HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins Pre-Draft Analysis

Old
06-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh Penguins Pre-Draft Analysis

Hey Folks,

HF's Mike Farkas wrote a comprehensive article on the Penguins and the upcoming Draft. I thought some of you might want to check it out...

Pittsburgh Penguins Draft Analysis

06-16-2012, 05:27 AM
The Old Master

we are drafting 22 not 27.....if you couldn't get that right......?

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Florentino Ariza

What is firewagon hockey?

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:58 AM
KGpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
Run and gun....more offense, less defense and structure...

KGpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:06 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGpens View Post
Run and gun....more offense, less defense and structure...
Yep. Not a big fan of it either. Means players won't be in the position to get back as we all have seen many times last season.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
See: Boudreau era Caps, 2012 post season Penguins.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I didn't realize we had traded our 22nd to the Coyotes for their 27th. Apparently Staal has been traded who else was involved?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Burgs

Good writeup overall, wrong draft order aside, so thanks for the work.

But I don't think you can give our forward prospects a D when our non-existent goalie depth gets a D-. We don't have any blue chippers at forward but still a solid mix of skill (Bennett, Kühnhackl, Hanowski) and grit (Tangradi, Sill, Uher) and some promising, long-range college guys (Agostino, Wilson, Archibald). What is definitely missing is a good center but you already pointed out why that is so.

By comparison, our goalie depth consists of Killeen who is entering the last year of his ELC and hasn't even established himself as a clear #1 in the ECHL, Pechurskiy who likely will never return from Russia, and NOBODY else. Absolutely zero unless you cound UFA Thiessen. IMO, forwards should get a C and goalies an F.

So drafting a center and a goalie in the first 3 rounds sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by Burgs: 06-16-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:31 PM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I didn't realize we had traded our 22nd to the Coyotes for their 27th. Apparently Staal has been traded who else was involved?
Looks like the article writer mistakenly listed the Phoenix picks instead of Pittsburgh's.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
SEALBound

How is Kuhnhackl developing? Said he's going to inject some skill...whens he gonna be ready?

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:30 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Good writeup overall, wrong draft order aside, so thanks for the work.

But I don't think you can give our forward prospects a D when our non-existent goalie depth gets a D-. We don't have any blue chippers at forward but still a solid mix of skill (Bennett, Kühnhackl, Hanowski) and grit (Tangradi, Sill, Uher) and some promising, long-range college guys (Agostino, Wilson, Archibald). What is definitely missing is a good center but you already pointed out why that is so.

By comparison, our goalie depth consists of Killeen who is entering the last year of his ELC and hasn't even established himself as a clear #1 in the ECHL, Pechurskiy who likely will never return from Russia, and NOBODY else. Absolutely zero unless you cound UFA Thiessen. IMO, forwards should get a C and goalies an F.

So drafting a center and a goalie in the first 3 rounds sounds like a good idea.
Agree, I think the Forwards should be a C at least and an F is generous for the Goalies.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:57 AM
sina220*

Article is spot on. We should be much more critical of our drafting and development than we are. I've complained about the lack of euro scouting for a long time, and that article points that out perfectly. Its like were literally ignoring large chunks of talent because we dont wanna pay scouts.

It amazes me Shero can come from Nashville, a team with amazing scouting and development that invests heavily in scandanavia,and completely ignore it when he comes here. Its baffling, it truly is. Instead of taking a more talented euro we seem reserved to take semi obscure college and high school players in later rounds.

sina220* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:20 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
How is Kuhnhackl developing? Said he's going to inject some skill...whens he gonna be ready?
I imagine he'll need at least two full years in the AHL.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:43 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
Article is spot on. We should be much more critical of our drafting and development than we are. I've complained about the lack of euro scouting for a long time, and that article points that out perfectly. Its like were literally ignoring large chunks of talent because we dont wanna pay scouts.

It amazes me Shero can come from Nashville, a team with amazing scouting and development that invests heavily in scandanavia,and completely ignore it when he comes here. Its baffling, it truly is. Instead of taking a more talented euro we seem reserved to take semi obscure college and high school players in later rounds.
Someone posted a stat before that Pittsburgh has as many Euro scouts as every other team in the league.

It's not like we're employing 1, and other teams are employing 10.

When it comes to a draft board, it's just not about a players talent, but it's about the organizations belief that they can develop that talent, the players ability to fit into how the GM wants his hockey to be played, and the player's perceived willingness to either come to North America, or how his game will translate.

Shero may not draft guys out of Europe for numerous reasons. Maybe he feels that the way they play in Europe just doesn't translate to how he wants his teams to play? Maybe he doesn't want to deal with getting a guy to come over here? Maybe he feels he has more control of a players development when they are the same continent? Maybe it does come down to scouting, and he just has a way better feel from North American guys because he has the soldiers on the ground getting good reads from them? I've said before, I'd rather Shero draft a guy his staff has a really good feel for v. drafting a guy out of the Swedish D- League because the guy can dangle.

I'll never understand the love affair with European prospects. There's less of them, they are harder to get a read on, and you then have all the other factors to deal with. I like Shero dealing with North Americans. It's a bigger pool, it's less risk, and it's not like Canada and America are completely void of high skill players.

Last edited by JTG: 06-17-2012 at 09:50 AM.
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Someone posted a stat before that Pittsburgh has as many Euro scouts as every other team in the league.

It's not like we're employing 1, and other teams are employing 10.

When it comes to a draft board, it's just not about a players talent, but it's about the organizations belief that they can develop that talent, the players ability to fit into how the GM wants his hockey to be played, and the player's perceived willingness to either come to North America, or how his game will translate.

Shero may not draft guys out of Europe for numerous reasons. Maybe he feels that the way they play in Europe just doesn't translate to how he wants his teams to play? Maybe he doesn't want to deal with getting a guy to come over here? Maybe he feels he has more control of a players development when they are the same continent? Maybe it does come down to scouting, and he just has a way better feel from North American guys because he has the soldiers on the ground getting good reads from them? I've said before, I'd rather Shero draft a guy his staff has a really good feel for v. drafting a guy out of the Swedish D- League because the guy can dangle.

I'll never understand the love affair with European prospects. There's less of them, they are harder to get a read on, and you then have all the other factors to deal with. I like Shero dealing with North Americans. It's a bigger pool, it's less risk, and it's not like Canada and America are completely void of high skill players.
This. North American picks just seem safer overall. Outside of the 80's/90's Red Wings how many solid Euro NHLers have been drafted in later rounds? I feel like a high majority of the good Euros are drafted very early on.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Freeptop

Take it how you will, but I recall that around the draft either last year or the year before, there was an interview with Jay Heinbuck (Pens' director of amateur scouting) where he was asked about the lack of European picks, and he basically said that it wasn't that the Pens didn't like Europeans - it was that other teams tended to pick the guys they liked before they got a chance to.

Like I said, take that with a grain of salt, but it is worth noting that it isn't like the Pens can simply choose who they want out of a draft - it all depends on how 30 different teams have the draft prospects ranked, and where those teams are picking.

Considering Shero seemed to disprove the whole "won't draft out of the WHL" myth last year, who knows? Maybe he'll select a few Europeans this year. Or, you know, maybe we'll get a bunch of NCAA-bound prospects that drive at least a few of the posters here crazy, and have about half of them turn out to look really promising... again

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote