HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke talking Leafs and business of hockey (26 min video)

Old
06-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

vCash: 500
I don't think I've ever seen so much idiocy in one thread all at once. It's almost impressive in a very sick way.

Anyway, the interview was interesting. Mostly same old, same old; but some interesting tidbits in between.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:00 PM
darrylsittler27

Ok ,how about this...

Four years out of the playoffs and in the top 50 prospects in the world,one guy at 38th?Is that impressive?Or something a monkey and dart board could do?

Doug Hamilton is 4th in the world,we gave him to Boston.And second rounder last year Saad is a better prospect than Kadri.We have the biggest scouting staff in the world,have missed the playoffs 4 years in a row and no elite prospects.The fact you cant see this says more than anything else.

Last edited by darrylsittler27: 06-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.
darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:35 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
What's funny is, most Toronto fans have no idea what theyre talking about lol. They want a rebuild but cry when we suck. Same **** happens in Baseball. I'd say most T.O fans are delusional bandwagoners truth be told.
this is an amazing straw man argument

you are saying we don't want a rebuild cause we're *****ing when we suck? you're forgetting the part where most 'rebuilds' are accompanied by the acquisition of great/ elite talent.

that's what we're frustrated about. we suck so much yet we get minimal elite talent to show for it...

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:44 PM
BrannigansLaw

Looks like Brian has finally crawled out of his hole and gone back to doing what he does best after another abysmal season. Gabbing to the media.

I'm sure when next season rolls around and his team is still garbage, he'll crawl back into his hole only to reappear again after he's done hibernating (aka when the playoffs are over).

BrannigansLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:15 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
yea i think he's a bit too focused on entertainment

in toronto, most of us are knowledgeable fans, and winning= entertainment, especially when the team has missed the playoffs for an excruciating 7 years

but if he considers the la kings and devils to have an entertaining style that means his threshold for entertainment is not too high, which is good

i think he went out of his way to build the softest team in the league, with our run and gun style
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
He put his friend Ronnie ahead of his duties as President and GM, and continued his disengenious babble to the masses. Filled his pockets and his Friends who advised him on his incompetent personel decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
bang on !!!!!!! and if we can all see it ,,,i imagine the new people involved in a 1.5 billion aquisition with the main piece being the leafs ,,,,they know it too
Step 1: Draw conclusions.
Step 2: Find "facts" to support your conclusions.
Step 3: Find like-minded people to bolster your numbers.
Step 4: Say that authorities agree with you (even when they are so far above you their spit would attain terminal velocity but then evaporate away before ever hitting you...) to support your claims.

These 4 steps have been done over and over on these boards.

Frankly I'm not surprised since we're talking about sports fans, and not to generalize but stereotypes don't exactly paint us as being in the top levels of intellectual thought...

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:33 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
What's funny is, most Toronto fans have no idea what theyre talking about lol. They want a rebuild but cry when we suck. Same **** happens in Baseball. I'd say most T.O fans are delusional bandwagoners truth be told.
LOL, wow are you clueless. People wouldn't be crying if they had their 1st round picks to go with a rebuild.

Seguin and Hamilton would look nice in our system right now.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:54 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
It's this kind of argument that's always annoyed me the most over the past few years. You can't say that people can't endure a rebuild because they are complaining when the team trades away it's picks that are the reason people can endure sucking. Even now can only partially apply since the previous actions has eroded people's resilience against this kind of situation. Not to mention when expectations are set by the person in charge and then not met it makes it even more of a stretch to expect people to just take it.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Dreakmur

There's a difference between rebuilding and just failing to ice a winning team. Burke has done the latter.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:22 AM
eyeball11

Quote:

you are saying we don't want a rebuild cause we're *****ing when we suck? you're forgetting the part where most 'rebuilds' are accompanied by the acquisition of great/ elite talent.

that's what we're frustrated about. we suck so much yet we get minimal elite talent to show for it...
You mean like say Los Angeles and all their lottery picks? Maybe you meant Boston and all their lottery picks.....

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:37 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Trading two key pieces to Boston and then missing the playoffs anyway,genius at work.Signing Komisarek to $5 million,astute talent assesment.Overpaying Connolly when no one wanted him,then being forced to pay Grabovski("$5 million for Grabovski is ludicrous!").There is no way the new ownership wont be able to see the truculence and testosterone this club embodies.Missing the playoffs 4 years and having absolutely no elite talent to show is something none of us could ever do.And for his final gaffe..Luongo at $64 million.He runs the Leafs like Enron.
I love the fact that Burke gets blamed for something that hasn't even happened.

He didn't trade 2 key pieces, he traded 2 picks and last I checked, Luongo was a Canuck.

But why let facts get in the way of a great rant?

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:42 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Trading two key pieces to Boston and then missing the playoffs anyway,genius at work.Signing Komisarek to $5 million,astute talent assesment.Overpaying Connolly when no one wanted him,then being forced to pay Grabovski("$5 million for Grabovski is ludicrous!").There is no way the new ownership wont be able to see the truculence and testosterone this club embodies.Missing the playoffs 4 years and having absolutely no elite talent to show is something none of us could ever do.And for his final gaffe..Luongo at $64 million.He runs the Leafs like Enron.
lol. Couldn't have said it better.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:44 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
This was a re-tool not a rebuild unless you missed the first year of his hire. We're not delusional, we can actually read and write and make informed choices and know when we are getting BS'd! Don't spin it some other way.

You don't rebuild by trading away your two first round pics in consecutive years with one of them being a lottery pic.

Last edited by daveleaf: 06-18-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old
06-18-2012, 08:46 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Wow, what an amazing discussion in here. I've never seen something as original as this around these parts.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:54 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
You mean like say Los Angeles and all their lottery picks? Maybe you meant Boston and all their lottery picks.....
you mean like doughty and schenn? boston never had to go to a rebuild. they got to win and get top picks thanks to our gm lmfao

i am not sure if you're being serious or trying to be stupid

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:16 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
you mean like doughty and schenn? boston never had to go to a rebuild. they got to win and get top picks thanks to our gm lmfao

Yes actually, Boston spent 6 years rebuilding and won the Cup with all of 4 self drafted regulars in their lineup without a single one of them being 1st rounders. LA had one self drafted high draft pick in their lineup. The rest of them were guys who took between 6 and 9 years to get to where they are today and I gaurantee, 5 years into their development you wouldn't have predicted ANY of them to be stars.

What's "stupid" is the number of people around here who think Burke should possess some miraculous magic potion that causes his prospects to defy all laws of development that apply to every other team's draftees. His prospects all have 3 years or less worth of development in them. Just like you wouldn't have picked out LA's stars 5 years in, I'll bet huge sums of money that you (and everyone else on here) have little idea where or what Burke's picks will pan out as, despite the fact you are already certain what their outcomes are.

You would (and many others) have us believe you are up for a rebuild while you clearly aren't as you don't understand what's involved in a rebuild. What you like is shiny things (i.e. only high draft picks). Many things that become shiny take time and formation, not unlike a diamond. Teams like Detroit, Philly, etc. are a testament to this.

Last edited by eyeball11: 06-18-2012 at 09:29 AM.
eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Hurt

I merged them.

06-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
This was a re-tool not a rebuild unless you missed the first year of his hire.
Apparently you missed every year since then, if you think that's still the case.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:24 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I'd like to hear from hockeyfanz on this interview.
Hahaha...wondering why Deebo? To be honest, I don't watch Burke in interviews anymore. What for? Has he said anything new? Its always the same ole banter...what is he going to say that will make things better in Leafland? Let his actions speak for him. Let the results speak for him. Everything else doesn't matter Deebo. Talk is cheap. From what I've read in this thread....synopsis of the interview...seems like he is just repeating the same old stuff. Except he has gone from a top 6/bottom 6 ideology to a top 8/9 bottom 3/4.

He wants the Cup parade to be 10 miles long too.....thats new. What a load of hogwash. Let the parade jokes continue.......Reminds me of the guys at the office standing around in the kitchen talking about what they will do when they win the
30M dollar 6/49 jackpot.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:31 AM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:

You mean the Schenn that LA traded for a scorer? Where have I heard that... lottery pick for a scorer.. lottery pick for a scorer.. Hmmm..

Boston never had to go through a rebuild because they had players obtained through trade after they won the cup? How does that make any sense?

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:37 AM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
LOL, wow are you clueless. People wouldn't be crying if they had their 1st round picks to go with a rebuild.

Seguin and Hamilton would look nice in our system right now.
So would Crosby. And Malkin. And Stamkos. Too bad none of those players were ever going to be on our team, just like Seguin and Hamilton, since those were the positions received after the trade and all its impacts took place.

And since we have the most 1st round picks in our system from the past 4 years in the league, it can't be a lack of 1st round picks..

Old
06-18-2012, 10:46 AM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:

PPG winger Kessel, PPG winger Lupul, top-pairing defenceman Phaneuf, blue-chip prospect Gardiner, high potential prospect/players Kadri and Schenn, as well as a completely restocked cupboard of impactful prospects which include the most 1st rounders in the past 4 drafts in the league, with a 5th overall (and 35th overall) to come in the next draft.

That means we will have at least 5 lottery-quality prospects or players of that quality acquired by Burke in 4 drafts and 3 and a half years, not even counting Schenn who was a lottery pick himself, or Kadri, who was a 7th overall pick.

That's more than most rebuilding teams get in this amount of time.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:06 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Apparently you missed every year since then, if you think that's still the case.
Tell Burke that. You don't trade two first and a second. Put in stop gap goaling to win games at the end of the year if you are rebuilding. He called it a re-tool that is turning into a rebuild minus all the top prospects.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:11 AM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Tell Burke that. You don't trade two first and a second. Put in stop gap goaling to win games at the end of the year if you are rebuilding. He called it a re-tool that is turning into a rebuild minus all the top prospects.
Except we have all the top prospects and players that would come with a rebuild. A lot of them are just a little bit older so they aren't considered prospects on here, and are easier to pick apart than shiny new players that haven't yet played a game.

You DO trade two firsts and a second if the player coming back is worth it, and he was.

You DO play hockey with a goalie, regardless of if you want to lose or not.

That all has nothing to do with rebuilding or re-tooling or anything. It's called running a hockey team.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:20 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
Except we have all the top prospects and players that would come with a rebuild. A lot of them are just a little bit older so they aren't considered prospects on here, and are easier to pick apart than shiny new players that haven't yet played a game.

You DO trade two firsts and a second if the player coming back is worth it, and he was.

You DO play hockey with a goalie, regardless of if you want to lose or not.

That all has nothing to do with rebuilding or re-tooling or anything. It's called running a hockey team.
What are these top rated prospects you are talking about? Kadri is the only player with gifted hands and he is small. There is no depth down the middle, he has signed some really bad UFA's. I give him credit for Lupul and Gardiner but I would take Seguin, Hamilton, Knight over Kessel everyday and any day of the week.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:42 AM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
What are these top rated prospects you are talking about? Kadri is the only player with gifted hands and he is small. There is no depth down the middle, he has signed some really bad UFA's. I give him credit for Lupul and Gardiner but I would take Seguin, Hamilton, Knight over Kessel everyday and any day of the week.
Well, if you would look above, you would see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
PPG winger Kessel, PPG winger Lupul, top-pairing defenceman Phaneuf, blue-chip prospect Gardiner, high potential prospect/players Kadri and Schenn, as well as a completely restocked cupboard of impactful prospects which include the most 1st rounders in the past 4 drafts in the league, with a 5th overall (and 35th overall) to come in the next draft.

That means we will have at least 5 lottery-quality prospects or players of that quality acquired by Burke in 4 drafts and 3 and a half years, not even counting Schenn who was a lottery pick himself, or Kadri, who was a 7th overall pick.

That's more than most rebuilding teams get in this amount of time.
Kadri may be small, but he plays with toughness and attitude. That's one of the reasons Burke drafted him. And in terms of puck control and "dangling", he is probably the most talented player in the organization.

Once we acquire a 1st line center, we will have exceptional centre depth. The problem is, acquiring a number one center is hard to do, but all of you expect it to happen in an instant. We may get our center in the draft this year.

He has signed some bad UFAs (including some like Beachemin which turned into a goldmine). He has signed some good UFAs (including Macarthur, which was the best bang for your buck player that year). That's what UFA is. You win some, you lose some, because you're getting the player for free. The good UFAs got us a good player for free. The bad UFAs got us either a bad player at no cost, or a bunch of great pieces for the future like Lupul and Gardiner.

You may take Seguin, Hamilton, Knight (which isn't what we traded) over Kessel, but so far, only one player from each side has made the NHL, and the Leafs got the better end of that. If it turns out to be a loss for the Leafs, oh fricken well. The number of worse trades is endless, even in recent memory. It's not even the worst Boston-Toronto trade since the lockout. We got a PPG goal-scoring winger out of it.

You win some, you lose some, and Burke has more than made up for any "mistakes" he may have made in his short time here.