HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Non-SoCal Kings Fans

Old
06-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

vCash: 500
Non-SoCal Kings Fans

I've mailed out quite few packages to Kings fans lately and more than 2/3rds were to fans not near Los Angeles, where I reside. Obviously boards will attract more non-LA'ers as I'm sure there are much fewer Kings fans outside of LA so this board is maybe the only place to talk Kings Hockey.

Just out of curiousity and for fun, tell me (and the rest of the So Cal'ers on here) as a Kings fan not in LA, how you wound up rooting for our little team here in Southern California.

Thanks!

- R
.>|<.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Ron
Kings Fan Since 1967

Been a Kings fan since a couple of months after they came into the league, since I was 9 in 1967 and caught a game on TV in late 1967.

I don't have a team jersey because I didn't want to single out one particular player I liked...I always liked the entire team. If I were to choose one (been thinking about it), it would be Kopitar.

However, I was watching the replay of the celebration and apparently some fans are wearing the number "67" to signify they have been fans since the beginning...that interested me. I might go for that.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:42 PM
MxK1NGS

First things first, I am 17 years old so while I never witnessed the "Glory Gretzky Days" I was in attendence during "Frenzy in Figuroa" when I was 6.(Sad that Frenzy on Figueroa was the highlight of the decade) I probably really started watching the Kings and knew what was going on when I was 5. I lived in LA still for most of my life but moved in 2005 to Dallas(Sadly). Ever since then(7-8 years or so), I probably missed a total of 3-4 games. My dad, along with many fans on here, started to follow the Kings when Gretzky came to LA. Being born in '95, I sadly never saw the Kings first Stanley Cup run but I was definitely born a Kings fan.

Experiencing many dreadful years in the last decade, the Kings kicked off this decade with a STANLEY CUP! And I expect a few more to come our way soon(HOPEFULLY).
WHAT ELSE?

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:12 PM
ukyo

I am an LA transplant.

I became a fan back in I think '88 when Prime Ticket got included in the default cable package for my area.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:16 PM
CTKingsFan
June 11th 2012

Grew up in Connecticut just outside of Hartford and was originally a Hartford Whalers fan. After they left I didn't really have a team and just sorta bandwagon teams. Including the Kings in 2001. Few years later I moved to Los Angeles and went to my first Kings game, the moment I walked into the arena and saw the ice I knew the Kings were my team. It just felt right. Had that magic of when I walked into the civic center in Hartford as a kid. Been to several other NHL arenas before Staples, but never got that feeling.

Before I knew it I was watching every game on TV and becoming a hardcore fan. Hearing Bob Miller's voice every night made that an easy transaction.

Although I now live back in Connecticut. I still stay up late to watch every single Kings game (missed only two games this season, due to a black out in CT). I make a annual trip out to LA when Kings have a long home stand and I see them whenever they play the Devils, Rangers, Islanders, or Bruins. I just came back from LA a few days ago.... That... That was a good trip!

My buddy asked me earlier this season if the Whalers ever came back to Hartford would you become a fan... I said "Not a chance in hell! I'm a Kings fan for life!"

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 06-17-2012 at 11:43 PM.
CTKingsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:37 PM
KingsFanInRI
Never EVER forget

I was born in Boston, but I grew up in So-Cal (Montclair, La Puente, Rowland Heights, La Puente again and Norwalk). Moved back home in '94 so I thank God every day for Center Ice. Always been a hockey fan, but became a Kings fan in 1978.

KingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

I figured the majority would be transplants that origianally grew up in LA as Kings Fans and then moved ... which brings me to why I'm posting, I'm getting older and finding a nice retirement spot is something that's been more and more on my mind, and until recently I figured well most likely Big Bear, gives me the Lake and Mountains and a little snow, all of which I wanted ... PLUS I got to stay close in case the Kings ever made a serious Cup Run and I could go see the the games and parade LIVE ... WELL GO FIGURE they done WON THE CUP THIS YEAR !

So I guess I can move where ever is cheaper and has those quality's I desire HA ! thanks Kings

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Shellz

I became a fan in 08.. (yeah, I know.. I'm kind of lucky, haha) My first hockey game was the first time I ever really knew about hockey. I'm from a little town in central california.. so, hockey was not popular at all. I was living in LA at the time. After that first game, I guess I kind of fell in love. (even though they lost!)

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:50 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

I live in NYC now, but I grew up in Bakersfield, CA in the 80s and early 90s. We had an old TV that had 13 channels (no remote, no HD no HBO, no espn, just your basic channels.) Since Bako is boring as all heck, i'd stay in on Fri nights and watch the Kings. Luc, Carson, Gretzky, etc. Grew up on Bob Miller. Learned everything I know about hockey from Bob and Jim.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

I am also a transplant. Lived in Orange County until 2003 when I left for school. Came back for awhile but ended up back in the midwest a couple of years ago. Other than my family and friends, going to Kings games is what I miss most about SoCal.

Been able to see the Kings in Chicago, Detroit, St. Paul, St. Louis and Nashville in the past couple of years, but it's not the same seeing your team on the road. Although it will be a lot sweeter this season.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Malakian#13

Send a message via Yahoo to Malakian#13
Yep moved to Seattle a couple of years ago after becoming a kings fan in 93. Sucks to have missed the parade .. guess its worth it with all the lakes mountains and the little bit of snow we get though.

Malakian#13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Shootmaster_44

You will find a handful of Kings fans and people with Kings as their second favourite team here in Alberta/Saskatchewan. I became a Kings fan August 9, 1988, the day my hero Wayne Gretzky was traded from Edmonton to LA. I was 6 years old at the time, so when your hero is traded you follow him along. When he was traded again from LA to St. Louis, I was 14 or so and by then it was you bailed on my team good riddance.

Once Gretzky left LA, it became quite hard to follow the Kings. My following of the Kings was the local sports page in the paper every morning and hearing the scores as part of the news on the radio each morning. It was always a treat when LA would play Montreal, even if I had to watch the game in French, I could see the Kings play. Granted, until the late 90s, RDS was unavailable in Saskatoon, so I had to hope the Kings would play Montreal on a Saturday night. In fact, I pay $2.95/month to subscribe to RDS simply for that one game per season. Once Rogers Sportsnet came to Canada in 1998 and they signed local deals with the Western NHL clubs, it meant I could see the Kings games against Edmonton and Calgary.

It was about 2006 or so when I started listening to Nick Nickson and Daryl Evans radio broadcasts over the net. I'm not sure why it took me until then to do so, but it did. NHL Centre Ice wasn't available (and in fact is still not available) on the cable system my parents' subscribed to in Saskatoon. Here in Lloydminster, I could subscribe to it but sadly it is too pricey for me to get on top of my nearly $100/month cable bill. So I still get the Versus games (since TSN2 shows them all), the HNIC games (I think the Kings were on twice this year), the RDS game against Montreal and the 8 games against Calgary and Edmonton each year. On occasion, TSN will show Kings games. However, generally they seem to be against Edmonton or Calgary, so it means I don't get any extra games. I live 7 blocks too far West or I would be inside the Jets region and would get their one game too. My cable company usually also has Centre Ice on a free preview in October, so I can see usually the whole month. I also occasionally seek out streams of games, not often since I'm not a huge fan of watching a postage stamp on my computer or a super grainy full screen image.

All the same, it was awesome that I was able to watch every single game of their playoff run this year. I remember the 2002 playoffs where I was only able to see Game 1 and Game 4 I believe since TSN and CBC had no interest in the Kings, so I was only able to see what FOX carried. Suffice to say I envy those of you in the SoCal area that can watch every single Kings game every year with Bob and Jim calling them. Seems to me even if I had NHL Centre Ice, I wouldn't get them for all games. Most of the time I believe it only carries the home team broadcast (unless it is a game on MSG then they carry Bob and Jim since MSG games aren't in HD).

My Dad's 2nd favourite team after the Habs is the Kings as well. However, he became a Kings fan when the Habs traded Rogie Vachon (his favourite goalie) to LA in the early 70s. However, he is a Habs fan first and foremost, suffice to say the '93 Cup Finals was not a happy time for me around our house.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I am also a transplant. Lived in Orange County until 2003 when I left for school. Came back for awhile but ended up back in the midwest a couple of years ago. Other than my family and friends, going to Kings games is what I miss most about SoCal.

Been able to see the Kings in Chicago, Detroit, St. Paul, St. Louis and Nashville in the past couple of years, but it's not the same seeing your team on the road. Although it will be a lot sweeter this season.
The only place on the road that is fun to watch the Kings is Edmonton. I tend to go up for the games there and inevitably someone sitting near me asks the question "why are you a Kings fan?" Typically, they are 30s or older and I always respond "August 9, 1988." Every Oilers fan that age or older remembers that date and you can see a little piece of them die all over again when they go through the Gretzky trade again. It amuses me greatly.

I've seen the Kings on the road in Edmonton and Calgary and have been to Staples Center once. I wish I had made contact with you guys before I went to Staples. It was like the pilgrimage to the Holy Land for me. I had a permagrin on my face from the time I got to LA Live until the Hawks scored their first goal that night. Even though they lost 2-1 (and incidentally I missed the only Kings goal being in the bathroom, damn those in-game promos), it was the most fun hockey game I have ever been to. As a nearly lifelong Kings fan, finally getting to see your team play at home and take in the sights and sounds of your home arena for the first time is amazing. I may have been 29 years old when I did it, but it felt like I was 6 years old going to my first hockey game all over again. I was just that excited and pumped.

SoCalers take it from me, don't take the fact you can go to Staples 41 times per year plus preseason and playoffs, lightly. For those of us from far away, it is a special place that holds much mystique. I plan to come back as often as possible, but if I never make it back there I will always cherish the memories of the one time I got to see the Kings play at home. However, I better come yearly now since the one year I see them play at Staples Center, they win the Cup.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:27 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I moved from L.A. to Colorado Springs three years ago. Was a season ticket holder before I moved.

Thank God for Center Ice.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:29 AM
kynen

It's very simple for me. When I became interested in sports/hockey at around 12-13 I just picked the team with the most famous finn in it, Jari Kurri. His partner-in-crime #99 didn't lessen the appeal so Kings it was. I collected hockeycards during that time too (92-96) which only deepened my interest in the team and the league, so those cards I got from you, ror, were extra sentimental

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:29 AM
TheSlovenian

Because of Kopitar .

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:34 AM
DontgoZiggy

I began following hockey only about 10 years ago. I started watching when we beat Detroit but lost to the Avs in the playoffs. I have absolutely no attachment to LA, never even visited the city, only been in transit at the airport. Two of my friends liked the Devils and Flyers, I thought i'd pick the underdog in those playoffs, the Kings. I followed them ever since.

Hockey is an extremely minority sport where I live (Christchurch, New Zealand) but I love it.

I was lucky enough to see them live a few years back in London at the o2 arena, two games against the quacks, awesome, The wife and I were even on kiss cam.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:44 AM
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
When I was 2, I emulated everything Gretz did on the ice with a foam stick and puck in front of the TV. Dad had season tix to the Sharks from the first season until the lockout. Rob Blake became my fave player and when I started ice hockey at 5, played two years of D before switching to goalie. Emulated him on the ice, wore a Kings jersey to practice, coaches called me Rob Blake, and I scored 9 goals a game. My friend scored 8. Just been a fan of the team forever. Dad used to take me 6 hrs one way to games for my bday, stay in a hotel, and drive back the next day. He actually let me miss school to do it once or twice. Not liked that was a big deal. I missed whole weeks at a time to play back in the day. But yeah....Gretz got me started. Been a fan since.

cnshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Y'all ... SO YOUNG lol

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
I live in NYC now, but I grew up in Bakersfield, CA in the 80s and early 90s. We had an old TV that had 13 channels (no remote, no HD no HBO, no espn, just your basic channels.) Since Bako is boring as all heck, i'd stay in on Fri nights and watch the Kings. Luc, Carson, Gretzky, etc. Grew up on Bob Miller. Learned everything I know about hockey from Bob and Jim.
Lot of people in Kern County where Bakersfield is in are fans of LA teams and consider those teams as "home" teams. Must be the only place not LA that likes to associate with LA, lol.

- R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynen View Post
It's very simple for me. When I became interested in sports/hockey at around 12-13 I just picked the team with the most famous finn in it, Jari Kurri. His partner-in-crime #99 didn't lessen the appeal so Kings it was. I collected hockeycards during that time too (92-96) which only deepened my interest in the team and the league, so those cards I got from you, ror, were extra sentimental
I'm sneaky like that! There aren't many cards of Kurri in a Kings uniform. I remember though he was such a dominant center that year, 92-93.

- R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
When I was 2, I emulated everything Gretz did on the ice with a foam stick and puck in front of the TV. Dad had season tix to the Sharks from the first season until the lockout. Rob Blake became my fave player and when I started ice hockey at 5, played two years of D before switching to goalie. Emulated him on the ice, wore a Kings jersey to practice, coaches called me Rob Blake, and I scored 9 goals a game. My friend scored 8. Just been a fan of the team forever. Dad used to take me 6 hrs one way to games for my bday, stay in a hotel, and drive back the next day. He actually let me miss school to do it once or twice. Not liked that was a big deal. I missed whole weeks at a time to play back in the day. But yeah....Gretz got me started. Been a fan since.
I can see it now...your dad to your mom..."remember when our son was 2 years old and scored 92 goals that one time?"

- R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I became a fan in 08.. (yeah, I know.. I'm kind of lucky, haha) My first hockey game was the first time I ever really knew about hockey. I'm from a little town in central california.. so, hockey was not popular at all. I was living in LA at the time. After that first game, I guess I kind of fell in love. (even though they lost!)
I have something to say about this...I met a pair of young women after the game (the winning game 6) who I bumped in to when I stumbled to the garage entrance. They were waiting for the team. After talking to them a bit, they started apologizing over and over when I asked them the "how long" question because it was only three years they had been fans. At first I thought I was being magnanimous by just going "it's cool. " But then I realized much later that I had only been a fan for three years (very hardcore though) when Gretzky, Robitaille and Co. went to the finals, and that the situations were very comparative.

I think it's no secret that on HF, I've been maybe the biggest supporter/encourager/enabler of the 2012 Kings playoff bandwagoners. I believe many, maybe most of us "longtime" fans, the ones who bleed black and silver, were bandwagon fans of Gretzky coming to LA. The team just wasn't relevant at all back in the purple and gold days with the Dodgers, Angels, Rams, later the Raiders and the Lakers in town, all winners and all in the top three team sports that Americans care about. So in a sense, I'm a bandwagon fan too, who stayed. And I'm hoping a lot of these guys stay too, either rooting for the Kings as their new #1 or making us their 2nd team.

As a Kings fan, I find it very satisfying that the team is now relevant to so many more people. I always wanted that respect for this team (rather than for just Gretzky).

- R
.>|<.

Last edited by Rorschach: 06-18-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:56 AM
maz-23-

Send a message via ICQ to maz-23- Send a message via MSN to maz-23- Send a message via Yahoo to maz-23-
I think it was 2009 when i went to my first Kings Game, since i have some Family living in Central Ohio and was following the Blue Jackets at that Time. Being on a Business Trip in Los Angeles i took the opportunity to see the CBJ play the Kings in Staples.
End Result was 6-2 Kings, and after a couple of nightmare prone nights of one Stralman turnover i just realized i was hooked.

Since I am currently living in Europe, the last couple of weeks were a little rough, but thanks to Flextime at work and some 4 HR nights i was able to catch all games on via Game Center.

maz-23- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:01 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

2001, visiting my sister who lived in l.a. Her friend worked for the kings and got us some free tickets. Saw the kings play the sharks and the islanders. But before that was NHL 95 on Sega mega drive. Kings had the best jerseys. Live in northern Australia and never met a hockey fan since I left the states. Lucky I found this board in 07

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:04 AM
SouthernJ
Rookie User

I've been a fan this entire run of playoffs, which has lasted about the same time as I've been a fan of the sport. Missed the Thrashers by a season. But I picked the Kings because they work like a unit, which is really what I wanted to see in a team. They were playing hard and fast, with a lot of grit and determination. Penner said it best on that Hockey News video, that everyone contributed on this. I even wanted them to beat the Preds if it came to that, a team I'm connected to by geography, because of the work ethic Kings displayed. LA beats the Preds on cheering for me. Even if they lost, I would be this invested. When I feel like vomiting over a non-goal or win, I'm pretty sure that I'm a serious fan of any team. Too bad they're not the local group so I'll have to depend on the kindness of strangers for a while longer. Never seen them play in person, probably won't for awhile yet but they earned my respect and that goes a long way with me.

Been to LA once and it was a pretty decent trip. Oddly enough, degree programs for grad school keep being located in So Cal so I may be a transplant in a couple years (around fall 2014).

SouthernJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:27 AM
KingsFan7824

Born in Columbus in 78, moved to Philly in the early 80's. Started playing street hockey at like 8 or 9 with a couple kids that had recently moved from LA, and I didn't know what hockey was. I was a Flyer fan at first, but they broke my heart when they lost to Montreal in the conference finals in 89. I vowed to never be a Flyer fan again through the tears. I was a big Star Wars fan as a kid, and I heard somewhere that there was a team in LA with a guy with the first name Luc.

I remember my mom letting me stay up late on the couple of nights a year when the Flyers would play the Kings in LA. It always felt exotic. No logo at center ice, staying up late, the high flying Kings, it felt like a different world. I remember getting the Sports Illustrated issue with Sandstrom on the cover after they beat Calgary.

It was tough to follow the Kings at that time. Across the country, no Center Ice or anything like that, but I would check the box scores when I could. Then my mom saw an issue of The Hockey News with Robitaille on the cover in October or November of 1992, and then I asked if I could get The Hockey News more often. Now I was getting some actual Kings information. The team scoring, the little team articles they had, etc. ESPN2 started up, and they had a lot of Kings games on over the years, but it was here and there, like once a month or so. Then the internet came along. I remember the first time I got to listen to a Kings game on the radio over the internet, somewhere in the late 90's. It was very weird to be able to follow the Kings live on a game to game basis. Then I got Center Ice for the first time in January of 2006, and I could watch every Kings game. The first game I saw was a game in Boston, Frolov had a hattrick. I believe the next game was the Buffalo game where the Kings lost 10-1 or whatever it was.

I would come to know heartbreak with the Kings as well. This time I stuck with the team though.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:09 AM
TROLLPOSO

Grew up an Islander fan during the glory years. However once the late 80's hit it was a dark time (the first of many for the Isles) making it painful to watch the team on daily basis. Then Gretzky got traded to the Kings and they picked up Hrudey one of my favorite Isles in net so the Kings team piqued my interest.

At that point I started watching the Kings games (infrequently cause this was before NHL center ice) but did adopt them as my Western Conf team. Of course 1993 was a doubly painful year as the Turgeon hit by Hunter and McSorley's stick knocked my two favorite teams out of possibly winning the Cup.

Been a fan ever since.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote