HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What team has the goodies to offer sheet Shea Weber??

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomander Rake View Post
Rumour has it that everyone wants to play in Vancouver.
Well...the same thing was said about Hamhuis...and he not only signed, but below market value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Keep in mind you have to give him an offer that Nashville likely wouldn't match.

If you think he is one of the 3 or 4 best defensemen in the game, 4 1st round picks is a no-brainer to give up. It's basically 1 to get him, 1 to have him before he would have been a UFA, and then 2 encompassing the rest of the contract.

How do you make sure you get him via offer sheet though? You need to make sure it's a completely insane offer. Nashville will gladly take someone else doing their work for an 8-year $64M contract.

It's got to be front-loaded to the max as well, on top of being a term to make it not worth the while of the Predators.

I think we're talking at least 14-years $110M. Anyone prepared to do that?
Bingo. That is big, big money. I know it's Weber...but the offer sheet route would destroy a team, where as a trade you might only be screwed for the next year or two, not going 4 years without a first round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Weber will be a Flyer. He was born to wear orange and black.
Well, if you want to give up Giroux+....

Old
06-17-2012, 01:53 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

vCash: 500
I dont think anyone will offer sheet him since Nashville will match. If Suter leaves, i expect Weber is gone too. Just wait it out.

Old
06-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Jonavision
5th line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Know View Post
What's all this about 4 first round picks?

Why not sign him to a one year 7.8 million dollar contract, which would be two first-round picks, a 2nd and a third? Why give up 4 first rounders?

Nashville matches and he leaves as a UFA next year for nothing. They fail to match and they get the above. If they match they can't trade him for one year, so you give him the offer July 1st.

Or better yet, like has happened in the past, float out that you're willing to sign a player to an offer sheet, and then negotiate with the GM.
Are you allowed to sign an extension afterwards? I see the league interfering as CBA contravention. It appears that a team would have a deal in place to do this. Otherwise it is a flattering and hopeful offer. I do believe Weber is worth the risk. If he doesn't resign though it can really hurt your team.

The other risk is that Weber doesn't make your team as great as you expect (think Kessel) and you give high draft picks to Nashville for 2 years and great mid picks for another 2.

Old
06-17-2012, 03:49 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Well...the same thing was said about Hamhuis...and he not only signed, but below market value.

Bingo. That is big, big money. I know it's Weber...but the offer sheet route would destroy a team, where as a trade you might only be screwed for the next year or two, not going 4 years without a first round pick.

Well, if you want to give up Giroux+....
I needed a good laugh, thanks for that

Old
06-17-2012, 04:26 PM
umad

Quote:
I needed a good laugh, thanks for that
Well, a signed Weber wouldn't be that far off compared to Giroux value wise.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:36 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
Assuming he gets to FA. I doubt many teams are seriously considering a offer sheet simply because they would basically be black listing themselves from other GMs.
Exactly...no GMs are going the offer sheet anymore. Ever since the Burke-Lowe thing it's taboo among GMs. They may talk all they want about it being in the CBA and they don't mind using it, but it'll be a desperate GM that tries it again....

Old
06-17-2012, 08:17 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by umad View Post
Well, a signed Weber wouldn't be that far off compared to Giroux value wise.
We're not talking about a signed weber, we're talking about an rfa weber who will most likely be a ufa next season and who may not want to sign long term with the predators.

And I wouldn't trade Claude Giroux for a signed weber, regardless. Claude Giroux has the most valuable contract in the league, and trading him for anyone in the league, let alone weber (sans Crosby or Malkin) would make our team worse.

Old
06-17-2012, 09:27 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

Why not sign him to a one year 7.8 million dollar contract, which would be two first-round picks, a 2nd and a third? Why give up 4 first rounders?

Nashville matches and he leaves as a UFA next year for nothing. They fail to match and they get the above. If they match they can't trade him for one year, so you give him the offer July 1st.

Or better yet, like has happened in the past, float out that you're willing to sign a player to an offer sheet, and then negotiate with the GM.
First off Weber would have to sign a one year contract and the plan you are outlining here is pretty underhanded and GM's would take notice of the team pulling that kind of stuff and I have a feeling that they would have a few offer sheets like this coming their way. The other GMs would probably be pretty angry.

Old
06-17-2012, 09:36 PM
tuckrr

Quote:

Exactly what id do.

Nashville is learning a valuable lesson (in suter)...its better to get something than nothing.

Old
06-18-2012, 05:03 AM
mackattack

Quote:
Hmm, I think you meant blue and green. He's going to be that #1 defenceman Vancouver's never had.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:04 AM
HiddenInLight

I think the only team that Buffalo would do that to is Edmonton when it comes time to start signing their young skilled guys, just as a nice middle finger for the Vanek offer sheet.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Quote:
Keep in mind you have to give him an offer that Nashville likely wouldn't match.

If you think he is one of the 3 or 4 best defensemen in the game, 4 1st round picks is a no-brainer to give up. It's basically 1 to get him, 1 to have him before he would have been a UFA, and then 2 encompassing the rest of the contract.

How do you make sure you get him via offer sheet though? You need to make sure it's a completely insane offer. Nashville will gladly take someone else doing their work for an 8-year $64M contract.

It's got to be front-loaded to the max as well, on top of being a term to make it not worth the while of the Predators.

That's wizard status right here, ladies and gents.
Quote:
Almost

Old
07-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Almost
GKJ is one smart dude

Old
07-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Almost
Wow GKJ nailed it, year, money and even the front loading part.... Maybe Holmgren reads HFBoards?

Old
07-21-2012, 12:37 AM
PPPower

Quote:

i'm amazed....

Old
07-21-2012, 12:39 AM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Wow GKJ nailed it, year, money and even the front loading part.... Maybe Holmgren reads HFBoards?
Congratulations to GKJ for his clairvoyance, I think it's time to put the thread to rest.

Closed Thread