HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
No one player is going to determine how the team does as a whole. If you have a player who is clearly shooting with confidence there is a good chance he ends up shooting 30% for the tourney. If that's the case you probably lost 5 goals for the tourney. He could just as easily shoot 10% but that is a risk I would certainly take, especially with a 13th forward in your back pocket for late in the game.
Sorry, but I can't take that kind of approach to team construction-and apparently neither does USA Hockey. There is no doubt that Boucher's goal scoring ability/shot is impressive. However, as the team is constructed he doesn't fit the speed/grit quotient. I just don't think he'll be missed that much. Galchenyuk is a stand alone talent anyway.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Do you think the Russians will jeer Galchenyuk? Being fluent in Russian and his heritage would make me think he will be the media darling from the US team in Ufa. When he does well, the Russians will all say, "of course he's the best on USA since he has Russian bloodlines". He's a former teammate and friend of Russia's star player. He'd have a higher chance of being booed if the tournament was in Canada, since we take it too seriously sometimes and seem to like to jeer our neighbors. I still remember the death stares J. Johnson and Wheeler gave to four Surrey loudmouths sitting behind the penalty box when they played Finland in Vancouver. Wish I took a picture.

While those three are intimidating, I don't think Canada is too worried. Canada will have no one under 5'11" on the team and most have fair size. Wilson Jenner Ritchie is actually a bigger line. The 3 you mentioned will be a big presence though. I'd be worried about some of the very small players USA has. Two of your D are 168 pounds and Grimaldi and Gaudreau are among the smallest players in the tournament. 150 sounds so small in this tournament. I'm glad these guys have been playing against college players or I would be really scared for them.

Maybe not. He might be more of a curiosity than anything. I'll admit I'm not all that well-versed on Russian crowds.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:48 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
You think the EAAC is a better league?
Yeah, you sure seem like an expert on the "EAAC", whatever the hell that is.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Archibald is too old and I'm not sure which Wilson you're referring to.
He probably meant Penguins prospect Scott Wilson who's also '92 so too old for this tournament.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:10 AM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Yeah, you sure seem like an expert on the "EAAC", whatever the hell that is.
Sparks is on Guelph, they play good teams and I mean very good teams like London and Owen Sound all the time. Sparks is facing way better competition than somebody playing in whatever league the EAAC even is. I mean, its a no brainer.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:13 AM
tourlord*

C - Trouba

A - Miller

A - Galchenyuk

Old
12-06-2012, 10:13 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Sparks is on Guelph, they play good teams and I mean very good teams like London and Owen Sound all the time. Sparks is facing way better competition than somebody playing in whatever league the EAAC even is. I mean, its a no brainer.
I completely agree with this part.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
He probably meant Penguins prospect Scott Wilson who's also '92 so too old for this tournament.
He's also Canadian... so there's that.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:07 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
To me, they are going to have to physically dictate the games. I think they can do that with every team-including Canada. I mean, does anyone really want to face the likes of Matteau, Biggs, and Hartman?
Don't see how the US could dictate the game physically against Canada, seeing as Canada will most likely have an identical strategy and will have similar players. In fact, I think a lot of Canada's top players are pretty "tough" and physical themselves.

Last edited by jedimyrmidon: 12-06-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: need to finish post
Old
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
wings5

Who was the captain of the 93 NTDP team? I'm wondering why people have Trouba as a captain.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Don't see how the US could dictate the game physically against Canada, seeing as Canada will most likely have an identical strategy and will have similar players. In fact, I think a lot of Canada's top players are pretty "tough" and physical themselves.
Fair enough. Let's just say I don't see the U.S. wilting against Canada like other teams usually do.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:27 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Let's be real here. No Boucher is not (or should not) going to determine:

1) How the U.S. does as a whole
2) How Galchenyuk performs

As for the NCAA/CHL debate-there are 12 CHL kids on the eval camp roster (out of 27) with most if not all of them going to be on the final 23 man roster. When is the last time roughly half of the team was built that way? This anti-CHL bias just doesn't exist.
I never said Boucher is going to be the reason why this team wins or loses. I simply said not even inviting him is a mistake, nothing more then that.

to your 2nd point, I have to disagree with you here. Galchenyuk really couldnt find much chemistry with anyone at the summer eval camp, and though this wont be the summer camp, the same lack of familiarity remains.

Galchenyuk is a special player and I hope Gaudreau or Miller can work out wonderful as linemates for him.... but in a short tournament like this, having a guy like Boucher on your line where you know where he will be on the ice at all circumstances can make a big difference in Galchenyuks overall performance.

If Galchenyuk does not find that chemistry needed (which does happen with these US teams) I will find it as a huge mistake to have left Boucher home. I get to see a lot of Sarnia/Saginaw games and I seriously felt both Trocheck and Boucher should be on this squad hands down...

for the NCAA/CHL point...there are only 11 CHL members invited to this squad...I am sure you are counting Miller, but he is in the AHL now, doesnt count.

only 6 forwards from the CHL were invited, that is a low number in my eyes. and for as much talent as we have in the CHL, these numbers need to start going upwards as the talent is there...

2 of the 11 invited are goalies, so only 9 positional players from the CHL got invited this year...I am not calling it anti CHL, but all of us felt that starting this year these squads will be more CHL heavy then prior years due to the amount of talent playing in the CHL...this year seems no different then any of the prior ones to be honest.

Last edited by AmericanDream: 12-06-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 12:32 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
No one player is going to determine how the team does as a whole. If you have a player who is clearly shooting with confidence there is a good chance he ends up shooting 30% for the tourney. If that's the case you probably lost 5 goals for the tourney. He could just as easily shoot 10% but that is a risk I would certainly take, especially with a 13th forward in your back pocket for late in the game.
probably my first time ever agreeing with you....the world must be coming to an end...

I simply dont get why you leave a hot hand like this at home and not even invite the kid to camp..

Boucher doesnt win us Gold or lose without him being there, but having a kid like this shooting the puck as hot as he has been could of led to some big goals for this team.

Ofcourse someone else could step up and be that guy this year, but with the familiarity he has with Galchenyuk, and his insane shooting %, I am going to call leaving this kid home a mistake.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
I am not quite sure what the EAAC is but Sparks isn't competing against anyone from that league for the backup role so it shouldn't matter.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:38 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Don't forget there is a wildcard here. It looks like the NHL may be heading for a resolution of the lockout. How will that play out with the US roster. What players could possibly be attending NHL camps?
talk about a mess if this happens.

as much as I want my NHL back, I say these fools can keep the lockout/strike going for a few more weeks and start up after the WJC is over...

I want to see this tourney play out the way it currently is with a lot of talent on all squads...these guys have waited this long to play NHL, let them wait a bit longer

Old
12-06-2012, 12:41 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I am not quite sure what the EAAC is but Sparks isn't competing against anyone from that league for the backup role so it shouldn't matter.
one of the mysterys of life...I think the EAAC is some form of secret government hell bent on destroying back up American goalies from the CHL...

Old
12-06-2012, 12:42 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
one of the mysterys of life...I think the EAAC is some form of secret government hell bent on destroying back up American goalies from the CHL...
If that is the case then they probably put sparks on the recall list and will make the nhl camp start before the WJC so he losses his shot at backup.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:03 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Fair enough. Let's just say I don't see the U.S. wilting against Canada like other teams usually do.
I think Finland will have some say in that... But for the most part I agree.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:13 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Samuelsson and Erne are snubbed. I'm rooting for Russia. I loathe how the US program is run.
why root for Russia? I am sure that the Russian selection committee is run like a honest well oiled machine...

would rather you root for Latvia or Slovakia...an underdog..

Old
12-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Who was the captain of the 93 NTDP team? I'm wondering why people have Trouba as a captain.
Experience

Old
12-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
You think the EAAC is a better league?
I don't think that because it doesn't exist. I'll assume you meant ECAC but what I said was that Gillies faces tougher competition in Hockey East than Sparks does in the CHL.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:42 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
why root for Russia? I am sure that the Russian selection committee is run like a honest well oiled machine...

would rather you root for Latvia or Slovakia...an underdog..
Haha, Russia's selection committee is the most corrupt in the tourney!

They snub guys for coming and playing in NA and not staying in their jr and KHL programs.

I'm excited to see Galchenyuk. I think its awesome that he's identified himself as an American. Playing with Yakupov etc. it would be so easy for him to have started his international career with Russia. Its great for the American program, and I think its a good move for him as well. He's going to be a star.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:51 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I do have to admit that our goalies are huge!!

If you take out Biggs and Matteau, our top 3 (all around size height and weight) players on this roster are the goalies!!

thats pretty crazy.. all three netminders can fill out the damn net. All 6'2 and above. All atleast 211 pounds...Yipes!!

and yes I know Murphy and Jones are 6'4, but they are light on the lb's compared with these 3 mules...

Old
12-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Garret Sparks is 7-4 over 14 starts (.940 SV%, 1.94 GAA) since the beginning of November.

His competition:

OSHAWA GENERALS
STANDINGS: 9th in OHL
Notable players: Boone Jenner, Tyler Biggs, Michael Del Colle, Scott Laughton
45 shots, 1 GA
1st STAR

NIAGARA ICEDOGS
STANDINGS: 6th in OHL
Notable players: Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Strome, Brett Ritchie
8 shots, 3 GA (PULLED)

LONDON KNIGHTS X2
STANDINGS: 3rd in CHL
Notable players: Max Domi, Seth Griffith, Scott Harrington, Olli Maatta
60 shots, 3 GA
2nd STAR + 3rd STAR

OWEN SOUND ATTACK
STANDINGS: 6th IN CHL, 2nd in OHL
Notable players: Daniel Catenacci, Gemel Smith, Cameron Brace
39 shots, 0 GA (SHUTOUT)
1st STAR

SARNIA STING
STANDINGS: T10th in OHL
Notable players: Alex Galchenyuk, Reid Boucher, Connor Murphy, Anthony DeAngelo, Nikolay Goldobin
33 shots, 3 GA
2nd STAR

BRAMPTON BATTALION X2
STANDINGS: 12th in OHL
Notable players: Barclay Goodrow, Dylan Blujus, Blake Clarke
55 shots, 7 GA

BELLEVILLE BULLS
STANDINGS: T7th in OHL
Notable players: Malcolm Subban, Brendan Gaunce, Jordan Subban, Joseph Cramarossa
41 shots, 1 GA
2nd STAR

MISSISSAUGA STEELHEADS X2
STANDINGS: T7th in OHL
Notable players: Riley Brace, Stuart Percy, Dylan DeMelo, Trevor Carrick
48 shots, 2 GA
3rd STAR

ERIE OTTERS X2
STANDINGS: 18th in OHL
Notable players: Connor McDavid, Connor Brown, Oscar Dansk, Adam Pelech, Devin Williams
63 shots, 4 GA

KITCHENER RANGERS
STANDINGS: T3rd in OHL
Notable players: Matt Puempel, Radek Faksa, Tobias Rieder, Ryan Murphy
35 shots, 2 GA
2nd STAR

Just something to read. I hope he grabs that backup spot for the USA.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:28 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

kid certainly faces a ton of shots...

and if you take out those 2 dud games he had, his stats would be even more impressive...

I still think Gillies will get the backup job, but I will not complain either way...

thanks for that read...

Closed Thread