HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-16-2014, 11:02 AM
  #1
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 50
LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

Continue here, please.

Systemfel is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 11:07 AM
  #2
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,270
vCash: 50
IV!!!

Bring it on!

F l a m e s is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 11:20 AM
  #3
WhiskeyYourTheDevils
Registered User
 
WhiskeyYourTheDevils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 12,445
vCash: 500
By my count he's been Calgary's best forward in 3 of his 6 career games (games 1, 2, and 6). He was OK in game 4 and not very good in game 2 or 3.

Overall, not bad for a rookie, especially given his ice time. He could very easily have 2 or 3 by now.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 11:50 AM
  #4
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
By my count he's been Calgary's best forward in 3 of his 6 career games (games 1, 2, and 6). He was OK in game 4 and not very good in game 2 or 3.

Overall, not bad for a rookie, especially given his ice time. He could very easily have 2 or 3 by now.
I would say Byron was probably our best forward yesterday.

GetThePuckOut is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 11:58 AM
  #5
DBU
Yung Deebz
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,650
vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetThePuckOut View Post
I would say Byron was probably our best forward yesterday.
Agreed, but Johnny had at least a few good opportunities against the Hawks. He was also screening Crawford on Wideman's goal (well, to the best of his ability lol)

DBU is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 12:06 PM
  #6
Signature
Real Maple Syrupô
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 7,198
vCash: 50
Hurray! Part 4 for a fourth round pick!

Let's get this over with:

-Kid has undeniable hockey IQ and hands

-Best NCAA scoring record since Kariya and winning the Hobey Baker is why he's received the Johnny Hockey moniker from his college days

-Kid is small and will be crushed like tiny robin's egg between the thighs of NHL-sized defenders

-He doesn't shy away and makes plays along the boards/in front of the net but does get outmuscled

-His playstyle is most comparable to Kane, not Gerbe or MSL but not meaning he has the same ceiling

-He's a fourth round pick who has been (over)hyped but if he makes it that's great for any pick past the second round. If he doesn't make it, it's just another mid-late round bust.

Now let the slobberfest begin.

Signature is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 12:09 PM
  #7
jiboy
Patience
 
jiboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: RN
Country: Canada
Posts: 929
vCash: 50
what's the word on him about staying in NHL or going for a stint in the AHL ?

Is he good enough to stay in the nhl and learn or do cgy fans expect him to be sent down soon if he does not produce ?

jiboy is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 12:27 PM
  #8
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,878
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiboy View Post
what's the word on him about staying in NHL or going for a stint in the AHL ?

Is he good enough to stay in the nhl and learn or do cgy fans expect him to be sent down soon if he does not produce ?
No official word that the Flames have any plans to send him down. Have to imagine they are thinking about it though.

Hes been a good enough 200 foot player, and he has had chances. I imagine if he doesn't get any points on the board after a few more the send him down.

InfinityIggy is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 12:31 PM
  #9
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature View Post
Hurray! Part 4 for a fourth round pick!

Let's get this over with:

-Kid has undeniable hockey IQ and hands

-Best NCAA scoring record since Kariya and winning the Hobey Baker is why he's received the Johnny Hockey moniker from his college days

-Kid is small and will be crushed like tiny robin's egg between the thighs of NHL-sized defenders

-He doesn't shy away and makes plays along the boards/in front of the net but does get outmuscled

-His playstyle is most comparable to Kane, not Gerbe or MSL but not meaning he has the same ceiling

-He's a fourth round pick who has been (over)hyped but if he makes it that's great for any pick past the second round. If he doesn't make it, it's just another mid-late round bust.

Now let the slobberfest begin.
Or the thread could be closed and Calgary can continue discussing him in their own forum.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 12:39 PM
  #10
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,878
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Or the thread could be closed and Calgary can continue discussing him in their own forum.
You know this is the Prospects board right?

InfinityIggy is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 12:56 PM
  #11
Kranix
Registered User
 
Kranix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country:
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Or the thread could be closed and Calgary can continue discussing him in their own forum.
This is the more appropriate forum for tantalizing prospects. The team boards are for gabbing about the fine play of guys like Nick Bonoinio.

Kranix is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:05 PM
  #12
nogger
ploffs?
 
nogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,241
vCash: 50
Weird how a ROOKIE, on a FLAMES team, who puts up LOW amounts of goals, while getting SHELTERED isn't on a PPG pace.

People need to relax, JG has been great so far. He's making very smart hockey plays and opening up chances every time he has the puck.

But since this is HF he might as well be shipped off for the first 5th round pick that comes our way.

nogger is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:09 PM
  #13
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 20,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
This is the more appropriate forum for tantalizing prospects. The team boards are for gabbing about the fine play of guys like Nick Bonoinio.
It's not about whether it's appropriate to discuss a prospect on the Prospect board, but how this prospect ended up generating such a huge number of posts.

Imagine the sad day when he'll no longer be eligible for discussion as a "prospect". What is the over/under on the total number of threads and posts that will have been devoted to him before he graduates to the more general status of a pro player?

Whileee is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:11 PM
  #14
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 20,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Weird how a ROOKIE, on a FLAMES team, who puts up LOW amounts of goals, while getting SHELTERED isn't on a PPG pace.

People need to relax, JG has been great so far. He's making very smart hockey plays and opening up chances every time he has the puck.

But since this is HF he might as well be shipped off for the first 5th round pick that comes our way.
....wait... so you're saying that we are on the fourth thread for a player who is finally in the NHL but is going to be sheltered and not put up a high number of goals and assists as a rookie? How anticlimactic.

Whileee is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:12 PM
  #15
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,886
vCash: 500
I predicted he would never sustain the 82 goal pace he was on last year.
But did anyone listen????
Noooooooo.....

vanwest is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:15 PM
  #16
nogger
ploffs?
 
nogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,241
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
....wait... so you're saying that we are on the fourth thread for a player who is finally in the NHL but is going to be sheltered and not put up a high number of goals and assists as a rookie? How anticlimactic.
Yup, maybe we should just lock the thread about a prospect in the prospect forum then if it makes the Jets fan happy.

One day Petan will get some hype.

nogger is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:16 PM
  #17
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
 
Patmac40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I predicted he would never sustain the 82 goal pace he was on last year.
But did anyone listen????
Noooooooo.....
Pfft, it was a lucky guess. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn eventually.

Patmac40 is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:28 PM
  #18
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiboy View Post
what's the word on him about staying in NHL or going for a stint in the AHL ?

Is he good enough to stay in the nhl and learn or do cgy fans expect him to be sent down soon if he does not produce ?
He hasn't scored, but he also hasn't been a liability and he puts in an effort in the defensive zone. As long as he does that I don't think he'll get sent down - unless they feel his confidence is being hurt by his lack of production in the NHL.

madmike77 is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:29 PM
  #19
TOML
Registered User
 
TOML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,535
vCash: 500
For a really small guy I kinda expected him to be faster.

Burakovsky is a bit more impressive in that regard, and he's 30lbs heavier.

TOML is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:38 PM
  #20
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 50
I still think he'll finish the year with 82 goals.

GetThePuckOut is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:43 PM
  #21
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,206
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiboy View Post
what's the word on him about staying in NHL or going for a stint in the AHL ?

Is he good enough to stay in the nhl and learn or do cgy fans expect him to be sent down soon if he does not produce ?
Hartley has stated that JG has a long leash and will be given plenty of opportunity to make mistakes and grow in the NHL. I think he'd have to be pretty ineffective for a fairly lengthy period of time in order to get sent to the AHL (like a couple of months straight).

SmellOfVictory is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:45 PM
  #22
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,878
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
It's not about whether it's appropriate to discuss a prospect on the Prospect board, but how this prospect ended up generating such a huge number of posts.

Imagine the sad day when he'll no longer be eligible for discussion as a "prospect". What is the over/under on the total number of threads and posts that will have been devoted to him before he graduates to the more general status of a pro player?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
....wait... so you're saying that we are on the fourth thread for a player who is finally in the NHL but is going to be sheltered and not put up a high number of goals and assists as a rookie? How anticlimactic.
If you don't like the thread stop posting in it instead of spamming it.

InfinityIggy is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:55 PM
  #24
nbwingsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Weird how a ROOKIE, on a FLAMES team, who puts up LOW amounts of goals, while getting SHELTERED isn't on a PPG pace.

People need to relax, JG has been great so far. He's making very smart hockey plays and opening up chances every time he has the puck.

But since this is HF he might as well be shipped off for the first 5th round pick that comes our way.
You're right, its just weird he's on a 0 ppg pace right now with the way Flames fans have talked about him.

Like I've stated before, its great that he has "looked" good in the games so far, but all that really matters for him in the end is putting up points, since he's never going to be a physical force.

If he continues to be unproductive I imagine he will sent down after game 10 or so to get his offensive game going again.

He does look good out there though.

nbwingsfan is offline  
Old
10-16-2014, 01:55 PM
  #25
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,878
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post
You're right, its just weird he's on a 0 ppg pace right now with the way Flames fans have talked about him.

Like I've stated before, its great that he has "looked" good in the games so far, but all that really matters for him in the end is putting up points, since he's never going to be a physical force.

If he continues to be unproductive I imagine he will sent down after game 10 or so to get his offensive game going again.

He does look good out there though.
Have you watched any of the games though?

InfinityIggy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.