HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Should Buffalo go for Nash?

Old
06-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
To

LW Rick Nash ($7.8M)
C Boone Jenner ($925K)

To

LW Thomas Vanek ($7.143M)
G Jhonas Enroth ($675K)
D Mark Pysyk ($870K ELC)
2012 2nd RND pick [CGY #44]

Thoughts?
I wouldn't, but i'm very against trading for Nash. Vanek for Nash is too lateral (granted nash is the better player) plus we would be trading a promising goalie and we would then have to replace him. A promising most likely NHL destined D man and the 44th pick. We could grab a Jenner type player with one of our picks. Plus we have more versatility with vanek as his contract is up 3(?) years before nash's.

Last edited by Sabres Fan UK: 06-17-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:19 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
To

LW Rick Nash ($7.8M)
C Boone Jenner ($925K)

To

LW Thomas Vanek ($7.143M)
G Jhonas Enroth ($675K)
D Mark Pysyk ($870K ELC)
2012 2nd RND pick [CGY #44]

Thoughts?
CBJ doesn't take that. They want more forwards coming back than D. I think you'd have to give them Armia rather than Pysyk, and they'd consider it.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Vanek>Nash

Nash is easily the most overrated player in the league, playing on a bad team is no excuse. If your on a bad team that means your getting more ice-time which should mean higher production. Look at Vanek, his career PPG is actually slightly above Nash's and gets nowhere near the ice time he does. Vanek is better then Nash and on a better contract. ( lower term/cap hit/ amount owed )

But I will say this, Regier might still covet Nash and might make a play for him, remember that he had tried trading up to #1 in 02 to draft him.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:31 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Lets hope Regier isn't that high on Nash anymore.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:39 PM
SabreBlood

Doesn't Nash have a list of teams he's willing to be traded to, and Buffalo isn't on it?

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post

But I will say this, Regier might still covet Nash and might make a play for him, remember that he had tried trading up to #1 in 02 to draft him.
Coveting a top prospect in 2002 doesn't mean you'd want to trade for him 10 years later.

On another note, I agree with those saying the Sabres should stay as far away from Nash as possible. With the amount of cash he's making, I would want a real game-breaker, a true franchise cornerstone. Some might say Nash is a franchise guy...but look at his franchise. (Insert Price is Right buzzer sound here.)

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:56 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
Doesn't Nash have a list of teams he's willing to be traded to, and Buffalo isn't on it?
I'm sure if the Columbus GM said choose here or Buffalo he would probably change that.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Coveting a top prospect in 2002 doesn't mean you'd want to trade for him 10 years later.

On another note, I agree with those saying the Sabres should stay as far away from Nash as possible. With the amount of cash he's making, I would want a real game-breaker, a true franchise cornerstone. Some might say Nash is a franchise guy...but look at his franchise. (Insert Price is Right buzzer sound here.)
These cliches drive me crazy ("real" game breaker, "true" fanchise player). They're right up there with "thats not the kind of #1 center you can win a Cup with".

Too many posters are trying to make a teams success about one player. About the player that you "win" with, the "franchise" player.

-E.Staal is considered to be a player that fits all those cliches yet his team has only made the playoffs once in 6 years. Once the supporting cast he had on that Cup run began to disappear from Carolina his team success went away. His rep was also built up by a fluke season in 05-06weith the game opening up with the rule changes, etc. He's pretty much a 75pt center and has been the last 6 years. His 05-06 season is an outlier. But thats a seperate discussion.

-Getzlaf is another one. He is fits all the cliches. Yet in a few years after the Cup win many key parts left the Ducks. Now they've only made the playoffs 1x in the last 3 years.

- Toews to a lesser extent as well, Once the depth they had that led to the Cup win left. The Hawks haven't made it out of the first round. They havne't dropped off as fasr as the other two examples but they have dropped off.

Well built teams win and poorly built teams lose. Neither is caused by one player nor does one player influence things as much as some try to argue they do.

Getzlaf and Staal have had no more success with crappy teams than Nash has.

EDIT: I'm not arguing we should get Nash btw. I just think fans are WAY too harsh on individual players for a teams lack of success (I'm as guilty of it as anyone)

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Imlach a cup

If the rumor that Kane isn't resigning with the jets is true I'd take that package and offer it to them. As for Nash, he's a very good player but not worth the price tag

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:32 PM
McTank

Why give up assets when you can probably get parise at a similar contract to what nash had

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:54 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Why give up assets when you can probably get parise at a similar contract to what nash had
We'd still have to lose assets to sign Parise..It's not like we have the cap space to just sign him. Not really super-interested in either though, tbh. Would much rather fix our problems up the middle first.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:59 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't want Nash. I prefer Vanek to him. Nash is vastly overrated and overpaid. Vanek is overpaid and is a required sniper on this team.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:56 AM
HiddenInLight

No thanks for Nash. Id rather use the package we'd be trading for him to get another center or cbj's first round pick.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
He's not Vanek at all, his speed, his physicality make him far better. Sure he doesn't put up a lot of points and he's overpaid, but if I had to pick between one of the two, I'd like Nash on my team over Vanek.
Since when is Nash a physical player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
If I'm going to throw 7.8M at someone...Parise is out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
That being said, I have a weird feeling that the Sabres overextend here. I could see them having Nash up there as the BPA of the trade market, and Pegula doesn't like to let his big fish go......
Really? He gave up on chasing the biggest fish (Richards) of last summer and instead settled for a sardine (Leino).

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Reddawg

I would take Nash if we *also* got a legit #1 center to park between Nash and Vanek as well, but without that there's really no point in trading for Nash. No point whatsoever in trading Vanek *for* Nash either, you'll still be in the same boat without a high end pivot to dish the puck.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Missed this earlier. Short answer? No. Not a fan of Nash, his contract, or the mythic status of what little he's accomplished. Regier likes him -- even tried to trade up to get him in '02 in Toronto -- but that contract and his production? I'd rather they look for motivated, self-starters who have a track record of elevating those around them. Enough "playing out of character".

06-18-2012, 04:47 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

As I've said when his name is brought up before, he's the most overrated player in hockey for me. He's a first line winger but gets the hype that he's something more, a true superstar, game-changer, etc. If the rumored asking price at the deadline is half that, I still wouldn't do it. We have bigger issues on this team than adding another winger who doesn't produce more than Vanek does while playing 3-4 minutes a game, at least.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I would take Nash if we *also* got a legit #1 center to park between Nash and Vanek as well, but without that there's really no point in trading for Nash. No point whatsoever in trading Vanek *for* Nash either, you'll still be in the same boat without a high end pivot to dish the puck.
And Vanek passes the puck better than Nash does as shown when Vanek is the primary puck handler on his line.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:54 PM
littletonhockeycoach

When I hear Nash's name I think of Shane Doan. I don't know why because Rick Nash is no Shane Doan.

I sure wish we had Doan. He was a beast this past playoff.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote