HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Talk. Gilman: "Conceivable we make a deal this weekend"

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 04:26 AM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
I don't pull anything out of my ass, I would rather leave my sources to myself... I don't post BS rumors

Just thought i would share with you guys what i heard.
So you have more than one "source"? What accurate info have they gleaned in the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post

Not so - as it happens, I didn't use to be a Canucks fan. I didn't like Crawford or Cloutier, and I didn't much care for Bertuzzi either (I think you alluded to him earlier) and I wasn't a fan of the Canucks at this point. So I wouldn't say I have blind support, and I'm not worried about keeping my fan card.

The thing that gets to me, however, is that Luongo is not a bad goalie - he is one of the best goalies of this generation! Truly! This is why it upsets me. Does this make sense?

Not in a plutocracy...
I understand disliking your team/players being boo'ed but it's a part of professional sports. Get paid millions of dollars to play a game that many of us would do for a fraction of that wage, charge fans hundreds of dollars to watch and support them and if they don't put forth a respectable effort, they could earn the ire of the crowd...it's the nature of sport.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:34 AM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
What time is the draft at? 4PM?
Yup, draft starts at 4PM PST on TSN (for CAN viewers) and NBCSN (for US viewers and will probably be airing the TSN feed).

Old
06-22-2012, 04:35 AM
Elbows of Bure

vCash: 50
My apologies, I did re-read your initial post on boo-ing, and you do not mention the trade. But... posting about the "most embarrassing moment" in Canucks' history on the eve of a potential Luongo trade made me jump to the keyboard.

As for the two situations: property/reputation damage versus the team's hurt feelings, the first completely overshadows the second.

Why? One involved physical violence, the second involved the simplest, easiest way for the spectators to critique "their" team. It's absolutely absurd to compare the two. Fans boo teams *all* the time ie "The fans are really giving the team the bronx jeer for their anemic powerplay." Fans do not tend to riot nearly as much. While I know frequency of occurrence is no measure of "shamefulness," social acceptability is. Simply put, nothing about rioting after the loss was socially acceptable, or worthwhile.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:50 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
It's not, because the government doesn't represent you. But if you're a fan of the Canucks, then they do.
That's an interesting perspective. I have a voice in who sits in gov't - I have no voice in who dresses in Canucks colors. Seems to me the only organization "representing" here is by the government.

Anyway, I certainly don't feel the Canucks "represent" me at all. If they represent anyone, it's their owner. If fans want to boo, that's fine with me. Perhaps that would be different if they actually made an effort to have locally-grown players, but they don't.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:54 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Let's not get off topic. It appears Darren Dreger said now there's four teams interested in Luongo. This guy is a complete tool, first he says there's no market for Luongo, now he's retracting his previous statement? And he expects to retain any sort of credibility after this?

Old
06-22-2012, 05:18 AM
MS

Quote:
This is not what i was saying. I said it's the most shameful moment in our history that I have experienced because we booed our goalie. Not ran him out of town. But booed him off the ice. And I said the goalie is the leader of the team, and when you boo the goalie, you boo the team. And I said the team represents the fans, so when you boo the team, you boo the fans. And when you boo the fans, you boo yourselves.
Yeesh, harden the **** up.

Every fanbase in every sport has booed and will boo a high-priced player who is playing like crap.

Don't make it sound like Vancouver fans are some shameful mob who have done something that fans in other cities wouldn't dream of doing.

Canuck fans are generally so soft on this team it's ridiculous. Go look at what happens to sports teams/players in New York/Boston/Philly when they under-perform.

Booing the team isn't 'booing yourselves'. It's criticizing a player(s) you feel is letting down your jersey and/or wasting the money you've spent on tickets. Whether Luongo merited it or not is another discussion, but this 15 y/o emo crap is ridiculous.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:30 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Let's not get off topic. It appears Darren Dreger said now there's four teams interested in Luongo. This guy is a complete tool, first he says there's no market for Luongo, now he's retracting his previous statement? And he expects to retain any sort of credibility after this?
To be fair, things can develop out of no where and he said there was no market for him currently or a small one with just 1 or 2 teams. He did say that could change in the future. Maybe a team that wasn't interested in Luongo before is now. You can't really blame him for that.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:32 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
If Schneider is traded then I have no faith that this franchise will make the correct moves to make this team a winner.
and the correct move to make this team a winner would be to keep our signed goalie at a $5.3m bargain basement cap hit, yeah sure it's 10 yrs but for the next 5,6 or even 7 yrs we don't have to worry about goaltending and does anybody really believe that Luongo will still be playing 7 yrs from now
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Luongo is a franchise goaltender.
I have to disagree Luongo is a PROVEN franchise goaltender and can anybody say that about Schneider sure he's a good goalie and maybe someday a great goalie but 68 games doesn't make him a franchise goaltender think Andrew Raycroft or even Bryzgalov

[QUOTE=Elbows of Bure;51229721]@ Socratic:
Schneider as an RFA is due for a raise, whether he is playing for Vancouver next year, or is part of a trade to improve the Canucks. The truth of the matter is the Canucks will trade Luongo if the trade improves the team. Luongo has definitively stated that he wants to leave. He stated he would waive his no trade clause if it improves the team. While you may choose to construct the narrative that Luongo made that statement on the basis that fans were boo-ed him. I do not.
Luongo has never stated that he wants a trade but has said that he would accept a trade if it improves the team
If Luongo is traded then I have no faith that this franchise will make the correct moves to make this team a winner. I can see one of two things happening if the Canucks decide to keep Schneider over Luongo. 1) He has a Vezina candidate season, becomes a UFA at the end of the season looking for a truckload of cash, Toronto comes along with that truckload of cash (think Brzgalov), we lose him to free agency and we're out searching for a Luongo like goalie. 2) he ***** the bed and turns out to be a career backup (think Andrew Raycroft) and again we're out looking for a Luongo like goalie.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Elbows of Bure

vCash: 50
@Jay

There is a third option for Schneider. He could sign a multi-year deal and play well. If management opts to keep Schneider over Luongo, I hope he does play well... and I certainly hope they sign him to a multi-year contract. I'm sure Schneider's (un)willingness to sign a long-term contract is factoring into Gillis and Gillman's goaltender decision.

(And I noticed a major typo in your quotation of mine: I meant to say "not definitively asked for a trade")

Closed Thread