HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suter or Schultz

View Poll Results: Suter or Schultz
Ryan Suter at $6.5 per 76 62.30%
Justin Schultz on ELC 46 37.70%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2012, 04:17 PM
  #51
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
It's really not that important is it? Gardiner shocked a lot of people with his play this past year. He stepped it up a notch. Just because Schultz was a better player at Wisconsin doesn't mean he'll be a better NHLer. He's got a lot to prove.
I'm not saying he doesn't have to prove it, but to compare him to Gilroy in terms of hype is wrong imo. They're completely different situations.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:22 PM
  #52
My Sweet Shadow
Registered User
 
My Sweet Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,644
vCash: 500
Saying you'd take Schultz over Suter because of the cap hit is ridiculous. If we had a chance to sign one of the best 2-way d-men in the league, we'd make the room for him. Lombardi, Armstrong, and Connolly are all in the final year of their respective contracts and Komi's got 2 years left with a cap hit > actually salary...they really wouldn't be that hard to get rid of (be it trade, buy-out, demotion, or some combination of the 3).

Schultz would be an amazing blue-chip prospect to grab, but why choose a guy you hope could turn into a player of Suter's caliber 3-4 years down the road when you could just sign Suter (who's only 5 1/2 years older than Schultz anyways).

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:35 PM
  #53
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
I'm not saying he doesn't have to prove it, but to compare him to Gilroy in terms of hype is wrong imo. They're completely different situations.
I personally don't see the difference in hype. But it's not worth debating arguing . . Whether or not Schultz exceeds the hype, we will find out.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:41 PM
  #54
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Suter, but if we are going on who we could realistically end up with its Schultz.

I'll take either haha.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:09 PM
  #55
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
I personally don't see the difference in hype. But it's not worth debating arguing . . Whether or not Schultz exceeds the hype, we will find out.
It really isn't, it just bothered me. I find the hype completely different, where one is warranted and one probably wasn't, or at least to the level it was, and for good reason.

I'm not sure if Schultz will exceed the hype on him, but for me at least he exceeds that of Gilroy's.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
  #56
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Scultz easily. Suter will be terribly overpaid.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 05:46 PM
  #57
LeaffanDM
Registered User
 
LeaffanDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Saying you'd take Schultz over Suter because of the cap hit is ridiculous. If we had a chance to sign one of the best 2-way d-men in the league, we'd make the room for him. Lombardi, Armstrong, and Connolly are all in the final year of their respective contracts and Komi's got 2 years left with a cap hit > actually salary...they really wouldn't be that hard to get rid of (be it trade, buy-out, demotion, or some combination of the 3).

Schultz would be an amazing blue-chip prospect to grab, but why choose a guy you hope could turn into a player of Suter's caliber 3-4 years down the road when you could just sign Suter (who's only 5 1/2 years older than Schultz anyways).

It is all about the money, plain and simple. Burke might offer suter, but i wouldnt hold your breath on him signing here even if he wanted to.

LeaffanDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:01 PM
  #58
The Beyonder
Registered User
 
The Beyonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
Suter is the best thing you'd hope Schultz to be... Why the hell would anyone choose Schultz over Suter? Salary isn't even a good reason. Suter would make our defence so much better.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:08 PM
  #59
My Sweet Shadow
Registered User
 
My Sweet Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaffanDM View Post
It is all about the money, plain and simple. Burke might offer suter, but i wouldnt hold your breath on him signing here even if he wanted to.
This thread has nothing to do with what probably will and won't happen, which is probably one of the contributing factors to why Schultz is getting so many votes. Yes, realistically we have a much better shot at getting Schultz than Suter...but that wasn't the question that the OP posed.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:08 PM
  #60
agropop
Registered User
 
agropop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,287
vCash: 500
Seriously?

Suter.

wow.

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:09 PM
  #61
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,264
vCash: 133
Baffled that this required a poll.

Even more baffled that anyone would pick Schultz over one of the best defensemen in the NHL...


Last edited by iPunch: 06-17-2012 at 07:09 PM.
iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:14 PM
  #62
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Scultz easily. Suter will be terribly overpaid.
What's your definition of "terribly overpaid"

Suter is a forsure a top 10 Dman in the league and fringe top 5 in some people's minds.

I'd have no problem paying him what the OP has posted.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:45 PM
  #63
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,303
vCash: 500
Wow, there is actually a lot of people that voted for Schultz.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
  #64
My Sweet Shadow
Registered User
 
My Sweet Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Scultz easily. Suter will be terribly overpaid.
Weber: 7.5
Campbell: 7.1
Doughty: 7.0
Chara: 6.9
Boyle: 6.7
Bouwmeester: 6.8
Phaneuf: 6.5
Timmonen: 6.3
Seabrook: 5.8 (7.0 next year)
Burns: 5.8
Markov: 5.8
Visnovsky: 5.6
Keith: 5.5 (8.0 next year)
Myers: 5.5 (12.0 next year and 6.0 the year after)
Wisniewski: 5.5 (7.0 next year)
Gonchar: 5.5
Yandle: 5.3
Byfuglien: 5.2
Pronger: 4.9 (7.2 next year)
Kronwall: 4.8 (6.0 starting in 2013/14)
Ehrhoff: 4.0 (10.0 next year and 8.0 the year after)

When you compare Suter to most of those guys on that list of some of the highest paid d-men, $6-6.5M is pretty reasonable. It really depends on how his contract gets structured as well (as you can see from guys like Ehrhoff, Myers, Keith, etc).

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:54 PM
  #65
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
What's your definition of "terribly overpaid"

Suter is a forsure a top 10 Dman in the league and fringe top 5 in some people's minds.

I'd have no problem paying him what the OP has posted.
Yeah, we'll see how he plays with Weber and on a different team.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:06 PM
  #66
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Yeah, we'll see how he plays with Weber and on a different team.
And I can easily say "well see how Weber plays without Suter being there for amazing insulation". Anyone that has watched Suter with the Preds or with team USA would laugh at the notion that Weber is making him the player he currently is. Do you forget this guy was drafted #7 overall in the infamous 2003 draft?

If Suter is going to be "terribly overpaid" when hes prolly going to get around 6.5 a year what the heck does that make Dion Phaneuf?

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:09 PM
  #67
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Ryan Suter is a legit #2 defensman playing in the NHL. How could you not choose this guy? Schultz has the potential to be a good defensman in the NHL, projected top 4 may be a top 2 one day but may never pan out as anything more then a 7th or career AHLer

I just don't understand how anyone could even sway towards Schultz over Suter? let alone think he would be the best option between the two for your team.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:38 PM
  #68
mydnyte
Registered User
 
mydnyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Baffled that this required a poll.

Even more baffled that anyone would pick Schultz over one of the best defensemen in the NHL...
I'm not sure he will be one of the best without Weber as a partner, or not in a defence first team with one of the best goalies backing up your mistakes

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:39 PM
  #69
mydnyte
Registered User
 
mydnyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Ryan Suter is a legit #2 defensman playing in the NHL. How could you not choose this guy? Schultz has the potential to be a good defensman in the NHL, projected top 4 may be a top 2 one day but may never pan out as anything more then a 7th or career AHLer

I just don't understand how anyone could even sway towards Schultz over Suter? let alone think he would be the best option between the two for your team.
Salary Cap ...if we didn't have Dion, then sure... or if we unloaded LACK, or Grabo's 5+ then again yes

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:23 PM
  #70
Ghostrider1174
Registered User
 
Ghostrider1174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
No question

I love Suter but I take and most GMs would take Justin. Why cause scouts say he might be the next Pronger and no matter what he will be a very good defenceman.

Ghostrider1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:24 PM
  #71
Ghostrider1174
Registered User
 
Ghostrider1174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Either way both we be a great catch! People suggesting that taking Justin over Suter is crazy to even suggest are wrong in doing so. If you did your homework you'd know scouts have projected this guy to be similiar to a Pronger. Hes young. No matter what Justin will be a very good defenceman. Like i said i love Suter but I rather have Justin.


Last edited by Ghostrider1174: 06-17-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Ghostrider1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:32 PM
  #72
MiniMoose
Registered User
 
MiniMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
I would say Suter if we could get him but Schultz seem more easier to get

MiniMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:34 PM
  #73
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle
 
Erza Scarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Requiem
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Leafs have no chance at Suter, so Schultz.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:34 PM
  #74
darrylsittler27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Suter wont come to Canada.

Detroit will sign him with Lidstrom's money...over and out.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:44 PM
  #75
My Sweet Shadow
Registered User
 
My Sweet Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider1174 View Post
I love Suter but I take and most GMs would take Justin. Why cause scouts say he might be the next Pronger and no matter what he will be a very good defenceman.
I guarantee there's no scouts saying he might be the next Pronger.

Those two players are nothing alike. If you had said someone like Niedermayer, I'd saying you were being super-optimistic, but at least they'd have similar playing styles and roles.

And he'll be a very good defenseman? You mean kind of like Suter already is?

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.