HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 02:58 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Poor Chad, the forgotten Pietela
They also have a Hietala, who set up Blake's goal.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:11 AM
Jaykay
Big Gulps huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Damn Yoopers!

Old
12-08-2012, 07:13 AM
flyers28giroux

Is it too late for Brady Vail to get an invite, because people on the Montreal board were impressed with the fact that Vail was out there almost every time Galchenyuk was out there and reportedly shut him down, which is pretty impressive. Vail would look nice on a fourth line with Matteau and Hartman.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
He's been really good this year, but that play was an absolute killer. Probably shouldn't delve too much into it since his play overall has been big. I mostly thought it was interesting because Pietila scored.

Random funny story but I confused the Pietilas on Michigan Tech and for the first period I couldn't figure out why the hell they called in Pietila because he was having a terrible game. Then I realized Blake was #19.
Quote:
Funny thing is, they have three Pietilas.

Blake Pietila, Chad Pietila, and Aaron Pietila. (Not sure the last one plays anymore though).

And they don't just have a Hietala. They have a Blake Hietila.

I though that was so weird when I saw that too.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Not too familiar with the US team, but I'm assuming Biggs has a good chance to make it? As a Leafs fan, I'm excited to see what he can do.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Exit Dose

Yeah, probably on the 4th line.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:00 AM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Not too familiar with the US team, but I'm assuming Biggs has a good chance to make it? As a Leafs fan, I'm excited to see what he can do.
I can tell you he won't be playing for the Leafs anytime soon. I'm not sure this kid will even crack the Marlies.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Probably, although I doubt it's on the fourth line.

Seems like the fourth line is going to be something of Pietila-Badreau. I mean I guess he could play on that line as well, but I think if he plays it'll be more of third line minutes, maybe even complimentary minutes in the top six.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:22 AM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:
his role is better suited on the third line with a Lucia/Trocheck combo... There is going to be a few guys whose role is entirely "4th" line duty, so Biggs to me is a lock for top 9.

I can see Matteau on the fourth line as his game and Hartman are so well suited for that role...I think Biggs can chip in enough offensively to be on our 3rd line, and possibly top line if Housley feels Gaudreau and Galchenyuk need some bouncer to protect them on the ice...though people knocked Boucher for not being a good enough skater to keep up with those two, not sure how on middle Earth Biggs could keep up with them as well..but just a potential idea if things get rough for Galy/Gaudreau..

Old
12-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
his role is better suited on the third line with a Lucia/Trocheck combo... There is going to be a few guys whose role is entirely "4th" line duty, so Biggs to me is a lock for top 9.

I can see Matteau on the fourth line as his game and Hartman are so well suited for that role...I think Biggs can chip in enough offensively to be on our 3rd line, and possibly top line if Housley feels Gaudreau and Galchenyuk need some bouncer to protect them on the ice...though people knocked Boucher for not being a good enough skater to keep up with those two, not sure how on middle Earth Biggs could keep up with them as well..but just a potential idea if things get rough for Galy/Gaudreau..
If that's what they're looking for on the top line, then they better bring Kerdiles. You get the physical game with better skating and hands.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Zippy316

Geez I'm so tired of the this guy is better ********.

The people who made the USA WJC preliminary roster have watched every player, most likely before we even knew who they hell they were, even the ones who didn't make the cut. They have their own idea on how this team is built, and they took the players that fit that build perfectly. None of us watched or scouted the players as intensively as they have, very few of us have watched enough of certain players to definitely say that "Player X" is better than "Player Y" or "Player X" brings more to the table than "Player Y."

It's not about bringing the best players to a tournament like this either, it's bringing the best team.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Exit Dose

I'm not saying that they should leave out Biggs. Relax.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
I'm not saying that they should leave out Biggs. Relax.
No, but your implying that Kerdiles is better than Biggs. Just like other people implying that Samuelsson is better than half the guys on the team and people saying Boucher should've made it over whoever.

It's just getting annoying, because the GM and Coach of the team know way, way more than we do.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
No, but your implying that Kerdiles is better than Biggs. Just like other people implying that Samuelsson is better than half the guys on the team and people saying Boucher should've made it over whoever.

It's just getting annoying, because the GM and Coach of the team know way, way more than we do.
Kerdiles is the guy that they specifically kept the door open to bringing in. He isn't outside this roster, yet - unlike the examples you gave.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
I can tell you he won't be playing for the Leafs anytime soon. I'm not sure this kid will even crack the Marlies.
Funny, I've heard the complete opposite. Heard he's doing well in Oshawa.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:09 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
No, he is not on the staff.
I kinda liked him...

Has anyone not in camp ever made the team ?

Old
12-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Cfriss216

He's doing really well in Oshawa, he plays on the top line with Jenner and a rookie named Dale Cole. Dale Cole looks very good for a young guy by the way...Anyway, I've seen Oshawa play a lot this year and Biggs is really somebody that I would want on my team. As I've been skimming these boards I haven't seen many people mention his shot. (If they have I apologize), but this kid has a very good release. He's exciting to watch.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Kerdiles is the guy that they specifically kept the door open to bringing in. He isn't outside this roster, yet - unlike the examples you gave.
I know, but I think it's safe to say, if they really thought he'd be that much more of a viable option like you're implying, he'd be there already.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I kinda liked him...

Has anyone not in camp ever made the team ?
Don't know examples, but I know it's definitely happened before.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I know, but I think it's safe to say, if they really thought he'd be that much more of a viable option like you're implying, he'd be there already.
We were talking about a hypothetical line combo. We don't know what the real lines are, yet.

He's not there already because they're still evaluating his game readiness.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
He's doing really well in Oshawa, he plays on the top line with Jenner and a rookie named Dale Cole. Dale Cole looks very good for a young guy by the way...Anyway, I've seen Oshawa play a lot this year and Biggs is really somebody that I would want on my team. As I've been skimming these boards I haven't seen many people mention his shot. (If they have I apologize), but this kid has a very good release. He's exciting to watch.
At the risk of sounding anal, I beleive you're talking about Michael Dal Colle. Off topic anyways, just fyi.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:23 PM
WTFMAN99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
I also don't think people realize how good his skating is, considering his size and such too.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I also don't think people realize how good his skating is, considering his size and such too.
I also think people don't realize he's also a Leafs prospect and therefore worth more than the others.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:

our track record at this event would suggest otherwise...

your acting like these people (GM/COACH/ETC) never have gotten it wrong, or dont make mistakes...errrrr....

sometimes players dont play as good as they did prior to the tournament, other times they just dont mesh, and sometimes our goalies just kill us... but there are plenty of cases that can be made for selecting the wrong players. I dont need to be a coach or gm to see that happens with our selection process over the past 10 years.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
our track record at this event would suggest otherwise...

your acting like these people (GM/COACH/ETC) never have gotten it wrong, or dont make mistakes...errrrr....

sometimes players dont play as good as they did prior to the tournament, other times they just dont mesh, and sometimes our goalies just kill us... but there are plenty of cases that can be made for selecting the wrong players. I dont need to be a coach or gm to see that happens with our selection process over the past 10 years.
I've never understood why USA doesn't hold a bigger camp.

Closed Thread