Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 03:37 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Agreed with last 2 posts.

Thou I do think we could use a dman (2-4 talent type) No way do you give 3 2nds and Elie for it, and if thats an asking price for a 2nd/3rd talent Dman live with what ya got.

1 F (2nd line type) 1 Dman (2 pairing type) and Im happy to run with that.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

I am loving the sandpaper the Liberati brings to his game! Smooth skating puck moving defenceman..and he isnt afraid to muck it up a bit. Bonus! Great game last night, I wonder how many shots Niagara actually took considering night after night our boys block so many shots. Fun to watch!
Niagara is a three man show. They really should rebuild properly regardless of what happens for the NHL. Trade the big three for assets that can keep them competitive this year and tops for years to come (a.k.a - the patented Knights rebuild on the fly).

Old
12-08-2012, 09:32 AM
aresknights

And the beat goes on. Another W! Ive stopped counting
The Knights continue to play great as a team with contributions from all over the roster (sound familiar?)
The Rups get em going again for the second night in a row. Ferry also snipes for the 2nd straight. I dont expect that streak to continue
Broadhurst doing his Bure impersonation on a coast to coast that looked easy.
Patterson continues the solid goaltending. I feel more comfortable with him in there but both have been real solid.

Interesting strategy by Dale tonight. Instead of assigning a line to mark the big line of Ice Puppies he goes with the Harrington/Hughes combo (for the most part) and then uses Feryy with multiple lines agasinst them as well. Every time they came out Ferry took a wingers spot on Bos. Tierneys or the Ruperts line. I like the idea and subtle change. It gives you the pest against them, but doesnt force Dale into playing a shut down line half the game and keeps the other two Fs checking that line a lil more rested. You can then evaluate which groups are doign the best job and use em in third if needed. I just think it keeps more Fs in the game and getting shifts. Now, it does force some line juggling (all lines saw different combos save our scoring line) but it seemed to work for me. Only a couple of players in the O Id use this against, but its nice to see Dale staying ahead of the curve coaching.
Liberati again had stretches without seeing the ice. This is why Id like a vet D added come Jan.
He also used Griff on some key draws when needed with different lines and it worked. The team stayed outta the box. Dale and staff with a very well coached game IMO
nd
Zadarov wanted a piece of Lemmon and pinched way down low to catch him with a solid hit. I dont like how he took himself outta position, but I LOVE the fact he took a # and made sure to let em know, dont piss around

Old
12-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Snippit

Props to Tyler Ferry for the unselfish play.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:32 PM
JL17

I mentioned it in another board Ryan Rupert show me with that empty netter how little confidence had/has.... he almost missed the empty netter. He tucked it just inside the post. Another inch left it's off the post.

Only caught the third but Ritchie would be a nice fit in London. Him and Horvat working the boards would left just about every D-man in the OHL drained after the first half of the game.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:14 PM
sbrug

I have been saying to go after Ritchie. Under Williamson, he doesn't seem interested in backchecking. His skating wasn't great last night either. He would be dominant in the offensive zone esp. down low. Hunter would have to get him working hard like the rest of the team.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:39 PM
damonster
#lydia2012

Can you say 18 straight wins? what's better then the 04-05 team, is there is no great superstar on the team, just all of them work hard everyday and work good together. Wonder how long this streak can go.

edit: as for Raine, I wouldn't call it an attempt to injure, but he will be suspended as a repeat offender.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Was at the game today against Mississauga. A couple of observations from what I saw:

1) Max Domi is going to be a star at the NHL. He's got a non-stop motor and superb hustle. He's also got excellent hands and is not afraid to go into high traffic areas. He'll be a winger though in the NHL.

2) Josh Anderson will be a great checking line forward. Columbus drafted a very good player in the fourth round. I watch him and I think a more offensive version of Joel Otto but with much better wheels. Hopefully Columbus doesn't rush him into the lineup and that he's developed properly. Could be a future Selke nominated player with his game.

I have to admit though, I'm kind of disappointed in Seth Griffith's game. He ended up with a couple of points in today's game, but the lack of hustle and the disinterest in the game really struck me. He was lazy on the back check and he just didn't seem inspired. You'd figure that the snub from the Junior Hockey camp would light a fire under him to elevate his game to the next level, but it's seemingly done the opposite. I'm wondering if it's a maturity issue. Either way, with a handful of players who will be gone, he really needs to step up and be a leader on this club and pouting about not being invited isn't going to cut it.

As well, the Knights are a real well balanced club. Just a solid club from top to bottom. The only area of improvement they'll need to look at is goaltending. They will not win anything as long as Kevin Bailie is the goaltender. His rebound control is poor, his lateral movement is poor and becomes flustered and flops around when he can't see what's going on in front of him.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:05 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I have to admit though, I'm kind of disappointed in Seth Griffith's game. He ended up with a couple of points in today's game, but the lack of hustle and the disinterest in the game really struck me. He was lazy on the back check and he just didn't seem inspired. You'd figure that the snub from the Junior Hockey camp would light a fire under him to elevate his game to the next level, but it's seemingly done the opposite. I'm wondering if it's a maturity issue. Either way, with a handful of players who will be gone, he really needs to step up and be a leader on this club and pouting about not being invited isn't going to cut it.
That's not frustration of not being selected or pouting..that's Seth Griffith. What you see is what you get. I'll be shocked if he's not back as an over-ager next season. Just doesn't have a complete game in my opinion. Inside the blue and around the opposition net..he's lethal...but he isn't very good from red to red going back.

As for Bailie...that's Bailie. He's not gonna wow anyone..he's not a technically sound goaltender in a definition sense..but he stops em when they need to be stopped. Can't argue with that.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:07 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

2) Josh Anderson will be a great checking line forward. Columbus drafted a very good player in the fourth round. I watch him and I think a more offensive version of Joel Otto but with much better wheels. Hopefully Columbus doesn't rush him into the lineup and that he's developed properly. Could be a future Selke nominated player with his game.

Agree with Anderson the kid is a force. Big hits, no skating issues, can pot goals the kid is getting better every game. Columbus found a good one.

That's the way Griffith has played since mid October. That's why Hockey Canada didn't invite him. I've mentioned it several times in this thread and thats why I suggest that London go out and get a leader up front.

Unfortunately nothing will change cuz Dale isn't going to sit him down for his lack of effort which may light the fire under his but. IMO right now he's riding the coat tails of Domi and Broadhurst who have been London's best forwards along with Horvat over the last 6 weeks.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:10 PM
sbrug

I have been posting here before that Griffith has played like that since he started with the Knights. It's not a big deal because he is dominant offensively. To say he's ridden Broadhurst and Domi's coattails over the last 6 weeks is a big stretch. I would say over that time that Broadhurst and Domi have just elevated their games.

The next 3 games are against Owen Sound, Guelph and Kingston. With London missing Maatta, Harrington, Zadorov, and Raine I have a hard time seeing this win streak going any farther. Maybe the backup goalie for these games can play defence.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Snippit

Honestly, I hope we see a deal for a depth defender in the next couple of days.

Harrington, Maatta, Zadorov and Raine are out. Raine will get anywhere between 5-15 games in my opinion. I think Zadorov has a real shot in cracking the Russian blueline.

If that's the case, you could be missing these guys until 2013. Here's our upcoming schedule:

Owen Sound (Dec.14th)
Guelph (Dec. 15th)
Kingston (Dec. 16th)
Windsor (Dec. 27th)
Plymouth (Dec. 29th)
Sarnia (Dec. 31st)
Sarnia (January 1st)
Saginaw (January 4th)
Kitchener (January 5th)

The four players mentioned have a good chance of missing most of these games. Here's what you have left:

Hughes - Liberati
Ferry - Fuller
Leroux - ???

Welychka, Di Lorenzo, Centorame (I don't see John or Santino being called up this weekend).

I'm particularly worried about this upcoming weekend. Owen Sound is missing Catenacci and Binnington, but still have many lethal threats throughout the lineup. Hope is also a solid back-up. As for Guelph, I don't think they lose anyone to the WJC. We know that they can play right with us. Not too worried about Kingston.

The game against Owen Sound means a lot. It's the difference between going ahead by 9 points, or having the gap closed to 5. Also, the streak is likely doing a ton for everybody's confidence.

Since there's only three games until break, I say we pick up a depth defencemen, like Cook was last year.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:16 PM
sbrug

Snippit, I agree but other GMs see the situation the Knights are in too and could really force Hunter into overpaying for a defenceman.

Can they just call up Di Lorenzo and Centorame at any time? They could use those kids for the next 9 games.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:03 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
Snippit, I agree but other GMs see the situation the Knights are in too and could really force Hunter into overpaying for a defenceman.

Can they just call up Di Lorenzo and Centorame at any time? They could use those kids for the next 9 games.
Yes they can call up the kids, and 9 game rule does not apply until after the world jrs

Old
12-10-2012, 05:11 AM
aresknights

Mark shouldnt (and wont ) panic here and grab a D for the sake of the streak or the month of Dec just to fill a hole. Hell take in the big pic. I wouldnt want assets wasted to bring in a stop gap when we are in good position even if we drop some games over the month. They can assess/evaluate Liberati with more minutes, Fuller, ant kid they call up and use wha tthey see to help coach em up, making them hopefully better down the line.
Theyll simplify their game, and still scrap out a couple Ws
Save the assets and go get the guy(s) you really want in Jan.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:32 AM
JL17

I'm under the impression whomever is called up right will not get those games tacked on towards filling their card. Once WJC training camps start that's when I believe the rule starts.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:28 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
I'm under the impression whomever is called up right will not get those games tacked on towards filling their card. Once WJC training camps start that's when I believe the rule starts.
Exactly..hense the reason the Knights claimed a vet(Fuller) and haven't called up either DiLorenzo or Centorame before. Call them up for the month, give them some experience..then you still have their 9 games if you need them towards the end of the year or for emergency call ups.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:53 AM
tjziel

Who would you rather have?

Just for argument sake, and with the trade deadline coming up and possibly needing another defensemen which trade would you rather have?

A) Cody Ceci and Sean Monahan, Ottawa 67's
(I believe Monahan is in play because he will want to up his draft potential as the solid No. 3 pick by going deep in the playoffs. Scouts would love to see if he elevates his game during the playoffs. Would cost a lot but would put the Knights ahead of the Mooseheads for favourites for winning the Memorial Cup.)

B) Slater Koekkoek, Alan Quine, and Derek Mathers, Peterborough Petes
(I love Derek Mathers and he would fit well with the Ruperts. I like Koekkoek, he has great skill, and definitely will be back next year, the catch is Alan Quine might have to be a part of the deal, which would leave us one over-ager over the limit. But I believe it would cost less assets to acquire them then option A.)

C) Nick Cousins and Darnell Nurse, Sault St. Marie Greyhounds
(Still on the cusp of making the playoffs but could be a nice fit. Depends if the GM decides to sell and how much he needs to get back on his feet cuz he suffered a loss in the Jack Campbell trade. I don't know if I envision Nick Cousins between the Ruperts, but he does bring skill. Darnell Nurse would have us set if Harrington graduates next year. Considered a long shot trade but would be a great fit)

D) Vincent Trocheck and Dalton Young, Saginaw Spirit
(Also on the fence on making the playoffs, but still don't have as much stars as the Greyhounds. Trocheck would be nice beside Griffith and Young might round out our top four on D. This trade is probably the easiest but maybe not the most effective)

Last edited by tjziel: 12-10-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
Just for argument sake, and with the trade deadline coming up and possibly needing another defensemen which trade would you rather have?

(I believe Monahan is in play because he will want to up his draft potential as the solid No. 3 pick by going deep in the playoffs. Scouts would love to see if he elevates his game during the playoffs. Would cost a lot but would put the Knights ahead of the Mooseheads for favourites for winning the Memorial Cup.)

(I love Derek Mathers and he would fit well with the Ruperts. I like Koekkoek, he has great skill, and definitely will be back next year, the catch is Alan Quine might have to be a part of the deal, which would leave us one over-ager over the limit. But I believe it would cost less assets to acquire them then option A.)

(Still on the cusp of making the playoffs but could be a nice fit. Depends if the GM decides to sell and how much he needs to get back on his feet cuz he suffered a loss in the Jack Campbell trade. I don't know if I envision Nick Cousins between the Ruperts, but he does bring skill. Darnell Nurse would have us set if Harrington graduates next year. Considered a long shot trade but would be a great fit)

(Also on the fence on making the playoffs, but still don't have as much stars as the Greyhounds. Trocheck would be nice beside Griffith and Young might round out our top four on D. This trade is probably the easiest but maybe not the most effective)
If you're talking guys like Monahan, Koekkoek, Nurse you aren't going to get that type of player without dealing a Horvat. I think having Monahan getting a long playoff run in means very little in regards to his draft status. MacKinnon and Jones are already the cream of the crop. There's really nothing Monahan can do to get into that group, he's still going to be a very high pick regardless. A playoff run probably wouldn't do much for him. A lot of guys have been drafted high without making a playoff run, considering out of 60 CHL teams only 6 or 7 teams can make a huge playoff run it doesn't mean that much.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
If you're talking guys like Monahan, Koekkoek, Nurse you aren't going to get that type of player without dealing a Horvat. I think having Monahan getting a long playoff run in means very little in regards to his draft status. MacKinnon and Jones are already the cream of the crop. There's really nothing Monahan can do to get into that group, he's still going to be a very high pick regardless. A playoff run probably wouldn't do much for him. A lot of guys have been drafted high without making a playoff run, considering out of 60 CHL teams only 6 or 7 teams can make a huge playoff run it doesn't mean that much.
I agree with that except Hunter probably could deal away the equivalent of a Bo Horvat, with a Chris Tierney and Remi Elie together (skill wise). With this deal, it would put us as the favourite to win the Memorial Cup and you're right, it probably wouldn't up Monahan's draft status but scouts still love to see if a player elevates his game in the playoffs regardless. But it also comes with the risk that if he doesn't, he will see his stock drop (ie. Mikhail Grigorenko). So its a risk/high reward type of deal. Interesting deal though.....

Old
12-10-2012, 03:50 PM
KnightsInsider93

Josh Leivo and Frank Corrado from Sudbury as well as Brett Ritchie from Niagara.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:05 PM
JL17

Raine gets 3 games.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post

Ahead of the Mooseheads as favourites for the Memorial Cup? Lol, I would be thrilled if the Knights could just repeat as OHL winners let alone worrying about what Halifax has. Furthermore, I don't know how one can make that statement. Everyone said Saint John would repeat last year and everyone said Shawinigan was a joke. Look what happened there. Shawinigan was so bad but London still went 0-2 against them in 1 week while they beat 3 League champions. The Memorial Cup is a crapshoot. The .500 Saskatoon Blades will win it for all we know.

As for trades, eventually I think you'll see a minor move on defence. Something like a 1993 for a draft pick just for some more depth. We don't know if Liberati will iron out his game by the end of the season or not. If he keeps making mistakes, then they'll grab another guy and sit Liberati. It would also help if Raine would use his brain from time to time. Then, I'll guess that there will be a move to bring in an older forward. Tyler Graovac, Mitch Theoret, Brett Ritchie would be my targets.

Also forgot to add that maybe Hunter goes after a 1994 defenceman like Koekkoek who you alluded to tjziel. It would be a move for this year and next year, similar to the idea Hunter had when he got Del Zotto, only this time he doesn't make the NHL underaged. I'm sure he's had enough of Peterborough judging by his comments earlier in the year and London has the weapons to make trades happen.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Snippit

What about Sarault, from Sarnia? I believe we have an OA spot open. Imagine him setting up Griffith...

Old
12-10-2012, 08:34 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
What about Sarault, from Sarnia? I believe we have an OA spot open. Imagine him setting up Griffith...
No, there's Bailie, Ferry, and Hughes. The most likely to be dealt would be Ferry and that's probably not happening

Closed Thread