff the team. --- Luongo apparently intends on retiring early... and if not, Burke can always put him in the minors. By the end of his contract, a buyout is another option.
A buy out is very very expensive in $ and cap hit. A buyout really penalizes teams with front loaded deals.

As for sending him to the minors, we need to see what the new CBA says on that.

Old
06-17-2012, 01:34 AM
agropop

Quote:
Why don't you explain why that makes any sense to the Leafs? Let Vancouver buy him out and sign him to a short term deal then.

And can you site sources for GM's pushing for an amnesty clause? Or is the a buyout clause like the last one.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/02/11...amnesty-clause

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-with-new-cba/

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ates-Pt-1.html

Old
06-17-2012, 01:35 AM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
A buy out is very very expensive in $ and cap hit. A buyout really penalizes teams with front loaded deals.

As for sending him to the minors, we need to see what the new CBA says on that.
I think if he was about to be sent to the minors he would choose to retire (if no one picked him up on waivers). But I agree the new CBA could render the whole process useless, unless it would only apply to contracts after the new CBA went into effect.

AlmightyPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:40 AM
RogerRoeper*

Yzerman already said last month he had no interest in Luongo. Despite the speculcation, Tampa could never afford his contract.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:45 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

So is this a one time thing that can be done at anytime during the new CBA? Or is this to be done at the start of the new CBA like it was after the last lockout. Cause it would make no sense to trade for him next week and buy his $60 000 000 contract out before he plays a game.

Old
06-17-2012, 01:49 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
I think if he was about to be sent to the minors he would choose to retire (if no one picked him up on waivers). But I agree the new CBA could render the whole process useless, unless it would only apply to contracts after the new CBA went into effect.
They won't grandfather something like that in. They'll granfather in that the contract stands (obviously) but they won't grandfather waivers, UFA or anything cap related.

Old
06-17-2012, 02:17 AM
agropop

Quote:
So is this a one time thing that can be done at anytime during the new CBA? Or is this to be done at the start of the new CBA like it was after the last lockout. Cause it would make no sense to trade for him next week and buy his $60 000 000 contract out before he plays a game.
So, in other words, you actually read nothing in the links provided?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...t-labor-agreem

Such a clause would allow a team to buy out one contract that wouldn’t have a cap hit. The NBA adopted a similar clause in its latest labor deal.

“The amnesty clause would be a one-time buyout only,” a league source told The Calgary Sun. “It would allow the team to get rid of one contract without having to take the buyout amount on their cap.”

The NBA’s amnesty clause can be used by teams once over the life of the league’s 10-year agreement but only on contracts that were already in place at the inception of the new CBA.

Last edited by agropop: 06-17-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old
06-17-2012, 03:15 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Totally agree! great post.... Luongo would be the best thing to happen to the Leafs since Belfour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
Mess- who would you like to see as the Leafs starting goalie over the next 5 years who we can realistically say is available? If you feel these can consist of different names, please enlighten me. Also explain to me how this will give us any shot of winning during that span as well.

Luongo already makes us a playoff threat - it will also generate more interest in people wanting to sign here as we are showing we are in a better position to compete. Burke will also have the ability to make those deadline type deals to allow us to get deep in playoffs vs having to worry about goaltending.

You harp on age? Marty just took his team to the finals at 40. Tim Thomas won cup in late 30's. Want a lower tear example - Roli took Edm to finals in his late 30's.

Luongo is a talent that can help us compete. He is the Cujo, the Belfour, the rock we need to settle our D, keep the puck out and win us enough games to get to the postseason.

You cry about salary likes its an issue. Look at L.A.C.K. for example, those are contracts that screw up our cap and should be causing u stress.

If we get Lou we should be happy as hell...

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:18 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
So, in other words, you actually read nothing in the links provided?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...t-labor-agreem
Not one of the links you provided said anything about whether it was available immediately only, or through the length of the CBA, which you added later.

I did read this part.

Quote:
Of course, it’s worth emphasizing that all of this is still purely theoretical. Even if the NHL’s GMs want this clause, and it’s not hard to believe that they would, it doesn’t mean that it will be included in the final draft of the next CBA. Still, we bet that fans of almost every team can name a player whose contract they’d like to see their team shed.

Last edited by smoke meat pete*: 06-17-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old
06-17-2012, 03:24 AM
Leafs24Seven*

More like Oui Oui Oui
Quote:
Say No No No
To Lu-On-Go

Old
06-17-2012, 03:27 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
More like Oui Oui Oui
Nope, it doesn't rhyme.

Old
06-17-2012, 03:32 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Was not supposed to, i was going with his french canadian background
Quote:
Nope, it doesn't rhyme.

Old
06-17-2012, 03:54 AM
agropop

Quote:
Not one of the links you provided said anything about whether it was available immediately only, or through the length of the CBA, which you added later.

I did read this part.
Is that the part you're going to cling to? Shocking.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:40 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
If Loungo was 5 years younger and/or had 5 less years left on his contract then I'd suggest Leafs be all over making a trade and lock up the goaltending position.

But all things considered including age, contract, cap hit for potentially for 10 more years, and Leafs current status, it doesn't make Luongo a good fit based on timing.. IMO

Its not only about the present, its about looking at the situation long term from a Leaf fan perspective.
If Loungo were 5 years younger or had 5 years left on his contract we would not be talking about a 'soft' trade to acquire him you would be talking a Gardiner/5th over-all type deal.

The cap issue is secondary here, (he does not have an NMC) teams like Florida cannot make a 54 million dollar (amount left on Loungo's contract) error. MLSE can, it is chump change.

The Leafs would be absolutely foolish not to acquire Loungo in a soft trade.

This is about the fans, it is about improving the team, it is about the future. Heck with Loungo on board perhaps Parise takes a serious look at Toronto.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

Luongo's contract is too ridiculous for the Leafs.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:21 AM
JKsilverstick*

Tampa Bay publicly stated a while ago that they weren't after Luongo. This changes nothing. Really, Toronto is and always has been the only possible team that may go after Luongo, and even that is stretching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Tampa made a great move investing in a young goalie with a bright future.
Yep, I'm sure you would have said the exact same thing if Toronto made that trade, right?

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:32 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Is that the part you're going to cling to? Shocking.
What is your problem here? I should change my mind on Luongo because maybe maybe maybe there will be an amnesty clause which hasn't even been defined yet?

Old
06-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo19 View Post
Luongo's contract is too ridiculous for the Leafs.
I disagree personally, you look at any number #1 goalie, they are making at least 5-6 million plus.

Luongo is making 5,333,333 for the next number of years. Compare this to Connolly, who makes 4.5 million, Lombardi who makes 3.5, or the best one yet Komi at 4.5. So we would pay these guys that amount of money, yet for 1 million more, the first #1 goalie we have in years is too much.

In terms of length, highly doubt Luongo plays 10 more years. Also when his capnhit shrinks in the last few years, he isn't going to stay for that. He will retire.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:42 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Love BillyD started threads. Thanks for posting this

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:59 AM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Love BillyD started threads. Thanks for posting this
Agreed.

Really well thought out and very informative! A breath of fresh air and new angle on a topic that has been beaten to death since Vancouver dropped in the first round!

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote