HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Lucia also had two goals tonight. Should be interesting to see what USAH does with them.
I think Lucia has to be in the way he's returned from his injury

Old
12-02-2012, 03:52 AM
Sean Monahan
JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED

vCash: 50
No love for Sieloff around here?

Old
12-02-2012, 04:26 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Can anyone confirm whether Matteau actually plays center? He's been taking between 3-8 faceoffs a game (generally winning a very good % of them) since the season started, but I don't know if it's just an Iginla sorta thing where he takes them because he's good at them, and then moves to wing.
I think he's more of a Winger, and the few games I've seen him play this year (as BLB is often on TV and they are divisional rivals of my hometown team, even though he's often suspended ) he has been on the wing, Left wing that is.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
there are enough burners on this team to allow for a Biggs/Matteau to make this squad.

The overrating of big ice on here sometimes is madness! It will have an affect on certain games, but nothing earth shattering like some claim it to be. if anything, the big ice stops the flow of the game that we have enjoyed from the previous North American WJC's...too much ice can lead to less hitting, battling, and back and forth play...sometimes teams just get lost in their own end at times with all that room.

Biggs is a player that works best inside the bluelines. He wont have an issue between the bluelines as thats not his game. He will do just fine keeping up on the big ice, but in tournaments like these, you simply need guys who can outmuscle and outwork opponents in the corners and infront of the next, which is exactly what Biggs does best. No matter the ice size, that role is still needed 110%.

you are acting as if these games are just back and forth matches of ping pong on ice, with no moments of cycling down low and corner work going on. Biggs will have a specific role to play, and there will be plenty of time during every game where he will get to play his role...not bringing him for fear of a bigger ice surface is beyond stupid and idiotic combined.

you dont leave your best warrior at home for a battle.
I think you really nailed it with this post. The last thing you want is a one dimensional team. There are a multitude of ways to win a hockey game and you need to prepare for every style that your opponent is going to throw at you.

I also find it interesting to see this American infatuation with a speedy teams. Ever since that one game where you beat Canada and had three breakaways in the process, it seems like the US has decided that's how every game's going to be won. Don't get me wrong, fast is better than slow but as I already mentioned, there are other ways to win hockey games.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:12 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Can anyone confirm whether Matteau actually plays center? He's been taking between 3-8 faceoffs a game (generally winning a very good % of them) since the season started, but I don't know if it's just an Iginla sorta thing where he takes them because he's good at them, and then moves to wing.
I remember seing him at center during his time with the NTDP. To be honest though, lots of the US '94 group that played with the NTDP got shifted around a lot. Kerdiles and Henrik Samuelsson also are guys that would be playing center in one game then wing in another.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:57 AM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
there are enough burners on this team to allow for a Biggs/Matteau to make this squad.

The overrating of big ice on here sometimes is madness! It will have an affect on certain games, but nothing earth shattering like some claim it to be. if anything, the big ice stops the flow of the game that we have enjoyed from the previous North American WJC's...too much ice can lead to less hitting, battling, and back and forth play...sometimes teams just get lost in their own end at times with all that room.

Biggs is a player that works best inside the bluelines. He wont have an issue between the bluelines as thats not his game. He will do just fine keeping up on the big ice, but in tournaments like these, you simply need guys who can outmuscle and outwork opponents in the corners and infront of the next, which is exactly what Biggs does best. No matter the ice size, that role is still needed 110%.

you are acting as if these games are just back and forth matches of ping pong on ice, with no moments of cycling down low and corner work going on. Biggs will have a specific role to play, and there will be plenty of time during every game where he will get to play his role...not bringing him for fear of a bigger ice surface is beyond stupid and idiotic combined.

you dont leave your best warrior at home for a battle.
Then why didn't he make the team last year? You don't need to give me a run down on how Biggs plays I watch him every Sunday, I know how he plays and the role he brings and the US don't need it. Just like they didn't need him last year, when they left their "best warrior" at home in battle...

Old
12-02-2012, 11:10 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Then why didn't he make the team last year? You don't need to give me a run down on how Biggs plays I watch him every Sunday, I know how he plays and the role he brings and the US don't need it. Just like they didn't need him last year, when they left their "best warrior" at home in battle...
Biggs is a better player this year than he was last year. He played well at the US evaluation camp this past summer and I think there could certainly be a role for him this year. I'd be quite surprised if he's not on the preliminary roster and if he plays the way he did this summer he'll likely end up on the team.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:39 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Great news to hear positive numbers from Lucia and Kerdiles so far.

I said that if these two kids can come back and be effective right away, they both will be making a strong case to make this squad. They both bring size, skill, and speed which will just add another level of depth to this roster.

Keep it going guys...

Old
12-02-2012, 12:59 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Kerdiles shot tipped in. Goal changed to Dahl. He got credit for the assist though.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Gostisbehere had a goal and 2 assists yesterday.

Now has 13 points in 13 games on the season for Union.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:42 PM
67sfan

How are you Americans looking this year? Going to be another dabacle of a tourney or will this team be competitive?

I'm not trying to stir the pot at all....just know next to nothing about your prospective players.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
So how did that work out for the US last year?

Old
12-02-2012, 05:37 PM
William H Bonney

Well, the evaluation period is over. The preliminary roster will be released on Tuesday morning. It was previously reported that there would be 27 players invited - 15 forwards, 9 defensemen, and 3 goalies. However, I'm hopeful that they'll at least invite 2 extra forwards (they've been bringing 29 players to the camp for the last few years) because 2 of the guys in contention are still rounding back into game shape and the depth for the bottom 7 forward spots is strong.

Forwards (x15):

Riley Barber
Tyler Biggs
Reid Boucher
Matt DeBlouw
Alex Galchenyuk
John Gaudreau
Rocco Grimaldi
Ryan Hartman
Mario Lucia
J.T. Miller
Stefan Noesen
Danny O'Regan
Blake Pietila
Vincent Trocheck
Jim Vesey

Defense (x9):

Shayne Gostisbehere
Matt Grzlecyk
Seth Jones
Jake McCabe
Connor Murphy
Mike Reilly
Patrick Sieloff
Jacob Trouba
Andy Welinski

Goalies (x3):

John Gibson
Jon Gillies
Garret Sparks

Notes:

- I tried to blend my picks between what I think they should do and what I think they will actually do. For example, I think Adam Erne deserves to be there (and I'd have him on my final team unless he bombed at the camp) but I'm not sure USAH is going to invite an underager from the QMJHL until I see it.

- If they do choose to invite 17 forwards like last year instead of the rumored 15, I think they'll bring along Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Matteau as well. Bringing along only 15 forwards would be a mistake. That means only 2 forwards would be cut and I'd prefer to see more competition than that, especially since there are good players to invite.

- I think Sean Kuraly's slow start may have caught up to him, especially since Lucia and Kerdiles have both looked good upon their returns. An adjustment period to the NCAA is natural but I'm not sure he'll get as much leeway as a true freshman would since he'll be twenty in under two months. It's a shame as I think he's a better player than he's shown so far this year.

- USAH usually brings in at least one player most of us don't expect, such as Josh Archibald last year, Jamie Oleksiak the year before, Luke Walker the year before that, etc. I think they may do it again this year and I think Matt DeBlouw may be that pick. His skating ability, combined with his surprising offensive output so far to start his freshman season, make him a strong candidate for the 4th line center role.

- I'm torn on Brady Vail. Like Erne, I want to see him there and I've had him on my projected rosters for awhile. However, I'm not sure USAH is going to pass over NCAA centers that "they're more comfortable with" like O'Regan, DeBlouw, Boyd, Blackwell (out with a concussion still), etc. I think they'll choose 2 guys to compete for the 4th line center role and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these options there.

- I left off some good players and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these guys there as well: Kerdiles*, Matteau*, Erne, Vail, Boyd, Blackwell, Kuraly.

- I don't get the love for Henrik Samuelsson.

Let's see how wrong I can be!

Last edited by William H Bonney: 12-02-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old
12-02-2012, 05:49 PM
William H Bonney

Here's my projected camp roster from the WJC thread on the prospects board:

Quote:
Well, the evaluation period is over. The preliminary roster will be released on Tuesday morning. It was previously reported that there would be 27 players invited - 15 forwards, 9 defensemen, and 3 goalies. However, I'm hopeful that they'll at least invite 2 extra forwards (they've been bringing 29 players to the camp for the last few years) because 2 of the guys in contention are still rounding back into game shape and the depth for the bottom 7 forward spots is strong.

Forwards (x15):

Riley Barber
Tyler Biggs
Reid Boucher
Matt DeBlouw
Alex Galchenyuk
John Gaudreau
Rocco Grimaldi
Ryan Hartman
Mario Lucia
J.T. Miller
Stefan Noesen
Danny O'Regan
Blake Pietila
Vincent Trocheck
Jim Vesey

Defense (x9):

Shayne Gostisbehere
Matt Grzlecyk
Seth Jones
Jake McCabe
Connor Murphy
Mike Reilly
Patrick Sieloff
Jacob Trouba
Andy Welinski

Goalies (x3):

John Gibson
Jon Gillies
Garret Sparks

Notes:

- I tried to blend my picks between what I think they should do and what I think they will actually do. For example, I think Adam Erne deserves to be there (and I'd have him on my final team unless he bombed at the camp) but I'm not sure USAH is going to invite an underager from the QMJHL until I see it.

- If they do choose to invite 17 forwards like last year instead of the rumored 15, I think they'll bring along Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Matteau as well. Bringing along only 15 forwards would be a mistake. That means only 2 forwards would be cut and I'd prefer to see more competition than that, especially since there's good players to invite.

- I think Sean Kuraly's slow start may have caught up to him, especially since Lucia and Kerdiles have both looked good upon their returns. An adjustment period to the NCAA is natural but I'm not sure he'll get as much leeway as a true freshman would since he'll be twenty in under two months. It's a shame as I think he's a better player than he's shown so far this year.

- USAH usually brings in at least one player most of us don't expect, such as Josh Archibald last year, Jamie Oleksiak the year before, Luke Walker the year before that, etc. I think they may do it again this year and I think Matt DeBlouw may be that pick. His skating ability, combined with his surprising offensive output so far to start his freshman season, make him a strong candidate for the 4th line center role.

- I'm torn on Brady Vail. Like Erne, I want to see him there and I've had him on my projected rosters for awhile. However, I'm not sure USAH is going to pass over NCAA centers that "they're more comfortable with" like O'Regan, DeBlouw, Boyd, Blackwell (out with a concussion still), etc. I think they'll choose 2 guys to compete for the 4th line center role and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these options there.

- I left off some good players and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these guys there as well: Kerdiles*, Matteau*, Erne, Vail, Boyd, Blackwell, Kuraly.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:58 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sfan View Post
How are you Americans looking this year? Going to be another dabacle of a tourney or will this team be competitive?

I'm not trying to stir the pot at all....just know next to nothing about your prospective players.
Good thing you cleared that up, cause I was just about to ask how it feels to lose in the semis on home ice.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

I really like your team but I'd put in Kerdiles, maybe for O'Regan or DeBlouw. I hadn't really thought about DeBlouw making the prelim roster but it would make sense considering the way he's played this year. As you said I think Erne deserves to be there but I'm not convinced that he'll get the invite.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
I really like your team but I'd put in Kerdiles, maybe for O'Regan or DeBlouw. I hadn't really thought about DeBlouw making the prelim roster but it would make sense considering the way he's played this year. As you said I think Erne deserves to be there but I'm not convinced that he'll get the invite.
I wouldn't make that switch just because I think it would be a mistake to only go into camp with 4 centers (Gally, Grimaldi, Trocheck, and O'Regan or DeBlouw). However, I do think Kerdiles gets an invite because I think they bring more than the 27 players that was initially reported.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
I wouldn't make that switch just because I think it would be a mistake to only go into camp with 4 centers (Gally, Grimaldi, Trocheck, and O'Regan or DeBlouw). However, I do think Kerdiles gets an invite because I think they bring more than the 27 players that was initially reported.
Doesn't JT Miller primarily play center?

Old
12-02-2012, 07:05 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Doesn't JT Miller primarily play center?
He's listed as a center for Connecticut but I haven't seen any of their games so I don't know how he's doing at the position. However, he only played wing during the Summer Evaluation Camp so I don't think they're planning on using him at center, although it's a possibility if they decide they want more size there and move Rocco to the wing.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

It's a real shame that Kuraly has had such a disappointing start to the season as he was probably the most dangerous forward at the summer camp. Perhaps now that Galchenyuk really has his game back and Grimaldi will be available Kuraly won't be missed if they choose not to bring him.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:33 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
It's a real shame that Kuraly has had such a disappointing start to the season as he was probably the most dangerous forward at the summer camp. Perhaps now that Galchenyuk really has his game back and Grimaldi will be available Kuraly won't be missed if they choose not to bring him.
I've only caught 1 Miami game this year so I haven't had much of a chance to evaluate his play. His stats are obviously underwhelming but his strong camp may still get him to the final camp.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:15 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:

Forwards (x15):

Riley Barber
Tyler Biggs
Reid Boucher
Matt DeBlouw
Alex Galchenyuk
John Gaudreau
Rocco Grimaldi
Ryan Hartman
Mario Lucia
J.T. Miller
Stefan Noesen
Danny O'Regan
Blake Pietila
Vincent Trocheck
Jim Vesey

Defense (x9):

Shayne Gostisbehere
Matt Grzlecyk
Seth Jones
Jake McCabe
Connor Murphy
Mike Reilly
Patrick Sieloff
Jacob Trouba
Andy Welinski

Goalies (x3):

John Gibson
Jon Gillies
Garret Sparks

Notes:

- If they do choose to invite 17 forwards like last year instead of the rumored 15, I think they'll bring along Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Matteau as well. Bringing along only 15 forwards would be a mistake. That means only 2 forwards would be cut and I'd prefer to see more competition than that, especially since there are good players to invite.

Surprised to NOT see Matteau here. He and Biggs would create a very effective physical checking line...

Old
12-02-2012, 08:23 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Surprised to NOT see Matteau here. He and Biggs would create a very effective physical checking line...
The odds are good that he's there. His discipline is a concern though. Some tough choices.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Reinhart

I think DeBlouw gets on that initial list too. Skates like the wind and has been putting a great season together offensively, but there is a lot more to his game. Apparently, he has really high hockey IQ, and is dominant at faceoffs.

Seems like to me he is the 'ideal' 13th forward to have around, but I would still be surprised if he makes the final roster.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
So how did that work out for the US last year?
Yes they lost because they didn't have Biggs

Closed Thread