HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free agents are coming...free agents are coming !!!

Old
06-16-2012, 11:09 PM
HABsurde

vCash: 500
Free agents are coming...free agents are coming !!!

in 6 days, the draft, in two weeks, free agents....

who should we target???

I don't think there is anyone in the FA list that could jump on our first 2 lines ( Yeah, Semin and Parise could, but let's get real people) And no one can take 1 pair duty on defense (Then again, there is Suter, but let stay in our normal universe shall we

So what we can do is had depth to our 3rd and 4th line (Which we definetly need anyway) and on D

I made a list of people we can try to get, if we get 1 or 2 at the forward position and 1 on D, it will be a good start

so for forward, in no particular orders:

Adam Burish
Paul Gaustad
Brandon Prust
Taylor Pyatt
Tanner Glass
Dustin Penner
P.A. Parenteau
Steve Bernier
Brad Boyes
Lee Stempniak
Travis Moen

I'm sure they will make offer for Parenteau or Bernier (franco factor) if they want to take a gamble offensively, they can take a chance on Boyes or try to swoop Jokinen from Calgary. If they want feisty they might take a chance on Stempniak, Prust, Glass, or even Tootoo big bodies are Gaustad, Pyatt, Penner

Now on D

Scott Hannan
Cory Sarich
Bryan Allen
Shane O'brien
Jason Garrison
Francis Bouillon
Matt Carle
Barrett Jackman
Dennis Wideman

They might give a shout at Bouillon as he is Therrien's bi%?h. Bigger bodies or defensive type like Hannan, Allen, Jackman. More offensive like Garrison, Carle, Wideman

So who would you like? who do you think we might have a shot at?

my choices

Gaustad
Pyatt
Prust

on D

O'brien
Allen
Wideman

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:22 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Little to no interest in Gaustad who will be getting overpaid this Summer. If we're spending that money for a 4th line center I'd WAY rather spend the money needed to get Jay McClement. Much smarter player.

Really hope Parenteau doesn't come.

I wonder if Parise could be swayed by cash? What if the Habs offered him 20 million over 2 seasons? Hehehehe

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Problem is, we do have a lot of healthy bodies... I just hope Bergevin won't be scared to sign someone in case he can't trade another player.

Out of all of those, Gaustad would be an ideal 4th line center (although he can play 3rd line), and I hope they sign Moen back. On D, IMO, we need a rugged, stay-at-home D, someone like Allen would be great, and O'Brien as 6th/7th D. Kaberle/Diaz/Weber ? I'd keep Diaz out of them all, he was pretty decent in his zone, while bringing competent puck moving skills. IMO, he'll be better this year.

We need grit, and some size on D, that's for sure...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:33 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Little to no interest in Gaustad who will be getting overpaid this Summer. If we're spending that money for a 4th line center I'd WAY rather spend the money needed to get Jay McClement. Much smarter player.

Really hope Parenteau doesn't come.

I wonder if Parise could be swayed by cash? What if the Habs offered him 20 million over 2 seasons? Hehehehe
Gaustad is a 3rd liner though, not a 4th liner. I'd like to sign him, and Moen. And a stay at home Dman I guess, while at it.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:37 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

I'm sold on Bryan Allen and I wouldn't mind Bouillon coming back.

Don't think Moen is heading to free agency, but you never know. Same for P.A. Parenteau, one can dream even though he wouldn't produce as much in Montreal. He'd be a hard working 2nd/3rd liner. (The opposite of AK, hehe)

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:47 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

I have a feeling Parenteau is going to be a Hab. Like it or not I think Bergevin wants to shut up everyone about the french factor early and getting a good top6 winger from quebec does just that. Still not sure he'd be the right fit but I'd still rather have Parenteau on the top lines than anyone not named Parise.

For the rest I'll echo my fellow hfers here : signing Gaustad would be nice and Moen needs to be re-signed. I think Gaustad would be more than a 3rd liner and imho Eller needs to learn to play on the wing. Both could be part of a super defensive shut down line. You can put Moen or Bourque on that line. Bourque adds an offensive touch obviously, if he gets his act together.

On defense its imperative we sign a gritty defensemen that is reliable in his own zone and can play at least 2nd wave PK. I hope its not Bouillon however. Good guy but he's old and small with little offensive upside. Sure he works hard, tries and is actually pretty effective but we have a better, stronger and bigger version of that with Gorges already.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:49 PM
HabFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I'm sold on Bryan Allen and I wouldn't mind Bouillon coming back.

Don't think Moen is heading to free agency, but you never know. Same for P.A. Parenteau, one can dream even though he wouldn't produce as much in Montreal. He'd be a hard working 2nd/3rd liner. (The opposite of AK, hehe)
Elliotte Friedman reports that it is unlikely that the New York Islanders will re-sign forward P.A. Parenteau.** The 29-year-old right winger is slated to become an unrestricted free* agent on July 1.* He had a salary of $1.25M last season and tallied 67* points while playing with John Tavares.

Coles production was predicted to drop without Staal. Look what happened there. Even though he was playing with Tavares those 67 points Parenteau tallied last season
required work on his part. Parenteau could be a solid acquisition.

HabFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:59 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabFanatic View Post
Elliotte Friedman reports that it is unlikely that the New York Islanders will re-sign forward P.A. Parenteau.** The 29-year-old right winger is slated to become an unrestricted free* agent on July 1.* He had a salary of $1.25M last season and tallied 67* points while playing with John Tavares.

Coles production was predicted to drop without Staal. Look what happened there. Even though he was playing with Tavares those 67 points Parenteau tallied last season
Realistically we could hope for 20 goals and 45 to 65 points (with 55 being what he'd likely score). This would be good and better than AK and unless Bergevin seriously overpays I'm sure he'd be of great help.

Having superstars is nice but the real secret to a having contending team's is having a lot of scoring depth. Two 30 goal scorers and nothing else does not cut it as we saw last year, we need more 20 goal scorers. Parenteau and Plekanec can score goals and pass, I'm sure they'd get along and both push for 20-25 as would Gionta. Get Eller some good PP time and he might get close too and Desharnais can shoot more.

There is no way* we miss the playoffs with five players scoring 20+ goals, a good/great goalie and hopefully a better defense.

*I know knowing our luck we might suffer a billion injuries, the dreadful return of zombie Gauthier firing Pearn and our coaches again and an unexpected second worse day in habs history. Just speculating here!

Old
06-17-2012, 12:06 AM
JSBach

I would love to land Pyatt, but I think he wants to stay in small markets. That's something from which you never recover, and Montreal would probably be too stressful for him.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:07 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabFanatic View Post

Parenteau will want too many years and has neither the size, position, or goal soring acumen to be giving him the 4.5+ for 4 or so years at this point in time.

I like the fact that Gionta, Bourque and Plekanec could all be 25 goal guys for the Habs and Eller and Desharnais could flirt with 20 as well.

Also I know a lot of guys will re-sign between now and July 1st 2013 but it looks like either way there will be some really good talent to sign then. And it will give the Habs another year to see what they have with their young guys in the system.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:08 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fall of Troy View Post
I would love to land Pyatt, but I think he wants to stay in small markets. That's something from which you never recover, and Montreal would probably be too stressful for him.
I know he "cost" the Devils the cup, but I wouldn't mind Bernier. Seems like he's developed into a halfway decent 2 way guy and he has some size and could possibly get 15 goals. Won't cost much at all either. Plus he's French

Old
06-17-2012, 12:11 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I know he "cost" the Devils the cup, but I wouldn't mind Bernier. Seems like he's developed into a halfway decent 2 way guy and he has some size and could possibly get 15 goals. Won't cost much at all either. Plus he's French
I see Bernier as a worse Bourque. No way I'd sign him.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Optimus Price

I'd like Parenteau for the right amount. I'd also take back Latendresse and ship Bourque out if possible. I would also love a Jackman-Subban pair in the back end.

Optimus Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:13 AM
HabFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Realistically we could hope for 20 goals and 45 to 65 points (with 55 being what he'd likely score). This would be good and better than AK and unless Bergevin seriously overpays I'm sure he'd be of great help.

Having superstars is nice but the real secret to a having contending team's is having a lot of scoring depth. Two 30 goal scorers and nothing else does not cut it as we saw last year, we need more 20 goal scorers. Parenteau and Plekanec can score goals and pass, I'm sure they'd get along and both push for 20-25 as would Gionta. Get Eller some good PP time and he might get close too and Desharnais can shoot more.

There is no way we miss the playoffs with five players scoring 20+ goals, a good/great goalie and hopefully a better defense.
Very true. Given Bergevin's creation of new positions in the head office, it seems he's intent on ensuring he has the proper man power to get the job done effectively.
I see no reason for his shake up to end in the office. The same theory applies to the on ice product and secondary goal support is a huge part of a teams success. Aside from Therriens hiring I have been pretty pleased with Bergevins moves to date, let's hope this translates to on ice moves as well.

HabFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Guilliam

Parise is a dream but You still have to kick the tires on it. He'd be a perfect LW for Plekanec.

If not I wouldn't be opposed to Parenteau but not for more than 4 million per year. I would be tempted to take chance on Penner or Stempniak as a plan C or D. Penner is lazy at times but it would improve the size of the team and he can rise his level of play in the playoffs.

On D, if we're going to keep Kaberle, I'd like Sarich as stay-at-home RD, I think he could complement him well and they could form a good 3rd pairing. If we somehow get rid of Kaberle, a spot opens on LD and Jackman or Allen could be the right guy.

McClement would be my target as 4th line C.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:03 AM
le_sean

Is Parenteau gritty? Because I never thought of him as gritty but he had 89 PIMs last season.

I wouldn't mind him since he would help the PP, but he's a RW, and the Habs already have their two top line guys: Cole and Gionta. It would be pointless to sign a guy for $4 million+ to play on the 3rd line. It's not very good value.

Prust would be great for this team, but I doubt NYR let him go, he's a popular guy. In that case, I'd go after Tanner Glass. 246 hits last season.

Another big hole is at LW. Bourque is just too inconsistent to rely on for a Top 6 position. I'd like to see the Habs take a chance on Kristian Huselius who was hurt all last year. He's an underrated player, good for 60+ points a season. I think Bourque can play RW too, if the plan is to re-sign Moen.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:10 AM
straka91*

Barch as a 13th forward. Ill be pleased. Jackman for a physical top 4 D-man.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:23 AM
PricePkPatch

People, stop saying silly things like "for the right price" or "not too many years"

It's a UFA bidding process. If we win in, it's literally because we will have overpaid/overlenghted the contract.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
in 6 days, the draft, in two weeks, free agents....

who should we target???

I don't think there is anyone in the FA list that could jump on our first 2 lines ( Yeah, Semin and Parise could, but let's get real people) And no one can take 1 pair duty on defense (Then again, there is Suter, but let stay in our normal universe shall we

So what we can do is had depth to our 3rd and 4th line (Which we definetly need anyway) and on D

I made a list of people we can try to get, if we get 1 or 2 at the forward position and 1 on D, it will be a good start

so for forward, in no particular orders:

Adam Burish
Paul Gaustad
Brandon Prust
Taylor Pyatt
Tanner Glass
Dustin Penner
P.A. Parenteau
Steve Bernier
Brad Boyes
Lee Stempniak
Travis Moen

I'm sure they will make offer for Parenteau or Bernier (franco factor) if they want to take a gamble offensively, they can take a chance on Boyes or try to swoop Jokinen from Calgary. If they want feisty they might take a chance on Stempniak, Prust, Glass, or even Tootoo big bodies are Gaustad, Pyatt, Penner

Now on D

Scott Hannan
Cory Sarich
Bryan Allen
Shane O'brien
Jason Garrison
Francis Bouillon
Matt Carle
Barrett Jackman
Dennis Wideman

They might give a shout at Bouillon as he is Therrien's bi%?h. Bigger bodies or defensive type like Hannan, Allen, Jackman. More offensive like Garrison, Carle, Wideman

So who would you like? who do you think we might have a shot at?

my choices

Gaustad
Pyatt
Prust

on D

O'brien
Allen
Wideman
I's like to add players who are underlined (obviously not all of them), I don't want any part of the guys in italics, bolded players are question marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Is Parenteau gritty? Because I never thought of him as gritty but he had 89 PIMs last season.

I wouldn't mind him since he would help the PP, but he's a RW, and the Habs already have their two top line guys: Cole and Gionta. It would be pointless to sign a guy for $4 million+ to play on the 3rd line. It's not very good value.

Prust would be great for this team, but I doubt NYR let him go, he's a popular guy. In that case, I'd go after Tanner Glass. 246 hits last season.

Another big hole is at LW. Bourque is just too inconsistent to rely on for a Top 6 position. I'd like to see the Habs take a chance on Kristian Huselius who was hurt all last year. He's an underrated player, good for 60+ points a season. I think Bourque can play RW too, if the plan is to re-sign Moen.
I think he's more undisciplined than gritty.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
People, stop saying silly things like "for the right price" or "not too many years"

It's a UFA bidding process. If we win in, it's literally because we will have overpaid/overlenghted the contract.
For the most part, I'd rather overpay for a guy like say, Semin, for 2-3 years than give 4-5-6 years of a bloated salary like Columbus did with Wisniewski.

Plus often times the best buys as UFA's are guys coming off a down year. They are not the "sexy" big names that make GM's populay for the summer but they sometimes turn into gold.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:28 AM
theboss*

Omg plz no paranteau plz

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:42 AM
rickthegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I have a feeling Parenteau is going to be a Hab. Like it or not I think Bergevin wants to shut up everyone about the french factor early and getting a good top6 winger from quebec does just that. Still not sure he'd be the right fit but I'd still rather have Parenteau on the top lines than anyone not named Parise.

For the rest I'll echo my fellow hfers here : signing Gaustad would be nice and Moen needs to be re-signed. I think Gaustad would be more than a 3rd liner and imho Eller needs to learn to play on the wing. Both could be part of a super defensive shut down line. You can put Moen or Bourque on that line. Bourque adds an offensive touch obviously, if he gets his act together.

On defense its imperative we sign a gritty defensemen that is reliable in his own zone and can play at least 2nd wave PK. I hope its not Bouillon however. Good guy but he's old and small with little offensive upside. Sure he works hard, tries and is actually pretty effective but we have a better, stronger and bigger version of that with Gorges already.
Pretty much agree with all of the above, but it brings a few question marks : wich,if any of these free agents like Parenteau, Gaustad, Allen and the like would be interested in coming here with a 2 year deal ?... not really interested in having any of these guys taking garanteed roster spots away from our kids on the long run. Also, it seams that we have a chance of keeping Moen, i like your idea of joining Gaustad, Moen and Bourque....that could potentially be a real gritty 3rd line that I would imagine Therrien and Gallant loving .. But where does Gionta ends up in the mix then ?.....not on the top 2 lines again ???
The UFA pool is rather shallow this summer, and most of these guys will be overpaid, so I dont mind giving it a go, but with short term offers, wich I imagine will be refused by these guys....So all in all, I would rather see our kids grow another year, give definetely a shot to someone else than palushaj, and try to make a reasonable offer and keep Moen around for a couple more years....see how that plays out .

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:46 AM
rickthegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

How painly realistic !!!!

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:04 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I dont see a lot in this free agent class..

We will sign a 4th line center. Overpay for an overrated offensive winger and sign a gritty veteran defenseman.

Thats about it. Anybody thinking we will have a chance at Parise or Suter might as well jump off the bridge now.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:12 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I dont see a lot in this free agent class..

We will sign a 4th line center. Overpay for an overrated offensive winger and sign a gritty veteran defenseman.

Thats about it. Anybody thinking we will have a chance at Parise or Suter might as well jump off the bridge now.
What is the thought process on this wonderful statement ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote