HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What team has the goodies to offer sheet Shea Weber??

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2012, 05:38 PM
FeedingFrenzy

vCash: 500
What team has the goodies to offer sheet Shea Weber??

Seeing how Weber still remains without a deal, is it out of the question to think Poile may let Shea take an offer elsewhere? Bag the picks, sign Suter long term and go after a Top 6 scoring threat.
Who has the picks to accomdate such a ploy and the $$?
Would Detroit mortage the future on Shea?
Thoughts?

Old
06-16-2012, 05:43 PM
zeus3007*

Most teams would, the picks start next season, so unless a team has traded their first next year, they can in that regard. New Jersey still owes the league a 1st, so I guess they'd be out. Money wise, I'm sure most teams would make room for Shea Weber, so I wouldn't worry about that. It really comes down to asking who would give up 4 1st rounders, because Poile would match anything under 10 million I'm sure. I don't see any GM's willing to do 4 first rounders for anyone.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:48 PM
mackattack

Vancouver would, and has the pieces to get a deal done if they don't offersheet. Also, if it's clear that Weber doesn't want to stay in Nashville long term, a team could offersheet him for one year. If Nashville matched, they'd get him for a year, but he'd walk away for nothing next summer due to the fact you can't trade a player for a year after you match their offersheet. Any team could put them in a very tight bind, where they'd pretty much just have to accept the first round picks. For a team like Vancouver that probably has a few more years of contention left, giving up four mid-20 picks isn't much at all for the best defenceman in the world. Especially when they have other assets that could net picks back and have found other ways to get good young players.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:49 PM
BOUNCE

I think teams are going to wait untill he is a UFA. Shea Weber is a top5 D in the league but its a huge risk giving up 4 1st round draft picks for him...

Old
06-16-2012, 05:53 PM
lolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCE View Post
I think teams are going to wait untill he is a UFA. Shea Weber is a top5 D in the league but its a huge risk giving up 4 1st round draft picks for him...
Assuming he gets to FA. I doubt many teams are seriously considering a offer sheet simply because they would basically be black listing themselves from other GMs.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:58 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I'm confident the Predators would match any offer sheet.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Asher

Nail for Weber. I would think that would get Poile's interest.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I don't see any offersheets coming Weber's way. If a team wants him, they will trade for him.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:14 PM
rockinghockey

Will be interesting to see what happens with Weber is Suter is gone this summer, would love to have him in EDM that is for sure. I for one would not give up everything to get him though, if Weber wants to stay he will sign a long term deal, if he doesn't he signs a one year deal then he picks where he wants to go.

It sounds like NAS might not be bring back a few players so what about something like:
Hemsky, Gagner, Whitney, Peckham, Musil for Weber

It is quite a bit, I would even say a huge over payment from EDM but it still leaves us with Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yak. Then Suter sees that Weber is in EDM and signs as a UFA. Our problem lacking with dmen is solved.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Booom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
Assuming he gets to FA. I doubt many teams are seriously considering a offer sheet simply because they would basically be black listing themselves from other GMs.
Except that's not the least bit true.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Will be interesting to see what happens with Weber is Suter is gone this summer, would love to have him in EDM that is for sure. I for one would not give up everything to get him though, if Weber wants to stay he will sign a long term deal, if he doesn't he signs a one year deal then he picks where he wants to go.

It sounds like NAS might not be bring back a few players so what about something like:

It is quite a bit, I would even say a huge over payment from EDM but it still leaves us with Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yak. Then Suter sees that Weber is in EDM and signs as a UFA. Our problem lacking with dmen is solved.
If you give up this incredible package, you would need at least Suter, Legwand, 3 1st round picks, and Radulov's rights coming back with Weber.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:27 PM
dawkins121

I think the Predators would just match any offer sheet. A better question might be which teams have the assets to make a real offer for his rights.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Good Sami

Quote:

LOL! Everyone sees ridiculous deals daily, but with one actually made me smile.

It'll be less funny if you're 10 though

Old
06-16-2012, 06:41 PM
bernmeister

Preds would match.

Rangers would be interested, would have to move Brad Richards just to have extra elbow room.
However his heart may not be in SF, but it is rumored to be points west.
Unless he personally says he's up for open bidding for his services, I am shy about pursuit and not optimistic.

If Preds get feeling he may bolt and want to sell him to highest bidder AS ONE YEAR RENTAL, that would be different.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:

Hmmm...Are you perhaps judging value using player weight as your decider?

Old
06-16-2012, 06:44 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Preds would match.

Main point however is NO team can afford the risk of merely acquiring and then he walks after 1 year.
but you could jack up his price just to see the preds squirm. that's sort of fun, right?

Old
06-16-2012, 06:46 PM
sully1410

Not sure if we'd offer sheet or not, but I'd trade Evander Kane for him

Old
06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
but you could jack up his price just to see the preds squirm. that's sort of fun, right?
Yes, but lack of good will begets same, karma, do unto others etc., so unless I owe Nashville one, I won't throw a lit match on that gas.

Which gets me back to the bottom line after I edited the post.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Kingler

I don't see Weber signing offer sheet

Nashville will match and then Weber is stuck in Nashville for god knows how long. The Pred is first class organization and I'm always amazed at how they manage to compete year in year out. However, they can do little to attract star UFA and now it seems Suter could be leaving

If I'm Weber, I'm playing my RFA out and see my options

If I'm Nashville i'm praying for offer sheet and so I can match

Old
06-16-2012, 06:53 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post

Nashville will match and then Weber is stuck in Nashville for god knows how long. The Pred is first class organization and I'm always amazed at how they manage to compete year in year out. However, they can do little to attract star UFA and now it seems Suter could be leaving

Well Rumor has it he wants to play in Vancouver. If I'm the nucks, I offer sheet for a year and hope he signs it so the Preds can match for one year then hopefully pick him up next year. Or hope they don't match. Which ever.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Anomander Rake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Well Rumor has it he wants to play in Vancouver. If I'm the nucks, I offer sheet for a year and hope he signs it so the Preds can match for one year then hopefully pick him up next year. Or hope they don't match. Which ever.
Rumour has it that everyone wants to play in Vancouver.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:57 PM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post

No team will offer sheet Weber a multi year contract. They will offer a one year contract as it guarantees Nashville will not match(well almost guarantees) because he would then walk for nothing in a year.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Keep in mind you have to give him an offer that Nashville likely wouldn't match.

If you think he is one of the 3 or 4 best defensemen in the game, 4 1st round picks is a no-brainer to give up. It's basically 1 to get him, 1 to have him before he would have been a UFA, and then 2 encompassing the rest of the contract.

How do you make sure you get him via offer sheet though? You need to make sure it's a completely insane offer. Nashville will gladly take someone else doing their work for an 8-year $64M contract.

It's got to be front-loaded to the max as well, on top of being a term to make it not worth the while of the Predators.

I think we're talking at least 14-years $110M. Anyone prepared to do that?

Old
06-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Kingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post
No team will offer sheet Weber a multi year contract. They will offer a one year contract as it guarantees Nashville will not match(well almost guarantees) because he would then walk for nothing in a year.
And you risk losing your assets for nothing. Are the team willing to give up 4 firsts for 1 year of Weber service?

But if such offer does happen, you can almost guarantee an under the table handshake by Weber and the organization for the future years. Wouldn't be too shocking though as under the table handshakes go on every year

Old
06-16-2012, 07:27 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackattack View Post
Vancouver would, and has the pieces to get a deal done if they don't offersheet. Also, if it's clear that Weber doesn't want to stay in Nashville long term, a team could offersheet him for one year. If Nashville matched, they'd get him for a year, but he'd walk away for nothing next summer due to the fact you can't trade a player for a year after you match their offersheet. Any team could put them in a very tight bind, where they'd pretty much just have to accept the first round picks. For a team like Vancouver that probably has a few more years of contention left, giving up four mid-20 picks isn't much at all for the best defenceman in the world. Especially when they have other assets that could net picks back and have found other ways to get good young players.
No GM will offer sheet Weber a one year contract.

The player has to actually "sign" the offer sheet in order for the team to have to "match" it.

If a GM is going to offer sheet Weber it will be for a multi year deal.

Why give up 4 1st round picks if you could lose the player to FA in a year?

Closed Thread