HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I wouldn't make that switch just because I think it would be a mistake to only go into camp with 4 centers (Gally, Grimaldi, Trocheck, and O'Regan or DeBlouw). However, I do think Kerdiles gets an invite because I think they bring more than the 27 players that was initially reported.
No Matteau in that roster?

Boucher is getting hot right at the right time.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Good thing you cleared that up, cause I was just about to ask how it feels to lose in the semis on home ice.
Scratch that, don't you mean:

Guess how many golds Canada has since then, oh wait...

Old
12-02-2012, 10:25 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
No Matteau in that roster?

Boucher is getting hot right at the right time.
If they bring 17 forwards I expect him there but to be honest he'll probably be there regardless. He's a loose canon and that's worrisome when every game means so much.?

12-03-2012, 04:11 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Here's my projected camp roster from the WJC thread on the prospects board:
USA hockey and their damn politics...

I think Erne and Vail should both make it, but that doesn't mean they'll make it as you pointed out.

Hate the fact that for USA hockey, if you're from the CHL, you start with a strike against you...

Hockey Québec is no better around here, they won't pick players who ditched the regular system to go in prep schools, unless you're an elite player.

I'm fed with politics in hockey...

Old
12-03-2012, 05:13 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Grimaldi - Galchenyuk - Boucher
Gaudreau - Miller - Noesen
Lucia - Trocheck - Erne
Biggs - Kerdiles - Matteau

Old
12-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Lucia - Trocheck - Erne
Except Gaudreau is the best option for top line winger.

I mean, don't get me wrong Grimaldi's 8 points in 12 games is almost as impressive as Gaudreau's 10 goals in 13 games.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post

I mean, don't get me wrong Grimaldi's 8 points in 12 games is almost as impressive as Gaudreau's 10 goals in 13 games.
Grimaldi also plays on the 3rd line... Regardless, they are both awesome players.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:21 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post

Here, I'll fix his lines for you...

Lucia - Trocheck - Erne

On a serious note, I actually have been somewhat intrigued by the notion of putting Grimaldi on Galchenyuk's wing as they could probably rotate in and out of the center position depending on the situation. I've been worried about a Gaudreau and Galchenyuk combination, which many seem to have favored for a long time, as they didn't show much chemistry at the summer evaluation. There are a lot of options with Gally but it's harder for me to think of who Gaudreau would do best with.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:04 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Here, I'll fix his lines for you...

Lucia - Trocheck - Erne

On a serious note, I actually have been somewhat intrigued by the notion of putting Grimaldi on Galchenyuk's wing as they could probably rotate in and out of the center position depending on the situation. I've been worried about a Gaudreau and Galchenyuk combination, which many seem to have favored for a long time, as they didn't show much chemistry at the summer evaluation. There are a lot of options with Gally but it's harder for me to think of who Gaudreau would do best with.
Really liking this team, Gaudreau should be a beast. Hopefully Gally will be too.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd really love to see this ******** NCAA bias disappear as soon as possible. Pick the best players to represent your nation. Screw the politics.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'd really love to see this ******** NCAA bias disappear as soon as possible. Pick the best players to represent your nation. Screw the politics.
It's more of a USNTDP bias than anything.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:00 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I hope the best kids do get picked for this eval camp, and I agree with Bonney that we will see a complete wildcard pick at forward that nobody really saw coming..

I also think we might see the same again on defense ala the Brian Lashoff pick...maybe Dylan Blujus perhaps...

There is plenty of talent to go around as usual, but it comes down to how our goaltending holds up, and how hungry and physical this team can be...

Big ice or not, I think we need to have some hammers on this roster like 2010 who are going to play the tough areas and will outwork our opponents. I think we have a very solid group of possible players that fill that role: Biggs, Matteau, Jacobs, Samuelsson, Vail, etc...

We have tons of speed with Gaudreau, Grimaldi, Boucher, Trocheck, etc.. This squad could be very well balanced with size/grit and speed/skill players... We are a true wildcard team that if certain players click, we can be very very dangerous to play against.

I think our defense will be top 3 for this tourney as it has tons of size and skill as usual.. I just hope we can man the point on power plays much better then 2011 as Murphy, Jones and Trouba seem very capable of working the point on power plays...as well as Grzlecyk, and Gostisbehere...

Goaltending will be the concern if Gibson is out for any period of time.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
StormSurge9

IF Gibson is out a long time, who do you see being the starter?

As a Guelph fan, I am wondering if Sparks has any shot at a starting role.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:29 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
I really wish there were clearer updates on Gibson status.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
IF Gibson is out a long time, who do you see being the starter?

As a Guelph fan, I am wondering if Sparks has any shot at a starting role.
It's probably between he and Gillies (if Gibson is out). Sparks has that "steal a game ability" so it would be interesting to see how he would fare.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:36 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
It's probably between he and Gillies (if Gibson is out). Sparks has that "steal a game ability" so it would be interesting to see how he would fare.
I wouldnt mind seeing Matt Mahalak over Sparks to be honest. Though both are solid, and Sparks a Chicago boy, I think Mahalak would be a better fit imo.

I think Mahalak has played in big games, has a lot of pressure playing in Plymouth, and does enough to stop the pucks that he should which is exactly what you ask for in these tournaments.

I think the 3 goalies invited to camp assuming Gibson is healthy should be:

Gibson, Gillies, and Mahalak...

Old
12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
He's listed as a center for Connecticut but I haven't seen any of their games so I don't know how he's doing at the position. However, he only played wing during the Summer Evaluation Camp so I don't think they're planning on using him at center, although it's a possibility if they decide they want more size there and move Rocco to the wing.
Without first-hand viewing, it is my understanding that he's been playing wing almost exclusively the past two seasons.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:42 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

you have to be pretty impressed with the year Robbie Russo is having as a sophmore for the Irish.

this kid has to be in contention for a invite as he has been awesome this year; leading the defense in scoring and tied for 2nd overall on the team in scoring... and from what I have seen in the few games I saw of the Illinois native, he looked pretty good in his own zone as well..

another sleeper.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:29 PM
bigbadbruins7

there are alwasy surprises come WJC evaluation camp and team picks. Canada not picking seth griffith to the camp surprised me and i hope team USA continues to surprise me and invite Adam Erne to the camp. would love to see him get a shot.

Also does anyone know why USA brings les people to camp than Canada. why not bring more people to get the competition up. I feel like that would benefit the team to have much more competition during the evaluation camp

Old
12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Xokkeu

Regarding a CHL bias, I don't think Erne would have made the team if he was playing the USHL or somehow in the NCAA regardless.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:39 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Regarding a CHL bias, I don't think Erne would have made the team if he was playing the USHL or somehow in the NCAA regardless.
idk if he would have made the team but i do feel that he deserves to be at the camp

Old
12-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
If they bring 17 forwards I expect him there but to be honest he'll probably be there regardless. He's a loose canon and that's worrisome when every game means so much.?
It's not like he's just reckless, he has a good amount of offense to him. I would be more shocked to see Matteau miss it then Boucher. I can very well see if the US is concerned with Boucher's one-dimensional game. He's rounded it out a bit, but he's a shooter and not much else right now.

Matteau on the other hand is that guy that plays on the edge, pisses the opponent off, crashes the net, and can put in goals too. As long as he manages to walk the line, he should be fine and he and Biggs are the type of players they can use to get under the more offensive players of Canada, Russia, etc.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
there are alwasy surprises come WJC evaluation camp and team picks. Canada not picking seth griffith to the camp surprised me and i hope team USA continues to surprise me and invite Adam Erne to the camp. would love to see him get a shot.

Also does anyone know why USA brings les people to camp than Canada. why not bring more people to get the competition up. I feel like that would benefit the team to have much more competition during the evaluation camp
It could be worse. It used to the final roster was named without the benefit of a pre-tourney evaluation camp. The reality is, the bulk of the roster is decided after the annual summer eval camp. Besides, the player pool to draw off of is considerably smaller than Canada's. This camp affords a handful of bubble players to make a case for their inclusion.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:34 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
It could be worse. It used to the final roster was named without the benefit of a pre-tourney evaluation camp. The reality is, the bulk of the roster is decided after the annual summer eval camp. Besides, the player pool to draw off of is considerably smaller than Canada's. This camp affords a handful of bubble players to make a case for their inclusion.
good point. but i think that they're plan is to bring 15 forwards. i would like to see a little more competition than that

Old
12-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Would love to see both Tyler Biggs and Garret Sparks on the team.

Sparks can steal games. I think, in a short tournament, that is the type of backup goalie you want.

Closed Thread