HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings Fans, Going Into Next Season Would You?

Old
06-21-2012, 09:45 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 500
Kings Fans, Going Into Next Season Would You?

This is kind of a trade question but doesnt really fit in the Trade Section Category. Mods feel free to move this if you feel best for the forum.

Kings and Flyers fans based on how these players looked this season past season, would either of you accept a trade today if it was:

LA Trades: Mike Richards

to

Philly For:

Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, 2013 2nd round pick.

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:56 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Not sure if this is a serious thread or just mocking Philly...

*beardscratch*

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
No way

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:21 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Yeah, no way, I think LA's going to be holding onto Mike Richards.

06-21-2012, 11:20 AM
backofthenet

This is the same as saying "was the trade worth it?" I think we all know the answer to that.

Having said that...it was a fair trade for both. Leave as is and move on.

backofthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Loved Simmonds, but I'd still do that trade without having any second doubts. Richards may not have set the world on fire with his stats but he was monumental in his performance in the playoffs.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
No, he legitimizes our top 6. The Richards trade was the turning point for the whole team upward. They had a top center, defenseman, and goaltender, all while being one of the best defensive teams in the league. What the Richards trade did was finally make our top 6 a threat. Before his concussion, during the first quarter of the season, we were on fire, when he went down, our offense went into the toilet. It is clear why. Mike Richards is the main/turning piece in making this team a contender. With him healthy, this team is a threat to score and keep the puck out of the net.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:30 PM
KBA4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
No, he legitimizes our top 6. The Richards trade was the turning point for the whole team upward. They had a top center, defenseman, and goaltender, all while being one of the best defensive teams in the league. What the Richards trade did was finally make our top 6 a threat. Before his concussion, during the first quarter of the season, we were on fire, when he went down, our offense went into the toilet. It is clear why. Mike Richards is the main/turning piece in making this team a contender. With him healthy, this team is a threat to score and keep the puck out of the net.
Yup. He had something like 22 points in 27 games before the concussion. Now that he's recovered and will have a threat on his wing, I think he'll get back up into his normal 60ish point range next year

KBA4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:36 PM
cyclones22

Nope. It took quite awhile for Richards to even gain chemistry with his teammates. Schenn would have zero chemistry with this team. Simmonds would be the third line RW again, and would not score 28 goals in this system. It's more than just putting up fantasy hockey stats. Plus, you can't discount the fact that the Kings will not have to worry about any contracts with their top 2 centers until 2017. That is huge in the Cap era.

With Richards on the squad, I was confident that the team would bring it in the Playoffs with his on ice leadership and intensity and I would have to think that rubs off on his teammates as well. He set the tone for the entire Playoffs in Game 1 of the Vancouver series. Whether that really means a damn thing, I don't know. I just know this guy has now won on every single level and was a key component to each championship he's helped win. They won a Cup with Richards and that's all that matters to me and that kind of quality is what DL looks for, why he brought in Williams, Scuderi, Stoll and Greene. Guys who've been to the Cup Final. I'm sure some people scoffed when DL and Luc said Richards was a winner everywhere he went, because of the Final loss to Chicago. Can't say that anymore.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Schenn10

I wouldn't reverse this deal as a Flyers fan either. Simmonds was incredible, and Schenn is going to be part of our core into the future. Trade is a win-win

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:40 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

No taksies backsies.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It also helps that the Kings brought up a player who plays a similar style to Simmonds in Jordan Nolan. He may not be as fast or as skilled as Simmonds, but he is so strong along the boards and wins lots of battles around corners. The trade for Richards opened an opportunity for the team to find a better balance throughout all four forward lines (and it was also helped with the addition of Jeff Carter).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:42 PM
GTA Fan
ಠ_ಠ

vCash: 50
Flyers lost the trade, Kings won the cup. Coincidence?

GTA Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:42 PM
KingsFan7824

It should be an annual trade between the Kings and Flyers every summer. The 3 players should go back and forth, and whoever wins the most Cups wins the trade.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
I wouldn't reverse this deal as a Flyers fan either. Simmonds was incredible, and Schenn is going to be part of our core into the future. Trade is a win-win
Completely agree here.

Kings got the Cup and Flyers got a superb core for the future

Best example of win-win

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Perro

As a Kings fan I would do the deal again.
Now that we have Carter him Schenn and Simmonds would help solidfy our 2nd/3rd lines. Also this would free up space to after Parise.
I am a big Richards fan and feel he will be getting over 70 points next season, I am gratefull that he helped get the kingsthe cup, however some "new" blood needs to brought in to keep the room hungry for another cup.
It's the opposite of damned if you do damned if you don't. I am good either way.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 658
Philly got some great young players while freeing up the space to let Giroux shine, don't see why Philly fans complain about the trade.

LA won a cup, don't see why they would complain.

Further into hindsight we may begin to see who won/loss the trade, but for now it honestly does seem like a wash, possibly even Philly benefiting more from the trade in my opinion even though LA won the cup.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Fan View Post
Flyers lost the trade, Kings won the cup. Coincidence?
Why does there have to be a loser? Looks like a clear cut win/win to me.
As far as the Kings go, as was mentioned, they brought up someone with a similar game to Simmonds in Nolan to fill that role. Just as they brought up Voynov when they traded Johnson. The reason you stockpile assets is to trade your strengths to address weaknesses. The Kings had a gaping hole in 2nd line offensive threats. They brought in established players and legitimized their top 6.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:33 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Thread title by Yoda.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

No way. Not even close. Mike Richards is what we needed for a long time. A legitimate second line center. Both teams benefited. Philly will be happy long-term and the Kings are in a window and needed Richards. The definition of a win-win. I apologize in advance for any Cup comments regarding Philly that will eventually show up

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Completely agree here.

Kings got the Cup and Flyers got a superb core for the future

Best example of win-win
Carter trade too was win win

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Philly got the most bodies in that deal but Richie brought in Gagne and the deal probably led to Carter too, which enabled quality playing time for King and Penner.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

I'd love to get Simmonds back, but no.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:57 PM
cyclones22

Actually, now that I think about it. I'd say it's a win-who the hell cares scenario. I don't care what Schenn, Simmonds, JJ or those draft picks do in the future. No Cup is guaranteed, except for the one you've already won. As another forum poster so eloquently stated, 1 Cup in the hand is worth 2 in your dreams.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:07 PM
ComradeChris

Dude you should have made this thread with Toronto and Boston.

Tyler Seguin
Doug Hamilton
Jared Knight

Phil Kessel

Think Boston does this? I'm not so sure...

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote