HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part VI) - "Kane? Nash? Ryan?"

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 10:19 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
I'd love to get Whitney. News is he would like to stay in Phoenix, but isn't comfortable with the ownership situation. He may re-sign there, but I think he'll get to July 1st. We should try to get him.

Sign Whitney and Schultz, re-sign Del Zotto, Prust, and Biron, and this is a very successful off-season.
I'm 10000000000000% behind this.

Add a cheap veteran RHD as a calming influence on Del Zotto on the third pair.

Maybe a veteran center as well. Like Stoll or Gaustad.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'm 10000000000000% behind this.

Add a cheap veteran RHD as a calming influence on Del Zotto on the third pair.

Maybe a veteran center as well. Like Stoll or Gaustad.
Unfortunately after winning the Cup, I think Stoll stays in LA. But I'd love to get Stoll. He'd make an amazing 3rd line center on this team, pushing Boyle back to the 4th line.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Say what you will about Matt Carle, but if he came cheap, he'd be a good fit on our 3rd pair.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Machinehead
Tampa Bandwagon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Really disappointed in some of the fans here in regards to knowledge of Rick Nash. Look, I know he's getting paid a ton of money, and I don't want to pay what Howson wants to get him. BUT, to suggest that he is in Ryan Callahan's class is a completely idiotic statement. He's MUCH more talented than Callahan. Much bigger, faster and stronger, and the skill levels are incomparable. Sadly for Nash, he's never really gotten a chance to play with guys like Richards, Gaborik, etc. There is NO doubt in my mind that if the NYR got him, he'd score 40 goals at the minimum, maybe even 50.

That being said, there's no way I'd deal Kreider, MDZ or McIlrath for him. I'd be willing to deal Dubi, Stepan, and Erixon, though, fully knowing that weakens us tremendously down the middle. It would be worth it for Nash, and as Stepan showed you during the postseason, he's nothing special and far from replaceable.
When you say nash would pot 40-50 youre speculating. When I say he had 1 more goal than callahan in 6 more games im stating fact.

Im also getting sick of the excuses for nash when gaborik tied his career high in goals in 2010 when erik christensen was our best center. That tells me that nash cant lick gaborik's skates and is making more money than gaborik.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i cant fathom why ppl are so willing to give up MDZ...he was a beast this year. 3 or 4 games to finish the playoffs arent going to change that.

i dont trade MDZ unless another NHL ready defenseman is in the fold.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Stepan turns 22 today. People need more patience.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:26 AM
NYR Viper

Stewart is beyond lazy. He had a coach who demanded better play both with and without the puck (sound familiar) and he absolutely tanked this season.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:27 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
I am not selling them short. If they don't make any changes, they will not go any farther next year than they will this year. I understand not wanting to break up the mold, but we need talent.

You say the Carter wasn't the reason they won the Cup. Honest question. Would they have won the Cup if they didn't make that trade? I say no. So while Carter may not have been the sole reason they won the Cup, he certainly helped. Which is why I want to add someone with talent, such as Radulov.

Would he or someone like him be the reason we could potentially win the Cup? No. Our system and goal tending would. But he would certainly help by scoring big goals, such as Carter.

My point is this. The LA Kings were a much better team once a questionable character with the ability to score goals was added to the team. If you can't see that, than I don't know what to tell you. The parallels between us and the Kings are very, very similar.

Standing pat and hoping scoring increases is not the answer. Adding talent and primary scoring is.
Radulov isn't the guy you want.

There are other options. And they don't need to be Ryan, Nash, or Kane, either.

I agree Carter is a part of it. Of course. But the key cogs were the guys who were already there going through the process. And they had some luck on the way. The #29 team in scoring, and 8th seed that limped into the 8th seed.

There are options. The CBA is expiring. There will be a lockout. And when it breaks, players will be available.

Whitney would provide equal production to Radulov. 60+ points. Short term deal. Provides a lot in the way of leadership and creativity. Its not a sexy transaction. But its an effective one that could be big. He's in fantastic shape. He's ageless.

No reason to blow things up.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:28 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Stewart is beyond lazy. He had a coach who demanded better play both with and without the puck (sound familiar) and he absolutely tanked this season.
Agree.

There's a reason he'd be available.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
i cant fathom why ppl are so willing to give up MDZ...he was a beast this year. 3 or 4 games to finish the playoffs arent going to change that.

i dont trade MDZ unless another NHL ready defenseman is in the fold.
I don't think many people are kicking him out the door, but you have to be realistic here. McDonagh and Staal aren't going anywhere, and MDZ has had very little success on the right-side. If we can get a prime return for him, then you have to pull the trigger.

When I say prime, I mean a Goligoski or Burns-esque kind of return. And yes, I absolutely feel Del Zotto could fetch that kind of bounty.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:32 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Unfortunately after winning the Cup, I think Stoll stays in LA. But I'd love to get Stoll. He'd make an amazing 3rd line center on this team, pushing Boyle back to the 4th line.
You're probably right.

Though, a similar kind of player would be nice.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Carle wants big bucks. The Flyers are still interested in bring him back but not $5M per. All of these free agent D will get big bucks. Carle,Wideman,Garrison,etc. The Rangers can't afford to play in that neighborhood. Suter will get lotto dollars. from DET or MIN.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:33 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Radulov isn't the guy you want.

There are other options. And they don't need to be Ryan, Nash, or Kane, either.

I agree Carter is a part of it. Of course. But the key cogs were the guys who were already there going through the process. And they had some luck on the way. The #29 team in scoring, and 8th seed that limped into the 8th seed.

There are options. The CBA is expiring. There will be a lockout. And when it breaks, players will be available.

Whitney would provide equal production to Radulov. 60+ points. Short term deal. Provides a lot in the way of leadership and creativity. Its not a sexy transaction. But its an effective one that could be big. He's in fantastic shape. He's ageless.

No reason to blow things up.
I'm with you man. I don't want to blow up the team either. We need to add a scorer. I was interested in Radulov due to the fact that he is top 10 in the league talent wise and could be had for peanuts. If he is available for a Christian Thomas and 3rd round pick, you do that trade 10 times out of 10.

Whitney I would be okay with. I would prefer a more long term solution, such as Kane or Ryan, but I'd be okay with Whitney as a stop gap.

I'm confident Sather will acquire a game breaker this offseason. We are truly one game breaking talent away from the Cup IMO. Let's see how this summer plays out.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Agree.

There's a reason he'd be available.
I'll never really understand this. If there wasn't a reason, wouldn't he be unavailable, and hence we wouldn't be talking about him as an option? Are we really expecting a perfect option to fall into our laps?

Old
06-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yet that same franchise just re-signed him.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Carle wants big bucks. The Flyers are still interested in bring him back but not $5M per. All of these free agent D will get big bucks. Carle,Wideman,Garrison,etc. The Rangers can't afford to play in that neighborhood. Suter will get lotto dollars. from DET or MIN.
Id rather go hard after Schultz. Offer the max and sell the team and the city to him as much as possible.

And go get a guy like Sarich or Jurcina or some other cheap veteran RHD.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
St. Louis.

St. Louis has potentially 7 or 8 top-six wingers on their roster next year (Oshie, Perron, Stewart, MacDonald, Steen, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Langenbrunner) and some questionable depth at center. They also could use a young #2 to pair up with Pietrangelo on the blue line.

Dubinsky for Stewart

Something around Del Zotto and Perron, then flip Dubinsky for some depth on defense.
i think you look to make something like mdz + dubi for perron + oshie

Old
06-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
i think you look to make something like mdz + dubi for perron + oshie
Oshie get's Callahan-esque love from St. Louis. No way they'd trade him in that package.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:41 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Yet that same franchise just re-signed him.
Its a pretty universal opinion on him.

I've heard him slammed on XM many many times through out the year.

He's an underachiever. Its ok for St. Louis to stick with him and see if he can reach his potential. But for another team to move assets to take that chance isn't the same thing.

If we were to trade for one of their wingers, i like Schwartz the most.

But it would cost too much.

Old
NYR Viper

^^^

I don't think they want to lose the key piece they got for Erik Johnson just yet. They probably feel they can deal him for something.

Old
bleedblue94

Quote:
Oshie get's Callahan-esque love from St. Louis. No way they'd trade him in that package.
you say mdz has huge value, i believe you said top 6 forward and a top 4 d man for mdz.

oshie is loved by the fan base and the organization, but i think given their needs, and what they have a surplus of this could be a viable foundation for making a deal.

Old
NYR Viper

^^^

I don't think they want to lose the key piece they got for Erik Johnson just yet. They probably feel they can deal him for something.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Its a pretty universal opinion on him.

I've heard him slammed on XM many many times through out the year.

He's an underachiever. Its ok for St. Louis to stick with him and see if he can reach his potential. But for another team to move assets to take that chance isn't the same thing.

If we were to trade for one of their wingers, i like Schwartz the most.

But it would cost too much.
I've heard just about every player in the league slammed several times. I also advocated moving another underachiever for him in a trade, so I'm not sure what assets you're referring to.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
I don't think many people are kicking him out the door, but you have to be realistic here. McDonagh and Staal aren't going anywhere, and MDZ has had very little success on the right-side. If we can get a prime return for him, then you have to pull the trigger.

When I say prime, I mean a Goligoski or Burns-esque kind of return. And yes, I absolutely feel Del Zotto could fetch that kind of bounty.
Trading DZ for the type of deal Pitt and MIN got for their D is fine. Its trading him and multiple other pieces for one piece which is a bad deal. DZ is perfect for the Blues. They need a LHD. Their three top D are righties. They have depth at forward. DZ for a young forward who is signed to a good affordable contract or the Rangers acquire the player and sign him. They still have Erixon and hopefully Schultz will agree to terms and then sign on July 1.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
you say mdz has huge value, i believe you said top 6 forward and a top 4 d man for mdz.

oshie is loved by the fan base and the organization, but i think given their needs, and what they have a surplus of this could be a viable foundation for making a deal.
I did say that and I stand by it, but I think Oshie is just too important to that team to deal him. The same way teams could offer some serious pieces for Callahan and we'd probably still hang onto him.

I was thinking more along the lines of Del Zotto for Cole and Perron.

Closed Thread