HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Will a team trade for Thomas' contract to get to the cap floor?

Old
06-17-2012, 03:02 PM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Malakhov was not retired, he was on the record saying he just wanted a leave of absence and with time remaining on his contract beyond that season it could be argued that Malakhov could return from his leave of absence.

Thomas has stated without a doubt he will not play this season and with it being the final year of his contract, there is no chance of Thomas playing for the team that acquired him.
What you are saying is likely but not exactly a sure thing because whatever team has Thomas' rights can suspend him and retain his rights along with his cap hit until Thomas officially retires.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:10 PM
stungun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Malakhov wasn't officially retired, but was suspended by the Devils after he threatened to retire if he was going to be dumped in the minors.

Thomas has already announced he won't be playing next year. A move would be pure cap circumvention and it won't happen.
How is it circumvention, he is signed to a contract to play, his contract counts towards the bruins no matter if he plays, but his contact won't count on another roster? While the NHL and bettman can amend the rules of the league to some degree I think they would let it ride. He is not injured, not ill and not retired so he will be suspended and not paid for the time he misses, a team gives up only what they offer in a trade and gobbles up 5 million in cap space. I don't like it but don't see how the league can let a player like radulov come back yet block a trade for a signed, active roster player.

stungun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:24 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Another season and Thomas's payroll comes off the Bruin's books. They're not in dire need of cap space unless they can land one of Parise/Suter/Semin. Doesn't seem like they will.

On July first they toss Kellys contract on the books and I believe that will give them 5mill left and they need to sign Rask and a back up

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:26 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

There are plenty of players teams would be willing to give up for a team to reach the cap floor.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:57 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
It would be cap circumvention, plain and simple. The league wouldn't allow it.
How?

If a team wants to trade for Thomas who the hell is the league to say they or Boston are "circumventing" anything?

If the Islanders want to give up a 7th round pick for Thomas and a 6th round pick why would the league not allow it?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:42 PM
duxfan8

If they were to do that, the team that acquires him would then suspend him (unless they wanted to pay him 5 million bucks to be a scratch for 82 games and take up a roster spot). If he is suspended by the team, his cap hit does not apply. If his cap hit doesn't apply, the team would be no closer to the cap floor. Wouldn't work, but props for the idea

duxfan8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
If they were to do that, the team that acquires him would then suspend him (unless they wanted to pay him 5 million bucks to be a scratch for 82 games and take up a roster spot). If he is suspended by the team, his cap hit does not apply. If his cap hit doesn't apply, the team would be no closer to the cap floor. Wouldn't work, but props for the idea
No, Thomas cap hit does apply. He is not in the Yashin/Radulov category. Both were RFAs, but Thomas signed his deal in the 35+ category, therefore, by rule, regardless of whether he is playing or not, his cap hit will count. Only way it does not, is if he is on LTIR.

This is also a reason why the Flyer's can't afford to have Chris Pronger retire. They would be stuck with his cap hit until his contract expires. The Flyers, because they have the money, would prefer to have him placed on LTIR and pay him his salary, rather than take the cap hit to their team.

With Radulov, he had 1 year left on his ELC. He took off for the KHL, the Preds suspended and used the precedent set by the Yashin contract to toll Radulov's contract, thereby ensuring that he still owed them a year of service.

At the beginning of last season, Canucks signed Peter Schaefer to a 1 way contract after training camp. When they wanted to send him down to the AHL he told the team that he'd rather go play in Europe. So, Vancouver put in the paper work to send him down, suspend him, place him on waivers so that they could terminate his contract, and Peter was free to sign with a team in Europe.

With Thomas taking a year off, a cap floor team would not want to toll his contract until the 13-14 season. Makes no sense for them. They would keep his contact, and just merely suspend him for not being at camp, so they don't have to pay him his salary, but they have to take the cap hit due to the 35+ rule.

The Bruins, on the other hand, if they don't trade him, have to decide whether to toll his contract to the 13-14 season or simply eat the cap hit in 12-13 season.

With Jacobs's stature in the BOG, I wouldn't expect the league to veto out a deal for Thomas. Just may have to make it look more like a hockey deal with a couple of extra players thrown in there to make it look better, but the substance of the deal would be to dump the cap hit onto a cap floor team.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:04 AM
ZetterBurger

I don't see how the league would allow a trade for Thomas to any team with him taking the year off. Seems like blatant cap circumvention if you ask me and the Bruins would have to be punished for it.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:08 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
On July first they toss Kellys contract on the books and I believe that will give them 5mill left and they need to sign Rask and a back up
We have a back up signed already

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:09 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
I don't see how the league would allow a trade for Thomas to any team with him taking the year off. Seems like blatant cap circumvention if you ask me and the Bruins would have to be punished for it.
Why would the Bruins be punished for it. The team acquiring him if any would be.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:11 AM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Why would the Bruins be punished for it. The team acquiring him if any would be.
Yes that's true but both teams would be circumventing the cap.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:26 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Your numbers count Savard as a regular. Put him on LTIR and you can add $4m to that ($5m) cap space.

06-18-2012, 01:46 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 900
If they included other pieces to make it look like a "hockey deal", the league could allow it. If it was something simple like Thomas for future considerations, the league would probably take issue with it for cap circumvention on behalf of the team picking up his contract. It's not cap circumvention for the Bruins to get rid of that cap hit necessarily, but I'd have to think the league wouldn't allow a team to use that cap hit to get to the floor when they're not actually paying him. At the very least, it'd piss of the players association.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:55 AM
stungun

Quote:
how exactly is this circumventing the cap? where in the cba does it say you can not trade a player under salary who is not suspended? and any team who would trade for thomas would not be paying him as they would suspend him (his salary is $3 million not $5 million) but get to use his cap hit to use up space on the roster. look at how much space the islanders have to fill just to make it to the salary cap floor this year, someone may take on his contract but as other posters say it will need to include some other pieces to make it look like something more than what it is, a money saving deal by a cash strapped team that MUST fill in salary cap space or be fined by the league for not meeting it. and remember this team will not pay thomas a penny.

stungun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:21 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I simply see a team like Dallas who isn't trying to get to the cap floor but has extra cap space because they don't spend to the limit either as a team we do the trade with.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:49 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I don't see it happening but I guess it might also depend on what goes on with the new CBA if they ever get serious and do some negotiating.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:51 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
How?

If a team wants to trade for Thomas who the hell is the league to say they or Boston are "circumventing" anything?

If the Islanders want to give up a 7th round pick for Thomas and a 6th round pick why would the league not allow it?
Because the isles have already indicated that they are going with Nabokov and DiPietro on their roster.

No team,especially a cap floor team, ties up $12m in goaltending.

It would be obvious that the Isles were thumbing their nose at the league front office,at a time the league execs are trying to end cap circumvention.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:51 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

why wouldn't they sign a player to an overpriced contract who might actually help them a little instead of sitting on his couch in Colorado or where ever Thomas lives?

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:06 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
No. Why wouldn't the team just sign a crappy free agent to a one year deal like that and at least get some use out of him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
why wouldn't they sign a player to an overpriced contract who might actually help them a little instead of sitting on his couch in Colorado or where ever Thomas lives?
I'm wondering/waiting for an answer to the same. Are people really that turned on by fantasizing about trades that will never happen?

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Mongo
Mongo likes candy!

Quote:
I'm wondering/waiting for an answer to the same. Are people really that turned on by fantasizing about trades that will never happen?
Alot of people think that a cheap owner will want to get to the cap floor and save money.

Simple reasoning
Crappy FA that you purposely overpay say 4 million

Cap hit is 4m and you pay his salary of 4 mill

Thomas

Cap hit of 5 mill

If he don't play you suspend him w/o pay therefore his salary is on your books as 0$

Get it?

Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Cause you'd actually have to pay the crappy player money.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:35 PM
BergyWho37

People seem to forget, its a 5 mil cap hit but the owner only pays 3mill ... whats gomez cost ?? or a new freeagent ??

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:58 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
NJD traded retired D Vladimir Malakhov along with a 2007 1st Rounder (later traded to STL, ended up being LW David Perron) to San Jose in exchange for RFA RW Alexander Korolyuk (who as well known to be not coming back to NA) and borderline 7th defenseman D Jim Fahey just before the start of the 06-07 season. The first was basically given to SJ so that the Devils could get rid of Malakhov's cap hit for 06-07(which was a 35+ contract same as Thomas). I fail to see the difference between that and Thomas situation, it will be allowed.
I see a few differences:

1) SJ didn't acquire the contract to make cap floor, which is the premise of this thread.

2) Malakhov hadn't announced he wouldn't play at all, unlike Thomas.

3) The league seems to have increased their scrutiny of potential cap shenanigans since the Malakhov trade.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:03 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Your numbers count Savard as a regular. Put him on LTIR and you can add $4m to that ($5m) cap space.
Yes, but not in July. Have to wait till the regular season starts in October before anyone can be placed on LTIR.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Orrthebest

Can anyone guarantee Thomas won't play next year? I think it is quite possible he comes back and plays once he realizes he misses playing. This possibility is why the NHL can not block a trade and also why any team with 5 million in cap space should be interested.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote