HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 part XXX: Summer time, and the living is easy. But news is slow

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2012, 01:36 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
10,000 part XXX: Summer time, and the living is easy. But news is slow

And go.

Previous thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1179745

Old
06-17-2012, 01:42 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Old
06-17-2012, 01:44 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Old
06-17-2012, 02:04 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

aww, missed a prime opportunity for a joke on the numerals for this version. Softball right down the heart of the plate and it just gets taken.

anyway, incoming nerd rant from me in a minute (I was prepping it for the other thread before it got closed)

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 8 GP, 1-5-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-17-2012, 02:07 AM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
aww, missed a prime opportunity for a joke on the numerals for this version. Softball right down the heart of the plate and it just gets taken.

anyway, incoming nerd rant from me in a minute (I was prepping it for the other thread before it got closed)
The one chance... gone...

Old
06-17-2012, 02:11 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Ok, what the **** Japan? Watching DVDs of Japan's second continuation of the Transformers franchise from the 80s, Super-God Masterforce (no, seriously, that's the name. Perhaps the only good thing about this monstrosity is the hilariously awkward name. Second only to the fact that the sequel series to this one has a sub-group of Transformers called the Breastforce, which just makes me giggle inappropriately. )

I'm having a hard time figuring out where they came up with this ridiculous concept. About the only thing I can think of is that one of the creators travelled ahead in time about 4 years, saw Sailor Moon and some of the earlier predecessors of the Power Rangers franchise and said "you know what? We've gotta get in on that ahead of the curve.". Or maybe he was just on acid and thought he could see through time. I dunno.

Transformers that turn into people (literally. Normal-sized humans), kids that turn into transformers that attach to larger bodies, Optimus Prime who totally isn't Optimus Prime (because he's dead in this continuity. Again.) but rather some skeevy trucker named Ginrai who happens to turn into a transformer who hooks into a giant body that looks like Optimus, then . For ****'s sake, one of the Autobots that turns into a human was on a date (in human form) in the pilot episode. With a human woman. Who totally didn't notice anything weird about the fact that her date's name is Landmine (well, technically his name is "Lander", but the subs use the English names of the characters). Another one looks like Wolverine in his human form.

And then there's swordfights. Swordfights between robots who turn into ****ing tanks and guns and ****. With normal ****ing swords with metal blades, not beam Sabres or laser swords or anything techy or futuristic or whatnot. Ghhhaaaahhh!

Oh, and Nightbeat is totally a little girl in this continuity* because things just wouldn't be screwed up enough otherwise.

About the only damned things in the series that's actually legitimately Transformers are the autobot/decipticon sigils and the transformation sound effect. Although the latter is covered up by the fact that like any good anime series, the characters need to shout out their every action. "<character name>! Transform! <character name>! God on!" (again, not making this up)

So the next time anyone wants to lambaste Michael Bay for crushing our collective childhoods into dust beneath his heel, just think: We could've been subject to the lunacy from Japan.

*Alright, I'll level with you. It's not really Nightbeat. It is a separate character and the "real" Nightbeat never appears in the series. But it's based on the same damn toy, just with different paint.

And yes I know that nobody else will care about this. I just needed to rant. At least the fact that it's part of the franchise history and just the general oddity of it as a collector's item means that I don't feel bad having paid money for it.

Old
06-17-2012, 02:50 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

All I got from that was more proof that Japan is just plain ridiculous.

Old
06-17-2012, 03:17 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
All I got from that was more proof that Japan is just plain ridiculous.
http://kotaku.com/5918652/decades-la...t-film-version

In case you need yet another reason to be weirded out by Japan.

On another less strange Japanese note, I just started watching Gurren Lagann. Seems pretty good so far, haven't watched very much anime in years.

Old
06-17-2012, 05:13 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Old
06-17-2012, 12:46 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

forgot in my rant last night:

the title sequence is ****ed up too. It's not the classic transformers theme. Instead it's some Japanese lounge singer.

again, not making this up:

Old
06-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Ok, what the **** Japan? Watching DVDs of Japan's second continuation of the Transformers franchise from the 80s, Super-God Masterforce (no, seriously, that's the name. Perhaps the only good thing about this monstrosity is the hilariously awkward name. Second only to the fact that the sequel series to this one has a sub-group of Transformers called the Breastforce, which just makes me giggle inappropriately. )

I'm having a hard time figuring out where they came up with this ridiculous concept. About the only thing I can think of is that one of the creators travelled ahead in time about 4 years, saw Sailor Moon and some of the earlier predecessors of the Power Rangers franchise and said "you know what? We've gotta get in on that ahead of the curve.". Or maybe he was just on acid and thought he could see through time. I dunno.

Transformers that turn into people (literally. Normal-sized humans), kids that turn into transformers that attach to larger bodies, Optimus Prime who totally isn't Optimus Prime (because he's dead in this continuity. Again.) but rather some skeevy trucker named Ginrai who happens to turn into a transformer who hooks into a giant body that looks like Optimus, then . For ****'s sake, one of the Autobots that turns into a human was on a date (in human form) in the pilot episode. With a human woman. Who totally didn't notice anything weird about the fact that her date's name is Landmine (well, technically his name is "Lander", but the subs use the English names of the characters). Another one looks like Wolverine in his human form.

And then there's swordfights. Swordfights between robots who turn into ****ing tanks and guns and ****. With normal ****ing swords with metal blades, not beam Sabres or laser swords or anything techy or futuristic or whatnot. Ghhhaaaahhh!

Oh, and Nightbeat is totally a little girl in this continuity* because things just wouldn't be screwed up enough otherwise.

About the only damned things in the series that's actually legitimately Transformers are the autobot/decipticon sigils and the transformation sound effect. Although the latter is covered up by the fact that like any good anime series, the characters need to shout out their every action. "<character name>! Transform! <character name>! God on!" (again, not making this up)

So the next time anyone wants to lambaste Michael Bay for crushing our collective childhoods into dust beneath his heel, just think: We could've been subject to the lunacy from Japan.

*Alright, I'll level with you. It's not really Nightbeat. It is a separate character and the "real" Nightbeat never appears in the series. But it's based on the same damn toy, just with different paint.

And yes I know that nobody else will care about this. I just needed to rant. At least the fact that it's part of the franchise history and just the general oddity of it as a collector's item means that I don't feel bad having paid money for it.

Old
06-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

I present to you enemy number one of the Nighthock family:

The Paper Wasp

These jerk-faces have a nest right under my deck that swarm whenever we even go outside. I LOVE having a nice big backyard that I can't use! Especially with a one year old, taking no chances ... These little devils even survived a pest control visit. Ugh ...

Old
06-17-2012, 03:37 PM
domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post

On another less strange Japanese note, I just started watching Gurren Lagann. Seems pretty good so far, haven't watched very much anime in years.
Gurren Lagann gets HEAVY towards the end. Row! Row! Fight the powah!

Old
06-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post

The Paper Wasp

These jerk-faces have a nest right under my deck that swarm whenever we even go outside. I LOVE having a nice big backyard that I can't use! Especially with a one year old, taking no chances ... These little devils even survived a pest control visit. Ugh ...
I can appreciate that. I'm being eaten alive by mosquitoes and each bite is making me swell. This month there LOVING to hit my hands, so now its painful to make any movement with my fingers.

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Old
06-17-2012, 10:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

BizNasty2point0: As I've said before, fathers day is like trade deadline day. I turn off my phone to avoid any unwanted news.

Old
06-17-2012, 11:53 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post

The Paper Wasp

Paper wasps are super docile compared to other wasp species. Plus their nests are completely conspicuous so you can deal with the threat. Yellow jackets on the other hand... little *******s.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:45 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
the video cuts off at 10 minutes when part 1 was supposed to be 17 mins. Also they promised that the whole of episode 30 (both parts) was supposed to be out today and they haven't even fixed part 1.

that's kind of disappointing.

Oh well. Mr Popo made me laugh. Mr Popo always makes me laugh though. and there was a Darkwing Duck reference to boot.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:28 PM
KirbyDots

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...hers-day-bomb/

Funny.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:37 PM
KirbyDots

Digging further into Executive Koala I found this.

Kinda continues this Japan is weird thing.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:27 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

We have the Lou Ferrigno now sworn in as a deputy with our sheriff's department.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2012/06...eputy.html#top

I would die if I ever heard a radio recording calling for backup from the Hulk

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Old
06-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Rude

Well, Prometheus was a big disappointment.

-Rude

Old
06-18-2012, 08:01 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Digging further into Executive Koala I found this.

Kinda continues this Japan is weird thing.
what.....what did I just watch?

Old
06-18-2012, 08:45 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

So, guess who just got hired to teach a summer session at Stanford University from July 15 - August 15

Old
06-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
So, guess who just got hired to teach a summer session at Stanford University from July 15 - August 15
You disgust me.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:59 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Wowowowowow!!!!

Major congratulations, USF!

Closed Thread